Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The X-Files series - coming 2013?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The X-Files series - coming 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The X-Files series - coming 2013?

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I have interest wholly dependent on price, but I can't see myself paying more than $30-40/season.
I'd hit w/ that price range as well. Plus it all comes down to how they end up looking...
Old 11-13-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

So many memories of this show, including buying the "themed" VHS three-packs and $150 DVD season sets. I watched each episode multiple times, and I bet if it'd been a few years later, it would have had the full complement of podcasts etc. that Lost did. Maybe it had usenet boards or something.
Old 11-13-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
24 has been a rumor for years. With the show done and gone it's less likely to come out. Maybe if his show Touch was a huge success....but that seems like it'll be dead come May.

Fox won't even finish out Prison Break in the US, which is just Seasons 2 and 4!
So, can I just forget about an Arrested Development set next year, or whenever the movie is released?
Old 11-13-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Is there a market for this? If these sell for $40-$50 a Season, that's nearly $500 for a complete Series. Who would pay that?
The same people that are currently shelling out close to $100 per season for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I'm a HUGE X-FILES fan and would be all over this release - especially if new extras/commentaries are involved.
Old 11-13-12, 02:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The same people that are currently shelling out close to $100 per season for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I'm a HUGE X-FILES fan and would be all over this release - especially if new extras/commentaries are involved.
Exactly. On both counts. As big as a fan I am of the show, I never got around to picking up the seasons due to the high cost. By the time they dropped to a realistic price, we were already in the Blu era, so I've held out for that. And considering this is just a rumor mill announcement, there isn't even a confirmed price point. Buying these on Blu with additional features will make if worth it for me to pick up in the $30-40 range.
Old 11-13-12, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Which wasn't a big seller....
Old 11-13-12, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yet they're still going to probably spend $$$ to remaster and release it on Blu. So what's your point?
Old 11-13-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/The-X-Files-Co...omplete+series

It looks like the X-Files complete series DVD set that came out back in 2007 is out of print now. It's now being sold by 3rd party sellers.
Old 11-13-12, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Yet they're still going to probably spend $$$ to remaster and release it on Blu. So what's your point?
Yet that doesn't mean they will release it on Blu-ray. Or all the Seasons if sales are low.

Plenty of shows don't get released on Blu-ray already that are ready for release with no additional work. X-Files sold week back in the early DVD days, but who knows if people will spend $50 for a 4x3 show that's available on DVD for $15 or free with Netflix streaming.
Old 11-14-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet that doesn't mean they will release it on Blu-ray. Or all the Seasons if sales are low.

Plenty of shows don't get released on Blu-ray already that are ready for release with no additional work. X-Files sold week back in the early DVD days, but who knows if people will spend $50 for a 4x3 show that's available on DVD for $15 or free with Netflix streaming.
They were satisfied with the sales of Season 1 to the point that not only are they still planning to release the rest of the series on Blu-Ray, but they are also releasing Enterprise on Blu, not to mention they are looking into giving Deep Space Nine the same treatment. Mind you, the main reason they are putting all this work into it is to have an HD version to sell in syndication, but they aren't showing any signs of discontinuing the Blu-Ray releases at all.

With that said, it's interesting if Fox does go the same route with The X-Files. I'm admittedly not a fan of the show, but I do like that they would be willing to actually put out an HD version of the show, rather than just upconvert, like they have with a few of their releases (Firefly, Simpsons, etc.). Maybe it could help other shows, like Buffy and Angel, get the same treatment.
Old 11-14-12, 07:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just rewatching this again recently and I will gladly purchase it again to get an upgrade in video quality, especially if they do end up recompositing the effects in HD.

With as dark (visually) as the series is a lot of the time any boost in PQ and detail will be gladly welcomed.

I just hope they have someone there paying attention when they put the sets together. Even if they don't want to make any new extras there were some new commentaries that were done for the Mythology sets that should be included along with all the original ones. I thought it was really shitty that they didn't already do this when they put together the Complete Series box last time.

It'd also be nice if they included the Mythology featurettes from those sets without having to buy a Complete Series set to get it on a bonus disc.
Old 11-14-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
I was just rewatching this again recently and I will gladly purchase it again to get an upgrade in video quality, especially if they do end up recompositing the effects in HD.

With as dark (visually) as the series is a lot of the time any boost in PQ and detail will be gladly welcomed.

I just hope they have someone there paying attention when they put the sets together. Even if they don't want to make any new extras there were some new commentaries that were done for the Mythology sets that should be included along with all the original ones. I thought it was really shitty that they didn't already do this when they put together the Complete Series box last time.

It'd also be nice if they included the Mythology featurettes from those sets without having to buy a Complete Series set to get it on a bonus disc.
I am sure Chris Carter might have some involvment, its not we have seen his name on any other tv show since the x files.
Old 11-14-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which wasn't a big seller....
According to whom? Last I heard, Paramount was very happy with the sales...that's why they greenlit ENTERPRISE and are thinking about converting DS9. I don't think Paramount ever expected Indiana Jones or Star Wars-like numbers for TNG.
Old 11-14-12, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
They were satisfied with the sales of Season 1 to the point that not only are they still planning to release the rest of the series on Blu-Ray, but they are also releasing Enterprise on Blu, not to mention they are looking into giving Deep Space Nine the same treatment. Mind you, the main reason they are putting all this work into it is to have an HD version to sell in syndication, but they aren't showing any signs of discontinuing the Blu-Ray releases at all.

With that said, it's interesting if Fox does go the same route with The X-Files. I'm admittedly not a fan of the show, but I do like that they would be willing to actually put out an HD version of the show, rather than just upconvert, like they have with a few of their releases (Firefly, Simpsons, etc.). Maybe it could help other shows, like Buffy and Angel, get the same treatment.
Isn't Star Trek Paramount?
Old 11-14-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good news. I missed everything past the second season back in the day so I'd be happy to get this.
Old 11-15-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The television series for Star Trek are controlled by CBS. The movies are from Paramount.
Old 11-15-12, 08:34 AM

And what's your point?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The television series for Star Trek are controlled by CBS. The movies are from Paramount.
CBS is owned by Paramount (or Viacom which owns Paramount), so it's the same company.
Old 11-16-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by obidawsn
CBS is owned by Paramount (or Viacom which owns Paramount), so it's the same company.
Yes, they are both owned by the same corporate entity, but the theatrical movie division known as Paramount is run by completely different people than the television division at CBS. What one does has virtually no impact on the other. It's like the music division and videogame division at Sony, they are run as separate entities and one has no say over the other. This is a common business arrangement among the huge global media conglomerates like Viacom.
Old 11-16-12, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by obidawsn
And what's your point?

My point is comparing PARAMOUNT to releasing Star Trek on Blu-ray vs FOX with X-Files is not the same. Two studios, two products. Fox is known to stop releasing shows on Blu-ray if not profitable enough. I've already cited Prison Break. I can also cite My Name is Earl, 24, and probably more shows they gave up on. X-Files will likely be $40+ a pop, regardless of "how much work they did restoring it" means nothing as the main reason to restore the show is for Syndication - not the dying Optical disc market. What retail store is going to devote shelfspace to X-Files Season 4 on Blu-ray when they are already reducing space each and every year for discs?
Old 11-27-12, 12:27 AM

This news may be of interest to X Files fans. It is starting to pop up on different fansites this week. There's supposed to be a leaked copy of this screenplay out there online although I haven't seen it yet. Word is it's pretty funny with not just the characters being satirized but also the actors too. Mulder and Scully ride again like we've never seen them before?

(News below)

"A source at the WETA digital workshops in New Zealand has confirmed that the new film is to be a co production between Chris Carter's Ten Thirteen Productions and Sir Peter Jackson's Wing Nut Films.

The working title is "U.S.T." and it is a "spoof" of the television show and is written by someone in New Zealand, possibly Sir Peter Jackson's wife Fran.

The source says it is a proper story and hope is high that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will star again.

An interesting piece of information is that British actor Sir Ian McKellen may appear as the evil CSM character or one like him.

This film was originally to have been made in New Zealand but apparently production is now to happen somewhere in the United Kingdom."
Old 11-27-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Credible link? Sounds lame anyway.
Old 11-27-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

A spoof sounds like a horrible idea. There are a couple of interviews from the last few months from David and Gillian. Both seem to think that a third movie will happen but Fox is the one holding it back. In some ways, I think I'd rather reboot the series with new leads and a whole new conspiracy than see a new movie. They could have Mulder and Scully guest star to hand over the torch.
Old 11-27-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate "handing of the torch" films. OG cast or fuck off (the film, not you).
Old 11-27-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a terrible idea, sorry.
Old 11-27-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Peter Jackson/Chris Carter idea sounds awful...but I actually think a reboot would work...if they got the right producers. I could totally see a series with new leads, but where David and Gillian occassionally pop up as either contacts or bosses for the new actors. Or they could reboot it the way DALLAS did...with a mix of the old and the new.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.