Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and VI

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and VI

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Personally, I couldn't care less about new Star Wars movies (considering the lack of quality of Episodes I-III); HOWEVER, the possibility of getting the classic UNALTERED trilogy on Blu ray is something that tickles my fancy. Now, unless George Lucas dickishly made it a contractual stipulation that they will never make it to Blu, and unless Disney suddenly decides they don't like making tons of money; how likely will it be that we could see something of this magnitude?

Last edited by PatD; 11-09-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Disney hardly releases anything catalog on Blu-ray.
Old 11-09-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by PatD
....unless George Lucas dickishly made it a contractual stipulation that they will never make it to Blu.....
This.
Old 11-09-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Star Wars isn't just "anything".
Old 11-09-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, I could see them handing these obscure titles off to Mill Creek.
Old 11-10-12, 12:02 AM

Oh please. It's always been part of the plan for the unaltered versions to be released. George's insistence on them not being released only adds to the hype and demand.

Once the 3d versions are done and have been out on blu for a year or two, they'll release the originals (they can't release them now because then there'd be no market for the updated versions when they're released in 3d over the next few years). That should be just in time for 4k to start taking hold and then they'll start the whole release process over again.

After all of these years with the Star Wars marketing machine, why is everyone still so naive to think that they'd leave that kind of cash lying on the table?
Old 11-10-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There are already heavy rumors from reputable sources that Disney will release the unaltered original Trilogy in the next two years. It won't be long before we get back Han shooting first.
Old 11-10-12, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never for one second believed that the original versions were lost forever because they were destroyed/un-restorable.
Old 11-10-12, 07:40 AM

Disney won't release the original unaltered versions until, at least, 2020. Fox still owns the distribution rights to the first two trilogies until then, unless Disney somehow gets the rights from them before them. That doesn't mean that Fox can't release the unaltered versions, though, so push them to do it, and it could be possible that Disney would put up the money to restore them for a portion of the profits.

As for the new trilogy, I'm pretty excited about it. The prequels were all Lucas, and he has hardly any part in these movies. He says he's a "creative consultant", but I doubt he'll have much control. It may be because he worked with the new screenwriter (Michael Arndt - "Little Miss Sunshine" & "Toy Story 3") on writing the treatments before the deal was made with Disney. That screenwriter has also studied the original Star Wars to determine what made them so popular. Disney is also sending the treatments out to popular directors (Spielberg, Abrams, Brad Bird, etc.) who have been mentioned by the fan base. Disney is pretty smart. They know how big of a deal this is. In fact, the $4b they spent on Lucasfilm was what they thought Star Wars was worth. All the other stuff was a bonus.
Old 11-10-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Disney won't release the original unaltered versions until, at least, 2020. Fox still owns the distribution rights to the first two trilogies until then, unless Disney somehow gets the rights from them before them. That doesn't mean that Fox can't release the unaltered versions, though, so push them to do it, and it could be possible that Disney would put up the money to restore them for a portion of the profits.
Fox doesn't have any creative control. They couldn't just restore them themselves and release them. Disney would have to do the restoration and give it to Fox. And of course Disney would get a portion of the profits, the larger portion actually. Fox's distribution deal is very favorable to Lucasfilm, and for all intents and purposes, Lucasfilm IS Disney now.

Its really just a matter of whether Disney wants to sink the money into restoraton, and if they're willing to let Fox distribute it and share the profits.
Old 11-10-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No thanks. I prefer to watch them the way they were meant to be seen; which in this case, is the Director's/Producer's cuts.
Old 11-10-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, maybe we should all just calm down and wait for Disney to reply in this thread. I mean, it was clearly created to grab their attention. Otherwise, it would be just another useless fucking SW thread whining about the same old shit, right?
Old 11-10-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
heavy rumors from reputable sources
Uh huh.
Old 11-10-12, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There are already heavy rumors from reputable sources that Disney will release the unaltered original Trilogy in the next two years. It won't be long before we get back Han shooting first.
Link?

The deal is a week old.
Old 11-10-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
Oh please. It's always been part of the plan for the unaltered versions to be released. George's insistence on them not being released only adds to the hype and demand.

Once the 3d versions are done and have been out on blu for a year or two, they'll release the originals (they can't release them now because then there'd be no market for the updated versions when they're released in 3d over the next few years). That should be just in time for 4k to start taking hold and then they'll start the whole release process over again.

After all of these years with the Star Wars marketing machine, why is everyone still so naive to think that they'd leave that kind of cash lying on the table?
You're right. This is all part of an ingenous plan to withhold selling a valuable product for 20 years, wait until the home video market has almost completely collapsed, and only THEN release it at a time when anyone left who might have once wanted it has lost all interest anyway.

It's brilliant!
Old 11-10-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
No thanks. I prefer to watch them the way they were meant to be seen; which in this case, is the Director's/Producer's cuts.
The question, of course, is when did he intend them to be which version?

If the George Lucas of 1977 had intended Greedo to shoot at Han first, Greedo would have shot at Han first.
Old 11-10-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The question, of course, is when did he intend them to be which version?

If the George Lucas of 1977 had intended Greedo to shoot at Han first, Greedo would have shot at Han first.
It wasn't technologically possible for Harrison Ford to duck when Greedo shoots at him in 1977. That is why we have the crappy special editions. Or at least that is what Lucas has claimed since 1997.
Old 11-10-12, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Guys, maybe we should all just calm down and wait for Disney to reply in this thread. I mean, it was clearly created to grab their attention. Otherwise, it would be just another useless fucking SW thread whining about the same old shit, right?
No, actually the thread would not actually meant to get Disney's attention, I mean come on. It was meant to provoke discussion. Unless I'm mistaken I thought that this is what this message board was all about, right?
Old 11-10-12, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You're right. This is all part of an ingenous plan to withhold selling a valuable product for 20 years, wait until the home video market has almost completely collapsed, and only THEN release it at a time when anyone left who might have once wanted it has lost all interest anyway.

It's brilliant!
You've got a good point. But, why do I have a feeling that the license holders of Star Wars are going to have at *least* try one more bite of the Blu ray apple? And what really would encourage Star Wars fans to plunk down more money to double dip? 3-D? Really?
Old 11-10-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind

You must spend a lot of money on all of George's "preferred" cuts - Each new version the way they were "meant to be seen."
Old 11-10-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, actually the thread would not actually meant to get Disney's attention, I mean come on. It was meant to provoke discussion. Unless I'm mistaken I thought that this is what this message board was all about, right?
I know these forums have been dead lately, but - seriously - do we need yet another discussion about the fucking unaltered trilogy? These fanboy fantasy threads do nothing but inspire arguments and ad nauseum repeats of the same worn path we've tread time and again.
Old 11-10-12, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. This is a shit thread.
Old 11-10-12, 04:37 PM
Suspended

You've got a good point. But, why do I have a feeling that the license holders of Star Wars are going to have at *least* try one more bite of the Blu ray apple? And what really would encourage Star Wars fans to plunk down more money to double dip? 3-D? Really?
They were not such hot sellers last year. Indiana Jones sales were pretty sad a few weeks ago (hence the $50 price already). The disc market is drying up. The best time to release them would be today, not tomorrow.

Remember - Just because they become released unaltered does not mean sales will be bigger. I sure as hell won't re-buy the Trilogy.
Old 11-10-12, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah. This is a shit thread.
And thank you for your contribution to it.
Old 11-10-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

And to me "unaltered" means the 20th Century Fox openings intact, which probably won't be there if Disney gets the rights to the movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.