Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and VI

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and VI

Old 11-11-12, 03:48 AM
  #26  
Member
 
Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Seems I recall the plan being to release the box sets (I-III, and IV-VI), and then a complete "collectors edition" of I-VI which was supposed to include the "originals".

In any case, it seems that even with all of the complaining about getting the "unaltered" versions, the sales of the DVD versions weren't as high as expected. Which makes it hard to justify the cost to get them onto Blu-Ray.
Old 11-11-12, 08:03 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,287
Likes: 0
Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Dogg
Seems I recall the plan being to release the box sets (I-III, and IV-VI), and then a complete "collectors edition" of I-VI which was supposed to include the "originals".

In any case, it seems that even with all of the complaining about getting the "unaltered" versions, the sales of the DVD versions weren't as high as expected. Which makes it hard to justify the cost to get them onto Blu-Ray.
The sales weren't that high, because when the word got out that they were non-anamorphic transfers from the old 1995 laserdiscs, a lot of fans who would have lined up like it was the new iPhone, said "screw this".
Old 11-11-12, 10:04 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,346
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by PatD
The sales weren't that high, because when the word got out that they were non-anamorphic transfers from the old 1995 laserdiscs, a lot of fans who would have lined up like it was the new iPhone, said "screw this".
PLUS! You had to re-buy the SE discs, that many of us had already bought in the box set just to get them. Had the originals been made with new (ish) 16x9 transfers, I would have gladly repurchased. Since they were no better than the laserdiscs or VHS I already had, there was no need.

They intentionally gimped the release to fit their own narrative (why am I reminded of a recent event concerning polls...?)



Anyways, I cannot see the House of Mouse dropping 4 billion big ones and not getting access to every possible permutation of the films. Fox still has the distribution rights till 2020 of the six movies, and then for A New Hope in perpetuity. Disney's lawyers probably have been thinking up ways six ways to Sunday to get Fox to share, and this may be a good thing for the fans. Maybe give Fox the rights to something like the specific 1997 SE versions only, and Disney does the originals. Or something really cool to see would be "extended editions" as if they were padding them for TV syndication in the 80's. Like no new FX, but with added footage like Biggs on Tattooine. Something to give Fox and Disney each a unique product to sell, and let the buyer decide (you know, "free market" and all that jazz).
Old 11-12-12, 01:22 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

There's no way Fox would refuse to license those films to Disney. Fox can't release 'em on their own, can they? So it would be only through a Disney deal that they get to make any more Star Wars money, and I'm sure they're interested in getting their last gasp in.

If Episode VII really does hit in 2015, then expect new Blu-Rays around then.
Old 11-12-12, 09:12 AM
  #30  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
There's no way Fox would refuse to license those films to Disney. Fox can't release 'em on their own, can they? So it would be only through a Disney deal that they get to make any more Star Wars money, and I'm sure they're interested in getting their last gasp in.

If Episode VII really does hit in 2015, then expect new Blu-Rays around then.
What retailers will carry movies on disc in 2015? Retailers have been cutting back for years, and in 2-3 years, the disc section will probably be as big as the magazines.
Old 11-12-12, 10:02 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,775
Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Fox still has the distribution rights till 2020 of the six movies, and then for A New Hope in perpetuity. Disney's lawyers probably have been thinking up ways six ways to Sunday to get Fox to share, and this may be a good thing for the fans. Maybe give Fox the rights to something like the specific 1997 SE versions only, and Disney does the originals.
Distribution rights are not the same thing as ownership. Disney owns the films now. Fox just distributes them. If Disney decides to re-release the movies tomorrow in any permutation they may want, that's Disney's call to make. Fox will author and press the discs, ship them to retailers, and take the same 6% share of the profits that their contract with Lucasfilm has allowed.
Old 11-12-12, 07:08 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,346
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Distribution rights are not the same thing as ownership. Disney owns the films now. Fox just distributes them. If Disney decides to re-release the movies tomorrow in any permutation they may want, that's Disney's call to make. Fox will author and press the discs, ship them to retailers, and take the same 6% share of the profits that their contract with Lucasfilm has allowed.
Understood.


But my musings were to point out possible ways for Disney and Fox to share distribution, especially after 2020 when Fox alone holds the rights to A New Hope. I don't see Disney releasing a box set of 8 movies, with an empty spot for you to put your ANH release from Fox in.

Though of course we could be past physical media by then, so who know?
Old 11-12-12, 07:18 PM
  #33  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,863
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
After all of these years with the Star Wars marketing machine, why is everyone still so naive to think that they'd leave that kind of cash lying on the table?
Because Lucas has been a swingbag for 20 years and refused to listen to the people that made him what he was ?
Old 11-12-12, 10:27 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,146
Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by milo bloom
But my musings were to point out possible ways for Disney and Fox to share distribution, especially after 2020 when Fox alone holds the rights to A New Hope. I don't see Disney releasing a box set of 8 movies, with an empty spot for you to put your ANH release from Fox in.
There are plenty of precedents of multi-company box sets, such as the Stanley Kubrick box sets and the James Bond box set. If they really want it to happen, they'll make it happen, regardless of your mental contortions to figure out how it could possibly work.
Old 11-13-12, 10:28 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,775
Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Todd B.
There are plenty of precedents of multi-company box sets, such as the Stanley Kubrick box sets and the James Bond box set.
The Bond box set is all one studio. The rights to Casino Royale reverted to MGM when Sony's distribution contract expired. That disc has been re-authored by MGM's new distributor, Fox.
Old 11-13-12, 03:35 PM
  #36  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Fuck with all the changes, I beginning to forget what the originals contained. But yeah having the originals released properly would be great
Old 11-13-12, 11:23 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,146
Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Bond box set is all one studio. The rights to Casino Royale reverted to MGM when Sony's distribution contract expired. That disc has been re-authored by MGM's new distributor, Fox.
Ah. Well, I'm sure there are additional box set examples out there.
Old 11-14-12, 09:19 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,775
Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Disney: Please Bring Us the Good Transfers of the Unaltered Episodes IV, V, and V

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Ah. Well, I'm sure there are additional box set examples out there.
There are. Oliver Stone Collection, Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, Terminator Anthology, etc.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.