Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cabaret - 02/05/2013

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Cabaret - 02/05/2013

Old 10-13-12, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabaret - 02/05/2013

This is buried in the James Dean thread, so I totally missed it, and thought it'd be cool to give it a thread of it's own.

As reported on Blu-Ray.com:
Warner Brothers will celebrate the 40th anniversary of director Bob Fosse's legendary Cabaret (1972) with a Blu-ray release on February 5, 2013. This beloved film, starring Liza Minnelli, Michael York and Helmut Griem, will be offered in a premium Blu-ray Book format, which contains 40 pages of insightful photos and text.

Cabaret was adapted from the Tony-winning stage production, which was in turn inspired by Christopher Isherwood's Berlin Stories and the play and movie I Am a Camera. This remarkable musical turns the pre-war Berlin of 1931 into a sexually charged center of decadence. Liza Minnelli gives a bravura performance as nightclub entertainer Sally Bowles, and Joel Grey is the master of ceremonies at the nightclub, also acting as the storyteller for the audience, exposing the seediness of the cabaret world. The superb songwriting team of Kander and Ebb contributes a string of memorable songs that not only entertain but also provide social commentary on the events of the time. Under the helm of director-choreographer Bob Fosse (All that Jazz), Cabaret becomes both a devastating drama and top-rate entertainment, and the result is one of the most memorable and meaningful screen musicals ever made.

In 1995, Cabaret was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". In 2006, Cabaret ranked #5 on the American Film Institute's list of best musicals.

Synopsis: Flamboyant and eccentric American entertainer Sally Bowles (Minnelli) sings in Berlin's decadent Kit Kat Club, even as Nazism rises in Germany in 1931. She falls in love with a British language teacher (York) – whom she shares with a homosexual German baron (Griem). But Sally's insular, carefree, tolerant and fragile cabaret world is about to be crushed under the boot of the Nazis as Berlin becomes a trap from which Sally's German friends will not escape.

Special Features:
Audio Commentary by Stephen Tropiano
Cabaret: The Musical That Changed Musicals New Featurette
Cabaret: A Legend in the Making
The Recreation of an Era
Marisa's Close-up Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Liza Minnelli Remembers...
Sally's Look Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Liza Minnelli Remembers...
Observing the Master Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Liza Minnelli Remembers...
Challenges Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Joel Grey Reminisces...
Collective Memory Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Joel Grey Reminisces...
Strange Inspiration Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Joel Grey Reminisces...
A Called Bluff Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Michael York Remembers...
Risk Taking Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Michael York Remembers...
Rush(es) Hour Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Michael York Remembers...
A Happy Accident Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Michael York Remembers...
Rock 'N' Roll Editing Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Martin Baum Reminisces...
Isherwood's Surprise Reaction Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Martin Baum Reminisces...
Smithsonian Honor Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Martin Baum Reminisces...
Tomorrow Belongs to Me Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Cy Feuer Remembers...
Taking on 'The Godfather Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Emanuel L.Wolf Reminisces...
Timeless Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Emanuel L. Wolf Reminisces...
Playing 'What If?' Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery; John Kander Remembers...
Almost a Nervous Breakdown Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: John Kander Remembers...
Sneaking a Peek Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: John Kander Remembers...
Play vs. Book Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Jay Presson Allen Reminisces...
Recruiting Hugh Wheeler Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Jay Presson Allen Reminisces...
Screening Blues Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Fred Ebb Remembers...
Screening Hues Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery: Fred Ebb Remembers...
Theatrical Trailer
Old 10-13-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Cabaret - 02/05/2013

Has it ever had a really good home video release? I'll guess not. It was never even anamorphic on DVD, so I never bought it.

I am getting this though. Amazon's pre-order price is under $20 right out of the gate. I usually wait on digibooks until they go to $20 or under. No waiting this time.
Old 10-13-12, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Has it ever had a really good home video release? I'll guess not. It was never even anamorphic on DVD, so I never bought it.

I am getting this though. Amazon's pre-order price is under $20 right out of the gate. I usually wait on digibooks until they go to $20 or under. No waiting this time.
The widescreen LD was par for its time, I think. Unfortunately its time was 1993 and its transfer is the one that was used for the SE LD and the DVD. Funny how everyone talks about Star Wars as if it's this exceptional case where there are a fair number of other films in the same boat (DVDs with aged, anachronistic transfers). I hope people don't freak out when the image is still soft and grainy, such is the look of the film.

Last edited by kidglov3s; 10-13-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Easily one of the best film musicals. I'll be getting this one for sure.
Old 10-14-12, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time! I'm in.
Old 10-14-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yay! It's a great movie, but I never bothered to buy it on DVD since all the versions were non-anamorphic and generally inadequate.
Old 10-14-12, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen the whole film just one sequence in it. I'm buying it though. It's fucking amazing just w/ that one sequence. I've always wanted to see the whole damn thing.
Old 10-14-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've never seen the whole film just one sequence in it. I'm buying it though. It's fucking amazing just w/ that one sequence. I've always wanted to see the whole damn thing.
OK, I'll bite, what sequence?

I haven't seen this in a looong time, but I remember my favorite sequence as
Spoiler:
Sally singing "Maybe This Time" and the camera starts out facing her head on, she's just killing the song, the camera is slowly wheeling around her, as she's about 2/3 of the way through, the camera is behind her, and we see the audience for the first time - only a few scattered patrons, all drunk, passed out, trying to pick up bar girls, and ignoring her completely. A great combination of performance and direction in that scene and in many others in the film as well.
Old 10-14-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Spoiler:
Sally singing "Maybe This Time" and the camera starts out facing her head on, she's just killing the song, the camera is slowly wheeling around her, as she's about 2/3 of the way through, the camera is behind her, and we see the audience for the first time - only a few scattered patrons, all drunk, passed out, trying to pick up bar girls, and ignoring her completely. A great combination of performance and direction in that scene and in many others in the film as well.
... which is a song that was not in the original Broadway production. The movie is such a different animal but a great transformation.
Old 10-14-12, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the stage production as well, but I think Fosse really tightened it up for the film.
Old 10-14-12, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
OK, I'll bite, what sequence?

Spoiler:
Mein Herr.

Minnelli relatedness...what are some good movies w/ her. I detest the way she has or was in the public...sounded like a crazy annoying bitch but I've no great judgement on her in film cuz...well...I don't watch any films w/ her for some reason. This one for sure has been on that list of films to see. What other good films has she done that should be seen?
Old 10-14-12, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Mein Herr.
Interesting. It was a single sequence that made me want to see the movie as well, except in my case it was Tomorrow Belongs to Me. Chilling, effective, heartbreaking, every time.
Old 10-14-12, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s
Interesting. It was a single sequence that made me want to see the movie as well, except in my case it was Tomorrow Belongs to Me. Chilling, effective, heartbreaking, every time.
This scene always hits me like a hammer every time. I love the cuts to the old man just shaking his head during the song.

One of my favorite movies of all time. I'm glad Warner Bros. is finally releasing it with a proper transfer and sound. Sounds like some decent extras as well.