Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

WB Ultimate Gangsters Collection Vol. 1 & 2 - coming 2nd Qtr 2013

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-10-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

From blu-ray.com:

Warner Bros. announced to media outlets its upcoming releases of The Ultimate Gangsters Collections Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 on Blu-ray. The 2 sets contain 8 of Warner's more notable entries to the genre: the first set compiling modern (and already available) gangster hits, while the second set contains 4 gangster classics making their Blu-ray debut. The packages include, GoodFellas, Heat, The Departed, The Town, Little Caeser, The Public Enemy, The Petrified Forest and White Heat. Other than the films themselves, no additional materials or special features have been made public. The The Ultimate Gangsters Collections Vol. 1 and 2 will be shooting up stores Q2 2013.

The gangster genre is a huge cornerstone in the legacy of Warner Bros., and the restoration and preservation of these films is carried out with much pride and care. Major Hollywood studios in the '30s and '40s were each known for their distinctive styles. Warner Bros. was best known for firmly establishing the genre of gangster films, which contained socially conscious themes and a simple visual look.

Volume One

Goodfellas - Henry Hill is a small time gangster, who takes part in a robbery with Jimmy Conway and Tommy De Vito, two other gangsters who have set their sights a bit higher. His two partners kill off everyone else involved in the robbery, and slowly start to climb up through the hierarchy of the Mob. Henry, however, is badly affected by his partners success, but will he stoop low enough to bring about the downfall of Jimmy and Tommy?

Heat - Neil McCauley is a thief -- an expert thief. His philosophy in life - become attached to nothing in life that you can't walk away from in 30 seconds if you spot the "Heat" around the corner. His crew of criminals is a high-tech outfit pulling off professional jobs that impress even the likes of Detective Vincent Hanna. But Hanna, a man driven through life only by his work, becomes obsessed, at the expense of his private life, with bringing McCauley down. As McCauley's crew prepare for the score of a lifetime, and Hanna's team tries to bring him in, the two find that they are challenged by the greatest minds on the opposite side of the law that either one has ever encountered.

The Departed - Two just-graduated officers from Massachusetts State Police Academy follow opposite sides of the law: Billy Costigan is assigned to work undercover with the Irish mobster Frank Costello to get evidences to arrest him. His true identity is only known by his superiors Dignam and Oliver Queenan. The protege of Costello, Colin Sullivan, is promoted in the Massachusetts State Police and is the informer of Costello. Each police officer gives his best effort trying to disclose the identity of the other "rat".

The Town - In Boston's bleak Charlestown, criminals depend on a code of silence; those caught serve their time. Doug MacRay masterminds bank robberies with three friends: the hotheaded Jem, Des, an electrician, and Al, their driver. After a dicey bank job, Doug must make sure the female bank manager, Claire, who lives in Charlestown, doesn't know who they are. He contrives to meet her and then finds her appealing. As the FBI zeroes in on the gang, Doug wants out, Claire doesn't know who he really is, and Jem and their money launderer, an aging florist, insist that Doug do one more job. Are prison and death the only ways out of Charlestown?

Volume Two New to Blu-ray, also Sold Separately

Little Caeser (1931) - The ambitious criminal Rico moves from the country to the big city in the east and joins Sam Vettori's gang with his friend Joe Massara. Sooner he becomes the leader of the gangsters and known as Little Caesar, and gets closer to the great mobster Pete Montana. In a robbery of a night-club, he kills the Crime Commissioner Alvin McClure and his pal Joe witnesses the murder. When Rico orders Joe to leave his mistress Olga Strassoff, she takes a serious decision.

The Public Enemy (1931) - Tom Powers and Matt Doyle are best friends and fellow gangsters, their lives frowned upon by Tom's straight laced brother, Mike, and Matt's straight laced sister, Molly. From their teen-aged years into young adulthood, Tom and Matt have an increasingly lucrative life, bootlegging during the Prohibition era. But Tom in particular becomes more and more brazen in what he is willing to do, and becomes more obstinate and violent against those who either disagree with him or cross him. When one of their colleagues dies in a freak accident, a rival bootlegging faction senses weakness among Tom and Matt's gang, which is led by Paddy Ryan. A gang war ensues, resulting in Paddy suggesting that Tom and Matt lay low. But because of Tom's basic nature, he decides instead to take matters into his own hands.

The Petrified Forest (1936) - Gabby lives and works at her dads small diner out in the desert. She can't stand it and wants to go and live with her mother in France. Along comes Alan, a broke man with no will to live, who is traveling to see the pacific, and maybe to drown in it. Meanwhile Duke Mantee a notorious killer and his gang is heading towards the diner where Mantee plan on meeting up with his girl.

White Heat (1949) - Cody Jarrett is the sadistic leader of a ruthless gang of thieves. Afflicted by terrible headaches and fiercely devoted to his 'Ma,' Cody is a volatile, violent, and eccentric leader. Cody's top henchman wants to lead the gang and attempts to have an 'accident' happen to Cody, while he is running the gang from in jail. But Cody is saved by an undercover cop, who thereby befriends him and infiltrates the gang. Finally, the stage is set for Cody's ultimate betrayal and downfall, during a big heist at a chemical plant.
Old 10-10-12, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: WB Ultimate Gangsters Collection Vol. 1 & 2 - coming 2nd Qtr 2013

Volume Two sure as hell has got my interest.
Old 10-10-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Volume Two sure as hell has got my interest.
+1

I wonder what, if any, restoration has been done on those classics.
Old 10-10-12, 02:55 PM
Banned

Maybe I've come to failure in understanding the term restoration but....in the case of putting it on BD. Wouldn't it be akin to a remaster? Same thing..kind of...yes?
Old 10-10-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Definitely in for Volume 2!!
Old 10-10-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Maybe I've come to failure in understanding the term restoration but....in the case of putting it on BD. Wouldn't it be akin to a remaster? Same thing..kind of...yes?
Yeah. WB did some cleanup and even found new source elements for some of those titles to prep the 2005 DVD releases. I just wonder if the masters for those DVDs will hold up as a source for BD eight years later (for example, they may have been 1080i digital masters).
Old 10-10-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volume 2 has my interest...
Old 10-11-12, 07:15 AM

Figures I just bought all 4 of the previous WB Gangsters sets last winter.
Still, pretty happy to see these old classics get released in HD.
Old 10-11-12, 08:24 AM

Any chance we'd get a new transfer for Goodfellas? That single layer disc for a 3 hours+ movie still bugs me.
Old 10-11-12, 09:48 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Volume Two shall be mine!
Old 10-11-12, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LPMA
Any chance we'd get a new transfer for Goodfellas? That single layer disc for a 3 hours+ movie still bugs me.
Doubtful. WB ain't ones to do that shit too often. Don't they just regularly repackage their current discs into things like these? In the case of Vol. 1.

Vol. 2...we need shit tons of info on those.
Old 10-11-12, 07:48 PM
Banned

Volume 2 for sure!
Old 10-11-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GoodFellas was already repackaged once for the 20th anniversary edition. I would hope this is a remaster because it really needs it.

I'd be in for both Volume 1 and 2 since I don't own any of the titles offered in the first volume but the second one really has my interest.
Old 10-12-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would really like to see GoodFellas given a new master and a lossless track, but I am not holding my breath.

The classics in volume two are very exciting though.
Old 11-14-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 760 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm so excited about Vol. 2! White Heat is one of my all-time favorite films. That movie alone piques my interest. I hope there will be more releases like this set. More Cagney and Bogart on Blu-ray is definitely a good thing.

Last edited by clckworang; 11-17-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bse
Volume Two shall be mine!
Old 11-18-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
I think there's hope since WB remastered Casablanca and fixed the issues the 1st blu ray release had so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Old 11-18-12, 11:21 AM
Banned

Even though when it was the 20th Anniversary of the film they just threw in the same BD from 2007 into the 2010 Digibook case.

I'm not holding out on that one getting bettered. Casablanca is a given. It's just...Casablanca. It's a very prestige title for them, not a standard catalog title like Goodfellas (regardless of how much we love it). Though I very much would love to get a better version of Goodfellas. I've yet to buy it cuz of it's quality.
Old 12-30-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the HTF crew met with WB recently to discuss their 90th anniversary plans for 2013. Goodfellas is part of the promotion and the strong feeling it'll be a remastered release.

But the version in this set could be the old disc.
Old 12-30-12, 05:35 PM
Banned

Don't fucking say that. That gets me very excited. And I don't want to be excited enough to fall in my false hopes on that fucker.
Old 12-31-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a list of some of the other 90th Anniversary titles coming out:

Spoiler:
Old 12-31-12, 09:17 AM

Oh wow The Big Parade.
Old 12-31-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Sadly, a lot of those look like nothing more than re-packaging of current releases.
Old 12-31-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Here's a list of some of the other 90th Anniversary titles coming out:

Spoiler:
Very interested in the 40th anniversary edition of Enter the Dragon. The current disc has noticeable jaggies having been sourced from a 1080i master. I don't know what they could possibly do on a new release of The Exorcist to make me rebuy though.
Old 12-31-12, 07:11 PM
Banned

Yeah ETD needs some work.

Wonder The Mad Max Collection will actually be in terms of a set.

Also...The Exorcist. Hrmmmm...kind of scared of that release.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.