Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

Old 06-08-14, 04:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: How many 3D Blu-Rays do you have?

Right, but those 3D movies released here, are they being released on blu in 3D? I actually don't know, does anyone know which 3D movies have been released theatrically but not on blu ray? I can only think of Frozen, but we already know that's coming in October.

And I don't know of one single movie that's been released on more 3D screens than 2D, even back in its heyday.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-08-14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Tron: Legacy
Prometheus
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Titanic
Hugo
Beauty and the Beast
The Adventures of Tintin
The Amazing Spider-Man
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Tangled
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Lorax
Man of Steel
World War Z
How to Train Your Dragon
Life of Pi
Predator
Dredd
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
The Great Gatsby
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Wolverine
The Wizard of Oz
Frozen (UK Import)
The Avengers
Pacific Rim
Thor: The Dark World
John Carter

Will be adding:
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Lego Movie (UK Import)
Old 06-08-14, 04:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
None that I know of. Seems pointless to waste money on a useless fad.
Old 06-08-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

They're still releasing 3D movies in theaters, but 2D screenings far outnumber 3D screenings, when it used to be the opposite.
Which simply shouldn't be happening- if a movie's made in 3D, it should be shown in 3D, period. I'm sure most of the people going to those 2D screenings are doing so mainly because they don't want to pay the extra charge for 3D, another thing that simply shouldn't be happening.

My parents went to Italy last month and picked up Frozen in 3D for me there- it's out in just about every country except the US and Canada. Stupid Di$ney.
Old 06-08-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As I have no interest in 3-D, and certainly don't want to pay for a format in which I'm uninterested, I'm glad that 2-D is an option. The money is a big part of it, but I've simply never seen something in 3-D where I've thought that I'd have missed out on something if I saw it in 2-D instead.
Old 06-08-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

And I don't know of one single movie that's been released on more 3D screens than 2D, even back in its heyday.
Overall, of course not, as there were still always more 2D screens in the country than 3D, but a few years back, it was not unheard of to walk into a multiplex and find the latest blockbuster playing on 2 3D Screens and 1 2D Screen. Now it's the other way around.
Old 06-08-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Which simply shouldn't be happening- if a movie's made in 3D, it should be shown in 3D, period. I'm sure most of the people going to those 2D screenings are doing so mainly because they don't want to pay the extra charge for 3D, another thing that simply shouldn't be happening.

My parents went to Italy last month and picked up Frozen in 3D for me there- it's out in just about every country except the US and Canada. Stupid Di$ney.
Released in 3D and MADE in 3D are two different things. Just because a movie's released in 3D doesn't mean that it was made in 3D or composed to be screened that way. So many 3D conversions are done as lazy afterthoughts and frankly don't deserve the extra money.
Old 06-08-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Either way, I'm glad there's a 2-D option. I've seen a few 3-D films, and to be honest, I never thought I was missing out on a lot if I'd simply chosen the 2-D option. I'm pretty much done with 3-D altogether, if there are interested parties, by all means, make it available to them, but I'm glad to have the choice.
Old 06-09-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Nothing to contribute? Surprising.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
As I have no interest in 3-D, and certainly don't want to pay for a format in which I'm uninterested, I'm glad that 2-D is an option. The money is a big part of it, but I've simply never seen something in 3-D where I've thought that I'd have missed out on something if I saw it in 2-D instead.
This is exactly the point. I have paid to see several 3d movies in theaters. I ahve yet to see one that really wowed me with the effect. They have all been very weak, or non existant in my opinion. Why would I want to pay more for a movie ticket, more for a home video release, more for a player and a tv to watch them on, for what I consider to be a rather crappy effect?
Old 06-09-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Gravity in Real 3d and Imax was the first (only) time that the tech has seemed to me, indispensable to the level of enjoyment I had...which was considerable.

I paid a premium for it and walked out feeling it had been well worth it.
Old 06-09-14, 02:11 PM

Nothing to contribute? Surprising.
yeah, because you're comment was just a wealth of commentary and constructive feedback in this thread.
Old 06-09-14, 02:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Any opinions on the added 3D to the Predator and I, Robot release? I'm thinking of getting one of them to take advantage of this movie cash deal at Amazon.
Old 06-09-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Old 06-09-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Any opinions on the added 3D to the Predator and I, Robot release? I'm thinking of getting one of them to take advantage of this movie cash deal at Amazon.
Both of these were quickie 3D conversions performed by the mostly-automated JVC conversion software. I, Robot is cropped from the original aspect ratio to full-screen 16:9 and is not very impressive in 3D. It suffers a lot of "pop-up book effect," where it looks like a series of flat planes arranged in front of one another.

I haven't seen Predator but am told that its 3D is slightly better (improvements in the software, I guess). However, it's been confirmed that the 3D version is based on the horrid "Ultimate Hunter Edition" transfer that was DNR'ed to hell and back, which is reason enough for me to avoid it. Predator is also a pretty dark movie, and dark images aren't well suited to 3D.
Old 06-09-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, because you're comment was just a wealth of commentary and constructive feedback in this thread.
Because my on topic opinion differs from yours it is somehow less valid? Someone sure has a high opinion of himself.
Old 06-09-14, 04:08 PM

Because my on topic opinion differs from yours it is somehow less valid? Someone sure has a high opinion of himself.
did you not read the title of the thread?
Old 06-09-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Here're mine:

Bait
Creature from the Black Lagoon (UK edition)
The Darkest Hour
Dial M for Murder
Epic
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5
Finding Nemo
Gravity
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II
Hugo
Life of Pi
My Bloody Valentine
Nitro Circus: The Movie
Pacific Rim
Paranorman
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Prometheus
Sadako 3D
Saw: The Final Chapter (UK edition)
Shark Night (UK edition)
Shock Labyrinth 3D
Spiders
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Tormented 3D
Tron: Legacy 3D
Upside Down
The Wolverine
Wrath of the Titans

The way I see it, if a film was designed and shot to be shown in 3D, then I want to watch it in 3D...as that's how the filmmakers intended for the film to be seen. If it's been post-converted to 3D, I'm not quite as much of a stickler. Still, if a filmmaker intended for the film to be seen in 3D, then watching it flat is no better than watching it in a modified aspect ratio--you're not staying true to the way the director wanted it to be seen.

If a film I like was shot in 3D, then I'm buying it in 3D and watching it in 3D.
Old 06-09-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did you not read the title of the thread?
I did. You apparently did not, as my post directly answered the question asked.
Old 06-09-14, 05:19 PM

I did. You apparently did not, as my post directly answered the question asked.
with a little snide comment to emphasize the fact that those of us that collect them and enjoy them to boot.
Old 06-09-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

with a little snide comment to emphasize the fact that those of us that collect them and enjoy them to boot.
What comment was that? That it is pointless to waste money on a useless fad?
Old 06-09-14, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I paid $9.99 for each one, and I don't think it's worth it, mostly for the reasons Josh mentioned like wrong aspect ratio. And Predator doesn't lend itself well to being presented in 3D. The best parts were only when they showed the Predator, and even then it wasn't a robust 3D image. And yes, overall it was dark, so it's not like the 3D popped out at you.
Old 06-09-14, 05:36 PM

What comment was that? That it is pointless to waste money on a useless fad?
Useless to you maybe, but not others and this really wasn't a thread to even make such a dickish comment which is merely opinion.
Old 06-09-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Lion King
Prometheus
Avengers
Finding Nemo
Frozen
Gravity
David Attenborough 3D collection
How to Train Your Dragon
Monsters, Inc.
Monsters University
Tangled
The Wizard of Oz
Titanic
Wreck-It Ralph
Secret of the Wings
Jurassic Park
World War Z
Amazing Spider-Man
Dredd
Predator
Jumper
I, Robot
Imax: Under the Sea
Imax: Deep Sea
Legend of the Guardians
Rio
The Great Gatsby
Life of Pi
Hugo
House of Wax
Man in the Dark
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Hobbit

I just got my first 3DTV a couple of weeks ago and I'm like a kid in a candy store for the first time. I've got 1080p passive 3D and it looks so good it's definitely going to be more than a useless fad in my house.
Old 06-09-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Useless to you maybe, but not others and this really wasn't a thread to even make such a dickish comment which is merely opinion.
And you post an idiotic comment which is merely opinion. What is your point? You dont agree with my opinion, so you call it dickish. Well guess what? Not only are you acting like a third grader but I don't really care what you think. The beauty of opinions is they are just like assholes. Everyone has them. Some are just bigger than others.
Old 06-09-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Both of these were quickie 3D conversions performed by the mostly-automated JVC conversion software. I, Robot is cropped from the original aspect ratio to full-screen 16:9 and is not very impressive in 3D. It suffers a lot of "pop-up book effect," where it looks like a series of flat planes arranged in front of one another. I haven't seen Predator but am told that its 3D is slightly better (improvements in the software, I guess). However, it's been confirmed that the 3D version is based on the horrid "Ultimate Hunter Edition" transfer that was DNR'ed to hell and back, which is reason enough for me to avoid it. Predator is also a pretty dark movie, and dark images aren't well suited to 3D.
I just bought the old Blu, kept my SE DVD for the old extras, and contented myself with that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.