Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers - 3D Blu Ray metal case.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Avengers - 3D Blu Ray metal case.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: The Avengers - 3D Blu Ray metal case.

I didn't say it was fake I said it looked fake.
Old 09-24-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Why do I think it's stealing if you get the refund, and still keep the case? Um. I guess I just think it's a little dishonest. People are built differently I suppose. If I got a refund, I would return the case. But YMMV.
Obviously Best Buy doesn't think it's stealing.
Old 09-24-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Obviously Best Buy doesn't think it's stealing.
HOPEFULLY they will wise up in the future and require a pre-order case to be returned to get the refund.
Old 09-24-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Why? It probably costs them next to nothing to offer those cases.

This has been discussed before by the morality police and maybe it was you then too.
I would guess that these cases are given to BB so there may not be any cost to them.

I bet for every fifty they sell for $7.50 less then half of those are actually used towards the
Bluray when it's in store and of that other 25 left maybe five go in for a refund.

BB doesn't lose anything on these cases they offer for $7.50.
Old 09-24-12, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^especially with the mark up they have on majority of their products.

On another note BB in Colerain, OH was completely out of the case today, should have picked it up when I had the chance.
Old 09-25-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Ended up getting to Target about 20 minutes before they opened... up until 5 minutes before opening I was the only car in the regular part of the parking lot (employees were off to the side).. there were a couple employees cleaning in front of the store (power washing and picking up trash).. and there were 2 seagulls..

just about 5 minutes before opening.. in came a small amount of cars.. maybe 10.... and they parked.. when these folks got out of their cars.. I didn't think everyone was there for Avengers.. boy was I wrong..

the doors opened.. and all of us went to where the discs were setup... the 3D set was shelf marked $24.99... and they had the regular Blu set (the one mentioned they wouldn't get) marked $19.99.. I thought.. hmmm... maybe that was a regional thing or mistake on the website or urban legend..

then I heard the worker that was there talking to the small group of people.. explaining that it is $5 more to get the 3D set.. but if you want to save $5.. the regular set would be good... so I changed my plan to buy 2 and grabbed 1 ... then I noticed the price scanner nearby..

scanned the 3D set.. and .. it was $19.99.. so as I grabbed a 2nd copy (an Xmas present)... I told the people with the employee and the employee that the 3D set was indeed still $19.99... so basically the same price.. and here it is.. the punchline..

the employee told all of us.. that yes ... "right now".. it is $19.99 because they had price matched themselves on the other set as they orginally didn't think they were going to get any ... but now that they did get them ... the $19.99 price for the 3D set will only work for a little while "today only"....

so the 70 year old guy that was there buying 5 copies (assumed for his grandchildren or that is gonna be us in a few decades)... put his non-3D sets back to get the 3D sets..

basically the employee was trying to steer people away from the 3D set.. likely to allow it to go back up to $24.99... but that small pack of us that were there early didn't take the bait.. (I even told a couple people in the checkout.. who went back to change up to the 3D set)...

happy hunting...
Old 09-25-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

so... many... ellipses...

Old 09-25-12, 12:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Ended up getting to Target about 20 minutes before they opened... up until 5 minutes before opening I was the only car in the regular part of the parking lot (employees were off to the side).. there were a couple employees cleaning in front of the store (power washing and picking up trash).. and there were 2 seagulls..

just about 5 minutes before opening.. in came a small amount of cars.. maybe 10.... and they parked.. when these folks got out of their cars.. I didn't think everyone was there for Avengers.. boy was I wrong..

the doors opened.. and all of us went to where the discs were setup... the 3D set was shelf marked $24.99... and they had the regular Blu set (the one mentioned they wouldn't get) marked $19.99.. I thought.. hmmm... maybe that was a regional thing or mistake on the website or urban legend..

then I heard the worker that was there talking to the small group of people.. explaining that it is $5 more to get the 3D set.. but if you want to save $5.. the regular set would be good... so I changed my plan to buy 2 and grabbed 1 ... then I noticed the price scanner nearby..

scanned the 3D set.. and .. it was $19.99.. so as I grabbed a 2nd copy (an Xmas present)... I told the people with the employee and the employee that the 3D set was indeed still $19.99... so basically the same price.. and here it is.. the punchline..

the employee told all of us.. that yes ... "right now".. it is $19.99 because they had price matched themselves on the other set as they orginally didn't think they were going to get any ... but now that they did get them ... the $19.99 price for the 3D set will only work for a little while "today only"....

so the 70 year old guy that was there buying 5 copies (assumed for his grandchildren or that is gonna be us in a few decades)... put his non-3D sets back to get the 3D sets..

basically the employee was trying to steer people away from the 3D set.. likely to allow it to go back up to $24.99... but that small pack of us that were there early didn't take the bait.. (I even told a couple people in the checkout.. who went back to change up to the 3D set)...

happy hunting...
what does any of this have to do with the Metal Box™??
Old 09-25-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leem6453
I'm in Kandahar. I appreciate all the support guys.
Ooohhhh, grab me a Book of the Dead while you're there.
Old 09-25-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Anyone have any trouble with the whole pre-order thing? Did BB employees know how to deduct the 7.50 and go from there?
Old 09-25-12, 01:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I never understood why every time I get a steelbook preorder, when I go back to pick up the movie, every Best Buy person seems genuinely stumped on how to do it. They act like it's the first time they've encountered a preorder and don't know what to do.
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Anyone have any trouble with the whole pre-order thing? Did BB employees know how to deduct the 7.50 and go from there?
Exactly.
Old 09-25-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
what does any of this have to do with the Metal Box™??
For those that may be looking for where to get the m aterial to fill that box...
Old 09-25-12, 02:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
For those that may be looking for where to get the m aterial to fill that box...
um...right. i am sure that was your point.
Old 10-19-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would anybody like the $10 Sideshow code that came with my case? I'm not likely to use it, so I want to pass it on to anyone who may.

Please send a PM if you want it.