Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Road Warrior

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Road Warrior

Old 06-24-12, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Road Warrior

Hidddyy Hooooeee!

I was about to pull the trigger on this and wanted to know if this was legitly as bad ass a film as people make it out to be? I ask this because I don't trust the reviews on Amazon based on the sole fact that most people who go through the trouble of posting reviews are usually big fans of the title already or they leave positive reviews just because it was part of their childhood. Nothing wrong with that, lord knows I have my own share of guilty pleasures from childhood , but I need to know for sure before I drop $35. I just saw the original mad max on BD and I came away feeling iffy about it. Half of me wants to give the second one a try and the other half doesn't. The main reason why I'm considering it is because I saw this.

No i don't have a netflix account and please don't tell me to buy used, I prefer new, just my personal preference.

Blade Runner?
Spoiler:
F&^% you guys. Yeah, I was wrong about the Blade Runner re-release, but atleast I'm man enough to admit it. (even if it took me 4 weeks to have the balls to show my face here. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't write this without hiding it in a spoiler tag.)

Last edited by vdc530; 06-24-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The Road Warrior

Oh.

You came back.

Old 06-24-12, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Is this out of print? Shiiiiiiiit
Old 06-24-12, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Oh.

You came back.

Only to spread happiness and joy to bananas everywhere.

Last edited by vdc530; 06-25-12 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Probably going to be replaced with an updated release....maybe a new xfer, more likely just a combo pack with unneeded DVD and DC. Either way, no reason to pay $35 for a bare-bones catalog title in this day and age.
Old 06-25-12, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vdc530
Hidddyy Hooooeee!

I was about to pull the trigger on this and wanted to know if this was legitly as bad ass a film as people make it out to be? I ask this because I don't trust the reviews on Amazon based on the sole fact that most people who go through the trouble of posting reviews are usually big fans of the title already or they leave positive reviews just because it was part of their childhood. Nothing wrong with that, lord knows I have my own share of guilty pleasures from childhood , but I need to know for sure before I drop $35. I just saw the original mad max on BD and I came away feeling iffy about it. Half of me wants to give the second one a try and the other half doesn't. The main reason why I'm considering it is because I saw this.

No i don't have a netflix account and please don't tell me to buy used, I prefer new, just my personal preference.

Blade Runner?
Spoiler:
F&^% you guys. Yeah, I was wrong about the Blade Runner re-release, but atleast I'm man enough to admit it. (even if it took me 4 weeks to have the balls to show my face here. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't write this without hiding it in a spoiler tag.)
I just want you to know. You're pretty shitty at making threads. Get to the point and stop pussyfooting around.

Also...why the fuck would you pay 35 bucks for this? It's been much lower before. And considering that Mad Max 4 is literally in, I guess a healthy, pre production that now has cast Theron...we may get the movie again in a re release sometime down the line.

Road Warrior is awesome. it's not paying 35 dollars for a BD that's been out for years though. Look around in stores if it really is OOP. Some random store might have it, maybe a book store or something.
Old 06-25-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

By all means, buy it for $35. It would be fitting for you to drink some of that kool-aid you've been trying to pour down the forum's throat the last few months.
Old 06-25-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buy High Fidelity first!
Old 06-25-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Heaven forbid you buy the "like new" copy for $14.99 in the used section.
Old 06-25-12, 04:53 PM

LOL I knew you guys would have a shit attack over this thread, your a very predictable bunch of overly paranoid cynics. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the fact that I purchased Mad Max 1 while the second one is out of print wasn't some grand master plan I hatched to time the events together and suck the money out of you. Keep your money, it seems like you really need it. I on the other hand can afford to drop $35 on a blu-ray if the film is good enough.

And honestly, ask yourselves, why would I be here trying to sell something to you? You guys don't even seem to have any money.
Old 06-25-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-25-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, you won't know whether you think the movie is worth $35 until you watch it, regardless of what people might say to you either way. But as has been pointed out, the Mad Max films will most likely be revisited when the new film is released. If you were iffy on the first one, why not just wait until then?
Old 06-25-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Also...why the fuck would you pay 35 bucks for this?
Yeah, but 35 bucks is only about a 1/4th the reported cost of a High Fidelity disc, so this is kind of a bargain when looked at that way.
Old 06-25-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The Ayatollah of Shilling Trolla
Old 06-26-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Heaven forbid you buy the "like new" copy for $14.99 in the used section.
Or an "entirely new" copy for $16.95.
Old 06-26-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Well, you won't know whether you think the movie is worth $35 until you watch it, regardless of what people might say to you either way.
This. Even if everyone else in the world loved it, you could still hate it.

That said, I do agree that Amazon reviews aren't the best source for judging consensus on a movie. For that, I'd got to rottentomatoes or imdb:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_..._warrior_1981/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082694/
Old 06-27-12, 01:34 AM

I was starting to agree with you guys, then I had a thought...

I agree that a re-release isn't too far away. Maybe it goes OOP forever, who knows? but likely hood is they'll have a re-release by Christmas. However, Warner Bros just took one of their most successful Home Video releases in history, discontinued it, and then announced a re-release with the EXACT same transfer that they had prepared for a dead and inferior format back in 2007. Even the exact special features they worked on over 5 years ago! If they did that to Blade Runner, you swear they're gonna give two shits about The Road Warrior when it comes time for it's re-release.

I had completely forgotten about the marketplace (Thanks NoirFan!), on there is an average American is trying to sell his unused personal copy for a little cash and I rather fork it over to him then wait for a re-release and reward Warner's crappy business tactics. If your going to double dip/triple dip/etc, especially during a recession, at least create a new transfer! I guess they've been soooo busy creating jobs in India and Poland, while laying off American workers they've forgotten what year it is.

I can care less about this communities mentality of rewarding companies like this just "because it's cheaper." The reason why your so cash strapped isn't because you spend $35 on a blu-ray, it's because you rather pay $20 to a bottom line obsessed corporation.

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Last edited by vdc530; 06-27-12 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-27-12, 11:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

u r a tool
Old 06-27-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I was starting to agree with you guys, then I had a thought...

I agree that a re-release isn't too far away. Maybe it goes OOP forever, who knows? but likely hood is they'll have a re-release by Christmas. However, Warner Bros just took one of their most successful Home Video releases in history, discontinued it, and then announced a re-release with the EXACT same transfer that they had prepared for a dead and inferior format back in 2007. Even the exact special features they worked on over 5 years ago! If they did that to Blade Runner, you swear they're gonna give two shits about The Road Warrior when it comes time for it's re-release.

I had completely forgotten about the marketplace (Thanks NoirFan!), on there is an average American is trying to sell his unused personal copy for a little cash and I rather fork it over to him then wait for a re-release and reward Warner's crappy business tactics. If your going to double dip/triple dip/etc, especially during a recession, at least create a new transfer! I guess they've been soooo busy creating jobs in India and Poland, while laying off American workers they've forgotten what year it is.

I can care less about this communities mentality of rewarding companies like this just "because it's cheaper." The reason why your so cash strapped isn't because you spend $35 on a blu-ray, it's because you rather pay $20 to a bottom line obsessed corporation.

Th-th-th-that's all folks!
Promise?
Old 06-27-12, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
u r a tool
that's weak shit. i probably would've called him something worse.
Old 06-27-12, 03:26 PM

Looks like I hit a nerve, again. When your right, you're right. What can I say? No point in getting butt hurt about it.

Best $20 bucks I spent all week. You guys can go back to counting your pennies, your selfish ideas are no longer welcome in my eyes.

Last edited by vdc530; 06-27-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bought my copy for $4 at Blockbuster.
Old 06-27-12, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
Bought my copy for $4 at Blockbuster.

Awesome. Congrats. Was that the pre-owned price? Because I've never even seen blockbuster sell even their pre-owned stuff for that cheap.

Nice find dude.
Old 06-27-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I hit a nerve, again. When your right, you're right. What can I say? No point in getting butt hurt about it.

Best $20 bucks I spent all week. You guys can go back to counting your pennies, your selfish ideas are no longer welcome in my eyes.
Old 06-27-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Awesome. Congrats. Was that the pre-owned price? Because I've never even seen blockbuster sell even their pre-owned stuff for that cheap.
Blockbuster has had 5 for $20 Blu-ray sales in the past:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...ly-viewed.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.