Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will There Be *Individual* Releases of the Star Wars on BD (a'la the 2006 DVDs?)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will There Be *Individual* Releases of the Star Wars on BD (a'la the 2006 DVDs?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I sometimes wonder if George Lucas will try one more round of repackaging SW for home video (need I really wonder?).

So...if (when) he releases individual releases on Blu ray, like he did with the 2006 DVDs--what kind of bonus stuff would he include that the he would count on the completists not be able to resist passing up?

Maybe, just *maybe* he would finally release anamorphic transfers of The Original Original Trilogy as respective bonus discs for each individual release, but with the caveat that it would be a DVD rather than a Blu ray. It would be a step up from 2006, but in pure George Lucas-fashion, it would still be a cynical cash grab and a passive-aggressive middle finger to the fans thats been spanning over a decade and a half.

Time will tell.

Last edited by PatD; 06-03-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Will There Be *Individual* Releases of the Star Wars on BD (a'la the 2006 DVDs?)

If Lucas did an individual release that included the Unaltered Original Trilogy, I'm pretty sure he would include the non-anamorphic versions and say "The original materials do not exist to create an anamorphic version. Besides, it's only an extra."
Old 06-03-12, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will There Be *Individual* Releases of the Star Wars on BD (a'la the 2006 DVDs?)

Possibly but with Greedo replaced by Howard The Duck and he shoots and kills Han.
Old 06-03-12, 01:23 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If Lucas did an individual release that included the Unaltered Original Trilogy, I'm pretty sure he would include the non-anamorphic versions and say "The original materials do not exist to create an anamorphic version. Besides, it's only an extra."
He also said that the 1997 Special Editions were his "definitive" editions of his films and later quietly altered them across the board twice more in 2004 and 2011. George's words have never been rock solid.
Old 06-03-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure there will be individual releases of the 3D versions which will likely have the 2D version on it
Old 06-03-12, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I'm sure there will be individual releases of the 3D versions which will likely have the 2D version on it
This IS Lucas we're talking about...
Old 06-03-12, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't come to SW threads very often but...I did today. Are people w/ some sense of logic still willing to give that man money?
Old 06-03-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Didn't I read somewhere that Lucas was stepping down from Lucasfilm? If it's true, I'm not sure what it means for the company, but I would love to take it over for one day and get an BluRay release of the OOT and then resign the day it's released!
Old 06-03-12, 03:54 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm personally awaiting a Superman part 3 individual release.
Old 06-03-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I don't come to SW threads very often but...I did today. Are people w/ some sense of logic still willing to give that man money?
The only thing I'm giving him money for is the Indiana Jones box set. That's really more because Spielberg hasn't let him fuck with all the movies in the series (with exception to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). Not to mention all the money he's getting from me indirectly from films ILM has done work on. Aside from that I won't give him any more money for Star Wars related things.
Old 06-03-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
So...if (when) he releases individual releases on Blu ray, like he did with the 2006 DVDs--what kind of bonus stuff would he include that the he would count on the completists not be able to resist passing up?

Maybe, just *maybe* he would finally release anamorphic transfers of The Original Original Trilogy as respective bonus discs for each individual release, but with the caveat that it would be a DVD rather than a Blu ray. It would be a step up from 2006, but in pure George Lucas-fashion, it would still be a cynical cash grab and a passive-aggressive middle finger to the fans thats been spanning over a decade and a half.
... and then fans will receive a respectable HD master once hyper-HD comes out. The cycle will continue.

I won't lie: I'd actually buy the individual releases if they tossed in a bare-bones second disc that had nothing but a cleaned-up scan of the untouched version of the film(s), either paired with a Master Audio or multi-channel Dolby Digital track.
Old 06-03-12, 08:14 PM

I watched my VHS copies of the non-bastardized versions the other day. They will have to do me till the day I die because Lucas will not get another dime from me.
Old 06-04-12, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
The only thing I'm giving him money for is the Indiana Jones box set. That's really more because Spielberg hasn't let him fuck with all the movies in the series (with exception to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). Not to mention all the money he's getting from me indirectly from films ILM has done work on. Aside from that I won't give him any more money for Star Wars related things.
I keep forgetting Lucas is involved w/ Indy. I just solely think of it as a Spielberg thing. In the SW sense.
Old 06-04-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never understood the level of hate against the guy. Yes, I don't agree with what he does on some stuff but I wouldn't stop buying something I liked just so the guy wouldn't get some percentage of my money. It's not like he's funding the burning of hospitals or something. It's just movies.
Old 06-04-12, 11:39 AM
Banned

He's essentially fucking w/ history. Chaplin may have done the same but we got the originals.
Old 06-04-12, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the blu ray releases of the Star Wars Saga...but then again I am not that into Star Wars. Episodes 4-6 sound amazing on the surround sound.
Old 06-04-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I've never understood the level of hate against the guy. Yes, I don't agree with what he does on some stuff but I wouldn't stop buying something I liked just so the guy wouldn't get some percentage of my money. It's not like he's funding the burning of hospitals or something. It's just movies.
For me it's because of how much of a dick he is about the whole thing. He knows that a certain group of people want the originals and would likely buy both versions if both were available but because they don't fit in with his vision we can't have them. It's just dumb to me that he's so stubborn about it. He can make changes as he wishes but there's no reason he can't release the originals alongside with his versions for people who want them.
Old 06-04-12, 01:26 PM

The Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOO" added to Jedi was just the latest fuck you to the fans. It is like he knew how much the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was hated from ROTS so he decided to put it in Jedi to be a ****. I am suprised he didn't have the balls to add it to ANH and ESB.
Old 06-04-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

A very good watch:

http://www.amazon.com/The-People-Vs-...8836385&sr=8-2
Old 06-04-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
The Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOO" added to Jedi was just the latest fuck you to the fans. It is like he knew how much the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was hated from ROTS so he decided to put it in Jedi to be a ****. I am suprised he didn't have the balls to add it to ANH and ESB.
I know that was the tipping point for me. As soon as it was confirmed that shit was in there I cancelled my pre-order. I will not own any version of Jedi with that in there or Star Wars with that stupid new Krayt Dragon call. I'll take an SE of Empire and be happy about it.
Old 06-04-12, 10:43 PM

I have only just found out the 2006 DVDs were not optimized for 16:9, since I didn't give in to get them. He seriously gets away with crap like this?
Old 06-04-12, 11:59 PM

He'll get more money from me if he releases either a) anamorphic DVD's of the original unaltered trilogy, or b) Blu-rays of the original unaltered trilogy. I'm not interested in anything else since he's clearly incapable of producing special edition versions that I can tolerate in the slightest. I'm not watching Greedo shoot first, jovial CGI Jabba talk to Han, Ewoks with clicking animated eyeballs, Hayden Christensen's ghost, or Darth Vader screaming "Noooooooooooo!"
Old 06-05-12, 05:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I think there are two levels of hate towards Lucas on the internet:

1. People that hate the Prequels, hate the SE changes, hate everything about Star Wars post 1983 and go way overboard by insulting Lucas with remarks about his weight, his neck, and wanting him to die. I don't align myself with this group as they go WAY overboard in their criticism's of him.

2. People like me who are just frustrated that he won't release a fully restored OOT to DVD and now BluRay. I don't hate the man, I am more just fed up at the constant tinkering of the OOT movies and then his different excuses as to why he wont release them. In 2003 those versions didn't exist anymore because it was more of an 'artistic' decision, now he won't release them because its too much money to remaster.

I think there is a loud minority that say death to Lucas, and then there is a quieter majority like alot of us here who would never bother with a SW conversation about Lucas if he just released a fully restored OOT so we can all move on towards this ridiculous issue.
Old 06-05-12, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joliom
He'll get more money from me if he releases either a) anamorphic DVD's of the original unaltered trilogy, or b) Blu-rays of the original unaltered trilogy. I'm not interested in anything else since he's clearly incapable of producing special edition versions that I can tolerate in the slightest. I'm not watching Greedo shoot first, jovial CGI Jabba talk to Han, Ewoks with clicking animated eyeballs, Hayden Christensen's ghost, or Darth Vader screaming "Noooooooooooo!"
Is the weird CGI dancing thing sequence still in RoTJ?
Old 06-05-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Didn't I read somewhere that Lucas was stepping down from Lucasfilm? If it's true, I'm not sure what it means for the company, but I would love to take it over for one day and get an BluRay release of the OOT and then resign the day it's released!
That was basically a misinterpretation of what Lucas said...what he DID say is that he was giving up many of the day-to-day business duties of Lucasfilm so he can go off and direct more movies. He's NOT stepping down from Lucasfilm, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.