Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Return of Hammer Films Studio

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Return of Hammer Films Studio

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The Return of Hammer Films Studio

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
It would have helped if I read this thread first.

Thanks. I'll check his list out and do some picking.
Just wanted to warn you that some of the U.K. releases are problematic. The most egregious is The Devil Rides Out which has added cgi. Rasputin, Curse of Frankenstein, and Dracula also have problems.
Old 10-25-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Rasputin, Curse of Frankenstein, and Dracula also have problems.
To be fair however, with Rasputin it's one person on Blu-ray.com complaining about the weak-sounding audio, an issue which (as far as I know) none of the professional reviews or any other forum members has mentioned, so it may be his equipment set-up. Also, they did fix the opening credits in Dracula, which was the most egregious use of DNR in the film.
Old 10-25-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
To be fair however, with Rasputin it's one person on Blu-ray.com complaining about the weak-sounding audio, an issue which (as far as I know) none of the professional reviews or any other forum members has mentioned, so it may be his equipment set-up. Also, they did fix the opening credits in Dracula, which was the most egregious use of DNR in the film.
Here's a review that also mentions the problem. Both have made comparisons to the dvd so I have to believe there is an issue.

http://www.cathoderaytube.co.uk/2012...-mad-monk.html
Old 10-25-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Plus, its been announced as a 2013 Scream Factory title.

I did end up getting a corrected Dracula disc. I had hoped the lesson would be learned and future releases would have been carefully checked out prior to release. Disappointing to find out problems are still popping up.
Old 10-25-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure that you get Twins of Evil. I saw that it's on your radar. It's an awesome movie one of Hammer's best in my opinion.
Old 10-25-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Here's a review that also mentions the problem. Both have made comparisons to the dvd so I have to believe there is an issue.

http://www.cathoderaytube.co.uk/2012...-mad-monk.html
Yup, apparently the review was amended a couple of days ago:

If there is a downside, then it is the audio on this disc. After considering there were issues with the opening titles and score, sounding very thin and tinny, and accepting that the rest of the film's sound was passable I consulted the Optimum DVD release in the Ultimate Hammer Collection. The audio reproduction on the DVD is fuller and richer overall.

There is something not quite right with the audio on the BD, requiring you to turn the volume up to get any decent depth out of the track and it sounds thin in comparison with the DVD.
Old 03-05-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Millennium Entertainment will distribute titles from Exclusive Media’s Hammer library in the U.S. in a deal that covers Hammer titles going back to 1966’s “Dracula: Prince of Darkness.”

Millennium said the alliance will introduce the Hammer Horror brand to a new audience not familiar with the Hammer titles classic line and provide limited edition Blu-rays and Collector’s Sets over the next several years.

First three-film set will be released in April and include “Dracula Prince of Darkness,” Peter Cushing in “The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires” and “Frankenstein Created Woman.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/mi...ve-1200002390/
Old 03-05-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bring it
Old 03-05-13, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Millennium Entertainment will distribute titles from Exclusive Media’s Hammer library in the U.S. in a deal that covers Hammer titles going back to 1966’s “Dracula: Prince of Darkness.”

Millennium said the alliance will introduce the Hammer Horror brand to a new audience not familiar with the Hammer titles classic line and provide limited edition Blu-rays and Collector’s Sets over the next several years.

First three-film set will be released in April and include “Dracula Prince of Darkness,” Peter Cushing in “The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires” and “Frankenstein Created Woman.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/mi...ve-1200002390/
Yes, as long as they're blurays. I've seen a report that they'll release regular DVD's first. Hope that doesn't happen though. I'm in for the three disc set. I'm going to start watching for the release now.
Maybe somebody can post a link or something when they become available.

Last edited by JOE29; 03-06-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More Hammer is always good news.
Old 03-05-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hammer on Blu = just take my money already.
Old 03-10-13, 09:07 AM

Saw this listed on Amazon for $7.99 but I think it's for the regular DVD set not the bluray.. I hope they don't base future releases on their DVD sales instead of their bluray sales. Because I for one, isn't going to bother with their standard DVD's, i'm waiting for their bluray releases.
Old 07-09-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beverly Hills, CA-- (July 3, 2013) Millennium Entertainment is pleased to reveal the final artwork and announce details for their upcoming high-definition release of the classic 1966 Hammer Film, DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS on September 3rd. Directed by Terence Fisher and starring the iconic Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley and Andrew Keir, Millennium's Collector's Edition of Dracula: Prince of Darkness marks the first time that horror fans in the US will be able to enjoy the film on Blu-ray. Millennium is also planning to release several other Hammer Films on Blu-ray later this year including QUARTERMASS AND THE PIT, THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES and THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.

Special features for the Collector's Edition Blu-Ray of DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS include an exclusive still gallery (never before released), audio commentary featuring Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Suzan Farmer and Francis Matthews, Super 8MM behind-the-scenes footage, a restored original trailer, "Back to Black"- a brand new documentary on Dracula: Prince of Darkness and much more.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/features/...esspromo13.htm

photo draculaprincedarknessblu.jpg
Old 07-10-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Oh happy day!
Old 07-10-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to see a release date for Dracula: Prince of Darkness. Have any release dates been hinted at for Quatermass and the Pit or Plague of the Zombies?
Old 07-20-13, 12:17 PM

Whatever happened to Countess Dracula? It was announced about two years ago, and nothing's come about it.
Old 07-20-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Palpadious
Whatever happened to Countess Dracula? It was announced about two years ago, and nothing's come about it.
Synapse is working on it for a release by the end of the year.
Old 07-30-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oct 14th in the UK. The first ever HD release of Hammer’s classic film. THE MUMMY has been unavailable on any Region 2 home entertainment format since 2004. . This new release on Blu-ray and DVD double play presents the film in its original UK theatrical aspect ratio of 1.66:1 for the first time, as well as featuring a host of brand new extras never seen before and in high definition. Containing 2xDVD + 1xBlu-ray. Features include: Original UK theatrical aspect ratio: 1.66:1 (the film has never before been released at this aspect ratio); Alternate “full frame” aspect ratio: 1.37:1; “Unwrapping The Mummy” – New 25 min. HD documentary about the film’s creation and history.; “Hammer’s Rep Company” – New 20 min. HD documentary about Hammer’s informal repertory company of actors.; Commentary – New expert commentary from Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby.; “Stolen Face” – bonus feature (Terence Fisher’s 1952 crime drama, 72 mins.); “The House Of Horror: Memories Of Bray” – Hammer’s all-new 5-part documentary (50 mins. total) which will premiere on Hammer’s YouTube channel before the Double Play release.;“Hammer Stars: Peter Cushing” – The World Of Hammer episode;HD Archive/Stills Gallery Original industry promo reel restored to HD (6 mins.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mummy-Bl...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Old 12-29-14, 02:48 PM

So what is the next rumored US release of the Hammer Horror series? I haven't heard of any for a while now.
Old 12-29-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Warner is working on some of their titles for next year.
Old 12-29-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
So what is the next rumored US release of the Hammer Horror series? I haven't heard of any for a while now.
Millennium went out of business, no? They're the ones who announced a deal to distribute Hammer Blus in the US, but they only released two: Dracula: Prince of Darkness and Frankenstein Created Woman. Not sure who has the rights now.

(By the way, I would just like to note that Millennium folding absolutely sucks, because as a sampler, they released a 3-pack DVD containing the above two titles plus Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, which is something I was really looking forward to owning in hi-def, especially since their DVD version is screwed up--it's remastered and anamorphic unlike the old Anchor Bay, but is played at PAL speed.)

I've since given up on the US getting more Hammer Blus and have instead just started importing the ones I want from the UK; actually just placed an order for Plague of the Zombies and Devil Rides Out this weekend for about $26 shipped.
Old 12-29-14, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Millennium went out of business, no? want from the UK; actually just placed an order for Plague of the Zombies and Devil Rides Out this weekend for about $26 shipped.
Damn, Millenium went out of business. That does stink. I was looking forward to a lot of Hammer titles from them. I did manage to get their Dracula and Frankenstein created Women though. May have to get a region free player to get all of the blu's from Europe. i'd love to get Plague of Zombies on blu. I've never seen the movie, either.
Old 12-29-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
May have to get a region free player to get all of the blu's from Europe. i'd love to get Plague of Zombies on blu. I've never seen the movie, either.
Going off of NoirFan's list on the first page, I think this is a relatively complete list of Hammer Blu releases (discounting their recent work like Let Me In and The Woman in Black) should you decide to go multi-region. GER, JPN and AUS are Germany, Japan and Australia respectively:

The Abominable Snowman (JPN)
Brides of Dracula (UK)
Captain Clegg (aka Night Creatures) (UK)
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (AUS)
Countess Dracula (GER, UK, USA)
The Curse of Frankenstein (UK)
The Curse of the Werewolf (GER)
The Devil Rides Out (AUS, UK)
Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula) (UK)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (UK, USA)
The Evil of Frankenstein (UK)
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (AUS, UK)
Frankenstein Created Woman (AUS, USA, UK)
Hands of the Ripper (UK, USA)
Hound of the Baskervilles (AUS)
Kiss of the Vampire (UK)
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (USA)
The Mummy (UK)
The Mummy's Shroud (AUS, UK)
Paranoiac (UK)
Phantom of the Opera (UK)
Plague of the Zombies (UK)
The Quatermass Xperiment (AUS, USA)
Quatermass 2 (AUS)
Quatermass and the Pit (AUS, UK)
Rasputin: The Mad Monk (AUS, UK)
The Reptile (UK)
Twins of Evil (UK, USA)
Vampire Circus (UK, USA)
The Vampire Lovers (UK, USA)
The Witches (AUS, UK)

Just keep in mind to look up reviews first--it seems every other Hammer Blu has had some kind of issue, especially the UK ones.
Old 12-30-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It is believed that Warner Archive might release a Hammer or two in 2015. The problem is that Hammer rights are all over the place with different distributors across the world, and it seems like practically no one has quality masters. The few controlled by Sony and WB are probably in the best shape, but American studios are reluctant to spend the money on BD releases.