Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Mill Creek Sony Firesale Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Mill Creek Sony Firesale Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official Mill Creek Sony Firesale Appreciation Thread

Originally Posted by Jory
TriStar's Donnie Brasco extended cut Blu-ray is currently cheaper on Amazon than Mill Creek's upcoming theatrical cut Blu-ray will be.
And all of their Blu-ray releases next week will only contain lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 tracks only despite lossless options on the past discs.
Old 07-22-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I can't believe I just watched The Legend of Billie Jean on blu. Fair is fair!
Old 07-23-14, 09:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I can't believe I just watched The Legend of Billie Jean on blu. Fair is fair!
where did you get it?
Old 07-23-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anaconda is another title given to Mill Creek. Only $5.19 on Amazon, but it also lacks the 5.1 TrueHD track. I managed to find the Sony version at Barnes and Noble for $9.99.
Old 07-23-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
where did you get it?
Amazon, $9
Old 07-23-14, 10:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Amazon, $9
thanks.
Old 07-23-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

BN.com has Legend of Billie Jean for 5.43
Old 07-23-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

What's with the plain Dolby Digital on these new titles? Their first Blus all had DTS Master Audio (despite saying "Dolby Digital" on the covers.) They screwed up a few of those though, as some were only 2-channel despite being released in theaters and other formats with 5.1 mixes, and they royally screwed "Camp Nowhere" by doing it in MONO.

And I can officially say that I was right about my prediction long ago that Sony would end up doing a lousy job supporting the Blu-Ray format, despite having a large stake in it.
Old 07-28-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered Billie Jean from BN. Looks like Krull is the same price. I also ordered Sony copies of Donnie Brasco and Flatliners before they become HTF.
Old 09-15-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Does the current Last Action Hero BD have any bonus features?
I just read this review on Amazon:

This review is about product quality. The blu ray version that shows on the cover schwarzenegger with the boy in his hands is 19.7 gigs, and no bonus. ( produce by mill creek entertainment ) - now, the version with schwarzenegger holding the gun on the cover is 41.3 gigs and have 18 minutes of bonus, and the image quality is better all the way. The 19.7 gigs edition is the RIP OFF version. Take that Mill Creek Entertainment, and I wish you go bankrupt. Always make sure It is written 1080p on the back or AVC 36 mbps.
Can anyone confirm this? I was just about to order the new version (I prefer the cover) but if the encode rate is lower and the original release has some extra features, I'll order that one instead.
Old 09-15-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

A user review from Blu-Ray.com:

Find the Superior Sony Release - No Special Features and Lossy Dolby D

Confirmed that the reissue is inferior to the Sony release. The audio on the Mill Creek has Lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track, encoded at 448 kbps whereas the Sony has the superior Lossless DTS-HD Master audio. For this title the audio is critical, so I would recommend going with the lossless and not cover art (which is awesome Drew).

Mill Creek’s Special Features contain absolutely nothing but the movie itself. The disc ignores the main menu when first started, cycling through the opening logos before starting the movie, bypassing the main menu (which only consists of a “Play Movie” button). The only feature on Sony’s release was MovieIQ, which provided a trivia track over BD-Live, courtesy of Gracenote.

Personally if your a fan of the movie I strongly recommend tracking down the Sony release. I picked up the Sony release (Since it will probably go out of print) and watched it last night, never having seen it before. Man what a fun flick. Didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Kind of mad at myself I didn't check it out sooner. I have only had ... like 30 years!!!

The only extras on the Sony disc are:

This Blu-ray release of Last Action Hero features only BD-Live functionality; Sony's MovieIQ feature; and 1080p trailers for The Da Vinci Code, Ghostbusters, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, A River Runs Through It, Angels & Demons, Michael Jackson's This is It, Armored, The Stepfather, Soul Power, and It Might Get Loud.
Old 09-26-14, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

Mill creek is 50% off direct from the web site. $50.00 gets you free freight but that seems hard to do with the limited selection. Any recommendations.
Old 09-30-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Mill Creek dumped the Harryhausen double-feature "20 Million Miles To Earth/It Came From Beneath The Sea" on a single BD-25. Hunt down the individual discs originally issued by Sony.
Old 09-30-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Mill Creek dumped the Harryhausen double-feature "20 Million Miles To Earth/It Came From Beneath The Sea" on a single BD-25. Hunt down the individual discs originally issued by Sony.
Yeah, I was happy when I first saw the listing for this as I never wanted to buy the expensive Sony Harryhausen set when the only movie I really wanted was It Came...
But after hearing how Mill Creek is treating some of the other titles it is re-releasing, I bit the bullet and ordered the now OoP set on Amazon.
Fortunately there are still some marketplace sellers that are offering it for ~$30 new.
Old 09-30-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Yeah, I was happy when I first saw the listing for this as I never wanted to buy the expensive Sony Harryhausen set when the only movie I really wanted was It Came...
But after hearing how Mill Creek is treating some of the other titles it is re-releasing, I bit the bullet and ordered the now OoP set on Amazon.
Fortunately there are still some marketplace sellers that are offering it for ~$30 new.
If Sony has originally issued its own BD of a film, always seek out that edition instead of the inferior licensed BDs from Mill Creek and Image.
Old 09-30-14, 06:17 PM

I'd be happy to see BD's of Modern Romance and Behold A Pale Horse from their upcoming list.
Old 09-30-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You think that's scary? I've got Mill Creek's Sci-Fi Creature Classics release that puts 20 Million Miles to Earth, The Giant Claw, It Came from Beneath the Sea, and Mothra on a single DVD.
Old 10-01-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you know that's what they are? Don't they just looks like pixels jammed together in random combinations of colors ?
Old 10-01-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I like about these releases is how they use the original poster art.
Old 10-14-14, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody having trouble receiving Krull from B&N? I preordered this thing back in July and it still has not shipped. On the product page, it says "usually ships in 24 hours".
Old 10-14-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I was happy to see Mill Creek released "Neighbors" from 1981 with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd on DVD. A forgotten gem and one of John Belushi's final movies.

No talk of a Blu-ray though.
Old 10-16-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Anybody having trouble receiving Krull from B&N? I preordered this thing back in July and it still has not shipped. On the product page, it says "usually ships in 24 hours".
Guess I was the only one having a problem but they shipped it today after I emailed them.
Old 01-12-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

They're releasing The Lady from Shanghai (bluray) on March 17, 2015. As long as the transfer is decent, I'll pick it up as it costs a lot less than the BD from TCM.

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Shanghai-Blu-ray-Rita-Hayworth/dp/B00S1VR62K/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421106837&sr=8-1&keywords=lady+from+shanghai+bluray

They're also releasing The Wild One on the same day:

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-One-Blu-ray-Marlon-Brando/dp/B00S1VR6DE/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
Old 01-12-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
They're releasing The Lady from Shanghai (bluray) on March 17, 2015. As long as the transfer is decent, I'll pick it up as it costs a lot less than the BD from TCM.

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Shanghai-Blu-ray-Rita-Hayworth/dp/B00S1VR62K/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421106837&sr=8-1&keywords=lady+from+shanghai+bluray
The transfer can't be any worse, can it? I'll probably pick this edition up since I didn't bother with the TCM one after hearing the bad reviews.
Old 01-12-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did the TCM BD of LFS have a bad transfer?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.