Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Altered States - 7/10/12

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Altered States - 7/10/12

Old 07-11-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Altered States - 7/10/12

Originally Posted by scott1598
i was surprised they actually had this at Best Buy yesterday. only a few copies though.
Seeing as how it is not a major title would not expect a store to get more than 10 copies at most. Not too worried of it running out though.
Old 07-11-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Put in each of the Sci-fi release I picked up yesterday (Coma, Outland, Altered States) for a quick look last night. I was happy with each of them - all being good/great upgrades over the DVD releases.
But of them all, AS was the big surprise for me. It looked remarkable. Very tight, sharp, colorful- but not in any way unnatural or tarted up.
Very happy with this wave of releases and am greatly looking forward to sitting down and revisiting them again after so long.

The quality almost makes up for missing the Amazon price drop by hours. Would have saved $8 if I hadn't pre-ordered these. You'd think a brother would know by now not to do that ...oh well.
Old 07-11-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Put in each of the Sci-fi release I picked up yesterday (Coma, Outland, Altered States) for a quick look last night. I was happy with each of them - all being good/great upgrades over the DVD releases.
But of them all, AS was the big surprise for me. It looked remarkable. Very tight, sharp, colorful- but not in any way unnatural or tarted up.
Very happy with this wave of releases and am greatly looking forward to sitting down and revisiting them again after so long.

The quality almost makes up for missing the Amazon price drop by hours. Would have saved $8 if I hadn't pre-ordered these. You'd think a brother would know by now not to do that ...oh well.
If you had them pre-ordered and the price dropped no later than the end of release day, amazon should automatically credit you the difference. If they don't, contact customer service and they should do the adjustment.

I was on the fence about Coma, but that's one I might go for at the BB trade-in if they have it in-store.
Old 07-11-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

just got the e-mails from Amazon now. Coma and AS did indeed fall into the pre-order price guarantee.I had checked my order history last night and didn't see the price changed so I assumed they got shipped too soon.

Alls well that ends well. I'm very happy with the price I paid, but even happier that WB did such a good job with these.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-11-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched it all the way through. Very solid presentation. I also had it on VHS and DVD and never saw anything approaching the amount of fine detail visible here, even in the dark scenes (of which there are many).

The audio is excellent, as befitting a movie (in)famous for its soundtrack. The outstanding Corigliano score is worth the purchase alone; for me it's one of the highlights of the movie and it's never sounded better, both in the melodic passages and the frequent atonal segments where it meshes with the sound effects.

The special effects sequences sound incredible and have some pretty serious LFE for a 32 year-old movie. Got my floorboards humming a few times, despite my cheapie sound system. And the dialogue, which to me sounded harsh and flat on the DVD, sounds much better here. Play this one loud!

If you're into the film, well worth the few bucks you'll pay for it, especially with the BB promo forthcoming.
Old 07-12-12, 12:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Just watched it all the way through. Very solid presentation. I also had it on VHS and DVD and never saw anything approaching the amount of fine detail visible here, even in the dark scenes (of which there are many).

The audio is excellent, as befitting a movie (in)famous for its soundtrack. The outstanding Corigliano score is worth the purchase alone; for me it's one of the highlights of the movie and it's never sounded better, both in the melodic passages and the frequent atonal segments where it meshes with the sound effects.

The special effects sequences sound incredible and have some pretty serious LFE for a 32 year-old movie. Got my floorboards humming a few times, despite my cheapie sound system. And the dialogue, which to me sounded harsh and flat on the DVD, sounds much better here. Play this one loud!

If you're into the film, well worth the few bucks you'll pay for it, especially with the BB promo forthcoming.
+1

I agree Warner's really hit this one out of the ballpark

(now release Wolfen Warners)