Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Lawrence of Arabia - FINALLY arrives...

the UK import is 11 GBP
Old 07-18-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
the UK import is 11 GBP
Thanks, but I hate the ratings symbols that are plastered all over UK discs, so I avoid them unless necessary.
Old 07-18-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
^ got a link to that LA Times mention?
no. That's what blu-ray.com mentioned. The title has now been officially announced. The date is November 13.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9159

Sony's Blu-ray offers the film in a 4K digital restoration; according to Sony's official press release, "the original camera negative was scanned at 8K and the film went through a painstaking process of repairing problems inherent to the fifty-year old film elements."
Old 07-18-12, 05:45 PM

and the theatrical release is October 4th - as much as it's great news to finally have this movie on hidef, it's the ideal way to see and experience this movie on the largest screen possible.
Old 07-19-12, 09:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Updated OP with set picture. I'll be buying this Day 1 as well as see this again in the theater. I'm really looking forward to finally get a hold of this.
Old 07-19-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm not a fan of big bulky box sets like that for single movies, but for this movie (being that it's in my top-5 of all time), I'll make an exception.
Old 07-19-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-order is up. This has an expensive list price of $95.99. Amazon's 30% off price is still $67.19. I'm certainly not paying that much for a movie, no matter how much shit is thrown in a fancy box. I'll wait until there's a non junk version, or hope that Walmart or Target gets that version as an exclusive.
Old 08-04-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Very stoked to finally get a crack at this on the big screen and on Blu-ray! I confess, I'm put off by the price of that box set - Sony's Bridge on the River Kwai released at $19.99 and that was a solid, worthwhile issue. Lawrence of Arabia deserves the deluxe treatment, I won't argue that. However, that price is outside my comfort zone these days. I'll be excited to see it in theaters, though, and that'll tide me over until I can catch a good deal on the Blu-ray (perhaps a Black Friday offering?). It's unlikely I'll re-watch it so soon after the theatrical showing anyway.

BTW, Cinemark's ongoing weekly classic movie series features both Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai in September! I've seen Bridge in a theater, but never Zhivago. Gonna get my big screen David Lean on this year, y'all!
Old 08-04-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Is there an actual date yet for this set?
Old 08-04-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

November 13 is rumored
Old 08-06-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this from blu-ray.com. Don't know the source, but this appears to be the extras list for the deluxe set. The book in the gift set is a whopping 88 pages. I may have to spring for that, especially for the bonus disc. But it'll have to be under $50.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 08-07-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the big set is the only way to get all the bonus features, according to the blu-ray.com article.

Have to think about this one. I hate to lose extras, but I don't like big boxes either. In the end, I'll probably end up getting the box. That's what I did with the Casablanca remaster.
Old 08-09-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually detest big box sets but I want disc 3 and I want the CD soundtrack. I'll have to make an exception for this.

What annoys me is that they're trumpeting a 4K theatrical release as if it's something to celebrate. They should re-release it in 70mm the way it was meant to be seen. There is no comparison between 4000 digital lines of resolution and the organic celluloid equivalent of hundreds of thousands of lines. 35mm film has many times the resolution of 4K and 70mm has double the resolution of 35. Why go to the theatre to watch a film that was shot in Super Panavision 70 downrezzed to what's essentially a television format?
Old 08-09-12, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

I'm guessing because 4k television isn't a reality yet for us commoners. I'm with you though, I'd prefer a great 70mm print release over 4k any day of the week.
Old 08-09-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
There is no comparison between 4000 digital lines of resolution and the organic celluloid equivalent of hundreds of thousands of lines.

The 4K release, well-presented, will put more visible resolution on the screen than any 70mm print ever has.

Why go to the theatre to watch a film that was shot in Super Panavision 70 downrezzed to what's essentially a television format?
The analog (optical) process of producing a theatrical print (and the limitations of the projector displaying it) reduces the resolution of the original camera negative far more than this digital print which was made from a scan of that negative.
Old 08-09-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'd prefer a great 70mm print release over 4k any day of the week.
Watch them back-to-back and you'll change your tune.
Old 08-09-12, 11:51 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's not about better or worse...it's about how the film was intended to be seen.

As I've said before "A film from that era is ideally viewed in a manner most closely approximating how it was released when new. In LOA's case that would be 70 mm celluloid." If Lean were alive today maybe he'd want it recropped to 16x9, maybe he'd want it color corrected to teal and orange, or post-converted to 3-D. Who knows what he might prefer. In his absence the best thing we can do, the RIGHT thing to do, is to watch it as it as he intended in 1962.
Old 08-09-12, 11:56 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Watch them back-to-back and you'll change your tune.
I understand the difference, but I like the look of film. Tune has, and will stay the same. Guess it's my years of being a projectionist.
Old 08-09-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It's not about better or worse...it's about how the film was intended to be seen.
It's difficult to judge the intent of a deceased filmmaker against the aesthetics of a presentation format that didn't exist when the film was made.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
As I've said before "A film from that era is ideally viewed in a manner most closely approximating how it was released when new. In LOA's case that would be 70 mm celluloid." If Lean were alive today maybe he'd want it recropped to 16x9, maybe he'd want it color corrected to teal and orange, or post-converted to 3-D. Who knows what he might prefer. In his absence the best thing we can do, the RIGHT thing to do, is to watch it as it as he intended in 1962.
Meanwhile, in the world of commercial cinemas circa 2012... 70mm projectors are almost no longer existent, while 4K digital projectors are busy being installed around the world.

Unfortunately, it's not really a question of this release on 70mm versus in 4K digital; it's a question of this release in 4K digital or not at all.
Old 08-09-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I understand the difference, but I like the look of film. Tune has, and will stay the same. Guess it's my years of being a projectionist.
Fair enough.

If you've seen them both in comparable conditions, though, you will agree that in terms of viewable spatial resolution, a 70mm release print does not have a 4K DCP from a DI of the 65mm OCN beaten.
Old 08-09-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Meanwhile, in the world of commercial cinemas circa 2012... 70mm projectors are almost no longer existent, while 4K digital projectors are busy being installed around the world.

Unfortunately, it's not really a question of this release on 70mm versus in 4K digital; it's a question of this release in 4K digital or not at all.
This is true, sadly, and it looks like cinema will be remembered as a distinctly 20th century art form that was replaced by cheap digital video tech (which, by the way is impossible to archive for future generations) due to corporate cost-cutting. I have a beautiful large HD TV at home and just feel jipped when I go to the theatre and find out it's a "digital presentation".. I could just wait for the Blu Ray if I want a "digital presentation"... which is of course what people will increasingly do, thus finally killing theatrical mass distribution.
Old 08-09-12, 09:52 PM

the number of theaters with 70mm projectors has diminished considerably, but thankfully P.T Anderson is headstrong in having as many of those theaters to present 'The Master' as such, when it opens later in the year. Warner's got a number of theaters to reinstall their 15/70 IMAX projectors for 'The Dark Knight Rises' - with 'Lawrence', 'The Master' and 'Samsara' (which is unfortunately only getting released in 35mm, despite being shot in 70mm) it's great to see 70mm seeing a slight renaissance in the age of digital projection.
Old 08-13-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

digital video tech (which, by the way is impossible to archive for future generations) .
Do you think digital storage technology is going to remain in its current state forever? We'll be able to hold a thousand films at full 8K scanned resolution, on a thumb drive... probably in a decade or two.

All you film people support the elitist limitations of film because you're nostalgic about a little bit of grain. I like the film-look too, but it's not that big of a deal. It is a very silly and stubborn perspective. Maybe ten years ago there was a point to the debate, but the tech is just improving too much.
Old 08-13-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm curious about that soundtrack CD. I was given to understand the master recordings had been destroyed?
Old 08-13-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
Do you think digital storage technology is going to remain in its current state forever? We'll be able to hold a thousand films at full 8K scanned resolution, on a thumb drive... probably in a decade or two.
Digital data is easily corrupted and is unreliable as a long-term archival storage medium.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.