Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Definitive List of All BD Releases *with* All DVD Special Features (or more)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I think listing all the BDs that don't have all the special features of their DVD counterparts is basically listing just about all of them to begin with (sadly). I think it would make it simpler to list all Blu Ray releases that actually have actually have *all* of the special features as their DVD counterparts (or even more).

As a "special features hound" my hopes have been dashed horribly (for the most part) with the the Blu Ray format. I love the superior picture, but I want it all!

My personal listing guidelines:

ALL--Means everything--right down to the theatrical trailers(s)--which are rarities on Blu ray for some reason.

ALL PLUS--The super generous studios don't just port all the DVD goodies to the BD, they also kick in some extra stuff. Bless 'em.
Old 01-28-12, 12:59 AM

Re: Definitive List of All BD Releases *with* All DVD Special Features (or more)

What I Have So Far...

ALL
The Ultimate Matrix Collection
Risky Business
JFK Director's Cut
Serenity
Nixon Director's Cut
Goodfellas (20th Anniversary Edition)
Do the Right Thing (20th Anniversary Edition)
Changing Lanes
Blazing Saddles
The Green Mile
Blade Runner (5-disc)
Full Metal Jacket (SE)
American Graffiti
Good Night, and Good Luck
Forbidden Planet
Batman (1989)

ALL PLUS
The Superman Motion Picture Anthology
--deleted scenes
The Dark Knight
--"Batman Unmasked" documentary
Capitalism: A Love Story
--"Harvard Professor Elizabeth Warren on How Wall Street Got Away with Murder"
Black Dynamite
Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog
Dark City
--Theatrical Cut
Forrest Gump
--"Musical Signposts to History"
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
--Anatomy of a Virtual Scene
--3 Theatrical Trailers
Star Trek Generations
--Teaser and Theatrical Trailers
The Alien Anthology**
--deleted "Burke" scene

(**this has all the special features from the Alien Legacy and Alien Quadrilogy sets combined)

Last edited by PatD; 01-28-12 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-28-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Definitive List of All BD Releases *with* All DVD Special Features (or more)

Just by doing a quick glance at my collection, I know for a fact:

ALL PLUS

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Alien Anthology
Alice in Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition)
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (The Rich Mahogany Edition; Best Buy Exclusive)
Back to the Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy
Bambi (Diamond Edition)
Batman Begins
Beauty and the Beast (Diamond Edition)
Better Off Dead...
The Boondock Saints (Truth and Justice Edition)
Clerks
Clerks II
Dumbo (70th Anniversary Edition)
The Exorcist
Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 (Two-Movie Collection)
The Fox and the Hound / The Fox and the Hound 2 (30th Anniversary Collection)
The Incredibles
The Lion King (Diamond Edition)
Jackie Brown
Moulin Rouge
Pinocchio (Diamond Edition)
Pulp Fiction
Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway
Repo: The Genetic Opera
Run Lola Run
Sleeping Beauty (Diamond Edition)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Diamond Edition)
The Sound of Music (45th Anniversary Edition)
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection
Tron
Waiting...
William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet

ALL

Gremlins
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Napoleon Dynamite
The Return of the Living Dead
There's Something About Mary

Most, if not all, Warner releases should have the same bonus material as their DVD counterparts. However, I know that Poseidon does not have the Picture-in-Picture track that was on the HD-DVD.
Old 01-28-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does "All" mean "Production Notes", "Cast & Crew Bios" text screens? Common on old DVDs.
Old 01-28-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL

Flyboys - A box office dud and one of Fox's first wave of blu titles, most of which were bare-bones releases. Shockingly, has everything from the 2 disc DVD set.

ALL PLUS

Syriana - Adds features from Best Buy bonus disc
We Were Soldiers - Adds Theatrical trailer
Ocean's 12 - Deleted scenes & Audio commentary exclusive to Blu
Ocean's 13 - Additional featurettes
Chronicles of Riddick - Adds featurettes from Best Buy bonus disc
The X-Files: FTF - New audio commentary, gag reel, featurettes, and theatrical version.
Old 01-28-12, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Does "All" mean "Production Notes", "Cast & Crew Bios" text screens? Common on old DVDs.
I think those can be overlooked. That would be going overboard. But trailers count.

I just love theatrical trailers--they're like a time capsule of the era of the film featured.

So, I can't say that "Halloween II" (1981) is an "ALL PLUS" because it omits the original theatrical trailer from the 2001 Universal release DVD. Or "Pulp Fiction" actually--it doesn't have any of the trailers included from the 2 disc set--lame.
Old 01-29-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Many BDs drop the trailers that were on DVD, even if the BD is a loaded special edition. Warner Bros. is usually very good about carrying over all the special features from DVD to Blu-ray. When a special feature is missing from the Blu-ray, it usually is a licensing issue.
Old 01-29-12, 02:04 AM

I love trailers and really disappointed that new releases are not including them The blu-ray is going to last a long time, so it would be great to look back in 10-20 years and see how marketing has changed. I can't trust youtube to be around that long.

I can't understand why most studios don't include them anymore. Too much money and trouble to get the rights to include them? Do they think most people don't care? I sent few emails about missing trailers to studios but I don't know if I sent it to right places and they probably don't care about 1 email anyway. Maybe we can do petition or something - but I doubt we can even get a 100 signatures anyway.

As for your list, I think the other list is more practical since I want to know which DVD I should keep, sell or just give away. I'm not going to look at this list and say "hey, I don't like this movie, but since it has all the extras, I should buy it." Even though I love trailers and other extras, it's not going to make me buy a movie that I don't want. But in the other list, I will know which DVD to keep or even try to get it if I know what is missing. So personally, I like the other list better. We just need another person to keep updating the list. I'm not putting down your list, I'm just hoping somebody can update the other list too.

But I do like your list in that it has the "All Plus" section. I would like to see the list of that. And maybe you should also put down "Missing Plus" for something that has new Blu-ray exclusive but it's missing few things from DVD.

And looking at the few list, I don't think you should put down extras that are available on BD-Live as being complete (Lion King, Fantasia/Fantasia 2000) I hate BD-Live What would happen in several years when studios decide they are moving to another format and want to drop and abandon the Live feature, or if they want to delete the old content so they can put content for newer movies?

And Chronicles of Riddick is not ALL PLUS either - it's missing few things. It's missing the "Riddick Insider Facts on Demand" which is a trivia information displayed as subtitle throughout the movie(it's actually quiet good), and it's also missing "Interactive Production Calender" from best buy bonus disc.

Also Moulin Rouge is missing few minor extras. You can look at the blu-ray review in this site to see what is missing.

And maybe you can mention some trends that each studios are doing.

For catalogue releases, All studios except Sony/Columbia and Universal seems to be good with putting the trailers in IF the latest DVD version had them.(ex. Disney's Fox and the Hound is missing the theatrical trailer that was included in the old Gold Collection release, and just have the extras that was available for 25th anniversary edition-which was also missing the trailer)
- Universal does have pocketBLU that you can see the trailers by streaming, but again, that's STREAMING which I HATE and shouldn't be counted.

For new releases, pretty much every studios don't include the trailers anymore, except 20th century Fox. They seem to me to be the only studio that are releasing NEW releases with theatrical trailers. But then again, 20th century Fox is a major offender of not putting in entire disc worth of extras to their catalogue blu-rays.

Well, looking forward to seeing the list of ALL PLUS
Old 01-29-12, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude. I'm going to love this thread. I'm a special features whore. I still keep the DVDs of movies that have all the features but on BD don't. I'm looking at you, Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 01-29-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm still not clear on the Alien movies: there were two separately available discs, The Alien Legacy (a mail-away disc for the original 4 disc DVD box) and The Alien Saga (available for purchase separately a few years later). Have the contents of these been put into big Bluray Alien set?
Old 01-29-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm still not clear on the Alien movies: there were two separately available discs, The Alien Legacy (a mail-away disc for the original 4 disc DVD box) and The Alien Saga (available for purchase separately a few years later). Have the contents of these been put into big Bluray Alien set?
Yup, the Alien Anthology BD set includes all the extras from the Alien Saga doc and the Alien Quadrilogy DVD releases, and also adds more extras, including the full length making of Alien 3, which was edited for the DVD release.