Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Echobridge Mirimax Blu Ray titles - Has anyone veiwed any yet?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-01-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was trying to find a thread regarding the quality of these titles by anyone who's viewed some yet. Is there anyone here how's actually purchased or watched any for comparison yet?

In particular, I was curious about their releases of Equilibrium and From Dusk Til Dawn. Even though the specs say it's a 1080p transfer, the fact that they only have a 2.0 sound track, and that the artwork on most of the packages is sub-par doesn't give me much hope. I saw those and a handful of other titles at FYE for only $7.99 (list price) - and thought I might take a chance at the low price. Or, should I just stick with my DVD versions?

Thoughts people?
Old 01-01-12, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Echobridge Mirimax Blu Ray titles - Has anyone veiwed any yet?

Both crap. Horrific crap.
Old 01-01-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

From Dusk till Dawn has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track, the box art is wrong. If you have the cash, import the far superior Canadian steelbook release. If you want to buy Echo Bridge's "budget" job then go to Wal-Mart.com and order the Four Film pack for From Dusk Till Dawn which includes all three movies plus Full Tilt Boogie (in HD!) for $10.
Old 01-01-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never watch in Echo Bridge title blu-ray yet and so...

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Both crap. Horrific crap.
thank for the head up!
Old 01-02-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Some discussion here

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge
Old 01-02-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks!
Old 04-26-12, 10:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So this is interesting. Echo has released a 6 pack of films, which includes Equilibrium. Apparently this re-release now has the correct aspect ratio as well as DTS-HD 5.1. The picture seems to be remastered to the point that it now rivals the expensive Japanese release.

Set costs $15 at Wal-Mart (or $26.99 on Amazon), so I'll be hunting this down today. Other titles seem throwaway though.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mirama...Blu-ray/37203/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19897385

Comparison screenshots.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114042

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114045

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114043
Old 04-26-12, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and we still don't get the features from the DVD, I assume? Also...looking at the screencaps...uh....the Japanese one still looks much better I think. Did the Japanese one have the correct ratio?
Old 04-26-12, 10:54 AM
Banned by request

No, it doesn't look like the commentaries and featurette were ported over. You're right though, the US looks a little darker than the Japanese (which from what I remember reading does have the correct OAR). But just having this with the correct OAR and HD sound is enough to get me to buy this.
Old 04-26-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard the difference between EB's FTTD and the CA release is negligible.
Old 04-26-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
and we still don't get the features from the DVD, I assume? Also...looking at the screencaps...uh....the Japanese one still looks much better I think. Did the Japanese one have the correct ratio?
The Japanese BD is the only one outside of Echo Bridge's new release(s) that will work in Region A players that has the correct OAR.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I've heard the difference between EB's FTTD and the CA release is negligible.
Miramax actually had a new print made for From Dusk Til Dawn that the Echo Bridge disc uses. However, since Echo Bridge can't properly master a Blu-ray to save their company's life, the Canadian disc looks better simply due to less compression and higher bitrates.

I have the Canadian disc and until there's a release that contains all of the bonus materials from the two-disc DVD, I'll stick with what I have.
Old 04-26-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Japanese BD is the only one outside of Echo Bridge's new release(s) that will work in Region A players that has the correct OAR.

Miramax actually had a new print made for From Dusk Til Dawn that the Echo Bridge disc uses. However, since Echo Bridge can't properly master a Blu-ray to save their company's life, the Canadian disc looks better simply due to less compression and higher bitrates.

I have the Canadian disc and until there's a release that contains all of the bonus materials from the two-disc DVD, I'll stick with what I have.
is there a way of telling which release I have? does the box art or disk look different?
Old 04-26-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So this is interesting. Echo has released a 6 pack of films, which includes Equilibrium. Apparently this re-release now has the correct aspect ratio as well as DTS-HD 5.1. The picture seems to be remastered to the point that it now rivals the expensive Japanese release.
That last sentence is pushing it. The movie has been squeezed onto a single disc with two other feature films. In fact, it and Renaissance are both crushed onto one of the 25 gb disc layers.
Old 04-26-12, 01:35 PM
Banned by request

I was just reading from another post on another site. And those screenshots are directly comparing the remasterd EB edition to the Japanese one. But after seeing the comparision, it doesn't look it rivals the Japanese in brightness and sharpness. I guess it more rivals the first EB release.
Old 04-26-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Echo Bridge has made some progress. Their new disc for Halloween Resurrection is actually decent with 1080p, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and all the DVD extras. I should do a complete review but, if you enjoy the movie, the disc is certainly acceptable at $7.99
Old 05-05-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads up, the best version of Equilibrium is in the Miramax 6 film High Powered Action Pack. 2.35:1 ratio and DTS HD sound. I'm watching it now and can safely say I can finally retire my Japanese HD DVD.
Old 05-07-12, 09:13 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
is there a way of telling which release I have? does the box art or disk look different?
The remastered Canadian version is the one that comes in the steelbook with the dvd included. It includes all the special features from the 2 disc dvd set except for Full Tilt Boogie.
Old 05-07-12, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willh51
Echo Bridge has made some progress. Their new disc for Halloween Resurrection is actually decent with 1080p, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and all the DVD extras. I should do a complete review but, if you enjoy the movie, the disc is certainly acceptable at $7.99
I already have the canadian 3pack, but I might have to spring for this one, so I can dump my standard def edition.
Old 05-09-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, Target has the High-Powered Action Pack on sale for $12.99 this week. Picked up my copy last night. Can't wait to finally check out Equilibrium in hi def.
Old 05-09-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

What are the specifics on this "action pack". How many discs, are they BD50s or BD25s? Don't tell me they have crammed 6 movies on only one or two BD25s! Are average video-bitrates at least above 20 mbits /sec?

I have the Japanese Equilibrium and it is one of the best BDs (albeit, most expensive) I own. The movie is encoded correctly: OAR, very high bitrate (upper 30s), on a BD-50, with grain structure intact. How can Echo bridge beat that?
Old 05-09-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
FYI, Target has the High-Powered Action Pack on sale for $12.99 this week. Picked up my copy last night. Can't wait to finally check out Equilibrium in hi def.
Wish I had waited. Grr...
Old 05-09-12, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by zyzzle
What are the specifics on this "action pack". How many discs, are they BD50s or BD25s? Don't tell me they have crammed 6 movies on only one or two BD25s! Are average video-bitrates at least above 20 mbits /sec?

I have the Japanese Equilibrium and it is one of the best BDs (albeit, most expensive) I own. The movie is encoded correctly: OAR, very high bitrate (upper 30s), on a BD-50, with grain structure intact. How can Echo bridge beat that?
They're 2 discs, each BD50 - and the disc with Equilibrium has 3 movies on it. Average bitrate is between 15-20 Mbps. I just checked on that one. It's not so much as beating the Japanese release as it is a lot cheaper and easily availible now in its correct OAR and HD sound. Picture is good, although I think it could look better.
Old 05-09-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Thanks for that info. Agreed that finally getting a movie out there in OAR after 2? 3? previous releases often trumps technical considerations. At least this release is not garbage like most of their others. Might be worth picking up for $13, as this is likely the best we're going to get for 5 of those other films in the set.
Old 05-09-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Anyone with the Japanese edition has no need for the Echo Bridge disc of Equilibrium.