DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/597580-official-twilight-time-blu-ray-thread.html)

nitin77 09-23-15 03:01 AM

Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

they dont sell through TCM shop anymore but as the poster above has mentioned, they now have their own site (twilighttimemovies) in addition to SAE.

Why So Blu? 09-25-15 09:47 AM

UPDATE on vampires from their FB page:

Our sixth title, JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES, which was also scheduled to go up for pre-order on the 30th, will now be offered TWO WEEKS LATER - on Wednesday, October 14th at 4 pm EST. Our friends at Sony / Columbia have gone the extra mile for us making sure the color timing of the new master will more accurately reflect the original theatrical version, and not the alternate look of the international blu-ray releases, and also fixing the odd edit in one scene that is present in those transfers. We apologize for the slight delay, but rest assured the new blu-ray will be much improved as a result.

E Unit 09-25-15 09:54 AM

It'll sell out, then Sony will re-release it themselves.

rocket1312 09-25-15 09:57 AM

Interesting. I don't care about this title, but it's good to see that Twilight Time is doing their due diligence and not just blindly putting out whatever the studio gives them. Obviously they don't want another Night of the Living Dead situation on their hands. Hopefully they take the same approach if and when they ever get around to Jackie Chan's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master.

rw2516 09-26-15 05:09 PM

Wonder how TT will handle the SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN score.

Kino's CRIMSON CULT BD has an interesting special feature on the re-scoring of some AIP titles.
When Orion acquired the AIP catalog in the 80s and wanted to release them to video and cable, the music score to several European titles that AIP picked up for US distribution had to be cleared.
Orion's legal dept. spent two years trying to track down people and get them cleared. For several titles the person was dead, couldn't be found, or wanted millions of dollars.
Orion hired a guy to re-score those titles. They include:
Witchfinder General/Conqueror Worm(U.S. title)
Curse of The Crimson Altar/Crimson Cult(U.S. title)
Planet of Terror/Planet of The Vampires(U.S. title)
Madhouse
Scream And Scream Again

I don't expect the original score to be on the film, but wonder if the isolated score track will be the original.

OldBoy 09-26-15 07:47 PM

guess, it is time to open up Christine...

PhantomStranger 09-27-15 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12599351)
guess, it is time to open up Christine...

My copy still sits in unopened plastic.

Bluelitespecial 09-27-15 02:20 PM

The extra two week wait on Vampires sucks, but sounds like its for the right reasons. I only hope I can log on at that time to get it with no trouble.

EdTheRipper 09-28-15 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12597992)
UPDATE on vampires from their FB page:

That delay actually works out well for me. I usually get paid on Wednesday, but there will be a slight delay this week. Good timing.

nitin77 09-28-15 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12598001)

not for 3 years though.

AMERICAN 09-28-15 08:25 AM

...does anyone know why twilight releases are so damn expensive?...

kefrank 09-28-15 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by AMERICAN (Post 12600635)

Lower volume = higher per unit cost.

bruceames 09-28-15 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 12600638)
Lower volume = higher per unit cost.

The lower volume part is debatable.

AMERICAN 09-28-15 08:58 AM

..there are so many I'd love to get but the prices are just ridiculous...

hanshotfirst1138 09-28-15 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AMERICAN (Post 12600662)
..there are so many I'd love to get but the prices are just ridiculous...

That's nothing compared to the out of print ones I'd like to buy.

hanshotfirst1138 09-28-15 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bruceames (Post 12600655)
The lower volume part is debatable.

They're aiming at a collector's market, basically.

rocket1312 09-28-15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by AMERICAN (Post 12600635)

Rather than paying a percentage to the studio on every copy sold, Twilight Time pays the studio a lump sum up front to obtain the rights to sell a certain number of copies. They need to sell x number of copies of the 3000 total units for $30 a piece in order to break even. You could make the argument that lowering the per disc cost would increase sales, but as it is they have sold out quite a few titles at that price. People may not like it, but the business model seems to be working for them.

bruceames 09-28-15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12600687)
They're aiming at a collector's market, basically.

Exactly, and a way to make it collectible is to advertise it as limited to x units. That's how they get away with charging more in the first place. They really don't print up more copies than any other distributor, it just that other distributors will print up more copies as needed (which usually isn't necessary). And actually, Twilight Time will print up more copies as needed as well, as they have shown on 4 or 5 releases already. So taking that into account, it really isn't more "limited" than any other release.

Pizza 09-28-15 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bruceames (Post 12600745)
Exactly, and a way to make it collectible is to advertise it as limited to x units. That's how they get away with charging more in the first place. They really don't print up more copies than any other distributor, it just that other distributors will print up more copies as needed (which usually isn't necessary). And actually, Twilight Time will print up more copies as needed as well, as they have shown on 4 or 5 releases already. So taking that into account, it really isn't more "limited" than any other release.

Right. "Limited" is loosely used here. It's whatever is convenient.

Why So Blu? 09-28-15 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12598001)

Should we take that chance? They did so with Christine - even Zardoz got an awesome Arrow release, but do you guys think Sony will release it themselves or will Arrow release an Arrow version themselves?

rocket1312 09-28-15 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12600765)
Should we take that chance? They did so with Christine - even Zardoz got an awesome Arrow release, but do you guys think Sony will release it themselves or will Arrow release an Arrow version themselves?

I'd say chances are slim that Sony will re-release anything stateside. Christine is obviously the exception, but that was the fastest sell out in Twilight Time's history by a wide margin. At the very least it will get a release somewhere in the world. That's been the case with most of TT's more desireable titles.

davidh777 09-28-15 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bruceames (Post 12600745)

Four or five isn't that many out of the overall slate, though. It seems like the non-horror titles get printed, sit on their site for quite a while, then eventually go out of stock. They're aiming for the collector's market, sure, but who else is going to buy this stuff, even if it were at mass-market prices?

bruceames 09-28-15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12600800)
Four or five isn't that many out of the overall slate, though. It seems like the non-horror titles get printed, sit on their site for quite a while, then eventually go out of stock. They're aiming for the collector's market, sure, but who else is going to buy this stuff, even if it were at mass-market prices?

I think just like any other distributor, when they sell out of an initial run, they will only reissue it if they believe that the second run will (eventually) sell the number of units pressed. For most distributors, that can mean as little as 1000 units, but for TT, their model is based on 3000 (or 5000 in some cases). So they have to be a little more choosy about it. Besides, reissuing every single title that sells out would not help the integrity of the LE model they have in place (which they use to justify the high "street" prices).

Kedrix 09-30-15 08:49 AM

So if I read everything correctly, COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE (1970), SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN (1970), STRANGE INVADERS (1983), BLACK WIDOW (1987), and DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS (1995) go on Pre-order TODAY. And then Vampires goes on Preorder in a couple of weeks on the 14th.

If that's the case....I'll wait for Vampires before placing an order cause I'm about 100% sure that Black Widow will not sell out in two weeks. Heck...that sucker will probably not sell out for a while (I'm thinking maybe even sale time...but that might be pushing it).

Bluelitespecial 10-13-15 12:35 AM

Only two more days for the Vampires preorder, i have nothing to interfere with being home to place a preorder. I only hope its no trouble.