DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/597580-official-twilight-time-blu-ray-thread.html)

riotinmyskull 02-25-12 09:21 PM

Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

ahhhh fuck those are some big titles. not a good sign.

MTRodaba2468 02-25-12 11:07 PM

As Good As It Gets? Damn. The state of catalog sales must be bad if Sony's passing on a fairly popular film that won a number of Oscars, including Best Actor and Actress...

Jaymole 02-26-12 04:38 AM

I'm not a fan of Twilight Time so it is sad to see some of those titles on that list :(

LorenzoL 02-26-12 07:10 AM

So far I have resisted ordering anything from them (Picnic was tempting) but I may have to bite the bullet to get "As Good As It Gets". I loved that movie!

It's a shame about the pricing and limited copies but at least somebody is willing to release these movies.

Superdaddy 02-26-12 08:14 AM

I'm most likely in for Bite the Bullet and The Big Heat from this upcoming batch.

As Good As It Gets is a film I like, but not enough to buy (mulled getting it on DVD but ultimately passed). Saw it in the theatre and that one viewing was enough for me. But, as several have suggested, this is another big indicator of the state of BD catalog sales. I skim other forums (AVS, blu-ray, and HTF) and those in the know all seem to confirm that hardcore home video buyers would probably be shocked at how few copies a lot of catalog titles sell on BD (the evergreens like Casablanca, Oz, etc. excepted).

Gotta get myself in gear and order Swamp Water and maybe Rapture. Then I'll be caught up on the ones I want. (I have Mysterious Island, Fright Night, and The Roots of Heaven). The prices are high, but the quality cannot be faulted. I'm pleased with what I've got from them so far.

davidh777 02-26-12 11:46 AM

Surprised by both Journey and As Good as It Gets

smirnoffski 02-26-12 03:49 PM

Unfortunately, these releases are likely to be the last ever physical media issues of these films. As has been suggested, enthusiast catalog film buyers like many on these forums are a declining minority niche of the larger home video market. Foregoing costs in producing extra features and pricing high are likely the only feasible way to get such films released on disc. I am sure the margins are narrow as it is.

I think such small labels are miscalculating the extent to which the hardcore buyer is price sensitive. As much as I want to purchase each and every Twilight release and support the company, it is hard to stomach a $20+ price on a feature only release when we've been spoiled by extras laden catalog releases going for $10. At $10 I would readily take a chance on a film I've never seen or heard of before, but not at $20. So far, I have only purchased Picnic with an eye on The Big Heat.

It seems, correct me if I am wrong, the only company that can enhance the exposure, appeal, and financial feasibility of releasing such films is Criterion. The Criterion label is enough for many to take a plunge on something marginal at a $20+ price.

In any case, I would love to hear some hard numbers on catalog title sales.

Willh51 02-27-12 09:52 AM

I'm surprised by As Good As It Gets, too. I'm not sure on the specifics, but since Image is releasing a bunch of Sony titles I'm surprised they're not handling that. I appreciate that the folks at Twilight Time seem to be film enthusiasts, but I'm just not sure I'm going to buy something like As Good As It Gets for $35 barebones. An interview I read said the Sony titles are "ready for Blu-ray but not on the schedule" so hopefully that at least means the masters are good, but I much prefer the Image $10-$15 route, cheap as I am.

NoirFan 02-27-12 10:00 AM

Twilight Time should at least offer free shipping on orders over $100, and/or perhaps some sort of frequent buyer point program, like DVD Planet. Even a B4G1 promotion would be welcome.

Gizmo 02-27-12 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Willh51 (Post 11131178)
I'm surprised by As Good As It Gets, too. I'm not sure on the specifics, but since Image is releasing a bunch of Sony titles I'm surprised they're not handling that. I appreciate that the folks at Twilight Time seem to be film enthusiasts, but I'm just not sure I'm going to buy something like As Good As It Gets for $35 barebones. An interview I read said the Sony titles are "ready for Blu-ray but not on the schedule" so hopefully that at least means the masters are good, but I much prefer the Image $10-$15 route, cheap as I am.

Most likely Sony sold Twilight Time a bunch of junk titles and tossed in a few gems to make it worth their time. Happens all the time. But AS Good As It Gets it probably a bit too big....

Oh well. Looks like I'll "find" a copy to watch. No way will I spend $30+ on this barebones disc when I'm regularly buying catalog for $10 or less.

Josh-da-man 02-27-12 10:13 AM

I don't really see "As Good as It Gets" being a huge seller. It's a fifteen year old romcom and I don't really see that genre being a big one for blu-ray, especially among catalog titles.

I do think that "Fright Night" probably would have sold reasonably well for Sony, though, since it's a cult classic, and I would think that horror movie fans are more likely to buy catalog titles on blu-ray than mainstream audiences. (I'd say that "Fright Night" was the gem amongst the junk Sony sold TT, and not "As Good as It Gets."

NoirFan 02-28-12 10:33 AM

Use the code AMAZON to get $10 off of $50. Previously, this code was only good for those who had previously purchased TT CDs on Amazon, but it seems to have worked for me. I ordered Pal Joey and Swamp Water for $60.20 shipped.

NoirFan 02-28-12 02:46 PM

Blu-ray.com review of Pal Joey

whotony 02-29-12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 11132799)
Use the code AMAZON to get $10 off of $50. Previously, this code was only good for those who had previously purchased TT CDs on Amazon, but it seems to have worked for me. I ordered Pal Joey and Swamp Water for $60.20 shipped.

You used this code at Screenarchives or amazon.com?

NoirFan 02-29-12 05:16 PM

Screen Archives

Superdaddy 02-29-12 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 11132799)

Thank you. Got Rapture and Swamp Water for $55.20.

NoirFan 03-05-12 07:59 AM

DVD Beaver on Picnic

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-05-12 09:46 AM

I like Swamp Water but is this one of those deals, like Fright Night, where if I don't pick it up now I'm going to get screwed on the price later on? If so, I need to figure out a second title for the coupon.

Superdaddy 03-05-12 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11140216)
I like Swamp Water but is this one of those deals, like Fright Night, where if I don't pick it up now I'm going to get screwed on the price later on? If so, I need to figure out a second title for the coupon.

Well, if/when it sells out, prices will probably go up, but there's probably less of an audience for Swamp Water than Fright Night, so maybe not as much.

In any case, since these are more expensive than your typical studio BD release as it is, it's always better to grab it now if you can, while it's in stock.

Which reminds me...my order of Rapture and Swamp Water I put in last week is still sitting there, on "pending" status, apparently unshipped. My previous orders from them went out fast. Wonder what the delay is.

NoirFan 03-05-12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11140216)

As Superdaddy said, Swamp Water won't sell out any time in the near future, but I'm not sure how long the coupon is active for. If you're looking for a second title, I'd recommend either Mysterious Island (terrific fun, with arguably the best cast and script of any Harryhausen film) or Rapture, which I found to be an incredibly beautiful, moving film, directed with incredible sensitivity and style by the auteur of Shaft in Africa and Tarzan goes to India.

Which reminds me...my order of Rapture and Swamp Water I put in last week is still sitting there, on "pending" status, apparently unshipped. My previous orders from them went out fast. Wonder what the delay is.
I just received Swamp Water today, so I'm guessing that Rapture is out of stock, and thus holding back your entire order.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-05-12 09:00 PM

I ended up going with Mysterious Island.

junglalien 03-06-12 04:49 AM

http://i41.tinypic.com/308e3qq.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/25uip3t.jpg

Lastdaysofrain 03-06-12 07:10 AM

Bell Book and Candle is a movie I've never seen but kind of always wanted to, but with the Twilight Time prices I'm not likely going to buy it sight unseen just to check it out.

NoirFan 03-06-12 08:04 AM

Those are their best covers yet!

JackBurton 03-06-12 08:17 AM

I really want Journey. Hopefully, they announce another "must have" for me and the coupon is still active by the time I'm ready to order. I already have Mysterious Island and Fright Night.