Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
re: The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle
$52 to ship that defective set back?? Insane, I had no idea postage costs from the US to England have reached such an egregrious level. The set can't have weighed more than a couple of pounds.
4.5 lbs. Anything over 4 at the USPS bumps it up to another pricing level. No worries - I got refunded. I also got slapped with an $11 charge from customs for the REPLACEMENT. Again, Amazon UK refunded that as well.
Old 12-11-12, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you guys in the US didn't get custom charges?
Old 12-11-12, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
4.5 lbs. Anything over 4 at the USPS bumps it up to another pricing level. No worries - I got refunded. I also got slapped with an $11 charge from customs for the REPLACEMENT. Again, Amazon UK refunded that as well.
goddamn. So that's what I'm going to face? FUCK ME.
Old 12-11-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
I thought you guys in the US didn't get custom charges?
I thought it was a $200 exemption for US?
Old 12-12-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by snausages
I thought it was a $200 exemption for US?
Yeah, they priced the value over that I guess, and it got hit with a $4.50 customs fee, plus an additional brokerage charge from UPS since they work as a broker for customs...UPS pays customs and then bills me. First time I had this issue with Amazon UK, but it's also the first time they ever 2-dayed me a replacement. Again, I emphasize that Amazon refunded me all the charges on the day I emailed them the receipts...so it was a minor hassle, but worth the trouble in this case (to get a damage-free set).
Old 12-12-12, 02:42 PM
Banned

Well I'm going to send mine today. To whom do I email them this them. The same address as last time? This one: [email protected]

This is the email I needed to send the PDF of my receipt, though last time I was directed to this email address. I'm assuming this group of Amazon UK does this stuff as part of their nature?

EDIT: Maybe I'm not going to send it today. I'm going to take a closer look on my newer set that was sent. It doesn't have the number on the side. My original set had a sticker w/ #1926. This one doesn't. I'm going to carefully look at this new set. Trying to see which disc has possible physical damage or weird alteration on it, the BD itself... not the films, lol.

Plastic case for sure has no crack and is so sexy. I'm going to swap peices between the two just to have the most undamaged looking set I can from it. Goddam is this set so goddamn sexy.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-12-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You should play the movies inside of it sometime, those are pretty good as well.
Old 12-12-12, 03:28 PM
Banned

Fucker.
Old 12-12-12, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Ha.

So I don't get it. Did Universal UK just decide the "Collector's Edition" shouldn't be that, so they decided to make more, and not numbering them? I still don't know how many were originally supposed to be.
Old 12-12-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Did Universal UK just decide the "Collector's Edition" shouldn't be that, so they decided to make more, and not numbering them? I still don't know how many were originally supposed to be.
In my experience (and especially in the home video market), the vast majority of numbered limited editions are "limited" to whatever number the company thinks they can sell.
Old 12-12-12, 08:57 PM

Okay everyone, here's the bigger question regarding this 'limited edition' set, why isn't there one made in the United States. One can get this Masterpiece set from Germany, France and the United Kingdom why is that? This actually costs less that the US basic Hitchcock Collection set!!!!
Old 12-12-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per a member on blu-ray.com, if you have a Costco membership, they have the set for $124.99.
Old 12-12-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Per a member on blu-ray.com, if you have a Costco membership, they have the set for $124.99.
Hmm, I was just there this morning and didn't see any instant rebate on that set...
Old 12-13-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDoug
Okay everyone, here's the bigger question regarding this 'limited edition' set, why isn't there one made in the United States. One can get this Masterpiece set from Germany, France and the United Kingdom why is that? This actually costs less that the US basic Hitchcock Collection set!!!!
In general, the American market doesn't go for fancy DVD and Blu-ray packaging the way that other countries do. They don't sell nearly as well here.
Old 12-22-12, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The set is currently the Amazon deal of the day, $119.99 Amazon, 60% off.
Old 01-05-13, 12:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

So, if one were to buy either the limited set or regular set from amazon.co.uk or amazon.com NOW, would it be the "fixed" discs or the ones with errors?

I'd hate to spend all that cash only to find out I have to request replacement discs...

I did a half-assed search in this thread, but didn't see any info on this.

Last edited by Dan; 01-05-13 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 06:52 AM
Banned

What errors? You mean like the titles and shit? It was held back for that reason. They're fixed now.
Old 01-07-13, 12:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Yeah, the titles. For some reason, I thought some of the faulty sets were out in the wild... didn't realize the whole thing was held back to fix them all.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 01-07-13, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Been plowing through most of the UK discs (got mine when it first came out, so I assume it's one of the original sets since it has a limited edition number on it), and I haven't encountered a single error with any of them. Just need to see Psycho and Saboteur. I did find it interesting some of the menus have those icons, while others do not. I thought the Universal UK releases had those icons all the time.
Old 01-07-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
In general, the American market doesn't go for fancy DVD and Blu-ray packaging the way that other countries do. They don't sell nearly as well here.
Count me amoung the typical American buyer. I want things the will uniformly fit on the shelf.

This set is too beautiful though and don't mind displaying it.
Old 01-07-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm not sure what information you base that on but at Amazon's UK site there are many, many boxsets listed in their list of top 100 "TV and Film" bestsellers and not a single one is a gift or specialty set.

Originally Posted by Timber
Count me amoung the typical American buyer. I want things the will uniformly fit on the shelf.

This set is too beautiful though and don't mind displaying it.
I'm not one for 'piled higher and deeper' but I did see someone else's UK Hitchcock plexiglas thing-a-ma-jig and it really is fine-looking eye candy.
Old 01-07-13, 04:42 PM
Banned

Admittingly I've a few of these fancy sets but it's actually not the sets that I go for. Usually these things have certain features that the regular release doesn't or I just get it cuz somehow it's actually pretty damn cheap in comparison to the other version.
Old 01-07-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Vertigo looked great on BD, but the PQ upgrade was more substantial on The Man Who Knew too Much. Vertigo looked pretty good on DVD already, but TMWKTM looked awful.
Old 03-03-13, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally broke down and picked up Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious on Amazon cause they were down to $10.99 each. Rebecca is up to $14.00 now, but the other two are still $10.99.

They're good films, but a trifle slow IMHO and never been amongst my favorite Hitchcock films so $25 each always seemed a bit much.

Wish I could recoup the cost by selling the Criterion DVDs but there's an awful lot of extras that didn't carry over.
Old 03-03-13, 05:42 PM

I might as well post this here: Secret Agent, Sabotage and Young and Innocent have all shown up on Criterion's Hulu, so it's probably safe to assume blu-rays are coming at some point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.