Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Official Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray & UHD Thread

Amazon.com has stopped selling Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder BD. It can't be ordered as of now, and it doesn't say "Item Under Review" or "Ships in XX days." It says, "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."
Old 10-15-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe they'll fix it
Old 10-15-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It's back.

http://www.amazon.com/Dial-M-Murder-...+for+murder+3d
Old 10-16-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
maybe they'll fix it
Fix what?
Old 10-16-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Fix what?
the extensive halo-ing
Old 10-16-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
the extensive halo-ing
If they do, they had better replace my copy... it was only on certain shots of the movies, but enough to be distracting at times... even if the total amount of it in the movie was small. The other shots looked great, it didnt take way from my liking the movie itself, as it was my first viewing of this film...
Old 10-16-12, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I dunno. When someone says "haloing", I think of edge enhancement. Whatever that effect is here, it's clearly optical in nature.

Many of those screenshots are disappointing, but the best ones still look pretty spectacular. I'd be in no matter what -- a cheap date for all things Hitchcock or Grace Kelly's name on the bill -- and I remain cautiously optimistic.
It looks they way it has always looked. The "haloing" is definitely photochemical and is nothing I haven't seen before in old films that have extensive optical work. You want a comparison look at John Wayne's Hondo, also released on bluray albeit only in 2D (which is a real missed opportunity). They look pretty much the same, which is wildly all over the place.

It's sad to see all of the internet bitching about Dial M. Yeah, the rear projection isn't the best ever and the optical transitions are rough. Filming using the ginormous clunky 3D cameras introduced it's own set of problems. But that's the movie, that's how it's been since Hitchock's team made it. You'd think people would know by now that not every "old movie" looks like Ben Hur.

Dial M For Murder is a great bluray and better quality than any 35mm print you will ever get to see. I'm glad to have it.
Old 10-16-12, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac
It looks they way it has always looked. The "haloing" is definitely photochemical and is nothing I haven't seen before in old films that have extensive optical work. You want a comparison look at John Wayne's Hondo, also released on bluray albeit only in 2D (which is a real missed opportunity). They look pretty much the same, which is wildly all over the place.

It's sad to see all of the internet bitching about Dial M. Yeah, the rear projection isn't the best ever and the optical transitions are rough. Filming using the ginormous clunky 3D cameras introduced it's own set of problems. But that's the movie, that's how it's been since Hitchock's team made it. You'd think people would know by now that not every "old movie" looks like Ben Hur.

Dial M For Murder is a great bluray and better quality than any 35mm print you will ever get to see. I'm glad to have it.
I wouldn't dare calling myself an expert or even anything close to, but sometimes it feels like people almost WANT to find issues.
Old 10-18-12, 05:52 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I needed to draw a parallel.

The following link is the DVDTalk review of CC's Children Of Paradise, which gives VQ 5 stars and AQ 4.5 stars.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/56756...n-of-paradise/

The guy who reviewed the Hitchcock set has been describing the COP blu as "botched" for a few weeks now. Make what you will of that.
Old 10-18-12, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LPMA
Sorry for the double post, but I needed to draw a parallel.

The following link is the DVDTalk review of CC's Children Of Paradise, which gives VQ 5 stars and AQ 4.5 stars.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/56756...n-of-paradise/

The guy who reviewed the Hitchcock set has been describing the COP blu as "botched" for a few weeks now. Make what you will of that.
Criterion's bluray of Children of Paradise is awful. It's been severely noise reduced. They should be ashamed of releasing it. I dunno what credentials that DVDTalk reviewer has, but I'm guessing nil.
Old 10-18-12, 09:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Criterion's bluray of Children of Paradise is awful. It's been severely noise reduced. They should be ashamed of releasing it. I dunno what credentials that DVDTalk reviewer has, but I'm guessing nil.

noise reduced? the whole film looks like it was tealed with brown mud, the black levels are crushed beyond belief.
Old 10-18-12, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
noise reduced? the whole film looks like it was tealed with brown mud, the black levels are crushed beyond belief.

Are we talking about the same Children of Paradise?
Old 10-18-12, 09:33 PM

Are we talking about the same Children of Paradise?
okay maybe I'm being a bit severe but...

take a look at something like 'In Which We Serve' that 4K restoration displays deep dark black levels, unless I'm wrong, Children's image looked tinged - maybe that's intentional, but I'm not a fan of the PQ of the bluray.
Old 10-18-12, 09:35 PM

take a look at something like 'In Which We Serve' that 4K restoration is black and white, unless I'm wrong, Children's image looked tinged - maybe that's intentional, but I'm not a fan of the PQ of the bluray.
Ok. I'll have to compare to see what you're talking about. I will give a shout out to In Which We Serve. That whole box is bluray done right.
Old 10-18-12, 09:43 PM

oops, did a quick re-edit of my post

from

take a look at something like 'In Which We Serve' that 4K restoration is black and white

to

take a look at something like 'In Which We Serve' that 4K restoration "displays deep dark black levels"

in regards to the Lean/Coward Box Set, even the technicolor 'This Happy Breed' is quite a transfer, the one shot where the camera pulls through the kitchen towards the window in an establishing shot - the clarity and sharpness is so tactile, you almost want to reach into your TV/monitor and touch objects (a faux 3D visual perception in 2D) - this is also evident in the stunning 4K restoration of 'The Leopard' (now that's a transfer that makes the Criterion edition look pale in comparison).
Old 10-18-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanna echo the praise for Dial M For Murder. It's as great as the movie can ever look.
Old 10-19-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

The problems with Children of Paradise stem back to the alleged "4k restoration" performed on the film by its European owners at Pathe. Criterion was limited in the source material it could use for the Blu-ray by the results of that restoration.
Old 10-19-12, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The problems with Children of Paradise stem back to the alleged "4k restoration" performed on the film by its European owners at Pathe. Criterion was limited in the source material it could use for the Blu-ray by the results of that restoration.
so I'm assuming the French import would look the same, as would the DCP that Rialto is distributing to theaters for revival screenings.
Old 10-19-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rizor
I wanna echo the praise for Dial M For Murder. It's as great as the movie can ever look.
For the most part, I was incredibly impressed with the quality of the picture, watching on an 82" tv dvd make the haloing parts stand out more than normal, but didnt take from my liking the movie itself. It just seemed to do it on certain shots... The 3d I loved, I didnt need any pop out effects that would take away from the story (the murder scene was sweet though)... the 3d really made me feel more like I was eavesdropping on what was going on, especially the scenes from up above the actors.
Old 10-20-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

so I'm assuming the French import would look the same, as would the DCP that Rialto is distributing to theaters for revival screenings.
People who've seen the DCP have said that it's a waxy DNR mess, yes.

For what it's worth, here's an article about the restoration that tries to put a positive spin on it.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...restored-to-4k

Quemy also notes that another division of Éclair Laboratories did the sound restoration, which was also from an original nitrate sound positive. The last thing they did was take a careful look at grain. "We had certain shots coming from different film elements and the grain on those shots was very, very poor," says Lurin. "To a point, it was really distracting to the audience. You'd look at an image with fine grain and then you'd switch to the next shot from a dupe positive with lots of grain." Post-restoration, the team used Cinnafilm Dark Energy to manage the grain and texture."
Old 10-20-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Beaver's been putting up "reviews" and screen caps of the new AH set. Looks good to me so far!
Old 10-20-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Beav on Marnie, one of the more problematic discs from the initial UK reviews. Maybe I'm showing how much of an amateur I am, but it looks pretty solid; I've seen far worse transfers. Gary chalks up any issues to a problem with the source print, but who knows.
Old 10-20-12, 05:41 PM

Any chance of a discounted price somewhere that Amazon will have to price match? I still haven't made up my mind yet. The limited UK set does look pretty, but if it comes with the million age restriction tags on each discs like the Monsters set, it'll ruin the look a bit...

Edit: I've been looking around at the Beaver reviews and I'm less inclined to worry about this set now.

Last edited by LPMA; 10-20-12 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
Any chance of a discounted price somewhere that Amazon will have to price match? I still haven't made up my mind yet. The limited UK set does look pretty, but if it comes with the million age restriction tags on each discs like the Monsters set, it'll ruin the look a bit...

Edit: I've been looking around at the Beaver reviews and I'm less inclined to worry about this set now.
Do you stare at the printing on the discs while they are playing in your player?!
Old 10-20-12, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by musick
Do you stare at the printing on the discs while they are playing in your player?!
No, but I do get how silly it sounds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.