Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Originally Posted by cpgator
Are you buying mulitple copies of the same movie, or just buying extra slip covers?
I'm just buying multiple slipcovers. That would be insane to buy multiple copies of the same movie.
Old 05-26-12, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
And no one even questioned the asking price.
That's because us collector's know not to buy a slipcover at that price.
Old 05-26-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by a/v Junkie
I'm just buying multiple slipcovers. That would be insane to buy multiple copies of the same movie.
But buying cardbord slips for no other reason than just to have them is perfectly rational.
Old 05-26-12, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
But buying cardbord slips for no other reason than just to have them is perfectly rational.
Like I said, I'm a slipcover collector. I collect slipcovers. Not sure why people have a hard time understanding that.
Old 05-26-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, I'm a slipcover collector. I collect slipcovers. Not sure why people have a hard time understanding that.
How do you store them so they don't get bent up? I figure'd you bought multiple copies of the same movie.

Seems kind of irrational to just have some cardboard sleeves with nothing to put them on. Do you just stare at the pictures for hours on end?
Old 05-26-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem stems from a very minimal group of people that "collect slipcovers" on here. Therefore, it's seen as silly (or even dumb). If you were to post up your collection and finds over at a more "slip-friendly" place (if there is one), then you wouldn't get these questioning comments and such.

I'm sure that many people on here have weird habits and collections, but they don't feel a need to brag about them unless they're around like-minded individuals.
Old 05-26-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Originally Posted by mcfly
How do you store them so they don't get bent up? I figure'd you bought multiple copies of the same movie.

Seems kind of irrational to just have some cardboard sleeves with nothing to put them on. Do you just stare at the pictures for hours on end?
I don't see this as anything diffent than collecting anything else.
If there is a product that has different versions,msomeone will collect it.

People collect anything why is one thing any less valid than another.
Old 05-26-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can see having a collection yes, but the Men In Black slipcovers for instance, four of them were the exact same image and three just have a border around the image. That just seems extremely goofy to me to collect something for a oddball reason like that. Plus I mean they're slipcovers. What do you really do with them? I doubt you display them prominently in your home or anything so my guess is they're just stored away. It just doesn't seem to serve much purpose to me. The only way I could see is if you were a huge fan of a certain movie or something that's maybe a different case, but if you're doing it for multiple movies just seems extremely wasteful to me.
Old 05-27-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to collect variant covers for comics, same basic idea, of course I stopped doing so about a decade ago because I got tired of it. I do not even see it as anything to understand, you want them, that really is all there is to it.

If everyone looked into every detail of our collecting habits we could question a ton of things because it is different from what we do.
Old 06-01-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I am doing that right now!
lol, that's what I did. I just sold three pieces of cardboard for $90. The best part is, in a few years down the road these won't be worth a damn thing.
Old 06-01-12, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
lol, that's what I did. I just sold three pieces of cardboard for $90. The best part is, in a few years down the road these won't be worth a damn thing.
Where are you finding out if you have "rare" slips? I'd be willing to part with a bunch of mine if I could score some cash out of it.
Old 06-01-12, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you let those people know I have some beanie babies for sale. Oh, that and a bridge.
Old 06-01-12, 08:53 AM
Suspended

My thoughts on slip covers, is like dust jackets, they protect the blu ray or DVD case, but I think they're a whatever. I mean sometimes the slip case can be a hassle especially if you own one of those blu ray/DVD tower type things those slip cases get in the way of you placing your movie in the slot.

My other gripe with slip covers is that when you buy a movie from Best Buy or something they slap the price tag on their and when you try and take it off, sometimes it tears the art. Happened to my Machete and Suckerpuch blu rays.
Old 06-01-12, 09:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Which ones did you sell?
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Where are you finding out if you have "rare" slips? I'd be willing to part with a bunch of mine if I could score some cash out of it.
Ditto!
Old 06-01-12, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by JGaitan82
My other gripe with slip covers is that when you buy a movie from Best Buy or something they slap the price tag on their and when you try and take it off, sometimes it tears the art. Happened to my Machete and Suckerpuch blu rays.
Next time use Goo Gone. That stuff works great on those annoying price stickers.
Old 06-01-12, 10:18 AM

That's what you think. LOL!!!
Old 06-01-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what you think. LOL!!!
Are DVD slipcases a big thing too, or is it just blu-rays? If so, what's the priciest/rarest DVD slipcover?
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 AM

Are DVD slipcases a big thing too, or is it just blu-rays? If so, what's the priciest/rarest DVD slipcover?
Right now, blu-ray slipcovers are really hot. But some of these people put ridiculous prices on slipcovers nowadays. Especially on evilBay. Not sure about DVD slipcovers though. I stopped collecting those. I'm pretty sure like the old Disney DVD slipcovers are probably the rarest. Or just any DVD title that has a slip that went OOP will be rare.
Old 06-01-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right now, blu-ray slipcovers are really hot. But some of these people put ridiculous prices on slipcovers nowadays. Especially on evilBay. Not sure about DVD slipcovers though. I stopped collecting those. I'm pretty sure like the old Disney DVD slipcovers are probably the rarest. Or just any DVD title that has a slip that went OOP will be rare.
So judging by your admission that DVD slipcovers are pretty much not in style anymore, why do you think your blu-ray covers aren't going to go the same direction when that format is eclipsed by the next format?

Comics, sports cards, other collectibles rarely hold their value for an extended period of time unless you get really lucky. It's cool to collect something if you enjoy it, but to think you're going to have something valuable later down the road is extremely delusional.
Old 06-01-12, 01:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JGaitan82

Not Best Buy but the Fry's I shop at actually puts their price tag underneath the slipcover.
Old 06-01-12, 03:35 PM

So judging by your admission that DVD slipcovers are pretty much not in style anymore, why do you think your blu-ray covers aren't going to go the same direction when that format is eclipsed by the next format?
It doesn't matter if blu-ray becomes a dead or an obsolete format. Actually, that will be good for the slip collector's. The rarity on the slips will be very high. Look at HD DVD. Collector's are going crazy over HD DVD slipcovers. It's impossible to find them.

Originally Posted by Texan26
Not Best Buy but the Fry's I shop at actually puts their price tag underneath the slipcover.
I remember back in the day my Fry's would put the price sticker on the slipcover. It was a pain in the ass to peel them off and that was before I knew about Goo Gone. I'm glad they stopped putting the price stickers on the slips.

Last edited by a/v Junkie; 06-01-12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't wait until they start making digital copy $lipcover$!
Old 06-01-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

at the idea people think their slipcovers will be rare and collectible someday. Granted there may be a tiny market for them, but it's going to be a very limited number of people who would buy them. We online fans are the minority as is and it seems like a ton of us even find collecting them silly already. I doubt there's going to be a boom in demand.
Old 06-01-12, 10:53 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the members here will enjoy this vid. LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVF4Ks7xYiQ
Old 06-01-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I like slip-covers, FWIW. I keep them on the cases on the shelf. I think the only ones I am missing are Hero and the ultra-rare Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Incidentally, what is the first title you remember seeing with a slip-cover? It's obviously going to be DVD, but the earliest memory I have is from Sideways. I think.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.