HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Old 06-01-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: these people are obsessed with slipcovers

Originally Posted by a/v Junkie View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the members here will enjoy this vid. LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVF4Ks7xYiQ
It was pretty meh until that last shot made the video worthwhile.

Old 06-01-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Which ones did you sell?
Got rid of Moon, The Golden Compass (embossed), and Hero. I've had pretty much every single one of the "rare" slips in my possession. I just hold onto them for a while and let them print me money.
Old 06-01-12, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
at the idea people think their slipcovers will be rare and collectible someday. Granted there may be a tiny market for them, but it's going to be a very limited number of people who would buy them. We online fans are the minority as is and it seems like a ton of us even find collecting them silly already. I doubt there's going to be a boom in demand.
When was the last time you saw a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula with slipcover at a retail store?? Now who's laughing
Old 06-01-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When was the last time you saw a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula with slipcover at a retail store?? Now who's laughing
And? I'm sorry man but most people aside from a very tiny minority would even care. You know when even a bunch of Internet fans make fun of it that the group of people that want them let alone collect them is fairly small. Plus I guess my whole thing with them is if you like them and when you initially purchase a movie and the movie happens to have one that's one thing but I just find it funny that people pay more money for something that's essentially useless.
Old 06-02-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
lol, that's what I did. I just sold three pieces of cardboard for $90. The best part is, in a few years down the road these won't be worth a damn thing.
Wow, which ones tend to be worth that much? Like, here enjoy my cardboard, even if we did kind of care and you knew that, SOLD!
Old 06-02-12, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

First unsealed slipcover I saw was Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Couldn't believe stores were actually putting price tags right on it.
Old 06-02-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't matter if blu-ray becomes a dead or an obsolete format. Actually, that will be good for the slip collector's. The rarity on the slips will be very high. Look at HD DVD. Collector's are going crazy over HD DVD slipcovers. It's impossible to find them.
Go back and read my comments on br.com about how you are collecting inside a tiny bubble and if this hobby ever really took off, the value of the slips would plummet as the market was flooded via people who had them yet never realized they might actually be 'wanted'. There are thousands upon thousands of each and every so-called 'rare' slip. Don't fool yourself into thinking there isn't.
Old 06-02-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just checking eBay, someone paid $40 for a $7 Beetlejuice Blu-Ray simply because it had the slipcover. Which really was rare, because I bought it on release date and couldn't find a slipcover anywhere.

$40 for that Dracula slipcover, and $40 for The Incredible Hulk slip cover, which of course I sold back the movie a while ago for probably $5.

So there is a market for these things. Even a "small" market can be profitable since it's on the Internet.
Old 06-02-12, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
Go back and read my comments on br.com about how you are collecting inside a tiny bubble and if this hobby ever really took off, the value of the slips would plummet as the market was flooded via people who had them yet never realized they might actually be 'wanted'. There are thousands upon thousands of each and every so-called 'rare' slip. Don't fool yourself into thinking there isn't.
Can you tell me which thread to check out so I can read your "comments".
Old 06-02-12, 10:08 AM

And? I'm sorry man but most people aside from a very tiny minority would even care. You know when even a bunch of Internet fans make fun of it that the group of people that want them let alone collect them is fairly small. Plus I guess my whole thing with them is if you like them and when you initially purchase a movie and the movie happens to have one that's one thing but I just find it funny that people pay more money for something that's essentially useless.
And??? Nevermind. I guess my post flew over your head.
Old 06-02-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you tell me which thread to check out so I can read your "comments".
I believe it was in the general slipcover forum.

And I'm not knocking your enjoyment, just pointing out a glaring omission that never seems to come up when the collectors boast about the value.
Old 06-02-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And??? Nevermind. I guess my post flew over your head.
Is this in reference to your asking how many Dracula slips he sees in retail stores? If so, that plays into my bubble comment. I just counted, and in my Blu-ray collection I have 257 slipcovers. I have no idea how many of those may be of value to a slip collector, and that's with me being aware that there are those out there that do collect them -- something the general public is not. The trading/selling takes place within the same small subset of collectors and the value only holds while you're in that bubble. Step outside it to get to the slips that I and countless other oblivious disc owners have, and it bursts.
Old 06-02-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this in reference to your asking how many Dracula slips he sees in retail stores? If so, that plays into my bubble comment. I just counted, and in my Blu-ray collection I have 257 slipcovers. I have no idea how many of those may be of value to a slip collector, and that's with me being aware that there are those out there that do collect them -- something the general public is not. The trading/selling takes place within the same small subset of collectors and the value only holds while you're in that bubble. Step outside it to get to the slips that I and countless other oblivious disc owners have, and it bursts.
Exactly. If I had to wager I'd guess it's a very small percentage of people who actually give a damn about a slipcover ..
Old 06-02-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure most of the members here will enjoy this vid. LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVF4Ks7xYiQ
That was good. he really hit that nail on the head.
Old 06-02-12, 01:16 PM

Exactly. If I had to wager I'd guess it's a very small percentage of people who actually give a damn about a slipcover ..
You guys have it all wrong. I don't care about the value of the slip. It's the rarity that matters to me. I have no plans on selling my slipcover collection which includes the hardest slipcovers to find. It sickens me to see slipcovers selling $50 - $200 on e(vil)Bay and other forums. Those sellers are not collectors like me. All they want is fast cash. If I do have extra slips on hand then I will either trade it or give it away. And some buyers are dumb enough to buy slipcovers at those prices.
Old 06-02-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With what I was saying you could easily swap 'value' for 'rarity'. Just because you don't see them on store shelves doesn't mean there aren't countless on the shelves of disc collectors.
Old 06-02-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those sellers are not collectors like me. All they want is fast cash. If I do have extra slips on hand then I will either trade it or give it away. And some buyers are dumb enough to buy slipcovers at those prices.
Some people take cash where they can find it, that is how some people make their money, I see stuff from time to time and if any of the slipcovers I have are worth anything they are sure to be sold as I could use the cash. However I leave it up to the buyers to tell me what they wish to pay, start it at a dollar and they can bid or not. I was surprised when I found out people were paying crazy amounts of money for some slipcovers.

If I have a slipcover that could go for fifty dollars It would be sold it a second, there is nothing evil about allowing others to tell me how much something is worth to them. (Auctions)
Old 06-04-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had no idea that the "Bram Stoker's Dracula" slipcover was rare, putting the baby on ebay ASAP.
Old 06-04-12, 01:44 PM

With what I was saying you could easily swap 'value' for 'rarity'. Just because you don't see them on store shelves doesn't mean there aren't countless on the shelves of disc collectors.
I thought the majority of the members here and members on other forums throw away their slipcovers.
Old 06-04-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the majority of the members here and members on other forums throw away their slipcovers.
I don't know that the majority throw them away. Certainly some do, but I don't, I generally keep them on the disc if they come with one, but I've never made a decision on whether or not to purchase a movie based on whether or not it had a slipcover. That said, I had no idea people collected them, and if someone wanted to pay more for my slipcovers than I paid for the movie, I'd gladly part with all of them.

If there are more people like me (and I would assume that there are), and these people realize what some people are paying for slipcovers on the secondary market, the market could very well become flooded at some point, driving down the value.
Old 06-04-12, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I don't know that the majority throw them away. Certainly some do, but I don't, I generally keep them on the disc if they come with one, but I've never made a decision on whether or not to purchase a movie based on whether or not it had a slipcover. That said, I had no idea people collected them, and if someone wanted to pay more for my slipcovers than I paid for the movie, I'd gladly part with all of them.
Try eBay. I'm pretty sure there are buyers that would pay ridiculous amount of cash for one single slipcover or a lot of slipcovers.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
If there are more people like me (and I would assume that there are), and these people realize what some people are paying for slipcovers on the secondary market, the market could very well become flooded at some point, driving down the value.
I'm hoping that will happen. It's crazy for someone to buy a piece of cardboard for $300.
Old 06-15-12, 08:05 PM

My latest Uni haul!!!

Old 07-02-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you display/store your collection?
Old 07-02-12, 02:19 PM

I don't have no problem with people collection slip covers, or buying them on eBay its their money they have the right to buy them. As far as for me go personally, Im not to crazy with slip covers, but if i buy a Blu ray and it comes with the slip cover great, if it doesn't oh well no biggie. Also when i'm buying a movie and if i see the movie has the slip cover, and the movie brand new and if i see the same movie for a lower price used and it does not have a slip cover, I take the used one. I have also heard and read that there even people that buy a movie it does not have a slip cover but later on they find that same movie with the slip they go and purchase it and then return the one that does not have the slip lol
Old 07-17-12, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
How do you display/store your collection?
I display my slipcovers on the shelf with my blu-ray collection.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.