Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones: Season 1

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Game of Thrones: Season 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones: Season 1

I posted this in the tv talk GoT thread.. HBO free weekend is going on Dish Net(not sure about directTV) and the GoT premier is this weekend.
Old 04-01-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made contact with HBO regarding this, all I got in response was "mail us the defective item and we'll replace it".
Old 04-01-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Made contact with HBO regarding this, all I got in response was "mail us the defective item and we'll replace it".
what more did you expect? .... delivery of a new one by a raven?!
Old 04-01-12, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
what more did you expect? .... delivery of a new one by a raven?!
It sounds like he was wondering if there are, in fact, real issues with the discs.

He wasn't necessarily asking for replacements.
Old 04-01-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is, based upon no research whatsoever, that there's no defect, just slower load times on some players. I can't speak for anyone else, but although my load times were bad, I wouldn't consider it defective. Make sure your firmware is up to date of course.
Old 04-07-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know if the same thing happened with Boardwalk Empire?
Old 04-07-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

No problems on my PS3, and the load times aren't any slower than most blu-rays.
Old 06-14-12, 08:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For those of you who have Season 1, it may end up being a collector's item. I find this shit amusing as hell.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...es-sparks-ire/

Fake Head of George Bush in ‘Game of Thrones’ Sparks Ire
It seems some members of the Republican Party aren’t fans of the Lannisters, either.

Members of the GOP are fuming and HBO has issued an apology after realizing that the creators of “Game of Thrones” used a faux severed replica of former President George W. Bush’s head mounted on a stake in a number of scenes in the hit series.

The fake head, which series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss reveal in the show’s DVD commentary to be a replica of George W. Bush’s head, is seen in the final episode of the first season.

“People may not have noticed this but … the last head on the left is George Bush,” Benioff and Weiss explain on the DVD commentary track. “George Bush’s head appears in a couple of beheading scenes.”

In the scene, the teenage King Joffrey Baratheon, then under the influence of his wicked mother Cersei Lannister after they’ve seized the throne, shows Sansa Stark a row of heads of traitors to his cause, which have been mounted on pikes.

One of the heads belongs to the girl’s father, Ned Stark. And sitting right there alongside him, donning a long brown wig, is the head of the former president.

“It’s not a choice. It’s not a political statement. It’s just…we had to use what heads we had lying around,” Benioff and Weiss added.

The scene has upset members of the GOP, including Craig Eaton, chairman of the Brooklyn Republican Party, who told the MailOnline that he thinks “it’s despicable.”

“As a country, Democrats, Republicans, we have to have respect for the office and the individuals. Once we lose that respect, the United States looks weak,” he said.

HBO rushed to release a statement late Wednesday upon learning the news, calling the use of the Bush bust “unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste.”

“We made this clear to the executive producers of the series who apologized immediately for this inadvertent careless mistake.”

The network said, adding, “Sorry this happened and will have it [the scene] removed from any future DVD production.”

Last edited by E Unit; 06-14-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 08:59 AM

The scene is a pretty important one (I didn't expect the article to have such a major spoiler, they seemed to tip-toe around it at first) so I'm guessing they'll either remove a few frames or alter them digitally?
Old 06-14-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

So which will be more exclusive, the original S1 disc or the Best Buy slipcovers? Answer quickly, please. I'm asking for a friend.
Old 06-14-12, 09:27 AM
Banned by request

Perhaps both together?
Old 06-14-12, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh FFS you can't even tell unless it's explicitly pointed out. Streisand effect!
Old 06-14-12, 09:31 AM

I say unless the packaging is in any way different (different UPC code, which is pretty unlikely) only the disc itself might be valued more, if at all.

Maybe the set with the BB slipcover would as well, assuming they only offered that for the first pressing of the release.
Old 06-14-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
So which will be more exclusive, the original S1 disc or the Best Buy slipcovers? Answer quickly, please. I'm asking for a friend.
Well, clearly the Best Buy slipcover. They're not going to do a massive recall and burn all of the first discs. Even if they did, that wouldn't change the fact that there are fewer Best Buy slipcovers in existence than sets that came with disc one.
Old 06-14-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
For those of you who have Season 1, it may end up being a collector's item.
I seriously doubt that - there's literally millions of copies of it out there already.
Old 06-14-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL at this whole thing.

I bet they also cut the commentary out of the re-release as it is where confirmation of the whole thing comes from. Then a little use of the duplicate tool to delete the head in question, done deal.

But yeah, this is not going to be a hard recall from the sound of it... and there are already several million copies sitting on shelves. Not a collector's item. Perhaps if this had been found before release that would be the case.

It's just bad news when it gets updated to whatever next format there is. I'm also wondering if they'll switch out copies in digital distribution as well that people have already purchased (guessing they will)
Old 06-14-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

“It’s not a choice. It’s not a political statement. It’s just…we had to use what heads we had lying around,” Benioff and Weiss added.

I buy the fact that there was no real interpretive political agenda behind using it, but I don't buy that it was just a head they used because it was lying around.
Old 06-14-12, 11:24 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by slop101
I seriously doubt that - there's literally millions of copies of it out there already.
I'm guessing BILLIONS! I know, I doubt it as well, I was saying it in jest. But you how collectors and people react to slilliness like this. My guess is that copies will actually start to sell faster just to get them before the changes are shipped out. Or maybe not.
Old 06-14-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 06-14-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

This news is so funny that it might actually get me to watch the show.
Old 06-14-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So does this mean HBO will also be digitally removing all the horses they killed on the DVD/Blu-ray versions of LUCK?
Old 06-14-12, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
So does this mean HBO will also be digitally removing all the horses they killed on the DVD/Blu-ray versions of LUCK?
I guess if they do, a show about horses will suddenly feature no horses at all...
Old 06-14-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
clearly They are starting first with the asses
Old 06-15-12, 04:24 PM

So it appears that HBO has begun the purge...

"Today HBO has pulled the episode from all digital platforms and is recalling shipments of the DVD/Blu box sets. I'm assuming they'll be re-editing the episode, or digitally replacing Bush with Chester A Arthur or something." [badassdigest.com]

Seven Hells!!
Old 06-15-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Bestbuy & Target Exclusive will now be $1000! LOL

Expect "Collectability" and "Demand" SOAR UP with these exclusives

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.