Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

The opening sequence of Guardians 2 is outstanding looking. And, such a fun ass way to start a film...
Old 08-27-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny (not) how GOTG 2 3D is next to impossible to find in BB stores, although I did find copies available online in three stores... provided I want to drive 400 miles round trip because they won't ship it to me or even store-to-store.

Yet there's no dearth of copies available on Ebay. Where I can expect to pay at least twice as much as BB's listed price... depending on the unlikely chance my bid makes it.

There's something wrong here. As far as I can ascertain, even though there is rack space set aside for them, copies of BB's exclusive Guardians 2 didn't make it into stores. At least not in any of the Phoenix metropolitan area stores I checked out. Unless only one or two copies are being sent to each store and bought before most employees are even aware of them arriving... which wouldn't surprise me.

If Disney and BB are going to continue this "exclusive to BB" BS with 3D releases, they really need to start going with a one per customer limit.

This is especially irksome when (as a life-long Disney fan, long-time DMC member, and theme park Annual Passholder) I see Disney slap U.S. customer loyalty in the face by not even offering a 3D title through the Disney Movie Club and, when (if) they do, it's at a full MSR price... that their "exclusive" partner doesn't even charge their customers.

Between this and BB continually reducing their media inventory, it's like they don't even want our money.

End rant.
Old 08-27-17, 10:20 AM

there really not that bad on eBay. one was BIN for $37.99 and free ship. only $3 more than BB. i expected more...
Old 08-27-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

3-D is another reason why I am glad I have a multi-region player. Much cheaper to get the UK versions of titles such as Dr Strange and GOTG 2
Old 08-27-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
there really not that bad on eBay. one was BIN for $37.99 and free ship. only $3 more than BB. i expected more...
I imagine that one was stolen.
Old 08-29-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
3-D is another reason why I am glad I have a multi-region player. Much cheaper to get the UK versions of titles such as Dr Strange and GOTG 2
Seconded. I don't even bother with this "exclusive" shit anymore when it comes to 3D (and anything else for that matter), especially when they're in tins that hold little interest. Can't wait to buy the U.K. edition . . . whenever I feel like it.
Old 08-30-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Most of Disney's 3D Blu-Rays have been region-free anyways, but still good to have an all-region player. Nobody knows if the 3D version of T2 will be all-region or not, but I've got it ordered as that doesn't matter to me.
Old 08-30-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
If it didn't include the 4k, I wouldn't have bothered and sought an import instead. The 4k inclusion made the package attractive to me.

I made sure to preorder as soon as I could. I didn't want to risk it considering how scarce the Doctor Strange 3D release became.
Old 08-30-17, 09:35 PM

Eh, I see no real reason to go region free. I did it with DVDs bc there were ones I could only get from other regions. OldBoy included. It was little used except as an extra player. But, don't see the need with blus. Like someone mentioned, Disney's are region free...
Old 08-31-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There seems to be more region free titles on Blu-ray than DVD, so there seems to be less of a reason to go region free. I'm lucky that my Panasonic is able to circumvent most region coding through the menu trick.
Old 08-31-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Panasonic menu trick?
Old 09-01-17, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Eh, I see no real reason to go region free. I did it with DVDs bc there were ones I could only get from other regions. OldBoy included. It was little used except as an extra player. But, don't see the need with blus. Like someone mentioned, Disney's are region free...
Well remember this is a 3D thread. Disney isn't the only one releasing 3Ds elsewhere but not here, and not all (most?) other releases are not region free. Plus it's real hit-or-miss on whether any particular studio is going to release any particular title region free. Some release some titles without region restrictions, but not other titles. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm seriously thinking about a region free player because I can foresee the time coming real soon where many, if not most, 3D titles simply won't get a home released in the U.S., but will be available elsewhere.
Old 09-01-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by b2net
Panasonic menu trick?
I have a regular store bought Panasonic. When I put in a Blu-ray from another region, the disc will pull up a screen telling me incorrect region. I then hit stop on my remote and then hit the menu button (probably title menu). For most discs that I've tried this with, it will then go to the actual disc menu. From there, you can obviously just play the movie or select any other menu option.

This trick has worked on all region locked Arrow releases as well as my import of The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, which I believe was Masters of Cinema, as well as some others. It hasn't worked on every disc, but I use my computer's Blu-ray drive for the few that haven't worked.
Old 09-01-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks...
Old 09-06-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Most of Disney's 3D Blu-Rays have been region-free anyways, but still good to have an all-region player. Nobody knows if the 3D version of T2 will be all-region or not, but I've got it ordered as that doesn't matter to me.
Worth noting here that a few of the Amazon UK user reviews for Guardians 2 confirm (not surprisingly) that it's region free.

Also worth noting that Terminartor 2 3D pre-order has dropped to £16.41 shipped (approx. $21.42 US / $26.57 CDN)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073XNQQFM/
Old 09-06-17, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
Worth noting here that a few of the Amazon UK user reviews for Guardians 2 confirm (not surprisingly) that it's region free.

Also worth noting that Terminartor 2 3D pre-order has dropped to £16.41 shipped (approx. $21.42 US / $26.57 CDN)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073XNQQFM/
is T2 3D region free?
Old 09-09-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gun Fury (1953) is up for pre-order at Twilight Time Movies. I believe this is the first 50's 3D Western to receive a proper 3D release on BD.

Old 09-10-17, 06:31 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2...The 3D is excellent. The depth is really good. Yondu and Rocket's breakout scene on the ship was especially great in 3D.
Old 09-10-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just received GotG 2 from Zavvi, along with two of the three other 3D films I ordered. Also received Disney's Beauty and the Beast live-action and Resident Evil the Final Chapter. Waiting on Underworld Blood Wars. What's a bit odd is GotG 2 was a pre-order while the others were in stock. A bit odd, too, is that they've sent each of them separately.

When I opened the mailer with Resident Evil, I realized that somehow or another I screwed up and ordered the 4K version instead of the 3D. So now I have to deal not just with returning something, but having the extra involvement of dealing with an overseas retailer as well. Hoping for a straight up exchange since they were both the same price. Expect there'll be some sort of restocking fee or something. Live and learn. Next order, I'll be way more careful.

Debating myself about whether to give GotG 2 to my son for Christmas (he has the first one). I mean I really should check it out to make sure it works, right? That we got it undamaged, right? But... if I give it to him already opened, that would seem a bit crass.

Yeah... might be best if I kept it.
Old 09-11-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I missed out on getting Dr. Strange when it was released through Best Buy, what are my options to get it outside of ebay?
Old 09-11-17, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
I missed out on getting Dr. Strange when it was released through Best Buy, what are my options to get it outside of ebay?
go to Cumberbatch's house and hope that he shits one out...
Old 09-11-17, 12:51 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazon UK. It's region-free.
Old 09-11-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Amazon UK. It's region-free.
Yeah, the US version is out of print, but you can get the UK version:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvels-Doc...dp/B01M68CGH2/

You're not going to get the digital copy that came in the US copy though.
Old 09-11-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Disney Movie Club still has stock. It's technically not available as an enrollment title, but purchasing it will count as one of your two fulfillment titles, if you sign up for a membership.
Old 09-11-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Now that I think about it, Doctor Strange 3D wasn't a Best-Buy exclusive; it was available at a number of retailers.

Target had their own version with exclusive digital bonus content. Some stores may still have it in stock:
https://www.target.com/p/marvel-s-do...l/-/A-52113688

From my recollection, the only Best Buy Disney 3D exclusives so far have been Rogue One and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.