Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 06:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 3D in Monster Hunter was good, can’t imagine watching it flat.
good as in top tier or what?
Old 11-24-21, 09:25 PM

I should get MH next week considering Koch Dune 4K took 4 days total.
Old 11-26-21, 07:06 PM

Anyone get Flesh for Frankenstein? Any good?
Old 11-26-21, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

It’s on order. Some good effects- I have a field-sequential VHS of it.
Old 11-27-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I can also confirm that this is incorrect since my 3d TV is 4k and can do HDR.
I did not make up the story but it's hard finding decade old magazine articles, sometimes. The TV mentioned earlier was an OLED and might have been an attempt before giving up. The review even mentions it not being as bright as a negative. Regardless, it's regrettable they could not have worked it out and kept the format. I'm holding onto my Panasonic plasma with a death grip. Found a source for the electronics that I'm told are what typically die out.
Old 11-27-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I did not make up the story but it's hard finding decade old magazine articles, sometimes.
You may not have made it up, but it's very likely you're misremembering, or the article itself was simply wrong. LG released 4K OLED TVs with passive 3D. I know, because I own one.

Here's an article making the reverse argument: that 4K OLED passive is the best 3D TV option:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...-those-pixels/
...And numerous TVs are available with 3D capability -- and include the requisite glasses -- to handle playing those movies in the home. Until now, however, they all demanded severe picture quality sacrifices when you donned the glasses.That is, until 4K resolution TVs with passive 3D came along. I just finished reviewing my first one, Toshiba's 65L9300U, and it delivered the cleanest, most artifact-free 3D image of any TV I've had in the lab....

The first thing I said to myself when I compared the 60-inch passive 3D Vizio, which has 1080p resolution, with the 65-inch passive 3D Toshiba, which has 4K, was "wow." The line structure, jagged edges, and related artifacts I've come to associate with passive 3D in 1080p -- for example, along the edges of the words "Paramount," "infinitum nihil" and "GK films" at the beginning of "Hugo" -- were gone from the Toshiba, leaving clean, smooth 3D. Even the graphical elements of my PS3's display looked better....

In fact, since the Toshiba doesn't suffer nearly as much crosstalk as those two (or any active 3D set we've tested), it seemed even sharper...

So there you have it. If you're one of the rare people who care enough about 3D picture quality to factor it into your buying decision, be sure to audition a 4K resolution TV with passive 3D. It's a visual treat.

https://www.techradar.com/news/4k-tv...hat-went-wrong
But passive 3D at 4K resolution could have been the ideal home 3D TV solution. With 2160 vertical lines to work with, even when halved to 1080 lines the 3D image would still look fantastically sharp, whilst retaining the advantages of passive 3D TV. LG created a few such sets, such as the LG OLED65E6V.

Unfortunately, few people got to experience this, as most manufacturers ended support for 3D TV when phasing in support for 4K.
Here's what LG said the year they removed 3D from their OLED sets:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1484640539
As said, 3D has been removed but that decision was not driven by engineering concerns. It has not affected the pixel layout or brightness in any significant way. 3D is just no longer a big selling point, says LG.
Old 11-29-21, 12:54 PM

But motion smoothing is a big selling point…
Old 12-04-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

Dune 3D USA Amazon $27.99 1/11/22

Amazon Amazon

I used the Locker pickup promo to get $10 off

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Copied & pasted from SD with slight modifications:

Place an Order for Amazon Hub Pickup, Get $10 Off $20+ Orders w/ promo code 10PICKUPCODE.

Note, not all Amazon customers will be eligible for this promo.

Instructions:
Check this promo page to see if you are eligible for this offer:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=hub_mkt...de=23673280011

Set your Amazon Hub Pickup location from here:

https://www.amazon.com/ulp/pickup-po...s_inc_lp2ls_01

by selecting your desired location clicking on "Add to address book"

Shop for Eligible Products sold by Amazon.com or Amazon.com Services LLC
Note: Some exclusions may apply.

Add your item(s) to your cart and continue to checkout.
At checkout change your Delivery Address to your previously selected Amazon Hub Pickup location
Once changed, apply promotion code 10PICKUPCODE.
You should see a discount applied to your order for up to $10 Off your total purchase of $20 or more.
Complete checkout

Terms:
This offer is available to you the first time you use a pickup location before December 31st and is limited to the first 30,000 eligible customers on select products.
Promotional code only applies to items shipped to an Amazon Hub (Locker, Counter, Locker+ or Apartment Locker).
Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com or Amazon.com Services LLC (look for "sold by Amazon.com" or "sold by Amazon.com Services LLC " on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
Offer good while supplies last.
Offer does not apply to digital content.
Offer limited to one per customer and account.
The following 2 users liked this post by IDrinkMolson:
Jay G. (12-04-21), Trevor (12-05-21)
Old 12-06-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just had a Mila back to back 3D session - Monster Hunter and Resident Evil Final Chapter. Both movies were terrible in terms of script and plot but 3D definitely made them better. I would say both were about average in terms of 3D quality. Likely will not revisit either.
Old 12-06-21, 06:41 PM

I didn’t like Final Chapter either. I’m more hopeful for Monster Hunter. I know it’s a dumb B movie from the wonder twins, but would seem to lend itself to. Would Mila work if not for being married to Anderson? I know Besson used her, but she barely spoke. Just gyrated. Which is fine. She was hot in Fifth Element. Most movies actually. Just most her movies begin and end with Resident Evil and forgettable suck.
Old 12-08-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Happy to report the REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN disc nicely lived up to my memory of seeing it at the Royal in Toronto a couple of decades ago as part of Kung-Fu Fridays. As usual, the 3D archive did a fantastic job with what had to be difficult elements. Color consistency is a little wonky in some scenes, often from one shot to the next, and the overall film – like so many Taiwanese martial arts shows of the 70's/80's – has such an abundance of neutral, drab earth tones throughout the sets and landscapes that you think might be faded film until you see green reeds poking out from all the dead brown ones, or bright pink, blue or green period costumes on many of the female extras within these backdrops. The story is what it is – women raped by bandits becoming nuns, as per custom, later sheltering the nearby townspeople and taking on the returning hordes with the help of a kindly doctor who's figured out the formula for explosives – but the 3D is a blast, with a wide variety of classical weapons thrusting into the room (with exceptional convergence, or whatever it's called) in a respectable number of fight scenes (not to mention the breasts that I mentioned way, way back in this thread appearing very, umm, well-rounded even if they're not dangling onto your coffee table, or as plentiful as I remembered). The choreography, not unexpectedly, is typical, rather orderly fwap-swish-fwap stuff of the era, so the 3D really helps. This disc contains only the English dub with a new (at the time), Carpetner-esque music score, not bad as such but both make me curious to see the film in its original Mandarin with presumably more-appropriate music, but that will never happen. This is a solid companion disc to Kino's earlier DYNASTY release.

The three bonus shorts also show 3D Film Archive's prowess at resuscitating materials that were on the edge of oblivion, although I wish more information about them was provide via introductory text-screens of some kind. They're all pretty low-brow: COLLEGE CAPERS has the best production values, and based on Dolores Fuller's instructions to the audience to put the red lens over their left eye, I assume this might have only been shown in anaglyphic format prior to this Blu-ray, so that's cool. It also has the best production value and performances, despite the vaudevillian 'panty raid' plot. PERSIAN SLAVE MARKET has three burlesque dancers doing very basic strip routines in front of a static camera, possibly going down to topless but the blown-out contrast on the surviving elements makes it difficult to tell. At first, TWO GUYS FROM TICK RIDGE seems to be some kind of promo short for "Optivision 3D" (credited to Pacific Film Industries) with movie producer "Harry" (played by editor C. David Graydon) showing his hick pal Wally from back home in Tick Ridge (Tom Latimer, but voiced by the instantly-recognizable Hoke Howell) footage from his newest production, which is actually an assemblage of random 3D clips (magician, bikini girl blowing bubbles, skiers, aerial shots of LA) some of which are clearly flubbed outtakes (like Jack Lalanne's step-daughter Janet swinging from rings at the beach and continually requiring assistance). None of the shorts are particularly memorable, but it's great to have them preserved. Hopefully the Archive has more like them in the pipeline, because there's a ton of them out there that haven't been seen in decades.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (12-12-21)
Old 12-08-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
The three bonus shorts also show 3D Film Archive's prowess at resuscitating materials that were on the edge of oblivion, although I wish more information about them was provide via introductory text-screens of some kind. They're all pretty low-brow: COLLEGE CAPERS has the best production values, and based on Dolores Fuller's instructions to the audience to put the red lens over their left eye, I assume this might have only been shown in anaglyphic format prior to this Blu-ray, so that's cool.
Not only was it previously only shown in anaglyphic format, the original negatives were lost, and all that existed was an anaglyphic print, so they had to work in reverse from that print to recreate the original right & left images for this Blu-ray. It's impressive work.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3175864
Old 12-09-21, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks for that! Even as I was watching it I had vague memories of them posting pictures of the work somewhere, but figured they put them on social media and didn't want to bother hunting. Should've remembered it was a Kickstarter update, considering I actually kept track of the progress all those months!

Last edited by Brian T; 12-11-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 06:19 PM

Got Black Widow and Monster Hunter within a day apart. Popping in MH tomorrow. We’ll see about when BW will show her face.
sparks (12-15-21)
Old 12-19-21, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone know if we’ll get Eternals 3D Blu-ray. And Spider-Man: No Way Home. I know latter is early but you never know…
No, nobody knows. There's no industry insiders here, and even if there were, they probably wouldn't risk their jobs just to leak a Blu-ray 3D title early.

You don't need to ask, nobody's withholding information here because OldBoy hasn't asked yet. When it's actually known via announcement or news on some other site, someone's likely to post here about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
T-bone22 (01-04-22), William Fuld (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know Jay. I love all the help you give me. Truly I do, but sometimes you give me these posts that are nasty and uncalled for.
That was remarkably civil; you have not seen me be nasty. And I felt it was called for because your posts sometimes drive me up the wall with your staggering unwillingness to educate yourself and learn from experience, and the lack of respect you treat others on this forum with your unreasonable questions.

We're not your dancing monkeys, your information tube to call upon whenever you have a question. We're not Siri. We're a community of people with similar interests, and for the most part, the same level of access to information. And yet you act like you're owed information, and we're obligated to supply it, such as when you ask a question, get no response, then ask again. If nobody answers one of your questions the first time, it's either because nobody knows, or nobody is inclined to answer it. Either way, nobody here owes you an answer.

When I've been helpful to you in the past, it's often me not knowing the answer when I read your question, but then I go and look it up, via this thing called the internet. Sometimes it's because I'm feeling helpful, sometimes it's because I want to know the answer myself, and figure I might as well share what I learn. Sometimes, as when you're nagging, it's just to shut you up, but then I'm encouraging the bad behavior.

I've bit my tongue many, many, many, many more times than I've called you out, especially since whenever I call you out it doesn't seem to amount to anything. You don't learn anything from them. If I've hurt your feelings, I apologize, but my goal isn't to hurt you, but try and wake you up to the realities of the world, some you seem to seem stubbornly resistant to acknowledge. If you don't like hurt feelings, then you should know how incredibly angry your posts sometimes make me, due to how much it seems like you're taking myself and others here for granted, to be called upon to retrieve the information you're too lazy to find yourself or to provide info anyone with an understanding of this forum and its members would have zero reason to expect.

Like, what, in your years of experience on this forum, thought that what you asked was a reasonable question someone on this forum would know and be able to answer?

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-20-21 at 09:33 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jay G.:
clckworang (12-22-21), T-bone22 (01-04-22), The Cow (12-20-21), TomOpus (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always appreciate everyone’s help. Everyone and I make it known. I go to one site usually. This. Shoot me, I’m one of the remaining lovers of forums. Some seem to mind, some care less. I’m always appreciative. I don’t use anyone, exploit for personal gratification. Sometimes, when I’m home, I relax and don’t always want to use head since I use all day. I never, ever intend to bother anyone. Never. Believe what you will, but that’s my thoughts.
I'm not saying you're intentionally doing it, but you're definitely conveying that impression some times, and it definitely wears at my patience. Perhaps my patience was a bit thin already the other day when I replied, but you weren't the straw breaking the camel's back so much as the 5 lb bale of hay. I can tolerated it most days, but not always, and my normal civility likely doesn't convey to you how often you can be annoying, as you're not hearing my deep sighs or seeing my eyes role before I respond.

As for "don’t always want to use head since I use all day," if that's the case, maybe you should do something more conducive to "brainless" participation, like watching a simple TV show or movie, or playing a video game, in those circumstances. Why do you think it's ok to come onto this forum and subject us to your brainless thoughts and questions? Why aren't you embarrassed you're presenting a known poor version of yourself to others, wasting their time and frustrating them?

To your question…preorders are up, though early for Spider-Man. Thought maybe someone found a preorder for either already since all Marvel has had some 3D somewhere in world. That’s all. I checked Amazon.uk. And then I asked. Sorry!
I honestly don't know if you haven't figured this out on your own or not, but blu-ray.com has an incredibly thorough and up-to-date catalog of Blu-ray titles, even international ones, and pre-orders.

If you want to see if there's a 3D Blu-ray listing for a movie anywhere in the world, click on the "3D" over the search bar at the top, then click on the right side of the search bar and select "All countries." You can then search a movie title:

Or, you know, wait until someone posts about them here. People tend to be fast when news of a new 3D release arises. People in this thread want to talk about 3D Blu-rays.
clckworang (12-22-21)
Old 12-22-21, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

People have very often complained that Oldboy uses this community as his own personal Google. He has never seemed to care.
The following 3 users liked this post by clckworang:
Jay G. (12-23-21), Josh Z (12-22-21), T-bone22 (01-04-22)
Old 12-22-21, 06:10 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Jay gave excellent and kind advice that reflects a lot of truth. Whether you want to listen to it or not is up to you. But when people tell you they're tired of the way they feel treated by you and you write, and then delete, that you don't care, that's very unfortunate.

Last edited by story; 12-22-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-22-21, 06:25 PM

Enough. Please delete all posts, including mine that have nothing to do with this thread. Sorry. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-21, 06:39 PM

Done. But, not entire point.
Old 12-22-21, 08:37 PM

Anyone have Resident Evil: Final Chapter? Looks like it got good remarks. And $8 for 2D/3D combo in Vudu. No brainer seems. Good presentation?
Old 12-22-21, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Anyone have Resident Evil: Final Chapter? Looks like it got good remarks. And $8 for 2D/3D combo in Vudu. No brainer seems. Good presentation?
sigh........
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Just had a Mila back to back 3D session - Monster Hunter and Resident Evil Final Chapter. Both movies were terrible in terms of script and plot but 3D definitely made them better. I would say both were about average in terms of 3D quality. Likely will not revisit either.
I didn’t like Final Chapter either. I’m more hopeful for Monster Hunter. I know it’s a dumb B movie from the wonder twins, but would seem to lend itself to. Would Mila work if not for being married to Anderson? I know Besson used her, but she barely spoke. Just gyrated. Which is fine. She was hot in Fifth Element. Most movies actually. Just most her movies begin and end with Resident Evil and forgettable suck.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Cow:
Jay G. (12-23-21), OldBoy (12-22-21)
Old 12-23-21, 12:06 PM

There WILL be another Japanese "MovieNEX" edition for The Eternals, with 3D Blu-Ray and glorified 2D 4K. Would rather just go down to Target on release date and buy it, but better than nothing. Still need to find time to watch the whole Marvel series in order.
Old 12-23-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon.jp link for the Japanese UHD/3D Eternals, although those outside Japan can't pre-order:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%82.../dp/B09N9DCSYB

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.