Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Old 05-18-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Not sure if others have chimed in on this one, but I thought the 3D on AQUAMAN was beyond fantastic. No way was that movie made with 3D treated as some kind of afterthought. The depth effects are phenomenal, especially with so much detail in those underwater worlds and battle scenes, and plenty of thrust-at-the-camera tridents, to boot. I popped in the 2D disc for the extras and skimmed through the film and it was almost painful to watch in ‘flat’ mode. Really looked like a dull ‘one eye’ version or whatever the term is, like you were missing something. Heavily detailed scenes suddenly felt like visual overkill where they don’t in 3D thanks to the expert separation effects, while closeups with solid watery backgrounds just looked ... odd. Certainly not some classic, but it’s a great time in 3D.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-18-19 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I mentioned that in the Aquaman thread. It's a fantastic disc.
Old 05-21-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like we are getting another 4K + 3D + Blu Ray combo with Alita Battle Angel on July 23rd. Nice to see these pop up from time to time.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-21-19, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
It looks like we are getting another 4K + 3D + Blu Ray combo with Alita Battle Angel on July 23rd. Nice to see these pop up from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/Alita-Battle-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
only $50. not too bad
Old 05-21-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The steelbook is $35 at Best Buy. That's the version I bought.
Old 05-21-19, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
The steelbook is $35 at Best Buy. That's the version I bought.
Hell yeah. Got pick up too which sometimes you can’t get until release day. Or certain early windows. Guess I was in the window. Thanks matty. Nice looking one too.
Old 05-21-19, 10:02 PM

I just hope the 3D is real good. There have been good, but only one I’ve thought and just my personal opinion that was great was the current Ghostbusters on Blu 3D. That caught me by surprise. Drive Angry, I thought was very good too. Didn’t even think Avatar was that spectacular but I need to see again on my current setup. Theater best I’ve ever seen, but first time on weaker setup at home wasn’t grandiose like I thought it would be...
Old 05-22-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Aladdin is already up for pre-order in the UK.
Old 06-01-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

New Kickstarter campaign from the 3-D Film Archive. Nearly one-sixth funded after the first few hours :

Help Restore Mexico's First 3-D Movie

In 2016, nonprofit 3-D SPACE and the 3-D Film Archive, with the help of over 300 Kickstarter backers, successfully rescued and restored the 3-D feature film September Storm. Now we're teaming up again, and we need your help to save another "lost" 3-D movie!

In preparing materials for the upcoming 3-D Rarities Vol. II Blu-Ray release from Flicker Alley, the 3-D Film Archive has been given the opportunity to include the rarely seen 1954 feature motion picture El Corazón y la Espada, historically notable as the first 3-D movie produced in Mexico. Starring Cesar Romero (The Thin Man; Captain From Castile; Batman) and Katy Jurado (High Noon; Broken Lance), the film is a period costume drama full of action, intrigue, and romance.

El Corazón y la Espada was filmed in 1953, during the peak of the 3-D movie craze, and was released in the red/blue anaglyph format in Mexican theaters in January of 1954, followed by a limited 3-D release to Spanish language theaters in the U.S. beginning in February, 1954. Two years later, a 2-D English language version was released in the U.S., retitled Sword Of Granada. The Spanish 3-D version was last screened in 1955 and the flat English version only aired sporadically on TV. After 1975, it disappeared entirely.

The original 3-D left and right camera negatives have been located, but are in rough shape and have been deteriorating, so will need a lot of work to make the film watchable again. With your support, the 3-D Film Archive will be able to:
  • Produce new 4K scans from the original camera negatives
  • Perform frame-by-frame restoration, stereoscopic alignment, dirt removal, and scratch cleanup
  • License the English audio track from Sword Of Granada, and create English sub-titles
  • Include the entire feature film (for the first time ever in discreet left and right 3-D) with commentary on the 3-D Rarities Vol. II Blu-Ray
Backers who order the Blu-ray through this campaign will receive the complete 3-D Rarities Vol. II including this feature film, all of the additional 3-D shorts, still images, and other bonus extras that will be a part of this Blu-ray collection.

Please make a pledge to save this historic movie.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-la-espada1953

Last edited by Brian T; 06-01-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 04:34 AM

I'll do the $100 level in a few weeks. Regret not contributing to the September Storm one, but that made its goal anyway despite the lack of demand for 3D. This one's a bit more obscure, so we'll see if it can do the same. Wish someone would do a Kickstarter to make more 3D-capable displays or some sort of add-on for normal ones.
Old 06-02-19, 07:51 PM

i'm looking forward to getting How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World in 3D. have the other 2 and they were just phenomenal in 3D and movie...
Old 06-03-19, 01:16 PM

Have that on order from the UK, it’s especially depressing that this only got a 2D release in the US considering it’s part of a signature 3D series.
Old 06-03-19, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Have that on order from the UK, it’s especially depressing that this only got a 2D release in the US considering it’s part of a signature 3D series.
yeah, i thought i got the first 2 here. shame, indeed...