Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Got it but haven’t watched it. Ready Player One was shipped this week, I’ll watch that one right away.
Old 07-20-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Pretty sleazy how Warner and Amazon are handling the 3D releases of RAMPAGE and READY PLAYER ONE (and maybe others I haven't noticed?). A basic search for either takes you to the stripped-down single-3D-disc-only listings (each with Digital Copy) which are jacked up to $48.99! I'm aware that there's a listing for a 2-disc 3D+2D+Digital combo for RAMPAGE (which doesn't even include a photo), but I haven't seen one for RPO except at Amazon UK and Canada.

I generally prefer U.S. discs to Canadian releases due to the lack of bilingual packaging but in the case of the Warner 3D titles I'm ok with the Canadian releases, which are usually priced a bit better when factoring in exchange rates (i.e. $29 CDN vs $29 US+exchange) and at least are more likely to include the 2D disc and its bonus features.
Old 07-20-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why I think most people have been going with Target and Walmart. They are the full versions and usually much cheaper.

https://www.target.com/p/ready-playe...-/-/A-53754177

https://www.target.com/p/rampage-3d-...y/-/A-53791377

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rampage-3...ital/798661296

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ready-Pla...Copy/210506020
Old 07-20-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

RPO now available at Best Buy again for pre-order....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ready-p...wnerLastName=&
Old 07-20-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pre-ordered Ready Player One last night from AmazonUK for $26.80 including shipping.

Why buy U.S.?
Old 07-22-18, 02:26 AM

Ready Player One came early- didn’t completely blow me away, but still fun. A bit miffed that they only included Atmos on the 2D version, but my receiver still handled the 5.1 mix pretty well with Neural X decoding.
Old 07-26-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In case this was missed.... I already own all of these but still a pretty good deal if you want to own some great 3D titles.

Amazon.co.uk Amazon.co.uk
has select Marvel 3D Region Free Blu-Ray Movies on sale 2 for 18 GBP (British Pounds). Postage & Packing is 4.07 GBP (British Pounds) = 24.06 (British Pounds) or for a total of 2 3D Blu-Ray Movies for ~$30.27. Thanks HurricaneKid

Note, must purchase two qualifying 3D Blu-Ray from the selection shipped and sold by Amazon.co.uk

Example Qualifying Titles Example Qualifying Titles

Ant-Man (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Captain America: Civil War (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Captain America: First Avenger (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Doctor Strange (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Thor (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Thor: The Dark World (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Guardians of the Galaxy (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (3D Blu-Ray Region Free)
Old 07-26-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
Pre-ordered Ready Player One last night from AmazonUK for $26.80 including shipping.

Why buy U.S.?
I picked it up from Barnes and Noble for $25.50. Shipped yesterday and should arrive tomorrow.
Old 07-26-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today was a good day. Received Ready Player One 3D, Rampage 3D, and LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D in the mail!
Old 07-26-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I picked it up from Barnes and Noble for $25.50. Shipped yesterday and should arrive tomorrow.
Was that on sale? Did you have some coupon or online deal? Membership?

I ask because it's listed as a $34.99 pre-order on B&N's site.
I don't typically check B&N as their prices are normally as high or higher than Target, Walmart, etc. That's if you can actually find them at any of those sites. BB routinely lists 3D titles on their site, but it often turns out those titles are only available for instore pickup (and not actually available thru the BB website )... and not available at any store within 240 miles of my location (wherever I may be. ).

AmazonUK has become my go to site for 3D titles because they usually come in for less, even with the current currency exchange rate and shipping. And the rare times when they aren't less, at least those titles are available... unlike what is happening with greater frequency here in the U.S.
Old 07-27-18, 01:53 PM

I try to support US releases whenever possible. Heard people had trouble getting Ready Player One but mine actually came early!
Old 07-27-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
Was that on sale? Did you have some coupon or online deal? Membership?

I ask because it's listed as a $34.99 pre-order on B&N's site.
I don't typically check B&N as their prices are normally as high or higher than Target, Walmart, etc. That's if you can actually find them at any of those sites. BB routinely lists 3D titles on their site, but it often turns out those titles are only available for instore pickup (and not actually available thru the BB website )... and not available at any store within 240 miles of my location (wherever I may be. ).

AmazonUK has become my go to site for 3D titles because they usually come in for less, even with the current currency exchange rate and shipping. And the rare times when they aren't less, at least those titles are available... unlike what is happening with greater frequency here in the U.S.
It was $25 at preorder price. I ordered on Monday and got it Thursday. I only knew about it because of the other site. I thought there was a good chance it was going to be the 2D version. Thankfully it wasn't.
Old 07-27-18, 09:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i think i might get the digital 3D version. it's a little cheaper and i have the regular digital copy with all extras anyway, that i got at a decent price, so why not. same effect i'm sure...
Old 07-28-18, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i think i might get the digital 3D version. it's a little cheaper and i have the regular digital copy with all extras anyway, that i got at a decent price, so why not. same effect i'm sure...
would the 3D effects bought digitally be almost the same as a physical copy 3D version?
Old 07-28-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

would the 3D effects bought digitally be almost the same as a physical copy 3D version?
They use the same master and same basic principle (different image to each eye). They're not going to be customizing "3D effects" per platform.

That said, streaming is going to have a lower bitrate, which affects quality, and can have delayed/lost packets, which leads to artifacts. Same as for normal 2D streaming vs blu-ray really, but it may be more noticeable in 3D.

Also, you have to make sure you have an app/device that can stream in 3D from whatever service (Vudu?) you're buying the 3D version on. This may not be an issue now, but could become a problem if the service doesn't implement 3D on future platforms.

The digital code from my Blu-ray copy of Gamer 3D activated on Vudu to give me a 3D version there as well. You could get that film and do an A/B comparison.
Old 07-28-18, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They use the same master and same basic principle (different image to each eye). They're not going to be customizing "3D effects" per platform.

That said, streaming is going to have a lower bitrate, which affects quality, and can have delayed/lost packets, which leads to artifacts. Same as for normal 2D streaming vs blu-ray really, but it may be more noticeable in 3D.

Also, you have to make sure you have an app/device that can stream in 3D from whatever service (Vudu?) you're buying the 3D version on. This may not be an issue now, but could become a problem if the service doesn't implement 3D on future platforms.

The digital code from my Blu-ray copy of Gamer 3D activated on Vudu to give me a 3D version there as well. You could get that film and do an A/B comparison.
thanks Jay and thanks so much for making me take a look at my Gamer 3D Blu. i had the code and sure enough, did not redeem for 3D. just popped it in and wala! will check it out. thanks for explanation and the redemption of my absent code!
Old 07-28-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We just finished watching RPO. I thought the 3D was pretty damn good, especially while in the Oasis. Highly recommended.
Old 07-28-18, 05:17 PM

why wouldn't you be able to just buy the 3D version of RPO on Vudu? only in a 2D/3D bundle...
Old 07-28-18, 07:59 PM

All the 3D I’ve seen on Vudu has been horribly compressed.
Old 07-28-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

why wouldn't you be able to just buy the 3D version of RPO on Vudu? only in a 2D/3D bundle...
It makes a certain level of sense, since if you ever want to watch the movie on a device where 3D isn't available, or you just don't want to watch it in 3D for whatever reason, you'll also own the 2D version to watch. It's a bit like how most all 3D Blu-rays include the 2D version, either on the same disc or a separate one.

It's like my Gamer 3D listing won't let me play it on my PC, although on my phone it does allow watching the Hdx version.

It doesn't look to have affected the pricing any. It's still $19.99 for the "bundle" of two versions.
Old 07-28-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
All the 3D I’ve seen on Vudu has been horribly compressed.
I wonder if this is due to the bitrate they use. If they're using the same bitrate for 3D as for HDX, then the compression scheme has to use the same amount of space for two images (one for each eye). One would hope they'd use a higher bitrate.

Also, I wonder if the amount of compression artifacts isn't the same, but it's just more noticeable while watching a film in 3D.
Old 07-28-18, 09:39 PM

I just went for the digital 2D/3D bundle. Came to $11.99 with 25% and $3.00 coupon at Vudu. Easier and cheaper than physical. No brainer. Even if minor improvement with depth and such, pretty win situation...
Old 07-29-18, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
We just finished watching RPO. I thought the 3D was pretty damn good, especially while in the Oasis. Highly recommended.
Not to quibble or man-splain or anything negative, but Spielberg's intent was clearly to emphasize the 3D while in the Oasis and the "real world" scenes are intentionally flat. It seems like some people are not getting that it was intentional and are criticizing the lack of 3D in the "real world" scenes.
Old 07-29-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
Not to quibble or man-splain or anything negative, but Spielberg's intent was clearly to emphasize the 3D while in the Oasis and the "real world" scenes are intentionally flat. It seems like some people are not getting that it was intentional and are criticizing the lack of 3D in the "real world" scenes.
Ugh. Similar thing happened with Tron where people complained. I actually enjoyed the artistic concept of the changing depth.

I think they put a disclaimer for Tron to avoid misunderstanding.
Old 08-04-18, 03:27 PM

glad i got RP1. sounds like a winner in the 3D dept...http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ready-...207132/#Review

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.