Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Old 12-18-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Originally Posted by PerryD
GitS is back in stock again this morning.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ghost-i...?skuId=5803303
Checked that link out of curiosity (not expecting anything since I'd been checking it everyday) about two hours ago and it was now available online, although still not within 250 miles. Hit the buy button, went thru payment process, and got a online confirm number and ship-by date. No verification email yet, however.

Went thru almost the same thing a couple of weeks ago to order Kung Fu Panda 3 in 3D.

Don't usually do blind buys, but it's 3D. Son and I are 3D aficionados, and yet we both missed seeing this in a theater. It's supposed to ship by Dec 22, so it'll be a belated Christmas present for him.

Hopefully.
Old 12-19-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I had the strangest thing happen to me yesterday. I got home from work and there were four packages from Best Buy waiting for me. It was weird because I wasn't expecting anything and didn't receive shipping emails or delivery confirmations that they usually send out. So I opened them and they were the four 3D movies that I canceled and picked up in store. I went online and they are showing canceled and everything. But the packing slips have my name and everything on them. Has anyone else ran into this? I guess they will end up hitting my credit card anyways even though I canceled my order?
Old 12-27-17, 09:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Anyone get The Lego Ninjago Movie? Got bad reviews for movie, but great review on bluray.com. Any good overall presentation? Good 3D? Why so hard to find like they mention? Nothing on Amazon except 3rd parties, nothing at Best Buy?

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-27-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone get The Lego Ninjago Movie? Got bad reviews for movie, but great review on bluray.com. Any good overall presentation? Good 3D? Why so hard to find like they mention? Nothing on Amazon except 3rd parties, nothing at Best Buy?
anyone get this release?
Old 12-29-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $35? Hell no. I'll wait until next Black Friday when it's $10 like LEGO Batman was this Black Friday and The LEGO Movie the Black Friday before that.
Old 12-29-17, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
For $35? Hell no. I'll wait until next Black Friday when it's $10 like LEGO Batman was this Black Friday and The LEGO Movie the Black Friday before that.
did you see the movie?
Old 12-29-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, we watched the DVD tonight from the library.
Old 12-29-17, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yes, we watched the DVD tonight from the library.
And what did u think? I loved original and Batman was merely ok...
Old 12-30-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt the same about Batman and thought the jokes landed better in this movie. I just wish I knew (or even cared) a little more about Ninjago though.
Old 12-31-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I have it coming from Bullmoose, they took forever to ship it but finally got notice on Friday that it went out. With it being such a limited release like the past few Warner 3D titles, there's no chance in hell of finding this for $10 on Black Friday. I'm just glad Warner is still putting 3D out, though it sucks that they've left Atmos off of them.

I'll watch all 3 of the Lego movies in 3D once it gets here. Haven't watched the Batman one yet even though I bought it on release day.
Old 01-16-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you know 3D is dead when Amazon doesn't even bother carrying Blade Runner 2049 3D

Target doesn't have a listing either. It looks like it's available at a couple Best Buy locations near me though. And Walmart it's already sold out at Walmart.
Old 01-16-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Damn. I didn't realize the 3D of Blade Runner would be in such short supply. I was planning to wait for a price drop, but I might go ahead and pull the trigger since I have credit and it's available at the store nearest to me.
Old 01-16-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now it's ONLY available for store pickup. Shipping is sold out. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-16-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought the BR 3D as soon as it was announced. Learned my lesson from missing out on a bunch before...although it sucks having paid $30 for GITS 3D...
Old 01-16-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I preordered the 4K steel book a while ago and woke up to an email saying it was unavailable. WTF is the point of preordering anything anymore? I completely FORGOT about the 3D version so I hope they get more in stock.
Old 01-16-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Was one the fence about picking up Bladerunner until this morning. My local Best Buy was showing none available in store and the next closest one is 45 minutes away. Shipping at the time was showing Feb. 15-20(now shipping is unavailable). Decided to check out my local store anyway and found one in the 3D slot in the new release section sitting behind a regular BD.

I almost missed the entire new release sectional as they have moved it to the area at the checkouts, which is a rather odd place to put it as you would only see anything placed there if you were actually buying something. Luckily I had $15 in RZ cert. and a $10 Dec. promo to softly the blow of paying full price.
Old 01-16-18, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For those saying 3D is dead....like I said, it was going to be a few years before 3D would be back. In this case, glasses free 3D. From avsforum, reporting from CES 2018. Bottom line, 3D is still being worked on and will be back on consumer TV's.

http://www.avsforum.com/stream-tv-gl...e-3d-ces-2018/

Stream TV Glasses-Free 3D at CES 2018

As I’ve said many times, 8K resolution is pointless for consumers sitting at a normal distance from even a large screen. However, at CES 2018, I saw a use case that makes 8K entirely worthwhile for home use: Stream TV glasses-free 3D.
When I first saw Stream TV glasses-free 3D on a 4K/UHD TV over four years ago, I was very impressed with how well it worked. Since then, however, I saw no sign it would enter the consumer-TV market in any significant way.

Now, it looks like this technology might finally make it into consumer TVs, thanks to a newly announced partnership between Stream TV Networks and BOE, one of the largest flat-panel OEMs (original-equipment manufacturers) that supplies raw panels to many TV companies. In fact, BOE ships 100 million panels per year, and it will open a new factory in March to make 8K panels. Even better, BOE plans to build Stream TV glasses-free 3D technology into all of its 8K panels.

Stream TV glasses-free 3D technology is called Ultra-D. The system is comprised of three basic parts—a module that converts any 2D or standard stereoscopic signal (say, from a 3D Blu-ray) into the Ultra-D format in real time, a digital signal processor (DSP) that accepts an Ultra-D signal and controls the LCD subpixels, and an optical sheet bonded to the LCD panel.

The optical sheet consists of several refractive and diffractive layers that, combined with how the LCD subpixels are manipulated by the DSP, project the light from those subpixels out into the space in front of the panel, creating what’s called a light field. This generates stereopsis, a sense of depth when viewed with two eyes.

According to Stream TV’s white paper, “Virtual and partial subpixels merge in the space and form complete and separate views for each eye of the viewer. Then the viewer’s brain takes over, processing them in the same natural way as it is used to in the real world, creating a natural 3D experience. It is very different from 3D display technologies with glasses, which only project two discrete views of a scene. With Ultra-D technology, the viewing areas (light fields) are repeated in a horizontal way, and the transitions between these areas are smooth. So, a viewing area is not divided into discrete viewing zones (cones) as is done in most other technologies, but the optical system creates an almost continuous light field in front of the screen.”

Because Ultra-D creates a light field rather than two fixed views, it can also reproduce motion parallax, which is the effect you see when objects in your field of view move with respect to each other. This does not depend on stereopsis and can be used by those with partial or complete stereo blindness to experience a sense of depth. Apparently, Ultra-D detects objects that are partially occluding (blocking the sight of) other objects and extrapolates what you can’t see behind the object in front. When the objects move relative to each other, you perceive motion parallax.
Old 01-16-18, 07:19 PM

that will make me upgrade...
Old 01-16-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

As long as it's still true 3D and not it faking something from a 2D image, I will PAY for it! Give me an 80-incher or larger!
Old 01-16-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 607 Likes on 446 Posts

I have to admit I was skeptical that this would ever come to fruition -- let alone make use of available 3D discs -- but I'm quite hopeful now. Not sure if it will automatically make 2D into 3D, and I'd be happy if it didn't (although I recall that potential capability being mentioned in articles about previous CES iterations of this product), but for stuff either shot in 3D or converted to it, this might just be the bee's knees, especially for us "fools" who happily part with our money for the added experience. I'm sure these panels won't be cheap out of the gate, but considering how fast prices drop on most home entertainment technology these days and that the manufacturer (though not the developer of Stream TV, apparently) BOE is a Chinese company, I doubt we'd have to wait too long.
Old 01-17-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I have to admit I was skeptical that this would ever come to fruition -- let alone make use of available 3D discs --
This is what I am hoping for. I have a great 3D BD collection that I have slowly started to get rid of because I no longer have my 3D projector and don't really want to buy a used, old 3D TV. I may keep holding on to the ones I really want if this has any chance of happening.

The big question is...will it be affordable?
Old 01-17-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

My understanding of that article is that it doesn't provide traditional stereoscopic 3D, but a continuous "light field" of possibly dozens to hundreds of different views from different angles. That, along with the "horizontal parallax" mention, means that it's very much intended to make real the "window into a world" effect. Meaning, you could walk by the screen and see a constantly shifting 3D image, much like with a real window.

One thing is that there's no existing content for this type of 3D, so whether it uses a 2D image or a 3D stereoscopic one, the TV itself is going to have to generate the other viewpoints. A 3D Blu-ray is likely a better starting point, since there's two reference views, but it won't be the same as anything in the TV's "native" 3D format. There's also the potential for professional post-conversions to this format, although that would likely require a new video format to store it ("Utra-D Blu-ray"?).

The mention of "light field" reminds me of the light-field cameras that exist but haven't really taken off. I don't know if the tech is the same, but it'd be interesting if footage shot with a light field camera can show up as 3D on these TVs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera
Old 01-17-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 607 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
One thing is that there's no existing content for this type of 3D, so whether it uses a 2D image or a 3D stereoscopic one, the TV itself is going to have to generate the other viewpoints. A 3D Blu-ray is likely a better starting point, since there's two reference views, but it won't be the same as anything in the TV's "native" 3D format. There's also the potential for professional post-conversions to this format, although that would likely require a new video format to store it ("Utra-D Blu-ray"?).https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera
I'd like to think that they might make these displays reverse-compatible with existing 3D Blu-Rays the way we watch them now, so that if you wanted to wear the glasses, you could. But I'm no techie . . .

The linked article says the CES demo included clips from LIFE OF PI and GRAVITY, so I wonder if those were just played from discs, or processed in some way?

There's also a small but interesting discussion about the sets linked at the bottom of the article:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d...l#post55510500
Old 01-17-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
The linked article says the CES demo included clips from LIFE OF PI and GRAVITY, so I wonder if those were just played from discs, or processed in some way?
the article says the clips were pre-processed to run on the set:
Stream TV had pre-processed the clips into the Ultra-D format, though this can be done in real time as well.
Old 01-17-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thought from reading the full article:
In effect, Ultra-D combines a 2D image and a depth map, using the pixels on the screen for one or the other.
Post-production 3D conversions basically already have this setup, a 2D image and a depth map, which they then use to create the 2nd image for stereoscopic 3D. So they may actually have an advantage with this new format, since they can just go back and provide the depth map for this new format.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.