Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Old 12-09-23, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 679 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Because people will pay $28 and up for it because itís from a VS partner label and is all Ďcuratedí and stuff.

Iím sure itís not a bad recorded stage play, and it did get (mixed) notices in some major publications, but it seems like a textbook example of 3D for the sake of itself.

When VS teased a secret new 3D title in their email a while back, I was suspecting something more intriguing, like one of the many 3D narrative movies still buried away. This was a stretch.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (12-09-23)
Old 12-09-23, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Checking reviews for CHARLIE VICTOR ROMEO, they seem mostly positive, although the response to the 3D is mixed.

https://www.latfusa.com/article/2013...-brings-flight
With a minimalist cast, a single cockpit set, and a stunning 3D presentation, ďCharlie Victor RomeoĒ is a hyper-realistic, claustrophobic thriller that looks at in flight horror through a lens we often never get to see.
https://thefilmstage.com/review-charlie-victor-romeo/
The effect of the film adaptation of Charlie Victor Romeo is claustrophobic, a 3D film contrary to the typical conventions of form. It will not benefit from the larger-than-average premium branded large format venue (like IMAX and RPX), but seems custom made for the intimate screening rooms of Film Forum.
https://variety.com/2013/film/review...eo-1117948985/
The 3D photography brings an exceptional clarity to the film, but doesnít in the end seem like a factor critical to the story.
https://www.screenslate.com/articles...e-victor-romeo
Charlie Victor Romeo has nothing in the way of bombast. It is not big, or colorful, or campy. It is an acutely distressing film shot with minimal cast on a single, small set with limited camera action, yet itís enhanced by its extra dimension as much as Avatar or Hugo... The 3D removes the flattened feeling plaguing so many recorded stage performances, trading the visceral presence of live actors for added intimacy and claustrophobia.
https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/rev...r-romeo-movie/
The filmís only shortcoming involves its use of stereoscopic 3D. The intention is to cultivate a feeling of proximityóto bring us directly into the cockpit. Nothing jumps out at the screen, but the light lost as a result of this technology does the film a disservice, especially during some of the early segments. While itís affecting to see the beads of sweat on a pilotís forehead, the overall image quality is sometimes a bit fuzzy. Since the visuals are largely static, there doesnít seem to be any specifically filmic reason to use 3D, and it comes across as an attempt to recapture the theatrical intimacy of the original production. At times, the 3D presentation nearly contradicts the movieís intentionalóand effectiveóminimalism.

The film was made with the help of a Kickstarter, and here's how they describe the reason to shoot it in 3D, back in 2012:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lm/description
The power of our production is the intimate communication of the intensity and emotion of these emergencies, communicated between our cast and the audience. That's the energy of live performance, of theater. How do we take that closeness, that connection, and carry it over to the cinema?

When we saw our technology partnersí demonstration of their stereoscopic 3D camera technology, designed specifically for the recording of live performance, we were amazed and completely hooked. To have an opportunity to place an audience in the best seat in the theater serves one of the requirements we needed to make the Charlie Victor Romeo Film.

We have been granted a residency at 3LD Arts & Technology Center (3ldnyc.org,) and have scheduled a series of live performances in August, as well as an extended theatrical run in October. We will now be able to bring this groundbreaking and powerful international phenomenon to the big screen allowing moviegoers the same thrilling, devastating and uplifting experience live theater audiences have experienced for years. A performance documentary film intended to bring CVR to its widest audience yet will document an anniversary production of CVR in New York City.
I think 2012 is still within the era where there was still some excitement about 3D and its potential, including possibly eventually shooting everything in 3D.
Spiderbite (12-09-23)
Old 12-10-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Checking reviews for CHARLIE VICTOR ROMEO, they seem mostly positive, although the response to the 3D is mixed. [size=13px]I think 2012 is still within the era where there was still some excitement about 3D and its potential, including possibly eventually shooting everything in 3D.[/size]
Exactly. Here in 2023, though, no one was asking about the whereabouts of this, surely. I can absolutely appreciate Dekanalog (and other VS partners) believing everything deserves a preservation of some kind (even barely-screened one-offs like this), but obviously it's not for everyone. Both versions (slipped and not slipped) seem to have sold well despite very low production numbers, but I'd wager it was mostly subscribers using their 50% off privileges, and they probably buy everything. I'm reasonably certain a number of people will be rather 'meh' about their purchases, but I guess that's the nature of the game with these labels.
Old 01-06-24, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 878 Likes on 396 Posts

Trolls Band Together 3D is available on Vudu
https://www.vudu.com/content/browse/...undle-/2885353
Alan Smithee (01-07-24)
Old 01-16-24, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Posted this in the Marvels thread last night but realized its worth noting here as well:

Japanese 4K + 3D set is up, due March 13. Not cheap, but the preorder prices usually do drop, a bit:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0CRLBRMQH

Or, alternately, YesAsiaís preorder is lower:
https://www.yesasia.com/us/the-marve...0-en/info.html

​​​​​​​
Alan Smithee (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts

Put in my order yesterday.

Sadly it looks like Warner has ditched 3D, after being the most dependable studio up til now. Meg 2 hasnít gotten a 3D release (watched the first one recently and enjoyed it) and the second Aquaman isnít getting one either. Really sucks that theyíd start doing this with sequels.
Old 01-30-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 469 Likes on 322 Posts

Seems like this might be apropos to this thread.

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/ap...features-price
"Since the [Apple] Vision Pro sends separate images to each eye, it can do true 3D movies — and Apple and its partners like Disney have already released quite a few. If you have a large Apple movie library, you get the 3D versions for free — you just choose 2D or 3D playback when you hit play."
Old 01-30-24, 02:31 PM

As much as I love 3D, I have zero desire to watch a movie on a head mounted device.
Old 01-30-24, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iíd be curious to try a 3D movie on a pair of these, briefly and in-store, to see how it compares to the TV+glasses method, but like that article says, this technology still has an uphill battle to convince people that using a computer and the clutter of associated apps in there is better than it is out here. And it has the same issue for me that Iíve had with ever other attempt at this technology: itís a big box on your head. Now it just looks like a pair of ski goggles, but itís still way too big and awkward. Appleís slick videos show people doing normal daily activities ó including watching movies ó while wearing it, but I doubt many would adapt to it in that way, because itís still a big thing strapped to your head! Make it so it can be piped into the glasses Iím wearing now without straps, cables, battery packs, and so I can turn it on and off with the press of a tiny button, and I might think about it. Until then, I like my iMac and my phone and my 3D TV that I can look away from and not have them still be in front of my face.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-30-24 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 469 Likes on 322 Posts

Apparently the Disney+ app on Vision Pro will support 3D playback of movies that have 3D versions. I'm not aware of Disney+ supporting 3D playback on any other platform.

https://press.disneyplus.com/news/di...-entertainment
Old 01-30-24, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,218 Likes on 745 Posts

I watch 3D movies on my PS4 VR and with a pair of headphones, it is awesome. It actually looks just as good, if not better, than when I had a 3D projector.
Old 01-30-24, 05:15 PM

You canít get proper movie sound from headphones. The speakers need to be placed in relation to the screen, as they are in a proper theater. Iím sure games and stuff like that are great on VR, but itís not a suitable place for movies.
Old 01-31-24, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,218 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You canít get proper movie sound from headphones. The speakers need to be placed in relation to the screen, as they are in a proper theater. Iím sure games and stuff like that are great on VR, but itís not a suitable place for movies.
You must have some shitty headphones then.
Old 03-05-24, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New 3D Film Archive Kickstarter for Arch Obolerís DOMO ARIGATO (1972).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on-3-d-blu-ray

"A SPECTACLE OF JAPAN IN THE MOST AMAZING VISUAL PROCESS EVERĒ

We are restoring Arch Oboler's final feature film, Domo Arigato for 3-D Blu-ray release. This campaign is your opportunity to show your interest and support for this project and pre-order the Compatible 3-D Blu-ray release.

Domo Arigato is the finest example on film of the amazing Space-Vision system!

Matt Rovner is an independent film scholar who is currently writing the first ever biography of Arch Oboler, tentatively titled ďThe Devil and Arch Oboler.Ē He shares his thoughts on the film:

ďDomo Arigato is Arch Obolerís overlooked final film. It is a melancholy Space-Vision travelogue through early 1970s Japan. Domo Arigato is also Donald Petermanís (Point Break, Men in Black) first film as cinematographer, and he captures the ďsometimes vulgar, often raffish and almost always exhilarating display of 1970s TokyoĒ, qualities that Ian Buruma describes in his own photography of Japan. In sharp contrast to the filmís visual beauty, Oboler depicts a tense love story that is haunted by the ambivalent legacy of his generation, the so called ďGreatest GenerationĒ. His cinematic swan song is not only a tour of Japan, it is a tour through his career-long artistic obsessions with the crushing threat of human extinction and the faint hope of renewal. Long past the point where it was reasonable, Arch Oboler refused to accept defeat. Until his death in 1987, he wrote screenplays for films that were never produced and radio scripts for dramas that were produced and heard by a mass audience.Ē

3-D expert Mike Ballew (author of the upcoming book "Close Enough to Touch: 3-D Comes to Hollywood") writes about the superb stereoscopic qualities.

ďSay what you will about writer/producer/director Arch Oboler, the man was a true believer in the powerful potential of 3-D motion pictures. More than a decade after the pop culture whirlwind unleashed by his 1952 film Bwana Devil, Oboler encouraged and financed a fellow 3-D visionary, Lt. Col. Robert V. Bernier, to create Space-Vision, a revolutionary camera lens and projection system. Cleverly stacking its stereopairs one above the other on a single strip of film, Space-Vision eliminated problems that had bedeviled prior 3-D systems for years. The left and right images always ran in perfect sync, and with proper care in the lab and in projection, they were perfectly matched for brightness, sharpness, and color fidelity. But Space-Visionís most magical feature by far was its uncanny power to bring people and objects far forward into theatre space, producing 3-D images that appeared completely detached from the screen. Audiences did not always respond to the slow-building, oddly ruminative science fiction mystery plot of Obolerís inaugural Space-Vision effort, The Bubble (1966). But they were never less than completely amazed by the spectacular off-the-screen effects that make that film, for all its quirks, a 3-D fan favorite to this day.

Half a decade later, Oboler found the opportunity to make another film in Space-Vision, this time a love story set against the backdrop of a thriving postwar Japan. Domo Arigato headlines two unknowns, Bonnie Sher and Jason Ledger, but the real star of the show is Space-Vision. In the capable hands of future Academy Award-nominated cinematographer Donald Peterman (Flashdance, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home) and his camera operator, future DP Nick McLean (The Goonies, Spaceballs), Space-Vision never looked so gorgeous. Working hand in glove like the friends they were, Peterman and McLean pushed the systemís capabilities to the limit. Careful, often inventive camera placement beguiles us with deeply layered compositions, bearing stereoscopic witness to the dynamic mix of ancient and modern that throbs like a heartbeat in the Land of the Rising Sun. Charming scene transitions bring carved toys and trinkets seemingly within armís reach. Perhaps most striking is the filmís audacious use of lowlight photography, offering a living window into neon cityscapes and radiant interior spaces long since lost to the march of time, while giving us a ďYou Are ThereĒ tour of Tokyo nightlife in cabarets, restaurants, even a circus. Domo Arigatonever lets viewers forget they are watching a 3-D movie. But Obolerís bittersweet tale aspires to more than mere witless gimmickry, casting its thoughtful gaze deep into the fascinating world its characters live to explore even as they discover one another.Ē
​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
Alan Smithee (03-05-24), IDrinkMolson (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 06:00 PM

Already ordered.
Brian T (03-05-24)
Old 03-06-24, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Google search of DOMO ARIGATO brought up Bob Furmanekís comments at the other site, and apparently this was fully funded in about five hours, and still going, so hopefully that means a few bonus goodies. He mentioned that the first stretch goal will likely be announced today at some point.
Alan Smithee (03-06-24)
Old 03-08-24, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The shipping rate dropped on The Marvels 3D from Amazon Japan.
Brian T (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
The shipping rate dropped on The Marvels 3D from Amazon Japan.
Presumably thatís retroactive to orders already placed?
Old 03-09-24, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Presumably thatís retroactive to orders already placed?
I'm not sure, I waited until it dropped this time. In the past however, I had to cancel and re-order.
Make sure it's in stock (steel book mostly, since they didn't have any add-on exclusives this time) if you cancel and re-order.
But many people say chatting with them will get it adjusted too, even if it's out of stock. I saw one post on FB that said they couldn't cancel it and had to chat though.
Old 03-10-24, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I canceled and placed a new order, and since itís not in stock yet, the delivery dates were maintained.
IDrinkMolson (03-10-24)
Old 03-20-24, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 988 Likes on 825 Posts

Does someone have link to buy The Marvels in 3D? Thanks.
Old 03-20-24, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Does someone have link to buy The Marvels in 3D? Thanks.
It should be here on Amazon jp:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0CRLBRMQH

Hopefully they are still shipping to USA. Before in the past, you had to pre-order in order for it to get shipped to USA. But at some point last year or so they released all of the recent Marvel 3D to ship to USA.

If they aren't, there's yesasia too: https://www.yesasia.com/us/the-marve...0-en/info.html
OldBoy (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 08:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 988 Likes on 825 Posts

Thanks. I’m just not sure. I hated the movie and don’t think I can justify but it would be only Marvel movie I don’t have in 3D. Such decisions…
Old 03-20-24, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched this last night. I donít bother much with Marvel movies at the theater anymore because I donít want to add to the already hefty price of these Japanese discs. I do wonder if theyíll continue with these ó or 3D at all ó now that theyíre supposedly rethinking the direction of the MCU after this and some of the others kinda flopped or underwhelmed. I didnít read the thread here for its theatrical release because it wasnít very high on my priority list (plus I knew it required some knowledge of the TV shows, which I hadnít seen), but I can imagine it took its share of criticism to perform as poorly as it did. The 3D was as well done as it was on all the other Marvel discs, and I guess the money was up on the screen, but it felt a bit cringier than I expected. Still, Iíll keep it since I have all the others, and itís not the first Marvel movie to show signs of their diminishing returns.
Old 03-21-24, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
It should be here on Amazon jp:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0CRLBRMQH

Hopefully they are still shipping to USA. Before in the past, you had to pre-order in order for it to get shipped to USA. But at some point last year or so they released all of the recent Marvel 3D to ship to USA.

If they aren't, there's yesasia too: https://www.yesasia.com/us/the-marve...0-en/info.html
They are shipping to the USA now without it being a pre-order. They had some sales on a couple over the weekend and I placed an order for Doctor Strange MOM, The Eternals and Shang Chi(not part of the 3D sale). Total came out to around $126 shipped. Thor Love & Thunder and Ant Man Quantumania(steelbook version) were also on sale but I passed on those two.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.