DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Issue With The Recent "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" Bluray+DVD Combo Release... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/595536-issue-recent-good-bad-ugly-bluray-dvd-combo-release.html)

swollen_ostrich 10-14-11 03:29 PM

Issue With The Recent "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" Bluray+DVD Combo Release...

I picked up a copy of the (fairly) recent BluRay+DVD Combo pack of "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" because the included DVD was supposed to contain the original 161 minute theatrical release.

However, on the copy I purchased, and indeed, all of the copies at my local Best Buy actually contain the extended version with the Richard Schickel commentary, not the theatrical release. (It basically has the first DVD of the 2 DVD Extended Version set.)

To add insult to injury, the artwork on the DVD included in the BluRay+DVD combo matches the artwork of the standalone DVD "theatrical" release version with the "Best Of Eastwood" branding on it. On a whim, I asked my Best Buy to test the last copy of that DVD they had on the shelf, and, lo and behold, it contained the same extended version with the Richard Schickel commentary.

Doing some Googling, I found further evidence that, apparently, all the copies of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" that have been released after the 2004 restoration was done, even those in the "Eastwood Collection" type bundles and the like all contain the same extended version, and not the advertised theatrical version.

I was curious if anyone else has noticed this or can independently verify it?

Emailing Fox's customer service account was useless - after thoroughly explaining my findings and beliefs, they are still insisting on having me send my copy back to them (on my dime for shipping, no less) for them to "further review the issue".

I'm not quite sure why they can't pull a copy from their warehouse or off the production floor to verify my claims, as the DVD with the "Best of Eastwood" brand has been around out there for quite a while now, and the issue with my copy looks to stem from them using remainders of that title as the "theatrical release" in the BluRay+DVD combo, which would indicate that that DVD release was botched to begin with.

Anyway, is anyone aware of the theatrical version of "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" available on anything other than the original 1998 DVD that was released? (I already have this copy and was hoping to finally be able to get rid of it.)

mcharro3 10-14-11 05:11 PM

Re: Issue With The Recent "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" Bluray+DVD Combo Release.

Unfortunately, the extended cut is the only version currently available...in North America, anyway. Not sure if any other regions have the theatrical version.

As an aside, I hope we get a better version of this classic someday. The PQ on the current release isn't up to 2011 standards, and branching technology can/should be used to choose between the theatrical and extended versions!

Rypro 525 10-15-11 01:19 AM

Re: Issue With The Recent "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" Bluray+DVD Combo Release.

litterally the only way to get the theatrical cut is to try and find the old dvd used at an FYE with the old cover. Found it used at a local shop for 4.99, was very happy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Superdaddy 10-15-11 12:18 PM

Got a used copy of the 161 minute version from a DVD trade site, in pristine condition without a scratch on it.

I have been tempted to upgrade the whole trilogy to BD, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on account of the pretty lousy transfer on GBU.

DVD Polizei 10-15-11 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcharro3 (Post 10965647)
Unfortunately, the extended cut is the only version currently available...in North America, anyway. Not sure if any other regions have the theatrical version.

As an aside, I hope we get a better version of this classic someday. The PQ on the current release isn't up to 2011 standards, and branching technology can/should be used to choose between the theatrical and extended versions!

I'm sure the movie studio will announce The Gooder, Badder, and Uglier Version coming out next Spring. :up:

tylergfoster 10-16-11 02:08 AM

So, you're saying even this box set will contain the long cut? http://www.amazon.com/Name-Trilogy-F...8748869&sr=8-2

And the "Best of Eastwood" set is a repackage done long after the 2-disc was available...I guess I'm not surprised the DVDs with the "Best of Eastwood" branding to contain that disc. If the packaging doesn't specifically state one way or the other in a place other than the specs, err on the side of caution. Studios are stupid that way.

Superdaddy 10-16-11 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10967023)
So, you're saying even this box set will contain the long cut? http://www.amazon.com/Name-Trilogy-F...8748869&sr=8-2

That's the original set of the trilogy. I don't own it, but it should have the 161 minute version in it as it was issued before the three-hour cut came out.

sb5 10-16-11 01:55 PM

My Walmart was selling a Clint Eastwood Double Feature with GBU and Hang 'Em High for $5-$10. Is that the Special Edition cut? I swore it said 161 minutes, but it could have been a misprint (or I'm just misremembering). The online listing shows the total running time of the set as 276 minutes, which would line up with it being the US theatrical cut (Hang 'Em High = 115 minutes, GBU US theatrical = 161 minutes, 115 + 161 = 276).

Has anyone bought this and knows?

tylergfoster 10-16-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by sb5 (Post 10967404)
My Walmart was selling a Clint Eastwood Double Feature with GBU and Hang 'Em High for $5-$10. Is that the Special Edition cut? I swore it said 161 minutes, but it could have been a misprint (or I'm just misremembering). The online listing shows the total running time of the set as 276 minutes, which would line up with it being the US theatrical cut (Hang 'Em High = 115 minutes, GBU US theatrical = 161 minutes, 115 + 161 = 276).

Has anyone bought this and knows?

I'm 99% sure that's going to be the same situation as the "Best of Eastwood" DVD, which lists 161 on the packaging, but is not actually that disc.

jrsl76 10-16-11 11:43 PM

I wish we could just get a remastered theatrical cut. I like it so much more. Then put out a set with both versions.

swollen_ostrich 10-18-11 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jrsl76 (Post 10968126)
I wish we could just get a remastered theatrical cut.

Don't hold your breath - all my emails back and forth with the manufacturer indicate to me that they don't even realize they've been distributing the extended release on DVD in the US and advertising it as the theatrical release for several years now.

They still want me to send my Bluray Combo back to them, and I keep telling them all they need to do is pull a copy out of the warehouse or off the manufacturing floor to verify the error.

Oddly enough, I found a hi-res scan of the back of their Greek DVD release, that has the same artwork as the "Best of Eastwood" release - in Greece, the packaging shows the correct running time of the extended version.

So, they know what they are distributing in Greece, but not in North America!

Gotta love it!

swollen_ostrich 10-18-11 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10967023)
And the "Best of Eastwood" set is a repackage done long after the 2-disc was available...I guess I'm not surprised the DVDs with the "Best of Eastwood" branding to contain that disc. If the packaging doesn't specifically state one way or the other in a place other than the specs, err on the side of caution. Studios are stupid that way.

That's the problem - the "Best of Eastwood" DVD lists the theatrical release running time. It also lists no extras.

I even gave the manufacturer an "out", telling them they probably haven't heard complaints because most people (except people like us) aren't going to complain when they get more on the DVD than the back of the box lists.

darmok 10-26-11 09:47 PM

thanks for raising this thread. i've always wanted to get GBU on blu but due to the long-known shitty ass transfer and the lack of the theatrical cut i'm gonna hold out, even with the price dropping to the $10 range :( hopefully, there will be a "gooder" version coming soon.

tylergfoster 10-28-11 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by swollen_ostrich (Post 10969672)
That's the problem - the "Best of Eastwood" DVD lists the theatrical release running time. It also lists no extras.

Runtime is not specific, really. Any information they might've just pulled from a template or database constitutes non-specific information, you'd want it to say in the box copy, or instead of "Best of Eastwood" it would say "Theatrical Cut." Then it'd be clear someone took the extra effort to label it a certain way. But that's just my two cents.

swollen_ostrich 10-28-11 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10983284)
or instead of "Best of Eastwood" it would say "Theatrical Cut."

That's the way they are advertising it on the Bluray+DVD Combo. And I quote: "Includes both the theatrical version and the unrated version of the film"

Of course, as the whole point of this thread is, it doesn't! :)

I've given up ever getting this fixed - they emailed me again insisting I have to send them my copy back (on my dime) for them to investigate further.

Oh well!

Peep 10-28-11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by swollen_ostrich (Post 10983324)
That's the way they are advertising it on the Bluray+DVD Combo. And I quote: "Includes both the theatrical version and the unrated version of the film"

The theatrical version is available via seemless branching.

swollen_ostrich 10-28-11 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peep (Post 10983556)
The theatrical version is available via seemless branching.

No, it's not - the DVD is supposed to contain the Theatrical, the BluRay the extended version.

There is NO BluRay version available anywhere of the theatrical release, branching or otherwise.

Nor has the DVD version ever contained both via branching.

clckworang 10-28-11 06:34 PM

I didn't even realize this was an issue, but I guess I'm happy I've always kept the old DVD edition.

Coligion 11-07-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by swollen_ostrich (Post 10969672)

I even gave the manufacturer an "out", telling them they probably haven't heard complaints because most people (except people like us) aren't going to complain when they get more on the DVD than the back of the box lists.

I own the "Best of Eastwood" version of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and always thought it was the theatrical version given the runtime on the back cover. Boy do I feel ignorant!

Another question: The back cover claims English mono track, but when looking at the "Languages" option on the DVD there is only English 5.1 Surround or Italian mono selectable...I would assume the back cover is also wrong, and this release only contains the newer 5.1 mix?

What a disappointment. Here I was holding out on the BD release because I thought I owned the theatrical release...

tylergfoster 11-08-11 08:47 PM

When I read this thread I went on Amazon Marketplace and bought a used copy of the TC. It came in great shape and it was less than $10...that's what I recommend.

Coligion 11-09-11 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10966113)
litterally the only way to get the theatrical cut is to try and find the old dvd used at an FYE with the old cover. Found it used at a local shop for 4.99, was very happy

Is this DVD the only way to get the original 1.0 mono score?