Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Has nothing to do with UV.
Yes it does: UV uses DRM to authorize devices for videos from your account. With a jailbroken device, they can't confirm that the DRM is secure, so they set the app to not work on a jailbroken device. It's the same reason that Apple did it for iBooks, and Optimum did it for their app.

Like those apps though, there's likely going to be a workaround for jailbroken iOS devices implemented soon.
Old 10-14-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone able to get the Green Lantern copy to work? I've typed in the website and for whatever reason it's not working. I hate not having an Itunes copy. Going on a plane trip tonight and this would've been a nice way to kill the time.
Old 10-14-11, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

What site are you typing in? I just tried it and it worked fine.
Old 10-15-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I typed in the site on the slip. I'll try it later on a different computer
Old 10-15-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you play the UV copy on an android device? All the site points to is the flixster movie app and that has no UV options.
Old 12-02-11, 09:43 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
Anyone able to get the Green Lantern copy to work? I've typed in the website and for whatever reason it's not working. I hate not having an Itunes copy. Going on a plane trip tonight and this would've been a nice way to kill the time.
I didn't try, but I did put in a suppoort ticket for a iTunes compatible code (they gave me one for HP7p2) and they responded with this:

Dear XXXXXXX:

Thank you for being one of our best customers and among the first to try UltraViolet™ Digital Copy. Thank you also for contacting us to let us know that your experience wasn't optimal.

While we have received a lot of positive reaction to UltraViolet, we realize that with any new technology there is a learning curve for both creators and consumers, and this is especially true around new user experiences.

It's important to us that you are fully satisfied with your purchase. With that in mind, we will send you a coupon code for an iTunes version of your UltraViolet Digital Copy title so that you can obtain an iOS-compatible download of this title. Please look for an email from the Apple iTunes store with a replacement code.

We also wanted to let you know that you can download your UltraViolet Digital Copy to a supported iOS or Android device. (For a list of supported iOS devices see this article. For a list of supported Android devices, please visit this link.)

We are excited by UltraViolet's ability to offer you a digital locker copy of your purchased title. With UltraViolet today, you can download your title to a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS-compatible device for off-line playback. In addition, you can stream it to your PC, Mac, or compatible iOS and Android devices. You can also add up to six members to your account so that your whole family can enjoy the movie. And UltraViolet provides ongoing access to your titles from the cloud, meaning you will enjoy the benefit of future enhancements to the service, including the addition of new devices, download formats, and retailers.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us. We'd like to keep the channels of communication open and look forward to hearing from you as we continue our rollout of UltraViolet-enabled titles.

Sincerely,

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Flixster
Then a just today I got this:

Dear valued customer,

To resolve your Ultraviolet Digital Copy request, we will mail you a Digital Copy disc that includes an iTunes compatible file for PCs and Macs as well as a Windows Media@ file for Windows-based PCs.

Please respond to this email with your name and physical mailing address. The expected delivery time frame is 2-3 weeks from the date we receive your mailing address.

Thank you for contacting UltraViolet Digital Copy Support.

UltraViolet Digital Copy Support Team
So I responded with this:

I'm not sure why you need my mailing address. You guys emailed me the code for the Harry Potter 7 Part 2 iTunes version, but if you want to pay the postage my address is:

[removed]

I hope that there is a privacy clause that precludes you mailing me anything else.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXX
So we'll see what they do. If I get a code in the mail, cool. If they email me one, that's cool too.
Old 12-03-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cartman
How do you play the UV copy on an android device? All the site points to is the flixster movie app and that has no UV options.
The movies are in the Flixster app under your movies or movie library or something similar.

Goldberg74 should try using the code because you get two Green Lantern movies with the code. With the disc, you just might get the one movie.
Old 12-03-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I have 4 movies on this UV library "service". I'm not against digital copies but when I tried to watch a movie with my son the other day when we were sitting in the mall waiting for my wife the picture quality was shit even with with a strong signal. If I want a digital copy I'll create my own file and just copy it over to my Bionic. Streaming leaves much to be desired.
Old 12-07-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
Originally Posted by trespoochies
What site are you typing in? I just tried it and it worked fine.
I typed in the site address on the card in The green lantern bluray, it doesn't work so I just typed in flixter.com and that worked.

Despite reading the previous post I was surprised to see the extra movie included with the UV code.
There is an option to download the movies onto my iPad and I guess if I wanted also to my laptop.

Last edited by whotony; 12-07-11 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-09-11, 08:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Uh oh. Not all is rosy with this service right now.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9RGHGMO1.htm
Old 12-09-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great article.
Old 12-09-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Really not looking forward to opening my Black Friday Green Lantern purchase and trying this thing. The fact that Flixster makes me think of Qwikster doesn't help either.
Old 12-09-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so glad that "Cowboys and Aliens" gave a choice of Utraviolet or Itunes/Windows/Amazon. I hope that's the norm from now on. I tried Ultraviolet today and found my account blocked. They sent an email to my spam mail to verify my account. I never read my spam mail, so I never verified it with their 3 day time span. Tried to verify it today and it wouldn't go through. Emailed tech support so we'll see what happens. Loved the article, I read that earlier today and was hoping that it was going to end with the program dismantling.
Old 12-09-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
The fact that Flixster makes me think of Qwikster doesn't help either.
Not to mention the Ultraviolet/Ultraviolent connection.
Old 12-24-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tech support finally responded. They told me to log into my account...and I found it still blocked.

Emailed again and got the same generic response that in no way answered the question that I had asked regarding unblocking my account. I'll try asking for those Itunes codes and then be done with them.
Old 12-24-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Less than 2 hours later, I received a response on Christmas Eve! Not expecting that! They sent me an Itunes code for "Harry Potter 7.2" and will also send codes for 2 other movies that I had issues with.
Old 12-28-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ultraviolet copy of Final Destination 5 is cropped from 2.40:1 to 1.78:1. Weird considering the other films I have Ultraviolet copies of all contain their OAR of 2.40:1 (Crazy Stupid Love, Horrible Bosses and Mars Attacks) and the aspect ratio is retained on the three discs (3D BD + 2D BD + DVD) in its combo pack.

I've tried streaming titles on both my iPhone and iPad, where I have 25mbps+ connection, and films look like shit on both devices.

Can we kill Ultraviolet now and just go back to getting the digital copies from iTunes?
Old 12-28-11, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You can download the UV copy directly to your iwhatever.
Old 12-28-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You can download the UV copy directly to your iwhatever.
Yeah, through the crappy Flixster application.
Old 12-28-11, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yeah, through the crappy Flixster application.
Well, yeah....
Old 12-29-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Ultraviolet copy of Final Destination 5 is cropped from 2.40:1 to 1.78:1.
Are you sure it's cropped, or could it be open-matte?
Old 12-29-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Are you sure it's cropped, or could it be open-matte?
I did comparisons side-by-side to screenshots posted on Adam's review here and on Blu-ray.com, definitely cropped.
Old 02-07-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I'm not going to read this entire thread, but Drive came with a UV copy, so I registered and entered my code and all that shit. If I read prior posts correctly, since I have an iPhone, am I basically fucked on watching it?
Old 02-07-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ok, I'm not going to read this entire thread, but Drive came with a UV copy, so I registered and entered my code and all that shit. If I read prior posts correctly, since I have an iPhone, am I basically fucked on watching it?
Why would you think that?

Doesn't the uv copy have directions on how you can watch it?
As far as I remember you need to get Flixter to view UV content but only works on non jail broken iPhones.
Old 02-07-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I read a page back that Apple wasn't suporting UV...

Regardless, I do have the Flixster app, so I'll see how that works out. I know there's some option to download the file to your PC, but can it then be imported into iTunes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.