Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

TITANIC 3D Blu-ray 4-disc collector's edition

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

TITANIC 3D Blu-ray 4-disc collector's edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 02:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: TITANIC 3D Blu-ray 4-disc collector's edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I can't seem to decide whether to keep my pre-order on this or cancel it. I know it will look great and be a nice package but I know it may get watched once and then never watched again. Hell, I bought the special edition DVD version and never watch it once. Just put it on a couple of time to show off my home theater to people.

I scored it for around 20 bucks but is that worth the price of it just sitting on a shelf and one viewing?
well obviousily you're not a diehard fan of the movie cause even if it's on cable and it happens to be on when I turn on the tv, I'll just watch it (again) til the bitter end. (I saw this three times earlier this year in the theater)
Old 09-05-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I can't seem to decide whether to keep my pre-order on this or cancel it. I know it will look great and be a nice package but I know it may get watched once and then never watched again. Hell, I bought the special edition DVD version and never watch it once. Just put it on a couple of time to show off my home theater to people.

I scored it for around 20 bucks but is that worth the price of it just sitting on a shelf and one viewing?
Me too. Trying to get away from buying movies just to sit on the shelf. I've watched the sinking scene a couple times on the SE but it's not a movie I'd likely put in. Hell, it's been how many years and I haven't watched it yet? If I pick up some crap thing for $4 and it sits there, no biggie. But if i buy a new disc at retail it has to be something I'll want to rewatch
Old 09-08-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Wasn't there a making-of made at the time of the DVD SE that wasn't included at the last minute? Didn't see it on the extras here...what happened to it? Still looking forward to this release.
Originally Posted by fitprod
I think there was a behind the scenes documentary that was originally broadcast on Fox that was only included on the international DVDs. It is not included on this new set.

fitprod
You're both correct and you're both talking about two different things:

-There was indeed a new 'making of' that was dropped from the special edition DVD, which was supposed to cover every aspect of the film's production (which is why you'll notice in the existing extras, very little on DiCaprio and nothing about the score) because those were to be part of that larger documentary. DiCaprio wasn't available for his input so they canned it. Apparently the idea of Jim Cameron not coming off very well was also a factor.

-The Fox special was called "Titanic: Breaking New Ground". It was a cool piece but ultimately the new National Geographic documentary "Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron" covers the same territory much more accurately, because that Fox special was not a behind-the-scenes special as much as it was a detailed look into the actual sinking using the film as a reference, along with archival survivor interviews. It also included deleted scenes, which we've now seen on the DVD and will see in HD on the Blu-ray.
Old 09-10-12, 07:14 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

$5.00 manufacturers coupon worked just fine on regular combo at Walmart. Scanned and everything.
Old 09-10-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Me too. Trying to get away from buying movies just to sit on the shelf. I've watched the sinking scene a couple times on the SE but it's not a movie I'd likely put in. Hell, it's been how many years and I haven't watched it yet? If I pick up some crap thing for $4 and it sits there, no biggie. But if i buy a new disc at retail it has to be something I'll want to rewatch
Despite its big push, I am treating this like any other catalog release. I will pick it up one day on the cheap.
Old 09-10-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I bought the 3 disc DVD for $7 and sold it for $45, and then pre-ordered this for $25 or so. Not the best deal but at least it's "free."

Edit: It arrived this morning.

Last edited by bluetoast; 09-10-12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Despite its big push, I am treating this like any other catalog release. I will pick it up one day on the cheap.
Only way I have the size of collection that I do. Other than Disney/Pixar(best price is week 1) I no longer see a need of "MUST BUY" day 1 on any releases and with the deal of the DisneyMovieCLub I'm even changing my tune with those titles as well now.
Old 09-10-12, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I went ahead and picked it up for $19.99 using $5 coupon and a $5 RZ. I'm more of a sucker for the Titanic docs than the movie, but I am curious to see parts of it in 3D. Not sure if I'll be able to see it all again though.
Old 09-10-12, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Only way I have the size of collection that I do. Other than Disney/Pixar(best price is week 1) I no longer see a need of "MUST BUY" day 1 on any releases and with the deal of the DisneyMovieCLub I'm even changing my tune with those titles as well now.
Same here.

Never bought the vhs or dvd but I need this movie for my Bill Paxton collection, even though it will never be watched.
Old 09-10-12, 11:04 PM

I still have 2 copies of Collector's Edition in VHS. :/
Old 09-11-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

As much as I'd like to get the 3D version I'll hold off for now. With Avengers and Prometheus (3D for both) coming up I see this along with Snow White having a good price around Black Friday.
Old 09-11-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well, I ended up picking up the regular Blu today. Had some left over credit at MS so only $5 out of pocket.
Old 09-11-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Target's ad for this Sunday, the 16th, will feature the 2D Titanic version for $19.99. FYI
Old 09-12-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone having problems with their 2D release?

I bought it yesterday, the video kept freezing every five seconds, exchanged it this evening, and this one's doing it through the bonus features.
Old 09-12-12, 02:27 AM

Nebraska Furniture has 3D version for $19.79 or pricematch to Best Buy for $14.79.

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?...9#.UFA0v1FAEit
Old 09-12-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Is anyone having problems with their 2D release?

I bought it yesterday, the video kept freezing every five seconds, exchanged it this evening, and this one's doing it through the bonus features.
If your Blu-ray player's firmware up to date?
Old 09-13-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the non-3D version from Amazon today. I don't even remember loving Titanic from when I saw it in theaters back in 1997, but am very excited to check this out.
Old 09-14-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up the 3D version. I don't have a 3D TV, but for $2 more it seemed like a smart investment. I have only seen this movie 3 or 4 times. I saw it with my mom in theaters and liked it. Watched it with a friend on the "double" VHS. Got the second, loaded DVD and watched that once. At least that sold on eBay for about what the new Blu-ray cost. Hopefully the Blu-ray will see a bit more play.
Old 09-14-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new documentary was great, but once again Leo is nowhere to be seen. The 30 seconds with rabbits was useless.

Also where is Kate Winslet's screen test located on the BD?
Old 09-14-12, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The new documentary was great, but once again Leo is nowhere to be seen. The 30 seconds with rabbits was useless.
BULLSHIT!

I really enjoyed the doc, but after all that time Cameron spent about just how the Titanic dropped to the bottom of the ocean, it's kind of ashame we rally didn't see any of that in the movie.
Old 09-14-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't finish the Ben Stiller one either.

Oh I didn't see that doc btw, but the other retrospective one. But I do want to check The Final Word soon.
Old 09-14-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Damn, I bought this last week for $22.99 at Best Buy. I just noticed in next week's Ad that it's now on sale for $19.99. I already threw out the receipt. Not sure if it's worth it for only $3, but I am a RZ member. Can I have them look up my receipt and then get the price difference back?
Old 09-14-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Damn, I bought this last week for $22.99 at Best Buy. I just noticed in next week's Ad that it's now on sale for $19.99. I already threw out the receipt. Not sure if it's worth it for only $3, but I am a RZ member. Can I have them look up my receipt and then get the price difference back?
Yes, I was able to do that a few weeks back in a similar spot.
Old 09-14-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw The Final Word, very interesting and informative doc. And seriously, the Winslet screen test that's being paraded around the internet isn't even on the BD?
Old 09-14-12, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Speaking of The Final Word, has anyone seen or picked up Ghosts of the Abyss? I plan on getting it, but I was curious to hear from others what they thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.