Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

Old 07-26-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re-Animator on Blu-Ray Soon

They cut the whole sub plot about Dr. Hill having some weird hypnotic powers, but put that back into the R-Rated cut.
Old 07-26-12, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Holy shit! If it is the R version it will be a day 1 purchase for me.
Surely you mean unrated version?
Old 07-26-12, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Over 20 Minutes of Footage Shot for R-Rated and Television Versions
Old 07-26-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

The shorter truncated version? No, no I do not.
Old 07-26-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The shorter truncated version? No, no I do not.
The shorter version isn't truncated, it's the uncensored director's cut. The lengthier R-rated version removes all of the gore and replaces it with the primarily inconsequential (and bloodless) footage included in the TV version to pad out the run time. Take a look.
Old 07-26-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The shorter version isn't truncated, it's the uncensored director's cut. The lengthier R-rated version removes all of the gore and replaces it with the primarily inconsequential (and bloodless) footage included in the TV version to pad out the run time. Take a look.
I am familiar with both versions and prefer the R cut, a cohesive story is more important to me than some special effects. That being said I would prefer a combined cut.

The fan cut previously mention is decent but the deleted scenes are washed out and FS so they stand out. But flow is much better than the UR version.
Old 07-26-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the unrated cut. The one thing I hated about the R cut is that West was addicted to his reagent like some junkie. I like to think he's smarter than that.
Old 07-26-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am familiar with both versions and prefer the R cut, a cohesive story is more important to me than some special effects. That being said I would prefer a combined cut.

The fan cut previously mention is decent but the deleted scenes are washed out and FS so they stand out. But flow is much better than the UR version.

I disagree. The pacing is thrown completely off in the R version with the extra scenes. They were cut for good reason, since the Dr. Hill subplot didn't work and the scenes with him and that plot dragged on forever ( the dinner scene between him and the Dean never ends in this version). The addict West subplot also doesn't really work that well for the reason SuckaMC stated, and is dropped pretty quickly and is quite pointless in the end.

Another amusing thing about the R version is how they seemed to use full takes of various scenes, with no attention to pacing at all. So the scene with Dan in the Deans office if you watch closely, you can literally see Bruce Abbot waiting for his cue to begin, and then there is lots of added dialogue until it finally gets to the important point, which is used in the unrated version which cuts to the chase.

And with all the effects work cut from the R version, the outrageous over the top nature and dark humor of the film is missing as well, so the tone is completely different than the directors cut. And even if the uncut gore and nudity were included with the extra footage, the pacing would still be a drag and thus not be any fun to view.

It was interesting to see the extra footage, and also watch the R version once to see how it plays in that form. But the unrated version is superior in my opinion and I can see why all the extra material was deleted from the final print. I'm not against the R version being available on the same release along side the unrated version. But it would be awful if only the R version were available. Though I'm pretty sure the Image rating and time listing is a misprint.
Old 07-27-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again I disagree, although I love the effects the UR version is way to short. The pacing you speak of adds depth and makes the crescendo at the end much more effective. Having played the combined cut for several friends first time views this seems to be a general consensus.

Also I like the Hypno-Subplot and dropping it opens a pretty big plot hole as to how Hill is actually doing all these things towards the end of the movie.

I guess I am also the only one who likes the Re-Animate as 5hr energy as well (Combs even hates that part). But he wasn't addicted, he was just using it not to sleep. He was just getting the shakes because he was doing it too much.

There is no reason they couldn't do seamless branching of the 3 versions on BR. Or even allow you to choose which scenes to leave in.
Old 08-24-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon now lists the runtime at 85 minutes
Old 08-28-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone reviewed an early copy over on another forum:

So, it is indeed the Unrated cut even though some sites have it listed at 95 mins, it actually is 86mins.

This is a full blown SE with lots of features but all the features have been ported over. There are no more features than have been listed in the press release. Also, there are no less (no Halloween 4 deleted scenes issues).

On to what everyone wants to know.

Video Quality- 4.5/5

I'm literally watching it right now to get a feel for it. As would be expected, there's some blurry shots throughout, white specks throughout and dirt here and there. Overall, the picture is excellent but it shows its roots. The clarity is phenomenal for the most part, the detail is far more impressive than any other release and the colours are natural looking and accurate (the reds are especially wonderful). Close-ups are REALLY impressive while distance shots are sometimes less impressive. The grain structure is intact (it gets a little noisy sometimes but for the most part the grain is healthy, not distracting). This is a significant upgrade from previous DVDs and will please most, I think. I'm certainly happy with it and I'm proud to be able to review it. I also want to mention that I'm familiar with Image's other releases and know that most aren't happy with them. This is much better than Hellbound: Hellraiser II and Children of the Corn. I really doubt Second Sight is going to be able to top this. They might be able to match it but this might be as good as the film can look.

Audio- 4/5

Re-animator has always sounded a bit muddy to me. This is normal for the film and I think the Blu-ray accurately represents what was originally recorded. As I've mentioned in other reviews, my sound system isn't fantastic so I have limited info on how good this sounds but, to me, it's damn good.

Extras- 3.5/5

Lots of good extras that I haven't had a chance to go through yet. The deleted scenes are good (there's an extra nude scene with Crampton for those who love her, and really, how could you not?), the documentary (from Anchor Bay's release) is fantastic and (from what I've watched of it) is very informative. All the interviews are great and it's wonderful seeing all the actors now (Crampton still looks fantastic). Stuart Gordon gets into the history of his venture into the horror genre. It seems that all the extras have been available before. It's a shame they didn't do anything new but it's a solid collection of extras. The documentary now looks to be HD though, which is new. The extras are abundant but I lowered my rating since there's nothing really "new" here.
Old 08-28-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's from horrordvds.com, right?

Sounds promising.
Old 08-28-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it on blu-ray.com, but maybe he posted on horrordvds, too.
Old 08-28-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks for posting that review!

Probably going to wait for more reviews.
Old 08-28-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good so far! Hopefully a few more reviews pop up before my pre-order ships so I can know to keep it or not
Old 08-29-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...-%28Blu-ray%29
Old 08-29-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks for the link!
Old 08-29-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NSFW, by the way.
Old 08-29-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
NSFW, by the way.
Ah, yes, that last screenshot might turn some heads.
Old 08-29-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Ugh. Upconverty. Just cancelled my pre-order.
Old 08-29-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Ugh. Upconverty. Just cancelled my pre-order.
That was kinda my first reaction to it. It looked similar to the other upconverted transfers they've put out.

Sigh.

Second Sight here I come...
Old 08-30-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to cancel my pre-order as well. Yuzna has definitely lost credibility signing off on that, but I guess we should expect shoddy product from Image by now. Hopefully the Second Sight disc will be a new 2k transfer.
Old 08-30-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I might consider this if I can get it cheap. The only other Re-Animator I have is the old Elite ME in the green case.
Old 08-30-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

So close, too...

This sucks. Don May/Synapse Films talked with Brian Yuzna about doing this on Blu-ray with a new 2K scan, but Yuzna was too far along in negotiations with Image to back out of the deal, so this is the garbage we get.
Old 08-31-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blu-ray.com review is up:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Re-Ani.../50637/#Review

Sounds much better than we're thinking it would be.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.