Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Fright Night (1985): Twilight Time exclusive - 12/13/11

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Apparently Twilight Time posted on Facebook that the sticker price for these would be $30-$35, not $40 the way The Egyptian was.
What a bargain! I still think they would be better off lowering the price a bit and raising their "limited" number a few thousand or so. Who comes up with these ideas anyways?
Old 09-01-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol 35-40 plus shipping is chump change. I'll pre-order as soon as the option is available.
Old 09-01-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What a bargain!
I definitely didn't mean that as a "see? the price is totally reasonable!"...just that it's not quite as bad as originally thought. I could see myself paying $35 for Mysterious Island.
Old 09-01-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Nostalgia is a powerful thing, I guess. I rewatched the original on cable after seeing the remake, and quite frankly the remake is an improvement in nearly every respect. Other than Roddy McDowell, the actors in the original are across-the-board atrocious. I found myself cringing repeatedly as William Ragsdale screamed every line of dialogue.
That would explain why its gotten such fantastic reviews and, people who have seen have been going on and on about how great the new version is, and as a result it has been blowing it up at the box off.....ice....errr oh wait no it hasnt.

Infact the new movie is so horrible its looking to give Beastly and season of the witch a good run for the money for next years razzie awards.
Old 09-01-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sony sold the rights of many films to Twilight.
Any idea as to what other films sony licensed out the rights to, besides this and mystery Island?
Old 09-01-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, I guess. I rewatched the original on cable after seeing the remake, and quite frankly the remake is an improvement in nearly every respect. Other than Roddy McDowell, the actors in the original are across-the-board atrocious. I found myself cringing repeatedly as William Ragsdale screamed every line of dialogue.
I saw the original just a few days before the remake so my remark was after seeing them both within a week. The remake had some good qualities, but hell no it isn't better, not even close.
Old 09-02-11, 12:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked the remake. CGI and 3D and all.
Old 09-02-11, 05:58 AM

This is just odd....."Fright Night" isn't some obscure film 3 people have seen. I am just confused about this release. Why isn't Sony putting it out or at least licensing it to a known company like Anchor Bay.

3000 copies? $35 PLUS shipping? WTF? Hopefully this licensing deal expires shortly afterwards and the film gets a more respectable release.
Old 09-02-11, 08:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd pick this up at 1/2 that price. Otherwise, too rich for my blood for this obscure gem.
Old 09-02-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty steep price and I bet demand will be high, but it looks like their shipping to Canada isn't outrageous, so I'm definitely in for this one. Love the original and really dug the remake too.
Old 09-02-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I really doubt Anton Yelchin makes a better Charlie.
He's certainly better than Ragsdale, in that he actually attempts to ACT, rather than just yell all the lines that are written in the script.

And Farrell can't hold a canlde to Sarandon's appeal.
Farrell is great in this. Sarandon... well, he may not have been the worst part of the original, but he wasn't "good" either.

And all that glorious practical FX work is now shitty CGI? Yea, big improvement.
I will agree that some of the CGI is shitty, but most of the makeup in the original was shitty as well.

The original movie had a clever idea and a fun performance from Roddy McDowell. David Tennant put it pretty well in an interview recently when he said: "It was only after I was on board for this one that I checked out the original. It was a very small-scale, slightly tatty B movie that became a sensation. You look at it and you can’t figure out why that should be, other than it’s got a certain charm to it. And of course that’s quite a hard thing to re-create with a remake, because you’re chasing something that is by definition elusive."

For me, the new film is exactly what a good remake should be. It takes a marginal movie that had a clever concept but poor execution, and polishes it up with significantly better writing, directing, and acting.

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
That would explain why its gotten such fantastic reviews and, people who have seen have been going on and on about how great the new version is, and as a result it has been blowing it up at the box off.....ice....errr oh wait no it hasnt.

Infact the new movie is so horrible its looking to give Beastly and season of the witch a good run for the money for next years razzie awards.
Have you seen it? Didn't think so.

Apparently, you haven't seen any of the reviews, either. It has a 76% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and a comparable audience rating. No, it isn't a box office hit, but using box office as an indicator of quality is a fool's game. By that measure, Transformers 3 would be the best movie of the year.
Old 09-02-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I totally bloody love Chris Sarandon in Fright Night. I don't think he was good, I think he was great.

I wish they would put this up at their site already. I want to see exactly what kind of wallet damage we are really looking at here. It would be nice if some of the features for the movie that are floating around online would find their way to the disc, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.
Old 09-02-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm on the fence about this one. I like the original Fright Night, and would like to get it on Blu-Ray, but the price tag is quite steep, not to mention with the limited number of copies, it's unlikely it'll go on sale at any time. I'm quite confused why Sony wouldn't hang onto it themselves, especially when they had the perfect chance to cross-promote with the remake.
Old 09-02-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sarandon... well, he may not have been the worst part of the original, but he wasn't "good" either.
I'm curious what you found lacking in Sarandon's performance. I thought it was the perfect mixture of camp, charm, and menace. $30 or $35 for the Blu-ray is slightly more reasonable - I'm anxiously awaiting any info on the extras, if any. As far as the remake goes, the Metacritic rating, which on the whole I find a bit more reliable than RT, is a bit lower - 64 currently.
Old 09-02-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though I'm glad this is getting the BD release it deserves, I think Sony missed out by not promoting one alongside the theatrical film.

What I'd really like to see Twilight Time handle is Fright Night II. I caught it on HD, in proper 2.35:1 OAR, and it looked spectacular. Maybe it's the nostalgia, but I love that movie. Not nearly as much as the first, but it's a fun sequel.
Old 09-02-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
What I'd really like to see Twilight Time handle is Fright Night II. I caught it on HD, in proper 2.35:1 OAR, and it looked spectacular. Maybe it's the nostalgia, but I love that movie. Not nearly as much as the first, but it's a fun sequel.
Without McDowall it would be a tough chore for me to sit through Part II again. Julie Carmen is as wooden as ever, and the bowling sequence is just cringe-inducing. That said, I'd probably pick it up for $9.99, but not much more.
Old 09-02-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm anxiously awaiting any info on the extras, if any.
Bah. From Twilight Time's FB:

Our contract with Sony precludes us from generating new "bonus materials" but if the studio owns any pre-existing materials, already cleared for release, those can be included. I do not know the status of the (online) commentaries... but will check into it.
...we are meeting with the director, Tom Holland, next week and we will go over all this with him.
Old 09-02-11, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what? That doesn't make sense. Again..what?
Old 09-02-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This just gets weirder and weirder.
Old 09-02-11, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

$35 for a barebones disc? Party like it's 2006!
Old 09-02-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's certainly better than Ragsdale, in that he actually attempts to ACT, rather than just yell all the lines that are written in the script.

Farrell is great in this. Sarandon... well, he may not have been the worst part of the original, but he wasn't "good" either.

I will agree that some of the CGI is shitty, but most of the makeup in the original was shitty as well.

The original movie had a clever idea and a fun performance from Roddy McDowell. David Tennant put it pretty well in an interview recently when he said: "It was only after I was on board for this one that I checked out the original. It was a very small-scale, slightly tatty B movie that became a sensation. You look at it and you can’t figure out why that should be, other than it’s got a certain charm to it. And of course that’s quite a hard thing to re-create with a remake, because you’re chasing something that is by definition elusive."

For me, the new film is exactly what a good remake should be. It takes a marginal movie that had a clever concept but poor execution, and polishes it up with significantly better writing, directing, and acting.

Have you seen it? Didn't think so.

Apparently, you haven't seen any of the reviews, either. It has a 76% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and a comparable audience rating. No, it isn't a box office hit, but using box office as an indicator of quality is a fool's game. By that measure, Transformers 3 would be the best movie of the year.
Actually I have seen it, 2 weeks before it even opened in fact, durring a industry screening here at work.
I have to sit through every movie that gets shown, I dont really have a choice, If i dont sit there to ensure a quality presentation on the films we are going to be showing, then those who have either A) rented the theatre out for a private screening/event or B) spent their hard earned money for a ticket dont get the experience they paid for.

Ive had sit through some really horrible stinkers over the last 15 plus years as well as some great films.
As for reviews I have seen the reviews in the local news and trade papers and have to talked to others who have seen it and a big majority of ppl have
been pretty similar to my thoughts on its quality before I read any reviews.
Old 09-03-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Watching Marcy Rhodes-Darcy before her Married with Children days is another treat for this movie.
Old 09-03-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Facebook:

Q: How much will the Blu-ray for Fright Night run?
A: $29.95.
Look for the pre-order info at www.screenarchives.com around mid-November.
Old 09-03-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole thing does not bode well for Blu-ray. The movie was popular enough for a remake but not popular enough for a Blu-ray release. Scary.
Old 09-03-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Why doesn't Sony let TT produce bonus materials on their own dime with the condition that Sony can release them on a wide disc later? That'd be cheap for them, they'd have a better disc if they ever choose to release it themselves, and you'd have a better chance at creator participation at this stage than later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.