Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Movie Slate for 2012

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-24-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Animated Version Of Dark Knight Returns Heads Up DC Toon Movies For 2012

Submitted by Brendon Connelly on July 24, 2011 – 8:47 pm (12) comments

All Star Superman and Year One have made 2011 an incredible year for DC Universe Animated Movies, and it might prove tricky for 2012 to not seem like a bit of a slump.

Time to bring out the big guns, then. And, you know, some sort of normal sized guns too.

At a Warner Animation panel at Comic-Con, timed to coincide with the premiere of Year One, it was announced that the first film on next year’s DC toon roster will be Justice League: Doom. This will be derived from Mark Waid’s Tower of Babel story in JLA. I don’t know the comics at all, and I just tried to defer to expert assistance but… erm… it didn’t elicit much of a response.

So on to the second release, Superman vs. The Elite. The basis here is What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?, Joe Kelly’s infamous retort to The Authority and similar hero-baiting tales. The original comic was much feted, often by those with a political agenda, though not exclusively.

And, rounding out the announced titles is the real big dog: The Dark Knight Returns. We scooped that this was coming back in April, but today it became general public knowledge with a DC rubber stamp on.

What we didn’t know until now is that Returns will be released as a two-parter. No casting was confirmed, but it was suggested that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill would be under consideration for Batman and the Joker. I’ll believe it when I hear it.

As regards other plans, it was admitted that The Killing Joke would be a possible future title, though nothing is underway on that one right now. I translate that as “in 2013 then.”

On the other hand, Kingdom Come was considered an unlikely proposition, deemed an unfit match for hand-drawn animation.
Bleeding Cool
Old 07-25-11, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC Animated Movie Slate for 2012

The last few releases of DC animated films have been PG-rated. For "The Dark Knight Returns" to work, it must be PG-13 (I'd prefer an R-rated version, but that will never happen). That also applies to "The Killing Joke". I must admit though, that I'm starting to get a little burnt out on the excessive Batman releases -- and this is coming from a very big Batman fan -- seeing how there are a ton of character and stories they can choose from.

Anyway, a two-part animated feature for TDKR is the right way to go and it's what they should have done for "Superman: Doomsday". If this works out, I hope they consider making a multi-part Batman animated feature based on the "Knightfall" trilogy story arc.
Old 07-25-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
The last few releases of DC animated films have been PG-rated. For "The Dark Knight Returns" to work, it must be PG-13 (I'd prefer an R-rated version, but that will never happen). That also applies to "The Killing Joke". I must admit though, that I'm starting to get a little burnt out on the excessive Batman releases -- and this is coming from a very big Batman fan -- seeing how there are a ton of character and stories they can choose from.

Anyway, a two-part animated feature for TDKR is the right way to go and it's what they should have done for "Superman: Doomsday". If this works out, I hope they consider making a multi-part Batman animated feature based on the "Knightfall" trilogy story arc.
DC has done PG-13 releases before so I don't see why there'd be any problem doing The Dark Knight Returns or The Killing Joke with the same rating. Both Batman releases so far and at least a few other DC animated titles are PG-13. Also while there are a lot of Batman related releases he's their biggest character and has a lot of the most famous stories so it makes sense that they're releasing more titles for that character. Superman is about the only other character they have that really is close to the level of Batman. While I like some of the other heroes it's fairly obvious the appeal just isn't as big except to the hardcore comic fans.
Old 07-25-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Bleeding Cool
On the other hand, Kingdom Come was considered an unlikely proposition, deemed an unfit match for hand-drawn animation.
Translation: The animation budget for matching Alex Ross's dynamic artwork for 70 minutes would be too expensive.

It is a shame, but the business people at WB keep a tight rein on these films. I am very glad to hear that DK Returns will be broken up into two parts, there was no way to fit the entire graphic novel's story into 70 minutes without butchering it.

Expect more and more Batman properties, he outsells every other DC character by a good margin.
Old 07-25-11, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

UNDER THE RED HOOD was PG-13.

The 70-75 minute time limit most of these get could be a hinderance, unless they did indeed do two-parters.
Old 07-26-11, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
DC has done PG-13 releases before so I don't see why there'd be any problem doing The Dark Knight Returns or The Killing Joke with the same rating. Both Batman releases so far and at least a few other DC animated titles are PG-13. Also while there are a lot of Batman related releases he's their biggest character and has a lot of the most famous stories so it makes sense that they're releasing more titles for that character. Superman is about the only other character they have that really is close to the level of Batman. While I like some of the other heroes it's fairly obvious the appeal just isn't as big except to the hardcore comic fans.
I understand every thing you said and I have to agree with you, but it was just the comic geek in me speaking.
Old 07-26-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Conroy and Hamill are back then Dark Knight Returns will be a day one purchase for me.

I just wish they would release Mask of the Phantasm on Bluray allready.

Now time to dig into my Justice League season 2 set that came in todays mail
Old 07-26-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And dont forget Return of the Joker was also PG 13
Old 07-26-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'd be nice if the Miller art style influence was also seen in the TDKR. I only just watched the Apocalypse film and All-Star Superman last weekend. In general I liked Apocalypse more... but mainly due to the weak 2nd act in All-Star (though it ended well).

Any news on Marvel animated film projects or are they sticking with just 3 animated TV series for now?
Old 12-13-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Justice League: Doom

Produced by Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, the all-new, PG-13 rated film arrives February 28, 2012 from Warner Home Video as a Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack ($24.98 SRP) and DVD ($19.98 SRP), On Demand and for Download. Both the Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack and DVD will include an UltraViiolet™ Digital Copy.

Primetime television stars Nathan Fillion (Castle) and Tim Daly (Private Practice), the reigning voices of Green Lantern and Superman

The grand reunion of actors who provided the voices of the Justice League for the cartoon of the same name and its follow-up, Justice League Unlimited, includes KEVIN CONROY (Batman: The Animated Series) as Batman, Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville, Breaking In) as Flash, Susan Eisenberg (Superman/Batman: Apocalypse) as Wonder Woman and Carl Lumbly (Alias) as J’onn J’onzz/Martian Manhunter. Bumper Robinson (A Different World, Transformers: Animated) joins the cast as Cyborg.

Justice League: Doom Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack has 3 hours of exciting content, including:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• UltraViiolet™ Digital Copy,
• Sneak Peak at Superman vs. The Elite, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Featurette – “A Legion of One: The Dwayne McDuffie Story” – The skilled writer penned some of the best stories which consistently entertained fans. From his early writing career to adapting the popular work of All-Star Superman, this is the story of Dwayne McDuffie, as told by his family and friends.
• Featurette – “Guarding the Balance: Batman and the JLA” – Everyone has a weakness and so do superheroes, yet when they go rogue, their power can topple more than a few egos, they can shatter worlds. The Justice League is the most powerful organization of superheroes on the planet, but what if the Justice League went rogue, and decided to use their power for harm?
• Mini-featurette – “Their Time Has Come: Cyborg and the DC Universe’s New Diversity” – 2011 will go down in DC Comics storied history as a year when a rich diversity of characters were re-introduced into the spotlight alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. One of the most celebrated of the re-imagined characters is Cyborg, who became the new Man of Steel in Geoff Johns’ altered universe storyline, Flashpoint.
• Creative team commentary
• Two bonus episodes from the Justice League animated series handpicked by Bruce Timm: Wild Cards, Part 1 and 2, written by Stan Berkowitz and Dwayne McDuffie
• Digital Comic

Photobucket

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=51115
Old 12-13-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Looking forward to it and like that they're using the same voices from the respective animated series (or animated movie in the case of Green Lantern).
Old 12-13-11, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I wish Marvel released as many animated movies as DC
Old 12-13-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

The McDuffie featurette could be interesting (and sad)
Old 12-13-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 12-13-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great cover

Anyone have any idea what Superman vs. The Elite will be about?
Old 12-13-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Translation: The animation budget for matching Alex Ross's dynamic artwork for 70 minutes would be too expensive.

It is a shame, but the business people at WB keep a tight rein on these films. I am very glad to hear that DK Returns will be broken up into two parts, there was no way to fit the entire graphic novel's story into 70 minutes without butchering it.

Expect more and more Batman properties, he outsells every other DC character by a good margin.
Actually...

Superman has outsold Batman on DVD in 2011 (Same year release):

All-Star Superman DVD Sold = 260,069 Total Sales Dollars = $4,325,065
Batman: Year One DVD Sold = 121,282 Total Sales Dollars = $1,830,744

Supermans #1 Seller
Superman: Doomsday DVD Sold = 683,486 Total Sales Dollars = $9,448,551

Batman's #1 Seller
Batman: Under the Red Hood DVD Sold = 510,913 Total Sales Dollars = $6,863,756

-Doomsday beats the Hood by over 170,000 DVDs, big number.

Total DVD Sold
Superman (2 Titles) DVD Sold = 943,555 Total Sales Dollars = $13,773,616

Batman (3 Titles) DVD Sold = 1,027,804 Total Sales Dollars = $16,761,423

-Batman is leading in Total DVDs sold and Dollar amount, but he has a third title out while Supes only has 2. The numbers should even out when "Superman vs. The Elite" is released.

-Superman has the #1 selling DVD by a large percentage.

-Superman outsold Batman when both were released in the same year by more than double. (2011: All-Star Superman vs Batman Year One)

-Now this does not include Blu-Ray numbers, cannot find those. My guess is that those #'s would be about even.
Old 12-13-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
That is a great cover

Superman Vs. The Elite may be based on Joe Kelly's "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?".

The story was largely conceived as a response towards the popularity of the DC Comics/Wildstorm Comics series The Authority, which featured jaded, ultra-violent super-heroes who routinely killed their enemies and who flaunted their powers and willingness to kill to prevent others from opposing or criticizing them, became incredibly popular and influential within the comic industry during its original 29 issue run. "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" is largely seen as a rejection of the principles presented by Warren Ellis and Mark Millar, who wrote the original Authority series regarding the super-hero genre of comics.
Old 12-13-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
That is a great cover

Based off of...

"What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?"

It is about a British Super Hero Group that kills the bad guys and becomes popular for saving the day (and not letting the bad guys live to kill again).

Superman take big issues with their actions and tries to deal with them.

Big battle happens and Superman has to convinces them (and the world) killing without justice is wrong.
Old 12-14-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
It'd be nice if the Miller art style influence was also seen in the TDKR.
It was already done in TAS so it would be sort of weak if they didn't do it for this movie.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QoZLPwRCjcQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QoZLPwRCjcQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Old 01-30-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q0MSuTJNDdc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q0MSuTJNDdc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 01-31-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it looks very Young Justice.
Old 03-01-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I just watched it yesterday. It is very Young Justice, down to the Martian Manhunter design, but hey, I would love a Young Justice-like JLA series.

I barely remember anything but the premise from Waid's comics, but I think this one basically takes only the premise of Batman having files on everyone. Most of the scenarios of the Leaguers being taken down are laughable (and really, they have absolutely no follow-through), as are the villain's main plot. Also, in pure comic-geek fashion, that was really a Barry Allen Flash but characterized (and voiced) as Wally, though maybe that's to keep the YJ connection or something.

Any idea why they don't connect these various films? Superman vs. the Elite has a totally different style and I assume is in a different universe. There are ramifications to JL: Doom that I would like to see followed up in a sequel, but I guess we're just getting one-offs all the time?
Old 03-01-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

It's certainly possible there could be a sequel some day (esp. if this one sells). IIRC, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009) and Apocalypse (2010) were connected, so maybe next year we'll get a sequel to JL: Doom?
Old 03-01-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every Best Buy in the surrounding area has sold out of Doom on Blu. It's also unavailable online.
Old 03-01-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Any idea why they don't connect these various films? Superman vs. the Elite has a totally different style and I assume is in a different universe. There are ramifications to JL: Doom that I would like to see followed up in a sequel, but I guess we're just getting one-offs all the time?
I totally agree with you on wishing that these films were connected to each other. I've liked most of these animated DC features thus far but it would be nice if they made them fit together a bit better even if they only did it by character. The only one that really was done as a sequel was Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

I suppose it's because it makes it easier for the casual fan to pick up or a parent to pick up for their kid to watch so they can understand, but it's not like they'd have to do some overly complicated story or something. Just use similar animation/character styles, same voice actors, maybe reference a past story once in a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.