DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Planet Earth: Six-Disc Limited and Special Editions (Release Date TBA) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/592522-planet-earth-six-disc-limited-special-editions-release-date-tba.html)

Superdaddy 07-08-11 07:50 PM

Planet Earth: Six-Disc Limited and Special Editions (Release Date TBA)

Well, now I've seen it all. You know how movie companies like to package movies in big box sets full of trinkets. Well, BBC is about to repackage their series Planet Earth in a limited collector's edition in the shape of...a globe!

Also available without the globe of course...but both versions will be six discs and include all those DVD extras they left off the original release, plus more besides.

I am a huge fan of BBC nature documentaries, but I've gotta say, I'd much rather see anything they haven't already released from their archives--and there's quite a bit of recent material, not just vintage stuff--than something like this.

For the curious (from HTF):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/620377

deluis 07-08-11 08:45 PM

Re: Planet Earth: Six-Disc Limited and Special Editions (Release Date TBA)

Looks like I'll finally be updating my HD-DVD version.

AnonomusBob15 07-08-11 10:51 PM

I NEVER buy the deluxe special packaging version as I always think it looks tacky. This might be the exception.

davidh777 07-08-11 11:23 PM

Physical-media industry trying to stay relevant

Gizmo 07-08-11 11:31 PM

Uhhhh no.

Quack 07-08-11 11:35 PM

I'm glad I held off buying so far.

dolphinboy 07-09-11 12:34 AM

The blu-ray review for the original release states it's in 1080p, but the ads for these new releases state 1080i.

What gives?

And if they can work on re-releasing a "better" version of this, then I hope they can get The Blue Planet out really soon.

sandman007 07-09-11 03:04 AM

Don't really like the cardboard holder for the discs.

Superdaddy 07-09-11 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 10847290)
And if they can work on re-releasing a "better" version of this, then I hope they can get The Blue Planet out really soon.

It might be heresy to some, but I like The Blue Planet series more than Planet Earth.

While both were gargantuan undertakings, with a lot of animal behavior not seen on television before, The Blue Planet captured more species I hadn't seen in a documentary before, under what had to be extremely trying conditions underwater. As a biologist, the "wow factor" for the rarity of what they filmed was bigger for me with The Blue Planet than Planet Earth.

Just my $0.02.

Superdaddy 07-09-11 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by sandman007 (Post 10847366)
Don't really like the cardboard holder for the discs.

Yeah, even if I were in the market for this, the disc sleeves are a big turn-off.

Since Warner distributes BBC product in the USA, I wonder if that book-style packaging for the SE will be similar to the Kubrick set, where people reported that the discs were really jammed in.

b2net 07-09-11 09:18 AM

I wish they would make the 7 hours of Bonus features available separate w/o having to buy the series over again.. That way those of us that bought it in any of the various versions available today can still be complete...

smirnoffski 07-09-11 02:57 PM

Why are they not releasing the BLUE PLANET series or LIFE OF MAMMALS on Blu instead of this unnecessary double dip?

Superdaddy 07-09-11 06:58 PM

Blu-ray.com now gives the release date as 10/4 and identifies this as a 5 BD, 1 DVD set. I am assuming the DVD is "Planet Earth: The Future" as it was presented in the original DVD package.

The new extras (specials and Frozen Planet previews) are probably on the fifth BD.

islandclaws 07-09-11 07:30 PM

I enjoy watching stuff like this, but it seems like it's on cable HD programming 24/7. I don't think I'd drop $100 on stuff I could watch all the time for free.

mattysemo247 07-10-11 10:44 AM

I wonder if they are finally going to include HD audio on the Blu release.

Dan 07-10-11 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by deluis (Post 10847112)
Looks like I'll finally be updating my HD-DVD version.

Likewise.
When both of my brothers had HD-DVD players, I lent my copy of Planet Earth to the one with kids. Huge mistake.

Coral 07-10-11 11:40 AM

The limited edition looks really cheesey, and the cardboard on the other one is a bad idea.

I'll stick with my original release... has everything I need, barely takes up any shelf space and the case will last longer.

DVD Polizei 07-10-11 01:52 PM

Is this from The Onion?

animefan 07-11-11 11:02 PM

I have both Blu-ray and the DVD set for this. So it has to have a upgraded video quality and some new extras for me to upgrade. Is it confirmed that one of the disc is a DVD and that it could be "the Future" DVD from the DVD set?
If I could get HD upgrade for that DVD, then I might upgrade, but if it is the same disc, then I really see no reason to upgrade.

Gizmo 07-11-11 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 10848387)
I wonder if they are finally going to include HD audio on the Blu release.

Probably just the same discs re-packaged.

mattysemo247 07-12-11 12:37 PM

Yep, I just read that on the press release. Why re release this again with no HD audio? I guess that just baffles me. That has been the one thing that has kept me from getting this.

zyzzle 07-13-11 10:35 PM

If this is a full re-encode at a higher bitrate on BD50s, then I'll buy it in a heartbeat. If it's the same encode and just a repackaging, how stupid and unnecessary this release will be.

Quake1028 07-14-11 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 10847290)
The blu-ray review for the original release states it's in 1080p, but the ads for these new releases state 1080i.

What gives?

I believe the originals were 1080i also.

slop101 07-14-11 10:39 AM

Yeah, I was wondering what was up with the 1080i when the last release was definitely 1080p.
Although for content originally shot on digital video, the difference between progressive and interlaced isn't as big as it is for content shot on film.

bunkaroo 07-14-11 11:16 AM

This just mad me realize, I've never watched the set to this day, Had to have it right away when it came out as it was a pretty high-profile Blu-ray release. Then it is just....sat.