Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-ray (Fall 2011)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-ray (Fall 2011)

Old 07-23-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-ray (Fall 2011)

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I understand the difficulty of remastering all the cartoons and appreciate people wanting random collections, but these historical cartoons need to be released chronologically. The Popeye sets and the upcoming Tom and Jerry blu-ray should be the standard for a classic cartoon release. Having said that, I'll probably buy this as I've bought all the previous releases but it's getting much more difficult to justify buying cartoons I've already bought. It's just disappointing that Warner hasn't been too forthcoming with information on their long term plans. I'm sure their plan is to milk us as long as they can and then unveil the Ultimate Collection.
Only thing is if they started with the early 1930's WB's, sales would be dismal IMO... interesting but one view and done for me on the Golden Age LD sets. Tom & Jerry and Popeye are different, the earlier the better, again IMO.
Old 07-23-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I checked and I think these are the ones not released to DVD previously. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill of Hare
Ducking the Devil
Hare-Way to the Stars
The Hasty Hare
Lovelorn Leghorn
Mad as a Mars Hare

...that is all...

I don't mind Warner releasing the best ones again on restored HD, but they should continue putting the un-released lesser shorts on DVD collections each year for fans who want them all.
LOVE Ducking The Devil, one of my all-time favs!
Old 07-24-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I understand the difficulty of remastering all the cartoons and appreciate people wanting random collections, but these historical cartoons need to be released chronologically. The Popeye sets and the upcoming Tom and Jerry blu-ray should be the standard for a classic cartoon release. Having said that, I'll probably buy this as I've bought all the previous releases but it's getting much more difficult to justify buying cartoons I've already bought. It's just disappointing that Warner hasn't been too forthcoming with information on their long term plans. I'm sure their plan is to milk us as long as they can and then unveil the Ultimate Collection.
Your point is completely valid, but bottom line is it all comes down to sales, and the current packaging maximizes the profitability potential. Not sure what the sales were on the "Golden Collections" - but I, like many others, avoided purchasing them because there weren't enough of my "favs" on each collection. This set, on the other hand, I ordered right away because it has a bunch of my favorites.
Old 07-24-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I'd rather a set like this be more of a random collection anyways. It's not like these shorts need to be viewed in any particular order or anything and I'd bet that most people probably watched these as kids in random order anyways. I know when I used to watch them it was always just a mix and I guess that's how I want the sets to be. Plus like others have said this will sell better most likely than if they were to release all the old ones so I'd rather they do it as a mixture so the sets sell better and more get released.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-24-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 06:44 PM

Tempted to preorder this, but it being a WB release means that it will be dirt cheap during Black Friday on the WBShop website.

Either way, looking forward to seeing if they clean this up as well as Disney cleans up it's toons from the same era.
Old 07-25-11, 07:39 PM

I'd much rather have a 'best-of-the-best' collection rather than chronological for this stuff. I hope that the censored 11 find their way out on blu-ray too...
Old 08-01-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volume 2 coming 10/16
Old 08-01-12, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Awesome. But will we get another shot glass? Or perhaps a flask this time.
Old 08-01-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping they spare us the overpriced trinkets and oversized packaging this time, but considering it's WB, I doubt that will be the case.
Old 08-01-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm hoping they spare us the overpriced trinkets and oversized packaging this time,
Why? They sold a solo release of Vol. 1.
Old 08-01-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's what I'm hoping for. I bought the digibook of the first one and hope they'll follow suit with some kind of non-swag version for the next one as well.
Old 08-01-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, didn't know that. Was that recently?
Old 08-02-12, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Sorry, didn't know that. Was that recently?
They released the swag and non-swag versions on the same day.
Old 08-02-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They released the swag and non-swag versions on the same day.
I guess I was only aware of the shot-glass and bulky box edition, which I bought when it was a Deal of the Day. I'll just go for the (presumed) regular digibook of volume two then, even though I have yet to finish watching volume one. I do enjoy classic cartoons, I just can't take more than a few at a time.
Old 08-02-12, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'll have to buy the bulky version with the junk, so I can keep my drinking habit up.
Old 08-02-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just ordered Vol. 1 and will get Vol. 2 after the price comes down. Wish WB would have done like Disney did for the Treasures Collections. But their characters cross paths too many times.
Old 08-02-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
I just ordered Vol. 1 and will get Vol. 2 after the price comes down. Wish WB would have done like Disney did for the Treasures Collections. But their characters cross paths too many times.
I think that would be a terrible way to handle Looney Tunes. LT shorts are so repetitive that random is the only way to go. The first couple Golden Collections were kinda like the Treasures and I never watched them because it got old watching all Bugs, or all Road Runner shorts.
Old 08-03-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I think that would be a terrible way to handle Looney Tunes. LT shorts are so repetitive that random is the only way to go. The first couple Golden Collections were kinda like the Treasures and I never watched them because it got old watching all Bugs, or all Road Runner shorts.
I have to agree, I bought all the Disney Treasures, but when I watch them I can only do a few before I get sick of the character.

Same with Looney Tunes, I grew up watching those on Saturday mornings and they were always mixed.
Old 08-03-12, 02:08 PM

The problem with doing it randomly is you certainly get cartoons you don't want, whether it is a character you don't like, or the black and white cartoons or whatever. If they had done something like the Disney Treasures series, they might have been able to release complete collections for a lot of their characters. The earlier cartoons, the one-shots and the lesser known cartoons might have gotten lost in the shuffle though. I think because they have so many cartoons, it's hard to figure out the right way to do it.
Old 08-03-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
The problem with doing it randomly is you certainly get cartoons you don't want, whether it is a character you don't like, or the black and white cartoons or whatever. If they had done something like the Disney Treasures series, they might have been able to release complete collections for a lot of their characters. The earlier cartoons, the one-shots and the lesser known cartoons might have gotten lost in the shuffle though. I think because they have so many cartoons, it's hard to figure out the right way to do it.
I think their thinking is you sell more by mixing them up.
Old 08-04-12, 10:08 AM

Cover art for Volume 2. Looks like no digibook packaging or a UCE this time.

Old 08-04-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they don't release a matching Digibook for Volume 2, I'm gonna be flippin' angry like Yosemite Sam!
Speaking of which: there isn't a single Yosemite Sam cartoon on Volume 2
Old 08-04-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I understand the random cartoon fans, but I really want chronological sets starting from the beginning.
Old 08-04-12, 10:30 PM

I understand the random cartoon fans, but I really want chronological sets starting from the beginning.
Me too. I think it's a great way to see how the studio evolves over the years. However, I would probably do it like the Dark Shadows DVD releases, which started with the first appearance of Barnabas Collins and released the earlier episodes later. In this case, I'd probably start with A Wild Hare (Bugs Bunny's first appearance). While this would mean not getting the early Daffy and Porky cartoons until later, A Wild Hare seems like the most logical starting point that would make the series successful.
Old 08-07-12, 06:55 PM

Just FYI, it's been confirmed that "Hare-Um Scare-Um" will have it's full original ending, unseen for many years!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.