DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition 6.1 DTS (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/592354-lord-rings-extended-edition-6-1-dts.html)

RichyK 07-03-11 05:52 AM

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition 6.1 DTS

Hi all,

I have just bought LOTR Extended Edition on Bluray and the packaging states it has 6.1 sound. I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V567 7.1 channel amp, and it is detecting the signal from the movie as being 5.1, not 6.1. It plays The Golden Compass fine at 7.1, so I'm wondering if a) the packaging is wrong although all the reviews state 6.1 or b) my amp isn't smart enough to send the 6th channel to the two surround back speakers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Richy

Solid Snake 07-03-11 08:33 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition 6.1 DTS

Have you checked..the...audio selection?

Giles 07-03-11 09:04 AM

I'm confused, do you have a 7.1 setup or a 6.1 setup? and yes, as Solid Snake PAC noted because there are numerous audio programs on the LOTR EE's you do have to manually set the audio selection

RichyK 07-03-11 05:08 PM

I have a 7.1 speaker setup. I checked the sound options on the LOTR and all they give you is a choice of language, so I chose English. My Bluray player tells me it is DTS-Master but won't tell me more than that. The amp tells me it is 5.1 and the two surround back speakers are silent. I've now found out that if I put the amp into Dolby PLIIx Movie the two speakers come to life, but when the amp is in autodetect mode they are silent. I'm not sure what the PLIIx mode is actually doing to the sound, I'd rather hear the actual sound from the player than a simulated one.

RichyK 07-03-11 05:09 PM

I should add that I'm in Australia, so I'm talking about the Australian release, but that shouldn't make any difference.

RocShemp 07-03-11 07:07 PM

Weren't the TC's encoded as 6.1 matrix (which causes some AV equipment to register them as 5.1)? Perhaps the same is ocurring with the EE release?

RichyK 07-04-11 04:13 AM

Does this mean I have to use the following setting on my amp, perhaps?

Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Digital Surround EX 1999 non-discrete 6.1 or 7.1 (5.1 with Center Rear matrixed onto SL & SR) FL FR C SL SR (with matrixed RearMono) SUB [non-discrete 7.1: BackLeft and BackRight]

Richy

mft 07-04-11 07:48 AM

I do not know whether this could be the case for your system, but in my BD player I have to turn off the secondary audio stream if I want to listen to HD primary audio. When the secondary audio stream is on, the player only uses the standard track embedded in the HD primary audio stream (which in this case could be DTS 5.1).

RichyK 07-04-11 05:00 PM

Thanks, I will check that option out tonight, however, it's unlikely as The Golden Compass is 7.1 and my amp detected that fine. Unless it's because LOTR is matrixed 6.1

slimdude 07-04-11 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RichyK (Post 10840714)
I have a 7.1 speaker setup. I checked the sound options on the LOTR and all they give you is a choice of language, so I chose English. My Bluray player tells me it is DTS-Master but won't tell me more than that. The amp tells me it is 5.1 and the two surround back speakers are silent. I've now found out that if I put the amp into Dolby PLIIx Movie the two speakers come to life, but when the amp is in autodetect mode they are silent. I'm not sure what the PLIIx mode is actually doing to the sound, I'd rather hear the actual sound from the player than a simulated one.

You shouldn't have to change the soundfield to Dolby PLIIx, to output DTS-HD 6.1 MA audio. I don't have the LOTR EE on blu-ray, only the theatrical versions, but the audio specifications on both releases should be the same, and I've listened to DTS-HD 6.1 MA on all three movies.

RichyK 07-05-11 05:05 AM

Thanks mft, it was exactly what you said, the secondary audio stream. It was an option I wasn't aware of (and hadn't needed til now anyway). My amp now says 3/3/0.1 for the sound signal and the surround back speakers are active.

Cheers to all :)

Giles 07-05-11 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by slimdude (Post 10841733)
You shouldn't have to change the soundfield to Dolby PLIIx, to output DTS-HD 6.1 MA audio. I don't have the LOTR EE on blu-ray, only the theatrical versions, but the audio specifications on both releases should be the same, and I've listened to DTS-HD 6.1 MA on all three movies.

for the record, The EE's are discrete 6.1, the theatrical soundmixes are 6.1 'matrix' and the difference is very noticeable - check out Eowyn and the Witch King scene in 'Return' - the center rear is much more prominent and aggressive