Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

Old 05-01-20, 06:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

^Yeah fellas, just had to preorder the Lenzi/Baker set yesterday as 2 or 3 of the films have been ripe for a release for a while. Of course, like a lot of people I just recently got the 88 version of Quiet Place, so now I will have both the US and UK releases. Coincidentally enough I also bought the individual release of Knife of Ice from France which just shipped yesterday, so much for not double-dipping! I’ve had major wood for Carroll Baker for a while now so pretty much anything of hers that gets released is getting bought by
me.

Hoping to see a shipping notification for the Adamson set soon as I hear they are starting to ship.

Old 05-02-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I really wanted the Adamson set too, but it was far too money to roll the dice on something that big, that could be so shot through with QC issues. It's bizarre to me that that kind of proposition could sell out so fast pre-release, let alone in this kind of economic environment. Would still love to see some of that schlock, but I guess I'll need to wait for some smaller sampling sets to be released. I can't imagine a small outfit like would put all that work into the material, just to release it in one configuration.
The only QC issues I predict with the Adamson set is the fact that they bothered to put Al Adamson movies on Blu-rays. Based on Severin's track record, though, I'd imagine they'll be careful with it otherwise. I'm sure there will be individual releases, too. They did that with the Blood Island and Hemisphere Horrors boxed sets (and probably others I'm forgetting). Each of those had one exclusive disc that hasn't been re-issued, but the rest are available as singles. In the Adamson box, I don't see anything marked as a boxed set exclusive, so it's inevitable that they'll release a series of 'double features' using the same content configurations as the box.

Hack though he was, it's a shame Adamson didn't live into the DVD era. No doubt he would've done commentaries and interviews for most of his films, which could've been ported over. Still, Sam Sherman's commentaries are pretty good.
Old 05-03-20, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T
The only QC issues I predict with the Adamson set is the fact that they bothered to put Al Adamson movies on Blu-rays. Based on Severin's track record, though, I'd imagine they'll be careful with it otherwise. I'm sure there will be individual releases, too. They did that with the Blood Island and Hemisphere Horrors boxed sets (and probably others I'm forgetting). Each of those had one exclusive disc that hasn't been re-issued, but the rest are available as singles. In the Adamson box, I don't see anything marked as a boxed set exclusive, so it's inevitable that they'll release a series of 'double features' using the same content configurations as the box.

Hack though he was, it's a shame Adamson didn't live into the DVD era. No doubt he would've done commentaries and interviews for most of his films, which could've been ported over. Still, Sam Sherman's commentaries are pretty good.
I love Sam Sherman’s commentaries also, almost like taking a short film school class, very information packed! It’s a shame that so many of them are partial commentaries, that is, many of them run for only 50-60 minutes of the movie.

Old 05-03-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone
I love Sam Sherman’s commentaries also, almost like taking a short film school class, very information packed! It’s a shame that so many of them are partial commentaries, that is, many of them run for only 50-60 minutes of the movie.
I don't know about that. I prefer when they have zero dead air and just get to the point. When Matt & Trey started doing mini-commentaries for South Park, it was the best thing (though sometimes they went way to short). I prefer those over long spots of dead air or people just describing what you are watching onscreen.
Old 05-04-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I don't know about that. I prefer when they have zero dead air and just get to the point. When Matt & Trey started doing mini-commentaries for South Park, it was the best thing (though sometimes they went way to short). I prefer those over long spots of dead air or people just describing what you are watching onscreen.
Even though they're short, the Sherman commentaries are always a great listen, and his memory (at least when he recorded most of these for earlier DVDs) seemed as sharp as a tack. His tracks, btw, weren't 50-60 minutes spread out over the full length of the film, they just run that long in their entirety, and then he'd sign off, usually, because he'd said all he could possibly say (which is still quite a lot). Not much dead air, as I recall. And considering the films in his catalog are pretty dire, it's amazing that he could stay interesting and relevant for as long as he did.
Old 05-08-20, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Severin’s adding a nice-sounding little bonus for all buyers of the Lenzi/Baker set, according to their social media:
Big news! We've managed to procure the infamous original SO SWEET... SO PERVERSE 57-page foto-comic & we've created replica copies (translated into English) to give out to EVERY customer that orders the Lenzi/Baker Box Set and Lenzi/Baker Bundle from our webstore
Old 05-08-20, 05:45 AM

Severin’s adding a nice-sounding little bonus for all buyers of the Lenzi/Baker set, according to their social media:
Coolness! Makes me anticipate this even more!
Old 05-08-20, 08:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I was going to skip this one, but that extra is going to make it hard to resist.
Old 05-17-20, 05:09 AM

Looks like a disc in the new Adamson set is proving to be faulty, seems to affect all copies of the set. Severin is working on a replacement program.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?...d=139375155037
Old 05-27-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

It looks like the 5/26 titles, like The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh and Horrors of Spider Island, are going to miss their release date by at least a short while.
Old 06-26-20, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Severin's Mid-Year Sale is live but the website is getting (obviously) thrashed.
Old 06-26-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

They just posted on their social media that they got hit by a DDOS attack and have canceled the sale.
Old 06-26-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They just posted on their social media that they got hit by a DDOS attack and have canceled the sale.
What the fuck? What the hell is wrong with people?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-03-21)
Old 06-26-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What the fuck? What the hell is wrong with people?
Some people simply want to see the world burn.
Old 06-26-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's not canceled, the site is closed while they figure out a way to handle the heavy traffic. And I seriously doubt it was a DDoS attack, it was a bunch of customers refreshing as soon as the site went live because there were such limited amounts of remaining box sets and bundles. Their site has always crashed and burned when they do a sale like this and they've made no attempt to improve their infrastructure.

Vinegar Syndrome went through similar issues when their sales began to get more popular, so they upgraded their website. That's why it's down for two weeks before the sale. Severin seems to have copied that formula but not actually do site upgrades, instead just trying to build hype for their sale, which turned out to be a disaster.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-03-21)
Old 06-26-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The site will come back online at midnight tonight(EST) to continue the sale.
Old 06-27-20, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The site is down again. It still can't handle the traffic. Severin is asking folks to email their orders in.
Old 06-27-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup! Screenshots for pricing are up on their Facebook page.

Their statement on Facebook (8 hours ago):

Well despite our best efforts and money put into upgrading the site in the past few weeks, it's fucked. Until traffic and refreshing subsides apparently the site will not function. Our host is suggesting DDOS again but, whatever it is, it ain’t working. So here’s what we suggest if you want to order from the sale tonight:

Email your order to [email protected]

Include items that may have been listed as OOP. We will not charge if we do not have the stock. And we will fulfill on a first come first served basis. There are still bundles but stock is getting lower as, it may be hard to believe, a number of orders were able to come through tonight but we still have plenty of all the Fulci and Franco and even some Franky & His Pals so order if you still want them, we will break up the bundles if you need a Franky until all 1000 are sold. Include your catalog and merch items too and we will generate an invoice.

Edit: Please include shipping and billing addresses along with your order. FYI you don't need to send payment info with your order but it will help if you email from the address you use for paypal or if not then put your paypal email address in the email so we can generate an invoice. Either way we will email you with an invoice in the coming days. If you have sent the email, you can go to bed. Sleep tight.

Until the site gets back up and running this is how will we take orders. We will be extending the sale further also once the site is back up. What a fucking nightmare. Sorry everyone.
Old 08-28-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Cruel Jaws...!
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
John Pannozzi (05-03-21), Spiderbite (08-28-20)
Old 08-28-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a great trio of releases for September. I might have to pick up all three.
Old 08-28-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wanted to see Cruel Jaws. Heard a ton about it but have never seen it.

And I can give a for Massacre In Dinosaur Valley. It is a lot of fun! Lots of boobs, terrible acting and bad action with a fun story.
Old 09-02-20, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Just ordered Cruel Jaws and Massacre In Dinosaur Valley. I know it was six bucks but I had to get that Jaws 5 slipcover. Also got the toilet seat cover for my submarine bathroom. That’ll look great.
Old 09-16-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The Black Cat

From Luigi Cozzi – the writer/director of STARCRASH, CONTAMINATION and PAGANINI HORROR – comes the over-the-top meta-shocker about a production company filming a new sequel to one of ‘70s Italian horror’s best-known classics and the resurrected supernatural demon that may destroy them all. Caroline Munro (MANIAC), Brett Halsey (THE DEVIL’S HONEY), Florence Guérin (BLACK VENUS) and Urbano Barberini (OPERA) star in this long-unseen fan favorite – originally released in Italy as DEMONS 6 – now transferred in 2k from pristine vault elements for the first time ever.
Shock Treatment

French film legends Alain Delon (PURPLE NOON, LE SAMOURAÏ) and Annie Girardot (ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, THE PIANO TEACHER) star in the 1972 thriller from writer/director Alain Jessua (ARMAGUEDON, THE DOGS) that became a cause célèbre of international cinema: When a career woman (Girardot) checks into the exclusive seaside clinic of a doctor (Delon) famed for his unorthodox rejuvenation treatments, she’ll discover a nightmare of bourgeois depravities, medical atrocities and the eye-popping full-frontal nudity that sparked worldwide headlines. Robert Hirsch (HIVER 54, L'ABBÉ PIERRE), Michel Duchaussoy (MESRINE) and Jeanne Colletin (EMMANUELLE) co-star in this “political allegory fashioned as a horror story”(Time Out) – released in the UK as DOCTOR IN THE NUDE – now scanned uncut in 2k from the original interpositive.
Patrick Still Lives

Shortly after the Ozploitation shocker PATRICK became a worldwide hit, producer Gabriele Crisanti (BURIAL GROUND), screenwriter Piero Regnoli (NIGHTMARE CITY) and director Mario Landi (GIALLO IN VENICE) went way beyond ‘unofficial sequel’ or ‘unauthorized remake’ to instead create this “mind-boggling example of Italian exploitation that has to be seen to be believed” (Moria): When a young man becomes comatose after a freak accident, his father invites six strangers to a secluded villa for a weekend packed with relentless nudity, outrageous violence and perhaps the most depraved sex/gore death in all of Italian horror. Sacha Pitoëff (INFERNO), Gianni Dei (MANHATTAN GIGOLO) and Mariangela Giordano (MALABIMBA) star in “one of the most ultimate exploitation films ever made” (Monster Pictures), now scanned uncut in 2k from the original negative for the very first time in 40 years.
I'm definitely interested in Patrick Still Lives.
Old 09-18-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I'm trying to think if I've seen that Black Cat. Rings a bell but I forget if I caught it on DVD.
Old 11-19-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks pretty cool...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.