Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Woah... I completely misinterpreted your review. Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, 16.6 gb for an 89-minute feature, and an average video encode nearly of 22 mbps isn't really that bad at all. In fact, it's downright great compared to some recent catalog releases I've had the (displeasure) of buying without researching the BDInfo stats beforehand. For a truly horrible example, Frank Perry's spellbinding DAVID AND LISA was just released, and the 95-minute feature was encoded in only 11 Gigs! And we had around 8 gigs of wasted space on the BD25, and a feature that was ruined by an attrociously soft video look and compression artifacts running wild...

And, that of course makes the other comments I rather harshly made, irrelevant, and I apologize for calling you out needlessly... In fact, after seeing the additional evidence you've seen fit to provide in the links above, I now state unequivocally, that you are *my* type of reviewer, who does seem to call a spade a spade.
David and Lisa was apparently a botch job by the authoring house. Scorpion is looking into what options are comercially viable and possible re any fix.
Old 05-15-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Head's up:

The DVD's gone OOP as well.
Thanks for the info. I placed an order for it.
Old 07-28-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

TURKEY SHOOT coming to Blu-Ray on 9/8/15!

https://severin-films.com/shop/turkey-shoot-blu-ray/
Old 11-23-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Had to dig a bit to find this thread it's been so long, but Severin has announced the 1981 Australian film THE SURVIVOR for January 10, 2017, with some nice bonus materials (though not the Antony Ginnane commentary from the old Scorpion DVD):

Press Release:
When a 747 crash lands in a Sydney suburb – a still-spectacular sequence that helped make this the most expensive Australian film of its time – the inferno kills everyone on board except the pilot (Robert Powell of JESUS OF NAZARETH and TOMMY), who emerges from the wreckage miraculously unscathed. But as a local psychic (Jenny Agutter of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON) begins to communicate with the spirits of the doomed passengers, it will unlock a nightmare of madness, murder, and supernatural horror.

Hollywood legend Joseph Cotten – in his final film performance – co-stars in this shocker directed by British film icon David Hemmings (BLOW-UP, DEEP RED) and produced by Ozploitation maverick Antony I. Ginnane (THIRST, PATRICK, TURKEY SHOOT), featuring haunting cinematography by Academy Award winner John Seale (THE ENGLISH PATIENT, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD) and now transferred in 2k HD for the first time ever.

Look for it January 10, 2017.

Special Features:

Not Quite Hollywood – Extended Interviews with Producer Antony I. Ginnane and Cinematographer John Seale
The Legacy of James Herbert
Robert Powell on James Herbert
Archive TV Special On Location – Featuring Interviews with Stars Joseph Cotten and Peter Sumner
Archive TV Interview with David Hemmings
Archive TV Interview with David Hemmings and Robert Powell
Antony I. Ginnane Trailer Reel
TV Spot
Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ofrHCKRJqcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailers from Hell version (with Brian Trenchard-Smith)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a-0hSPvou3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Behind the scenes footage from stuntman Dean Bennett, who apparently became a stuntman after working (apprenticing?) on this show. Doesn't seem like Severin included this, or perhaps was unaware of it:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EKRdTTc3SPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-22-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

The Amicus Collection

Known as ‘The Studio That Dripped Blood’, the British film company Amicus Productions – founded by American writer/producers Max J. Rosenberg and Milton Subotsky – built a legacy of horror anthologies and twisted thrillers that remains among the very best genre movies of the ‘70s. In this trio of Amicus classics – featuring stars that include Peter Cushing, Herbert Lom, Britt Ekland, Patrick Magee, Stephanie Beacham, Calvin Lockhart, Michael Gambon and Charlotte Rampling – you’ll discover the studio’s legendary portmanteau ASYLUM, their insane gothic shocker AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, and – exclusive to this set – the infamous werewolf whodunit THE BEAST MUST DIE, as well as a Bonus Disc of Amicus trailers, TV commercials, rare interviews and more. The Amicus Collection is a Limited Edition, and Numbered to 3500 copies. This Box Set is also available in The Amicus Bundle along with a T-shirt, the Amicus Book, 4 Enamel Pin Set, and a Picture Frame.
Old 06-11-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Severin tweeted a new release for Aug. 7 last week:
https://severin-films.com/shop/the-c...ing-le-bluray/

Description

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS THE LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURING CD SOUNDTRACK AND SLIPCOVER

THE 1980 HORROR CLASSIC

FULLY RESTORED IN HD

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN AMERICA

It is perhaps the most chilling supernatural thriller of our time. It remains a career peak for star George C. Scott and director Peter Medak (THE RULING CLASS, THE KRAYS). Now the film that Martin Scorsese calls “one of the scariest movies ever made” finally comes to Blu-ray: Academy Award® winner Scott delivers “one of his greatest performances ever” (BloodyGoodHorror.com) as a Manhattan composer consumed by grief after his wife and daughter are killed in a shocking accident. But when he moves to a secluded Victorian mansion, he will find himself haunted by a paranormal entity that may unleash an even more disturbing secret. Trish Van Devere (THE HEARSE), two-time Oscar® winner Melvyn Douglas (BEING THERE) and Barry Morse (ASYLUM) co-star in “one of the most unsettling ghost stories ever” (IFC.com), winner of 8 Genie Awards – including Best Foreign Actor, Best Foreign Actress and Best Canadian Film – and based on actual events.

Special Features:

- Audio Commentary With Director Peter Medak and Producer Joel B. Michaels Moderated By Severin Films’ David Gregory
- The House On Cheesman Park: The Haunting True Story Of The Changeling
- The Music Of The Changeling: Interview With Music Arranger Kenneth Wannberg
- Building The House Of Horror: Interview With Art Director Reuben Freed
- The Psychotronic Tourist: The Changeling
- Master of Horror Mick Garris On The Changeling
- Poster & Still Gallery
- Trailer
- TV Spot

PLEASE NOTE: THE LIMITED EDITION CHANGELING BLU-RAY IS ALSO INCLUDED IN THE CHANGELING BUNDLE ALONG WITH LE 18X24 SCREEN PRINTED POSTER, ENAMEL PIN AND REPLICA BALL.
Apparently Second Sight is releasing this in the U.K. around the same time (Region B at the moment), only with a 40-page booklet instead of the U.S. swag and CD:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-11-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

They are also releasing a Limited Edition of Combat Shock on 6/22/18

Spoiler:
Old 06-13-18, 10:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So the regular $21 version on Amazon is same bluray but without doo dads right?
Old 08-15-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-15-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Good job, Severin! Nice to see a company step up and rectify the situation in a quick fashion for a change.

I ordered the SS so I'm hoping the delay meant that they corrected the issue after discovering it.

Interesting about the soundtrack cd glitch, as my two disc retail version also has some glitchy track(s?) at the end of one of the discs. I assumed it was just another rip error which seems to happen with more frequency when the cd is up past 70 minutes of content.

Would be nice if the SS has that corrected also.
Old 10-01-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I want this:

Available Oct. 30, 2018.

They’ve been called “defiantly lurid” (1000MisspentHours.com), “delightfully depraved” (FlickAttack.com) and “blood-soaked & naked broad-filled” (MrSkin.com). Their cult of fans is worldwide. And for more than fifty years, these four monster shockers from Filipino directors Gerry de Leon and Eddie Romero have stunned drive-in, grindhouse and VHS audiences, became the foundation of infamous exploitation distributors Hemisphere Pictures and Independent-International, and remain among the most insane/esteemed classics in horror history. Severin Films is now proud to present The BLOOD ISLAND Trilogy and its celebrated prequel, all featuring uncut scans from recently discovered film elements and oozing with all-new Special Features!

Terror is a Man Special Features:

Man Becomes Creature: Interview with Hemisphere Marketing Consultant Samuel M. Sherman
Dawn of Blood Island: Interview with Co-Director Eddie Romero
Terror Creature: Interview with Pete Tombs, Co-Author of “Immoral Tales”
When the Bell Rings: Interview with Critic Mark Holcomb
Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery
Reversible BLOOD CREATURE Cover

Brides of Blood Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Hemisphere Marketing Consultant Samuel M. Sherman
Jungle Fury: Archival Interview with Co-Director Eddie Romero
Here Comes the Bride: Interview with Hemisphere Marketing Consultant Samuel M. Sherman
Beverly Hills on Blood Island: Interview with Actress Beverly Powers a.k.a. Beverly Hills
Alternate BRIDES OF BLOOD ISLAND Title Sequence and JUNGLE FURY Title Card
Teaser Trailer
Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery
Reversible ISLAND OF LIVING HORROR Cover

Mad Doctor of Blood Island Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Horror Film Historians Nathaniel Thompson and Howard S. Berger
Tombs of the Living Dead: Interview with Pete Tombs, Co-Author of “Immoral Tales”
A Taste of Blood: Interview with Critic Mark Holcomb
The Mad Doctor of Blood Island: Archival Interview with Co-Director Eddie Romero
Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery
Bonus Disc: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD (in box set only)
Reversible TOMB OF THE LIVING DEAD Cover

Beast of Blood [Available ONLY in Box Set] Special Features:

Celeste and the Beast: An Interview with Celeste Yarnall
Dr. Lorca’s Blood Devils: Interview with Actor Eddie Garcia
Super 8 Digest Version
Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery

Our Special Edition Blood Island Collection is also available at a discounted price in our brand new exclusive Blood Island Collection themed Bundle, the Blood Oath Bundle.
Old 10-01-18, 09:30 PM

I don’t know what that hell that is, but I want too. I love Severin releases...
Old 10-01-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For any Cinematic Titanic fans, you've seen Brides of Blood under the title Danger on Tiki Island.
Old 10-02-18, 05:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

^For those who don't know, the Blood Island films are a series of cheaply made, trashy Filipino horror films made in the late 50s/early 60s, most of them starring ex teen idol John Ashley. I have the old full screen DVDs of all of these movies, and just might upgrade to this set if the price is right, i.e.: sub $50 or so.
Old 10-02-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It's $59.99 on Severin's site. Diabolik has it for a hair less at $56.99. I'm not sure any other retailers have picked it up yet.
Old 10-02-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone
^For those who don't know, the Blood Island films are a series of cheaply made, trashy Filipino horror films made in the late 50s/early 60s, most of them starring ex teen idol John Ashley. I have the old full screen DVDs of all of these movies, and just might upgrade to this set if the price is right, i.e.: sub $50 or so.

Were all of those made in English? I am not too crazy about sub-titles but poored English dub's would be a plus.
Old 10-03-18, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Were all of those made in English? I am not too crazy about sub-titles but poored English dub's would be a plus.
Yep, all are in English. In these films most of the principle actors are American, but most all of the native Filipinos speak English as well. No subtitles at all to deal with.
Old 10-03-18, 06:04 AM

I've been reading the specs of this set a little closer, and I'm surprised that Severin does not list the aspect ratios of the films. I'm assuming all will be OAR since it sounds like they're dealing with original negatives, but it is curious to me why they aren't listed. BTW, the OARs should be 1.37:1 for Terror is a Man and 1.85:1 for the other 3 (this is according to IMDb, and does seem correct to me)

All in all I'm pretty jazzed about this set coming out and I'm surely going to get it, now I just wish the price would drop another $10 or so.
Old 10-03-18, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The fourth, Terror Is A Man, is different and is indistinguishable from low budget Hollywood made fare from AIP or Allied Artists.
You can't tell it wasn't US made if you didn't know better.
If you like the lower budget, late 50s B stuff, you'll like it. I have the Warner Archive BDs of From Hell It Came and The Cyclops. This movie is waaay better.
If it was available separate I'd get it. The other three just aren't my bag so I'll pass on the set.
Old 10-03-18, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm assuming all will be OAR since it sounds like they're dealing with original negatives
I'm sure they'll be OAR as well. Being annoyingly nitpicky again, it looks like only one of the films could be sourced from the original negative:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fseverinfilms%2Fposts%2F10161004762500038&width=500" width="500" height="638" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Old 10-03-18, 10:27 AM

^Regarding the aspect ratios, the following is the official word from Severin on FB, and reaffirms that I don't know shit!

"Aspect ratio on all is 1.33:1. We consulted many experts on this including the original distributor and several people very familiar with these movies and the technicalities of aspect ratios. While they were shot for the US market, way too much picture information is cropped at 1.85:1. 1.66:1 is not typically a US theatrical ratio so all the experts agreed they were best left at 1.33:1".

Also, something else I didn't know before is this box set is limited to 3500 units. I guess I'll really have to think hard on whether it's worth the $60 asking price.
Old 10-08-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Terror Is A Man is being sold separately if that's all you want. Listing at Amazon.
Old 10-10-18, 09:05 PM

got my replacement for The Changeling today. forgot what was wrong with it and that i even did it...
Old 10-11-18, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
got my replacement for The Changeling today. forgot what was wrong with it and that i even did it...
Word on the street is (and by "the street" I mean the forum at blu ray dot com) the Changeling replacement Blu has more problems than the 1st version. Some are going as far as to say it was a botched effort. Most people who've commented on it there say the 1st version is still the one to watch.

Also, I just saw this posted at DVDCompare:

UPDATE (10/10/18): When fixing the audio, Severin did a new encode of the video and inadvertently used their copy of the master pre-cleanup of the scratches and cue marks present on the negative. Check back here for any response.

Sounds like the newest disc still has lots of scratches and cigarette burns, perhaps they inadvertently skipped a step or 2. Haven't seen it myself so who knows.

Last edited by slybone; 10-11-18 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fixed 2 grammatical errors.
Old 10-11-18, 06:01 PM

Word on the street is (and by "the street" I mean the forum at blu ray dot com) the Changeling replacement Blu has more problems than the 1st version. Some are going as far as to say it was a botched effort. Most people who've commented on it there say the 1st version is still the one to watch.

Also, I just saw this posted at DVDCompare:

UPDATE (10/10/18): When fixing the audio, Severin did a new encode of the video and inadvertently used their copy of the master pre-cleanup of the scratches and cue marks present on the negative. Check back here for any response.

Sounds like the newest disc still has lots of scratches and cigarette burns, perhaps they inadvertently skipped a step or 2. Haven't seen it myself so who knows.
oh man. thanks for posting, had no idea. was going to give other to a friend. wow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.