Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween II -- 9/13/11

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Halloween II -- 9/13/11

Old 05-21-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halloween II -- 9/13/11

From Bloody Disgusting:
Granted they're hardly candidates for the AFI Top 100 Horror Films Of All Time (well, I'd argue III is...), but it's painful how poorly the majority of the Halloween sequels have been treated on DVD, most of them given lousy transfers and/or bare-bones presentations. H20, for example, promises an audio commentary that doesn't actually appear on the disc, and the recent Blu-ray release from Echo Bridge isn't even at the right aspect ratio. Well, Universal owns the first two sequels, and this fall they will be released on Blu-ray - however they will once again be sans bonus material. The real crime, however, is that this time, brand new bonus material ALREADY EXISTS. Read on for details...

Last fall, A&E's Bio channel aired "Halloween: The Inside Story", which assembled pretty much every living principal from the original Halloween, plus some sequel personnel and experts like BadAssDigest's Devin Faraci and, er, me (billed as a "Film Historian"!). Director Phil Nobile intended to cover the sequels in a bit more depth than ended up in the final cut, and thus he got a lot of lengthy interviews SPECIFICALLY on Halloween II and III from Jamie Lee Curtis, John Carpenter, Dean Cundey, Rick Rosenthal and Tommy Lee Wallace. Not only is it rare to get these folks on camera discussing Halloween at all (especially Carpenter, who's just plain talked out on the subject after 30 years), but you have to go back to the time of their release to get ANY of them talking about the sequels in more than passing. So obviously, these interviews - which again, are already shot and edited - would be a true blessing for fans.

In addition to these interviews, there's a lot of footage of Wallace (and myself) doing a Q&A at the New Beverly Cinema at last fall's screening of Halloween III, as well as separate interviews with fans that were in attendance, talking about the film's unusual place in the Halloween series and how it's finally starting to gain appreciation. Plus, Wallace had also agreed to record a new audio commentary for the film. However, when Nobile brought all of this material to Universal for possible inclusion on their planned new Blu-ray discs, they gave him a polite "no thanks". According to Nobile, "their priority is upping picture and sound and 'carrying over' existing bonus features", even though there ARE no existing bonus features. These two films have been released on disc 2-3 times already and there's never been anything beyond some minor "production notes" and the trailers. Halloween II in fact has a different cut of the film that sometimes airs on television (it includes a happier ending in which Jimmy the ambulance driver survives), but none of that material has ever been included on a legitimate release of the film.

So once again, the fans lose out. Nobile says it best: "Though parts of these interviews turned up on Bio's website as 2-minute "webisodes," as a fan it's kind of heartbreaking to know that the full interviews won't be preserved with the films, let alone ever seen by fans." And Universal loses out too; with disc sales ever dwindling due to Netflix streaming and similar options, providing interesting and NEW bonus material is the only surefire way to sell a decent amount of discs. Granted, the improved picture and sound will be nice, but are the majority of fans going to drop 20-30 bucks on a new disc just for an improved transfer? Especially when they've probably already bought these films a couple times before? I know I sure as hell won't; I'll wait until the used DVD store is having a "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale, activity that doesn't put any coin into Universal's pockets.

Hopefully it won't come to that. October is a long way off, so maybe they will come to their senses and realize that including material that already exists (they don't even have to do anything!!! It's already there!) will translate into bigger sales for their discs. If you'd like, send a POLITE email HERE and tell them that you want to see proper special editions for Halloween II and III.
Too bad about the lack of extras. I'm wondering where the writer gets "20-30 bucks" from, but I don't plan on paying more than $12 for a bare-bones Blu-ray. Time to track down that A & E doc.

Last edited by NoirFan; 05-21-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
re: Halloween II -- 9/13/11

Sucks that there won't be any extras, but whatever I'd like to own at least the first two films (still haven't gotten around to getting the first).
Old 05-21-11, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Until Universal announces them, I won't hold my breath for these. Halloween II I can see since it could be a decent seller, but III? Unless this is going to be a double-pack, I'm really surprised Universal would even bother with either of these films unless they plan on going low-budget and/or having another studio handle these releases. Very un-Universal to release these films without some sort of tie-in. Maybe Anchor Bay will finally get around to release 4 and 5.

And damn...we'd actually have all of them on Blu-ray. Still waiting for the rest of the F13s and ANOES.
Old 05-21-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

III has been talked up a bit lately in that people get the "No Myers" concept and just look at it as a horror flick. I would definitely jump at a blu-ray with bonus features, first day but no features? I'd wait for a bargain bin.
Old 05-21-11, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

III has a pretty big following.... even if it is the blacksheep and bombed theatrically. I saw a 35mm print (along with Terror in the Aisles) last october and everyone had a blast.

As far as the news, I'm happy to get them on blu, but seriously... when are these movies going to get the special treatment they deserve? fuck, I really wish anchor bay had the rights to all the movies, so we could just get one big kick ass box set.
Old 05-21-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
As far as the news, I'm happy to get them on blu, but seriously... when are these movies going to get the special treatment they deserve? fuck, I really wish anchor bay had the rights to all the movies, so we could just get one big kick ass box set.
AB doesn't seem to have much interest in releasing their catalog titles on Blu-ray, other than Romero and Raimi.
Old 05-21-11, 10:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
AB doesn't seem to have much interest in releasing their catalog titles on Blu-ray, other than Romero and Raimi.
Yeah, they've been pretty lax with catalog unless it's a tie-in (I Spit..)
Old 05-22-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this in addition to the commentary Rosenthal reportedly recorded a long time ago for the Collector's Edition of Halloween II that never materialized.
Old 05-22-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

please please please release these
Old 05-22-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Would love to see the tv version of Halloween 2 on the blu-ray. Not sure if there was a tv version of part 3 or not.
Old 05-22-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

This will probably end up as a two-pack in the bargin bin.

It's too bad a special edition has been tied up distribution conflicts of who owns what.

I think Universal only has rights to the theatrical version in North American and Dino DeLauentis (co-producer) owns all of the other the material. I figure Universal could still put something more together like an audio commentary, documentary featurette etc.

I'll wait this one out until there's a Special Edition.
Old 05-22-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The linked Bloody-Disgusting piece has a link to send Universal an e-mail. Probably won't do jack but it can't hurt to send them a polite note asking them to reconsider. I think you should include the BD link as well, so they know everyone is asking for the same materials.
Old 05-22-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the Universal contact link.
Old 05-22-11, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The linked Bloody-Disgusting piece has a link to send Universal an e-mail. Probably won't do jack but it can't hurt to send them a polite note asking them to reconsider. I think you should include the BD link as well, so they know everyone is asking for the same materials.
As someone who sat through the Q&A at the new beverly screening, I can understand why universal would pass on aquiring it to use as a bonus feature.
It had to be one of the longest most boring Q&A ive ever been to. Usually the people they get to do the Q&A at the new beverly are excellent and ask great questions and get a great responses from the guests. this was like a 3 hour ramblings of a over obsessive fan.
Old 05-22-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
As someone who sat through the Q&A at the new beverly screening, I can understand why universal would pass on aquiring it to use as a bonus feature.
It had to be one of the longest most boring Q&A ive ever been to. Usually the people they get to do the Q&A at the new beverly are excellent and ask great questions and get a great responses from the guests. this was like a 3 hour ramblings of a over obsessive fan.
Well, personally, I'm more interested in the Halloween II stuff anyway.
Old 05-23-11, 09:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Bummed about the lack of features. At least we'll have these on BD though.
Old 05-23-11, 11:46 AM

I sent an email to Universal...and I kept it polite. I also sent one to Anchor Bay asking about Halloween 4 and 5. Hopefully I'll get something back on that.

If you guys want extras on II and III, just pick up the "Halloween: 25 Years of Terror" doc. There's some great interviews and stuff from both films on that. Highly recommended for any Halloween fan.
Old 05-23-11, 12:04 PM

I also have e-mailed universal, and anchor bay. Universal replied back and gave me the usual, we will forward it to department( i asked about special content and a remastered print of halloween II), thank you type of stuff. it was nice, but disappointed. as for anchor bay with halloween 4 and 5 , have not heard back from them. I wrote them last year as well, and nothing came of it ethier.. i'm , really looking forward to halloween 2, 4, 5 on BD.
Old 05-23-11, 03:03 PM

Regarding 4 and 5, someone over at ohmb.net reported that they received an email from Anchor Bay stating that they were in fact working on them. That was over a year ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if we do see a release this year. Wishful thinking of course.

I would love to see the TV version of Halloween II included as a bonus, although I highly doubt that will happen. I've seen it and there are so many differences in that version that I can't even count, including a shirtless (with bra on of course) Jamie Lee Curtis.
Old 05-23-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a decent Blu release of the first Halloween movie?
Old 05-23-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Is there a decent Blu release of the first Halloween movie?
Yeah. The color palette is somewhere in between the two DVD transfers, and most of the extras from the two-disc are carried over. Additionally, if you want copies of the TV version, 4 and 5, and the excellent documentary mentioned above, there is the 30th Anniversary box that includes all of those discs (out of print, but only going for about $10 more than it did when I bought it when it was in print: http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-30th...6183302&sr=8-2).
Old 05-24-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can live without bonus features (even though it pisses me off to no end that Uni has them and won't do anything with them). II and III are fantastic and they should look excellent in HD.
Old 05-24-11, 10:19 AM

Stacy Nelkin in HD! That's gonna rock!
Old 05-24-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Excited about Halloween II.

Still haven't been able to get on that Halloween III train.
Old 05-24-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Still haven't been able to get on that Halloween III train.
I think the key to enjoying the goofy, illogical charms of Halloween III is to stop comparing it to the previous two Halloween films, since any comparison would obviously favor the first two by a country mile, and instead view it as a one-shot, oddball sci-fi/horror mashup, and nothing more. The more distance you can create between the film and the first two, the better. Think of it as Season of the Witch, not Halloween III.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.