Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Special Features worth hunting down despite the movie

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Special Features worth hunting down despite the movie

Old 05-17-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Special Features worth hunting down despite the movie

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Speaking of, in all that wealth of extras, was anything ever mentioned about the John McClane cameo?
Pardon?
Old 05-17-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

You never saw that? Straight outta DH:

Old 05-17-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The making-of documentary The Beginning: Making Episode I on the Star Wars: The Phantom Menace DVD. Much better than the movie it accompanied. I can't see it surviving as-is on the Blu-Ray set.
Old 05-18-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamezuva

That got me thinking to ask if you all felt there were special features out there (I guess this could also include movies that haven't made their way to blu-ray per se as of yet) where it's worth the effort to hunt them down even if the movie itself sucks and is not worth keeping long-term especially if you are one of those people like me who don't watch special features more than once generally.
not on Blu but Panic Room is supposed to have a great special features set
I can't believe I still have that dvd sealed since purchasing it way back when
Old 05-18-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great DVD startup as well.
Old 05-18-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

You never saw that? Straight outta DH:

Is that legit? I gotta go home and check my DVD.
Old 05-18-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is that legit?
Totally. I remember catching it and rewinding it 10x thinking I was crazy.
Old 05-18-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Totally. I remember catching it and rewinding it 10x thinking I was crazy.
Now that you mention this, I vaguely remember catching it once and just sorta shrugging it off. But I haven't watched my DVD in years so it may just be my memory playing tricks on me. Still, can't wait 'til I get home.
Old 05-18-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Daybreaker - awful movie, but it has one of the best documentaries I've ever seen on film making.

Blade 2 - tons of features that show everything about the movie, even creating the body casting for the characters. Lots of fly on the wall type stuff which I love.
Old 05-18-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Cleopatra - the doc on the making of the movie and how it almost killed Fox is far more interesting than the movie itself.
Old 05-18-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't interpret the OP's directive as "good features about bad movies," but rather "good features worth seeing/having in a library regardless of the film itself." So, without commenting at all on the films themselves, here are a few standouts I would recommend:

I still haven't seen Bullitt (I know...), but I would recommend the Blu-ray or the 2-disc DVD release just for its inclusion of the documentary, The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing.

There's a terrific making-of featurette on Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People for anyone fascinated by pre-CGI visual effects.

I've kept my 2-disc DVD of The Departed because it includes Scorsese on Scorsese, which was omitted from the Blu-ray Disc.

And even if you despise the Star Wars prequels, there may not be a more comprehensive documentary about filmmaking than "Within a Minute," which showcases the role played by every single department in the creation of a single minute of Revenge of the Sith.
Old 05-18-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics - This contains many calibration tests and settings, but it has a lot of interesting information on all aspects of home theater, explaining why TVs overscan, why they look different on show floors than at home, as well as the history of the standards, as well as a lot of other complicated stuff I can't remember.
Old 05-18-11, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I didn't interpret the OP's directive as "good features about bad movies," but rather "good features worth seeing/having in a library regardless of the film itself." So, without commenting at all on the films themselves, here are a few standouts I would recommend:

I still haven't seen Bullitt (I know...), but I would recommend the Blu-ray or the 2-disc DVD release just for its inclusion of the documentary, The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing.

There's a terrific making-of featurette on Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People for anyone fascinated by pre-CGI visual effects.

I've kept my 2-disc DVD of The Departed because it includes Scorsese on Scorsese, which was omitted from the Blu-ray Disc.

And even if you despise the Star Wars prequels, there may not be a more comprehensive documentary about filmmaking than "Within a Minute," which showcases the role played by every single department in the creation of a single minute of Revenge of the Sith.
The cutting edge is in HD too so it's even better. Love it.
Old 05-19-11, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Cleopatra - the doc on the making of the movie and how it almost killed Fox is far more interesting than the movie itself.
Forgot that one, its brilliant.

All the sets getting ruined, the director needing a doctor to inject him with stimulants to wake up and sedatives to sleep, Liz Taylor's heart attack, the real life romance forcing the change of the entire movies structure, the Italian supplier rip-offs etc etc etc
Old 05-19-11, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cannibal- the Musical, where the people doing the commentary get so drunk they are slurring their words and shouting at each other, and where libellous bits had to be excised
Old 05-19-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics - This contains many calibration tests and settings, but it has a lot of interesting information on all aspects of home theater, explaining why TVs overscan, why they look different on show floors than at home, as well as the history of the standards, as well as a lot of other complicated stuff I can't remember.
There's also some info about 4K telecine transfers and a brief overview of colour timing.