DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Forget digital and Hi-Def: Analog Video is back! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/589173-forget-digital-hi-def-analog-video-back.html)

Nick Martin 04-01-11 02:56 AM

Forget digital and Hi-Def: Analog Video is back!

Back to the good old days of composite video and laserdisc!

Analog - and the 90s themselves - are coming back!

VHS all the way!

adrenaline78 04-01-11 03:41 AM

Re: Forget digital and Hi-Def: Analog Video is back!

Sweet. Time to break out the Beta machine!

naitram 04-01-11 04:28 AM

No thanks, already been through those days. They'll pry HD from my cold dead hands.

The Valeyard 04-01-11 04:38 AM

Cute.

RayChuang 04-01-11 05:48 AM

I still remember the late 1980's when Super VHS and ED Beta were the "in" thing for home video with S-video connectors. ;)

I'm glad we're over that and it's all HDMI connections.

mattysemo247 04-01-11 07:23 AM

This day can't end fast enough

Vipper II 04-01-11 07:25 AM

I like how they went for the full effect by using a page design that resembles a lazily done site made with AOL's web page-o-matic. Oh, wait...

Anubis2005X 04-01-11 07:25 AM

:|Can we just keep all the April Fool's Day crap in Otter, please?

JimRochester 04-01-11 08:33 AM

Finally a prediction he'll get right

Gizmo 04-01-11 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 10705185)
I like how they went for the full effect by using a page design that resembles a lazily done site made with AOL's web page-o-matic. Oh, wait...

Ouch.

Yep, hate this day as well.

Josh Z 04-01-11 01:26 PM

I'll give Bill some credit for this. He really tried to go all out. I like the wood paneling side border and the Laserdisc banner ad. I also like the newsletter subscription renewal coupon. (Bill obviously remembers the legendary LaserDisc Newsletter.)

However, I have to point out the obvious problem that there's no such thing as an "analog bit."

His campaign to get Star Wars on a Special Edition Laserdisc is also a strange choice, given the Definitive Collection box set. To be fair, the Definitive box was released in 1993, two years after Bill's chosen as-of date. Still, I would probably have picked a different cause to champion.

Alan Smithee 04-01-11 05:59 PM

Back in my AOL days I posted announcements on April 1st about a digital hi-def CED format coming out from RCA. At least we really did get HD-VHS!

bluetoast 04-01-11 06:46 PM

Honest question, but every year on this site I always see people disparage this day to no end, but am wondering what the major issue is. Is it that the sites change, that it should be relegated to a certain section, or something else?

Nick Martin 04-01-11 07:50 PM

Considering the nature of the joke, it would not have made any sense to post "Analog" bits anywhere but "HD" talk.

It was a funny spin on the site, everyone here knows the site, it's as simple as that so I also fail to see the issue here.

"Otterville" would not have been the place for this, I mean come on...