Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

Old 05-04-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

Spoiler:
[QUOTE=Matthew Chmiel;11219160]In terms of the Touchstone Pictures catalog:
  • Splash
  • My Science Project
  • Adventures in Babysitting
  • Can't Buy Me Love
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  • Dick Tracy
  • 3 Ninjas
  • Alive
  • My Boyfriend's Back
  • Cabin Boy
  • It's Pat (I'm sorry, I have no taste.)
  • Ed Wood
  • Phenomenon
  • Jane Austen's Mafia!
  • Big Trouble
Hollywood Pictures:
  • Encino Man
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • In The Army Now
  • Quiz Show
  • Houseguest
  • Powder
  • Mr. Holland's Opus
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Simon Birch
Yes, some of these have already been announced for release by Buena Vista for sometime later this year. However, there's some titles in there (like Super Mario Bros.) that would probably sell a shitload more units than all of the titles Mill Creek is putting out.

Mill Creek confirmed Super Mario Bros. wasn't available to them awhile back. Unless they licensed it after that post, they answered someones question about it on their FB page, that one might be coming, hopefully, from Disney at some point. I'd buy that just from being a Samantha Mathis fan (and if it was cheap). Powder was also mentioned by Mill Creek as not theirs.

Several of the lower to mid profile titles seem like strong possibilities for later this year just based on them being discontinued on DVD in the same grouping as the ones already confirmed as licensed to Mill Creek (Cabin Boy, Jane Austen's Mafia! and My Science Project).

The ones sort of stuck in that middle to upper profile group are the ones I wonder how long it might take for them to be released. If Disney didn't make them available to Mill Creek, those might take another year to come from Disney, as long as their batches from later this year meet their desired sales (things like Can't Buy Me Love, Alive, Simon Birch, Quiz Show, Powder and Super Mario Bros.).

However, looking back, Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures has never been known for quality product.
And yet I am excited by a large percentage of them.

Part of that is Mill Creek' pricing as I wouldn't touch them for even a bit higher. Part is that a number of them had poor DVD releases and/or I did stumble upon them within my price point on DVD. Part nostalgia and that I find them to fit either into good films or good comfort food type of films category. They just seem to hold up well to revisiting once in awhile.

I'm surprised you are not a Spaced Invaders fan. That is such a deliberately silly movie that seems like it would have been one you would go for. I haven't seen it for years but I remember it fondly just for them nailing the cheesy 50's B movie tone but updated to 80's-90's cheese.
Old 05-05-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I wonder if Color of Night will be the director's cut?
I hope it does since only the directors cut was released on various home video formats in the past. I've only seen the shorter theatrical cut air on the Starz network or some cable network before and it's definitely a bad version of the film cutting out lots of stuff.

And the release news is good news since I was close to picking up the laserdisc for $1.98 at a local store, since I haven't run into the vhs or dvd in years, and I've been wanting to see the film again. But I'll wait until it's known which version is on the disc before I buy the new release.

I recall the film being very amusing, and I've wondered if the film was intended as a 'serious' erotic thriller, or a tongue in cheek approach to the genre? Since I can't believe it was intended as a 'serious' film when I saw it in the 90's, but I found it very entertaining because of that.
Old 05-05-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abintra
I'm surprised you are not a Spaced Invaders fan. That is such a deliberately silly movie that seems like it would have been one you would go for. I haven't seen it for years but I remember it fondly just for them nailing the cheesy 50's B movie tone but updated to 80's-90's cheese.
I never cared for it when I was younger.

However, excuse me while I talk to Shout! Factory about getting a Blu-ray release of Munchie now that they control the Roger Corman catalog.
Old 05-08-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I hope it does since only the directors cut was released on various home video formats in the past. I've only seen the shorter theatrical cut air on the Starz network or some cable network before and it's definitely a bad version of the film cutting out lots of stuff.
There's a good version of Color of Night?

I recall the film being very amusing, and I've wondered if the film was intended as a 'serious' erotic thriller, or a tongue in cheek approach to the genre? Since I can't believe it was intended as a 'serious' film when I saw it in the 90's, but I found it very entertaining because of that.
I'm pretty sure that everyone involved thought that they were making a serious movie, sadly.
Old 05-08-12, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cover art said 15 more minutes ...mill creek website had it
Old 05-08-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I never cared for it when I was younger.

However, excuse me while I talk to Shout! Factory about getting a Blu-ray release of Munchie now that they control the Roger Corman catalog.
I'd rather have Munchies.
Old 05-08-12, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There's a good version of Color of Night?
Well not 'good' in the traditional sense, but certainly better than the theatrical version, since so many amusing scenes/moments were cut from that version.

Also I think the sex/nudity was toned down in the shorter version since it was originally rated NC-17 before being cut and earning an R. Then they restored most of the footage and got an R on video for the directors cut.

I'm pretty sure that everyone involved thought that they were making a serious movie, sadly.
That's most likely true. It's been 15 or more years since I last saw the film. So I have no idea whether it may be enjoyable even on the camp level it was as a teen. But I'm willing to give it another viewing sometime.

I still need to see The Stunt Man by the same director, which is said to actually be a good movie, and seems to be a mixture of genres including dark comedy. So that's why I was pondering whether Color of Night was intended as a totally serious thriller, or a quirky thriller since it seemed unbelievably amusing back then and impossible to take 100% seriously.
Old 05-08-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I worked at a theater when Color of Night was out- don't remember ANYBODY liking it. To me it seemed like they were being serious and ended up being unintentionally funny. I don't think the theatrical cut was ever released on any home format, it'd be nice if the Blu-Ray had both. I picked up the director's cut on laserdisc in a batch of other stuff that I wanted, so will have to check that out soon. (I remember a story of the director being locked out of the editing room before the movie was released, and was a little surprised that my name didn't end up being on it! )
Old 05-08-12, 08:54 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Color of Night is underrated. I find it to be very entertaining and the actresss in it really makes it go down easy.
Old 05-08-12, 09:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm an unashamed Bruce Willis fan, but I'll admit to buying the Color of Night DVD mainly for the uncut scenes with what's her name. I've tried watching it twice, but end up getting bored and just fast forwarding to the kitchen apron scene.
Old 05-10-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
That's most likely true. It's been 15 or more years since I last saw the film. So I have no idea whether it may be enjoyable even on the camp level it was as a teen. But I'm willing to give it another viewing sometime.
I feel the same way, actually. The movie is so bonkers that it's enjoyable on a "What the hell were they thinking?" level, but I doubt that was intentional.

I still need to see The Stunt Man by the same director, which is said to actually be a good movie, and seems to be a mixture of genres including dark comedy. So that's why I was pondering whether Color of Night was intended as a totally serious thriller, or a quirky thriller since it seemed unbelievably amusing back then and impossible to take 100% seriously.
The Stunt Man is an... interesting... movie. It took about 2-3 viewings for it to gel for me, but it eventually did. However, if you look at the rest of the director's career, it's pretty obvious that most of what he made was crap. He comes across as an unbelievably pretentious and arrogant prick in the documentary on the DVD/Blu-ray. He seems to have saved newspaper clippings of every single positive review that The Stunt Man received when it was released, and trumpets them over and over again, no matter how dubious the source. "Rex Reed called it the single greatest movie he'd seen all week! Larry King said it was boffo!!"
Old 05-10-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know man, Freebie and the Bean is one of my all time favorite, I think it's easily the best thing he did.
Old 05-17-12, 04:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Just watched White Squall. Picture is decent, the DTS-HD is very good. Just a 4x3 trailer. Good enough for $6.91.
Old 05-17-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Just watched White Squall. Picture is decent, the DTS-HD is very good. Just a 4x3 trailer. Good enough for $6.91.
Is it 2.0 or 5.1?
Old 05-17-12, 05:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew chmiel
is it 2.0 or 5.1?
Old 05-23-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Made a chunk of changes to the original post.

I've made the formatting easier to read and also included titles that are rumored to be in the hands of Mill Creek, which include:
  • The Associate (1996)
  • Bad Company (1995)
  • Blame It On the Bellboy (1992)
  • Cabin Boy (1994)
  • Celtic Pride (1996)
  • Country (1984)
  • Cradle Will Rock (1999)
  • Deep Rising (1998)
  • Feast of July (1995)
  • Fire Birds (1990)
  • Frank McKlusky, C.I. (2002)
  • The Good Mother (1988)
  • Gun Shy (2000)
  • High Heels and Low Lifes (2001)
  • The Inkwell (1994)
  • Jefferson in Paris (1995)
  • Just Visiting (2001)
  • Kundun (1997)
  • Mad Love (1995)
  • Mafia! (1998)
  • Moonlight Mile (2002)
  • My Boyfriend's Back (1993)
  • My Science Project (1985)
  • New Port South (2001)
  • One Good Cop (1991)
  • Paradise (1991)
  • The Puppet Masters (1994)
  • Pyromaniac's Love Story (1995)
  • The Scarlet Letter (1995)
  • The Sixth Man (1997)
  • South Pacific (2001)
  • A Stranger Among Us (1992)
  • A Thousand Acres (1997)
  • Veronica Guerin (2003)
  • Washington Square (1997)
  • Where the Heart Is (1990)
Old 05-23-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish Mill Creek would get their hands on Run with Patrick Dempsey, but considering that it hasn't even made it to DVD, it isn't very likely.
Old 05-23-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I wish Mill Creek would get their hands on Run with Patrick Dempsey, but considering that it hasn't even made it to DVD, it isn't very likely.
Buena Vista released a R2 DVD in the UK in 2004, so I'm assuming an HD master of some sort exists.
Old 05-23-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Made a chunk of changes to the original post.

I've made the formatting easier to read and also included titles that are rumored to be in the hands of Mill Creek, which include:
[/LIST]
I know you like to take credit for others effort and such but at least state where that information comes from. All of that is idle speculation and educated guesses sourced from Michael's Movie Mayhem based on following Disney's DVD discontinuation patterns for titles that ended up being later released by Disney and Mill Creek.

Michael has taken his time and effort sharing those discontinued titles for years on DVDTalk and respect and appreciation should be shown to him for that information. Not to mention that he was helpful researching some of that personally. I know you like to pretend you have some super secret Disney inside information for whatever ego game you are trying to play but there is no reason you can't share the same info but doing so openly and honestly rather than copy and pasting what others shared with you.

Though I believe it to be mostly accurate, or else I wouldn't have shared it with you and others, passing it off as anything other than being sourced from following those discontinuation patterns shared by Michael's Movie Mayhem and things like Facebook, YouTube and Hulu info is disingenuous at best and deliberately misleading at worst.

Apologies all. I'm just annoyed at the posturing.
Old 05-23-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Mill Creek commented on Run on their Facebook page saying it wasn't available to them. That was last year so who knows if that could have changed since then.

They also mentioned The Jerky Boys and Tough Guys not being theirs.
Old 05-23-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael has taken his time and effort sharing those discontinued titles for years on DVDTalk and respect and appreciation should be shown to him for that information. Not to mention that he was helpful researching some of that personally. I know you like to pretend you have some super secret Disney inside information for whatever ego game you are trying to play but there is no reason you can't share the same info but doing so openly and honestly rather than copy and pasting what others shared with you.
When you sent the PM with the information, you never mentioned a source. I would've listed the source if given as I do in the Movie Talk box office threads.

Spoiler:

I don't see you mentioning Michael as the source, so don't blame me for not knowing that considering I've never been to his website. In fact, I've edited my original post to give credit to his website. So don't call me out for something I didn't know nor was I aware of.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 05-23-12 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you sent the PM with the information, you never mentioned a source. I would've listed the source if given as I do in the Movie Talk box office threads.
It was mentioned being sourced from discontinuation patterns in this thread, other threads and forums and multiple PMs since you started claiming it came from a Disney source you had via PMs on other forums (that you copy and pasted the latest update from).

You were asked multiple times to be honest about the "rumored" titles being nothing more than a random PM conversation you had talking about possible titles. To take a random chat done privately and repeatedly attempt to pass it off as coming from an official Disney source in PMs you have that swore you to secrecy is anything but that. Why in the world you choose to continue with it and fabricate that is beyond me.

You took something that could have been shared in the same manner shared with you for random speculation, even if it proves mostly accurate, and attempted to turn it into much more factually based that it was shared as and coming from dramatically different places.
Old 05-24-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was mentioned being sourced from discontinuation patterns in this thread, other threads and forums and multiple PMs since you started claiming it came from a Disney source you had via PMs on other forums (that you copy and pasted the latest update from).

You were asked multiple times to be honest about the "rumored" titles being nothing more than a random PM conversation you had talking about possible titles. To take a random chat done privately and repeatedly attempt to pass it off as coming from an official Disney source in PMs you have that swore you to secrecy is anything but that. Why in the world you choose to continue with it and fabricate that is beyond me.

You took something that could have been shared in the same manner shared with you for random speculation, even if it proves mostly accurate, and attempted to turn it into much more factually based that it was shared as and coming from dramatically different places.
If you want to personally attack me, do it in PMs. Don't do it out in the open.
Old 05-24-12, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: It looks to me like the OP was not aware of a specific source when originally posting, but now, having been made aware, has rightfully credited said source in the original post. I see no need to further dwell on this. Let us continue on topic, thank you.
Old 05-28-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
A poster on horrordvds.com is reporting that 5/15/12 will also bring a double feature of The Grand Duel (1972) & Keoma (1976).

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
don't get too excited...not sure if you've seen their last spaghetti western double feature disc.
Just read an interesting "WTF?" blog about this disc here: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2012/05/gr...ill-creek.html

Screen caps: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=168
Spoiler:
So, yeah, people seem pretty impressed by The Grand Duel half of this DF.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.