Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Individual ALIENs and 5 useless Fox Digibook re-releases >> 5/10/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just chanced onto these on the Fox store. Would've been excited, as 3 of the five are deprived of existing extras and Patton could use a remaster, but of course, they're the existing Blu-Ray releases. DAMN IT.

http://www.foxconnect.com/butch-cass...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/master-and...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/patton-lim...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/rocky-limi...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/terminator...idescreen.html

EDIT TO ADD: Durr, six.

http://www.foxconnect.com/usual-susp...idescreen.html

Plus, the Alien movies have been separated and are slated for the same day.

http://www.foxconnect.com/alien-blu-ray-widescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/aliens-blu...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/alien-3-bl...idescreen.html
http://www.foxconnect.com/alien-resu...idescreen.html

Any and all extras from discs 5 and 6 of the box set are MIA.
Old 03-16-11, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Individual ALIENs and 5 useless Fox Digibook re-releases >> 5/10/11

Definitely worth jacking up the price over, all while giving us the exact same shit. Nice going Fox - assholes. Guess they think the digibook i enough for us. Too bad I have all of these already, or I may have been interested.
Old 03-16-11, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what extras the Terminator one has or what the PQ is like ?
Old 03-16-11, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Do you know what extras the Terminator one has or what the PQ is like ?
AFAIK the PQ is terrible. I'm holding off on picking it up on BR until a new release is made available. The PQ between the DVD and BR is apparently pretty much the same.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/22620/terminator-the/
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/22644/terminator-the/
Old 03-16-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey you know they have at least one sale coming for each of those!
Old 03-16-11, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Digibooks for re-releases. Sigh.
Old 03-16-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're using the Master and Commander artwork from that nice 2-disc dvd edition, yet still giving us the same old disc. Yippee

I guess Fox is trying to make a few more dollars out of The Terminator. I thought Lowry was working on a new restoration of that. I guess it'll end up being distributed by Sony?

also, I noticed they are re-releasing all the X-men movies, including Wolverine, on May 3 as BD/DVD/DC combo packs.
Old 03-16-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The state of Blu-ray, 2011. Sad.
Old 03-16-11, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

also, I noticed they are re-releasing all the X-men movies, including Wolverine, on May 3 as BD/DVD/DC combo packs.
Most studios will be doing that. They are likely going to be forced to as retail space shrinks of OD (DVD and BD) and only want to carry one SKU for (so a BD + DVD makes sense). Paramount re-released a ton of titles like that, even though they can't be bothered to release new catalog titles.
Old 03-16-11, 08:52 PM
Banned

I have the dvd of Terminator, but it's not the special edition, though. If only the blu-ray had the Other Voices documentary. That would definately tipthe scales for in terms of getting the blu-ray. I can't find the dvd edition that has it.
Old 03-16-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Patton could use a remaster, but of course, they're the existing Blu-Ray releases. DAMN IT.
How do you know this? Not that I doubt you, sadly, but I've seen nothing official. I'm very skeptical that Fox will get it together to take this opportunity and fix their mistake, but I'd happily pay full MSRP to buy Patton again, if they did.
Old 03-16-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Most studios will be doing that. They are likely going to be forced to as retail space shrinks of OD (DVD and BD) and only want to carry one SKU for (so a BD + DVD makes sense). Paramount re-released a ton of titles like that, even though they can't be bothered to release new catalog titles.
The problem with this is that the DVD is fucking useless. In the event that the prospective consumer doesn't have a blu-ray player, are they really going to pay the premium price for a blu-ray combo pack? All of a sudden that DVD that should sell for $5-$10 on the bargain rack is now only available in a $20-$30 combo pack... doesn't sound very appealing for the consumer who still hasn't upgraded (or no desire to upgrade) to blu-ray.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-16-11 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 11:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure, use the Rocky Collector's Edition artwork and not include the extras from the DVD edition.

But I am glad to see Alien getting an individual release.
Old 03-17-11, 01:14 AM

Is this basically what warner has been doing with their blu books?
Old 03-17-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Disney has been doing a lot of catalog combos too.
Old 03-17-11, 10:13 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem with this is that the DVD is fucking useless. In the event that the prospective consumer doesn't have a blu-ray player, are they really going to pay the premium price for a blu-ray combo pack? All of a sudden that DVD that should sell for $5-$10 on the bargain rack is now only available in a $20-$30 combo pack... doesn't sound very appealing for the consumer who still hasn't upgraded (or no desire to upgrade) to blu-ray.
I've been in Moviestop and on several occasions watched angry customers scream at the employees that have tried to get them to buy the BR/DVD combo packs over the standard dvd. They angry customers always buy the dvd over the combo pack, and say something like "I don't have a bluray player, and I don't need a bluray disc." One time that I saw this the combo pack was cheaper than the dvd, and they still screamed and bought the more expensive dvd only version. Because people are stupid sometimes.
Old 03-17-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's going to be an SD-DVD in any of these sets, it should contain the extras, at least. They could throw on Disc 2 of Master and Commander, Rocky, and all of the Alien sets.

I personally still like getting the DVD in the combo packs, especially with new movies. I still have friends without BD players, so it's convenient to have a SD copy.
Old 03-17-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The state of Blu-ray, 2011. Sad.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Definitely worth jacking up the price over, all while giving us the exact same shit. Nice going Fox - assholes. Guess they think the digibook i enough for us. Too bad I have all of these already, or I may have been interested.
There are enough people on this board that buy the special packaging regardless of the quality of the presentation or even the movie for that matter. Many buy it without opening it as some collectors item so the quality of the presentation doesn't matter.
Old 03-17-11, 03:20 PM

Damn, and I was excited about the digibook until I saw that this could be just the same disc. Almost anything is better than the flimsy- full of hole, blu-ray cases. I don't mind paying extra for packaging. I try to get limited packaging whenever I can even if it's over $10 difference (in DVD, I found Korean makes the best packaging - not bluray though) BUT content is the deciding factor in rather to buy it or not. Packaging is just if I want to spend extra money. I didn't buy any of these movies because of bad video quality or missing extras. And digibook is not going to change my mind unless they remaster the discs. I really hope they do because some of these movies I would buy for full prices.
Old 03-17-11, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by flansered
I've been in Moviestop and on several occasions watched angry customers scream at the employees that have tried to get them to buy the BR/DVD combo packs over the standard dvd. They angry customers always buy the dvd over the combo pack, and say something like "I don't have a bluray player, and I don't need a bluray disc." One time that I saw this the combo pack was cheaper than the dvd, and they still screamed and bought the more expensive dvd only version. Because people are stupid sometimes.
Don't get people. I bought some combo packs before I had a Blu-ray player which gave me an immediate dvd and a blu for the future.
Old 03-18-11, 01:28 AM
Cool New Member

damn...I thought maybe Fox had fixed up its dreadful Butch Cassidy Blu release.
Old 03-18-11, 08:37 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Don't get people. I bought some combo packs before I had a Blu-ray player which gave me an immediate dvd and a blu for the future.
I did too. But what bothered me the most was how angry the customers would get. The way that they were screaming at the employees it was like the employee killed their dog or something.
Old 03-18-11, 08:47 AM
Banned

I must say that the Alien covers looks very nice, I already have the box set but I only saw 1 and 2 when I was a kid and if I do not like parts 3 and 4 then I might sell the box set and get Aliens 1 and 2 but it would suck to lose all the very cool extras and gorgerous packaging...decisions, decisions!
Old 03-18-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacqui
damn...I thought maybe Fox had fixed up its dreadful Butch Cassidy Blu release.
"Dreadful?" Seemed fine to me, though I admit some of the outdoor shots seemed a bit grainy. Anyway, it's one of my favorite movies (currently #1 on my Flickchart), but I don't think I'll double-dip just for the Digibook. Had I not already picked up the initial Blu-ray release, I'd have been all over it.

Oh, and regarding Combo Packs: I try to avoid issues that involve "the public." As a rule, the public is certain it knows all it needs to know and that there's always a "they" out there trying to screw them.

I honestly wish combo packs had been the standard all along, because there are more than a handful of titles I bought on DVD because we hadn't gone Blu yet. I'm reluctant to double-dip just to upgrade them, and had they been part of a combo pack it wouldn't have been an issue. Now that I've gone Blu, I find the DVDs entirely superfluous and wish they'd just give me a Digital Copy for the sake of portability. That's just me, though, and I entirely understand why studios don't go that route.
Old 03-18-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep the DVD, keep the digital copy. I have never touched either in any combo pack I've bought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.