Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HARRY POTTER 5 and 6 Ultimate Editions coming 7/15

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-22-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From The Digital Bits:

The big title news today, is that Warner Home Video has just officially announced the Blu-ray and DVD release of the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Ultimate Edition box sets on 6/14, just in time for the 7/15 theatrical release of the last film. SRP is $49.99 for the Blu-ray version and $39.92 for DVD. Each will include all of the previous DVD and Blu-ray extras, along with 44-page books and new installments of the Creating the World of Harry Potter documentary (Order of the Phoenix will include Part 5: Evolution and Half-Blood Prince will include Part 6: Magical Effects). So that leaves only the Ultimate Editions of Deathly Hallows, Part I and II, which will probably be released sometime next year.
--THX
Old 02-22-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: HARRY POTTER 5 and 6 Ultimate Editions coming 7/15

No Extended Edition again.
Old 02-24-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
No Extended Edition again.
Perhaps when the series wraps up, so there can be quintuple dips and beyond.

There are still Harry Potter The Boomstick Version and The Quidditch Broomstick editions to look forward to.
Old 04-05-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blu-ray.com now has the artwork for these:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Ultimate Edition

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Ultimate Edition

Surprised to see only two discs per set. They seem to be stripping these down more and more. But, the new cover for Phoenix is far better than that of the original release. Never cared for that one.

--THX
Old 04-05-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

meh. You can bet your ass that there'll be an Uber-edition, collecting all 8 movies in one all-encompassing set, and that it'll be out within a year.
Old 04-05-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I never got suckered into buying these. The only reason I'd want 'em is for the extended cuts, and they stopped doing that beginning with Azkaban. Ridiculous...
Old 04-05-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Glad I never got suckered into buying these. The only reason I'd want 'em is for the extended cuts, and they stopped doing that beginning with Azkaban. Ridiculous...
I'm hoping the eventual box set will have extended editions of all the films...if not, I'm sticking to my individual discs
Old 04-06-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Perhaps when the series wraps up, so there can be quintuple dips and beyond.
This. It IS Warner Bros after all. Why would you expect anything less than them doing multiple re-releases to bilk every cent they can out of a franchise.

I am holding out until all of them come in an extended edition pack - of course everything will likely be HD on demand by the time WB gets around to it.
Old 04-06-11, 09:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
meh. You can bet your ass that there'll be an Uber-edition, collecting all 8 movies in one all-encompassing set, and that it'll be out within a year.
including the rumoured inclusion of the commentary tracks.
Old 04-16-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone been purchasing these? Are they pretty good, or are most waiting for the 84 disc box set when all is said and done?
Old 04-16-11, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Has anyone been purchasing these? Are they pretty good, or are most waiting for the 84 disc box set when all is said and done?
Hell no. I still have 1-5 on HD DVD and 6 on BD. At this point, I will wait till they are all released and available sub $50 before I bother to upgrade/buy new films.
Old 04-17-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
There may be a complete set sometime in 2013 or beyond, and if there is, depending on the extras, I may get it. At the very least, they would have to include commentaries for each film for me to dip again. (Extended versions would be welcome, but they've already had the opportunity to include them, and in keeping with the directors' wishes, didn't bother.)

In the meantime, yes, I'm getting these on Blu. I don't have the films in HD otherwise, and the documentary they're giving hour by hour will likely be the best look at the making of the series we'll get for a long time.

The Deathly Hallows films won't have Ultimate Edition releases until 2012 (the initial release of Part 2 won't even be out until the end of this year), thus concluding the set. The timing follows perfectly with the end of the series in theaters and on home media. Obviously planned that way. Which seems to indicate that the Ultimate Editions will be the final word on Harry Potter for a while.

But, I could be wrong.

--THX
Old 04-17-11, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 679 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
That's what I'm waiting for. I haven't picked up any of the individual releases on BD and I won't bother 'til the whole series is done and released in an uber set.
Old 04-17-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have to say, quality control at Warner seems to have sunk with regard to DVD. The picture for Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is marred with mosquito noise. Looks terrible. Haven't looked at the films prior to those to see how far back the damage goes. They're not even trying anymore. For new releases-- maybe even re-releases-- you almost have to go Blu-ray now if you want decent video.

--THX
Old 04-19-11, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's what I'm waiting for. I haven't picked up any of the individual releases on BD and I won't bother 'til the whole series is done and released in an uber set.
ditto