Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Vern, Ernest is coming to Blu-ray.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-31-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not kidding.

Originally Posted by Blu-ray.com
Mill Creek Entertainment has announced four Blu-ray double features for release on March 22, priced at only $14.95 each, and from different genres: science fiction, with Galaxina (1978) / The Crater Lake Monster (1977); western, with Django (1966) / Now They Call Him Sacramento (1977) and The Last Gun (1964) / Four Dollars of Revenge; and comedy, with Ernest Goes to Camp (1987) / Ernest Goes to Jail (1990).

Galaxina had been released by BCI on February 2008 on the defunct HD DVD format.

Note that Django had been already released separately by Blue Underground; at the moment it's not known whether that edition will go out of print.
Seriously. I want to be the guy who picks out of a hat what titles will go onto Blu-ray and which will linger on VHS and DVD.

I own one of Mill Creek's current four Blu-rays that are available for sale, the Gamera double feature, and the PQ/AQ (DTS HD-MA 5.1) are actually surprisingly solid. If it's also like that double feature, expect it to be five dollars on Amazon shortly after its release.

Hopefully this sells well so I can finally get Ernest Scared Stupid on Blu-ray. /ducks

EDIT: Unlike Buena Vista's original DVD counterparts, expect the films to be in their OAR based upon Mill Creek's recent DVD release.
Old 01-31-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hey Vern, Ernest is coming to Blu-ray.

Well that's...odd. Awesome nonetheless though.
Old 01-31-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird about Django.
Old 01-31-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Ernest Triple Feature just came out on DVD last week! I wonder if Mill Creek intentionally held off on announcing the Blus until now?

For me, Galaxina was a cheezy but fun space comedy, along the lines of Ice Pirates and Spaceballs.
Old 01-31-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Weird about Django.
It's not the first time that two studios have shared the rights to a single title (Blue Underground and Media Blaster's separate DVD releases of Zombi 2 / Zombie; same transfers, but different bonus material), probably wont be the last.
Old 01-31-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they release Ernest Saves Christmas and Ernest Scared Stupid as a double feature later
Old 01-31-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Weird about Django.
Mill Creek has released Django Kills and Django vs. Sartana on DVD before. I wonder if if it's one of those and there was a typo. These BDs aren't listed on Mill Creek's site, so I can't confirm there yet, and I can't find any press releases or anything. Everyone that's talking about this is citing blu-ray.com or Amazon's Canadian site. Not saying they're wrong, but I'm curious...
Old 01-31-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $5, I'd have to give serious consideration to a Galaxina/Crater Lake Monster double-feature.
Old 01-31-11, 06:26 PM

This is freakin awesome! If you read the comments on blu-ray.com everyone is saying how they will buy Ernest release. I think this franchise might be a little more popular than a lot of people give it credit for - especially since most of Ernest fans back in the day are now 25-35 with some money to burn and the nostalgia factor.

Looks like I'll be giving the tripple feature I just bought to my neices and picking this one up (I already own "Scared Stupid").
Old 01-31-11, 06:28 PM
Banned

If they were offering Ernest Saves Christmas, that would be great. Camp is good, but I don't like Jail.
Old 01-31-11, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I hope they release Ernest Saves Christmas and Ernest Scared Stupid as a double feature later
I agree. I prefer those two films.
Old 01-31-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now we just need Dr. Otto And The Riddle Of The Gloom Beam on Blu.
Old 01-31-11, 09:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, that movie was awful when I saw it as a kid, thinking that Ernest would be in it.

Definitely will pick up the Ernest Double feature as I don't own the DVD's; any word if it comes with deleted scenes?
Old 01-31-11, 09:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
This is freakin awesome! If you read the comments on blu-ray.com everyone is saying how they will buy Ernest release. I think this franchise might be a little more popular than a lot of people give it credit for - especially since most of Ernest fans back in the day are now 25-35 with some money to burn and the nostalgia factor.

Looks like I'll be giving the tripple feature I just bought to my neices and picking this one up (I already own "Scared Stupid").
Just because some 12 year old's say they will buy it does not mean they actually will. I see Target is not stocking the double/triple packs of crap films, so I guess we can spot them there for $8 some day.
Old 01-31-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully Mill Creek will be able to get some other Disney/Touchstone titles in the future. There are a lot of film that need some love, that Disney could care less about.
Old 01-31-11, 09:51 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mill Creek also included a couple Blue Underground titles in its Spaghetti Western Collection boxset - so maybe Blue Underground licensed these out and Django was included.
Old 01-31-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Hopefully Mill Creek will be able to get some other Disney/Touchstone titles in the future. There are a lot of film that need some love, that Disney could care less about.
Nope, take back my initial post, the sales sheet specifically says: "Licensed for distribution from Buena Vista Home Entertainment."

I wonder if we will see more Blu-rays from other studios for those cult titles (ala Sony and Image).

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-31-11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Hopefully this sells well so I can finally get Ernest Scared Stupid on Blu-ray. /ducks
Originally Posted by JJE-187
I would be beyond stoked to get Ernest Scared Stupid on BD; I watch it every year during Halloween. The current DVD is open-matte, so I can zoom in and it looks good. But a BD would be excellent paired with Saves Christmas.
Old 02-01-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome i will pick up the Ernest double feature day one
Old 02-01-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I would be beyond stoked to get Ernest Scared Stupid on BD; I watch it every year during Halloween. The current DVD is open-matte, so I can zoom in and it looks good. But a BD would be excellent paired with Saves Christmas.
Well, if you're holding out for Blu-Ray, that's one thing, but Mill Creek already released a triple feature with Scared Stupid in anamorphic widescreen (see OP).
Old 02-01-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a feeling they'll release a scared stupid/saves christmas double feature around halloween later this year
Old 02-01-11, 10:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Well, if you're holding out for Blu-Ray, that's one thing, but Mill Creek already released a triple feature with Scared Stupid in anamorphic widescreen (see OP).
yep, cutting off the top and bottom of the images, the negatives were 1.37 so with the psycho need to fill the screen we loose images from top and the bottom

also the audio will not be uncompressed AND will be 2 movies on 1 single layer BLU-RAY, that is horrible, considering a dvd dual layer holds 9 gb, and single layer blu-rays hold about 22gb

Last edited by zla21; 02-01-11 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully, they destroyed slam dunk.

LOVE Saves Christmas. Never saw Scared Stupid. Jail was alright, didn't like Camp.
Old 02-02-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zla21
yep, cutting off the top and bottom of the images, the negatives were 1.37 so with the psycho need to fill the screen we loose images from top and the bottom

also the audio will not be uncompressed AND will be 2 movies on 1 single layer BLU-RAY, that is horrible, considering a dvd dual layer holds 9 gb, and single layer blu-rays hold about 22gb
I love trolls!
Old 02-02-11, 08:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I love trolls!
I am not a troll you obviously not too bright person, when you cut any of the image that is sickening

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.