Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official BFI Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official BFI Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official BFI Blu-ray Thread

decent transfer on Before the Revolution and I'm there (ie no measly 14gb transfers please, use the disc space).
Old 05-24-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the Revolution

A film by Bernardo Bertolucci

A rarely seen early work from one of world cinema s most acclaimed directors, Bernardo Bertolucci s beautiful and unique Before the Revolution - made when he was just 22 captures the passions and ideology of the 1960s. Young, idealistic and bourgeois, Fabrizio struggles to come to terms with these contradictions and master a transgressive love for his aunt

Part autobiography, part literary adaptation, part homage to the French new-wave and Italian neo-realists that inspired him, Bertolucci s virtuosic second film is an atmospheric, ambiguous portrait of idealistic youth.

Extra Features:

- Dual Format Edition: includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and the extras.
- Original theatrical trailer
- Today s Cinema (1963, 4 mins, DVD only): interview with the young Bernardo Bertolucci on the set of Before the Revolution
- Self-portrait (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 46 mins, DVD only): interview with Bernardo Bertolucci about making Before the Revolution
- The Workshop of the Young Masters (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 26 mins, DVD only): interviews with editor Roberto Perpignani, cinematorgrapher Vittorio Storaro and composer Ennio Morricone
- Variations by the author (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 31 mins, DVD only): comparisons between the working and final copy of Before the Revolution
- Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci (2011, 6 mins, DVD only)

Region B
Adelphi Collection Volume 4 : Fun at St. Fanny's & You Lucky People

The fourth release of the BFI s pioneering Adelphi Collection is a rib-tickling double bill of rare vintage comedy. Schoolboy howlers abound in the quick-fire classroom caper Fun at St. Fanny s (1955), featuring radio favourite Cardew "The Cad" Robinson, television's Gerald "Billy Bunter" Campion, variety veteran Fred Emney, Vera Day, Claude Hulbert, muddle-mouthed Stanley Unwin, and a young Ronnie Corbett.

You Lucky People (1956) stars the man Roy Hudd described as 'Britain's first alternative comedian', legendary stand-up comic Tommy Trinder, in a raucous parade ground comedy which also features a young Rolf Harris.

Extra Features:

- Dual Format Edition: includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and the extras.
- Both films newly transferred to High Definition
- Extensive fully illustrated booklet featuring essays, credits and biographical information
More

A film by Barbet Schroeder

Barbet Schroeder's (Single White Female, The Valley) dark tale, based on a true story, follows the naive Stefan (Klaus Grunberg) in his pursuit of offbeat American Estelle (Mimsy Farmer) to the island paradise of Ibiza. He leads a seemingly idyllic life with her by the sea - where the scenic beauties and delights of LSD and nude sunbathing are fully revealed by Nestor Almendros' stunning photography - before succumbing to the destructive trappings of heroin addiction.

The film is famous for its subdued, moody Pink Floyd soundtrack, featuring some of the band's most spontaneous and eclectic work - including Green is the Colour, Cymbaline and The Nile Song.

Extra Features:

- Original trailer
- Trailers for The Valley and Maîtresse
- Interview with Barbet Schroeder
- Fully illustrated booklet

Region free
Requiem for a Village

A Film by David Gladwell

Although best known for his celebrated work as editor on Lindsay Anderson's If.... and O Lucky Man!, as well as on the acclaimed BBC TV series Ways of Seeing, David Gladwell has rarely before been recognised as the director of a collection of extraordinary, ground-breaking films which explore Britain's rural traditions and the undying power of memory. This Dual Format Edition (DVD + Blu-ray) provides the rare opportunity to finally experience Gladwell's lyrical, poetic 1975 film Requiem for a Village, as well as a selection of his rare and striking short film works.

Extra Features:

- Dual Format Edition: includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and the extras
- A Summer Discord (David Gladwell, 1955, 17 mins)
- Miss Thompson Goes Shopping (David Gladwell, 1958, 23 mins)
- The Great Steam Fair (David Gladwell, 1964, 18 mins)
- An Untitled Film (David Gladwell, 1964, 9 mins)
- Illustrated booklet featuring new sleevenote essay by David Thompson
Old 05-28-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deep End

A Film by Jerzy Skolimowski

The Swinging Sixties are over and the long, grey morning after has only just begun. But there are still eye-opening new experiences in store for wet-behind-the-ears teenager Mike (John Moulder-Brown) when he takes a job at a rundown London swimming baths. After one of its more mature visitors steamily attempts to take advantage (Diana Dors, in a superb cameo), he gradually wises up to find himself adrift with an increasingly obsessive interest in sassy, self-assured, co-worker Susan (played by a seductive Jane Asher). Giddily he follows her into the grimy underbelly of Soho for a long dark night of the soul -- soundtracked with great intensity by legendary Krautrock band Can. Will Mike sabotage Susan's relationship with her fiancé and get together with her instead?

Jerzy Skolimowski's compelling, darkly poetic portrait of Britain in an era of uncertainty and changing sexual mores now makes a long overdue return to the screen in a beautiful new digital restoration with extensive bonus features.

Extra Features:

-Dual Format Edition: includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and the extras
-New High Definition restoration
-Starting Out: The Making of Deep End (2011, 73 mins): an in-depth documentary about the making of the film, featuring interviews with Jerzy Skolimowski, Jane Asher, John Moulder Brown, and principle crew
-Deep End: The Deleted Scenes (2011, 8 mins): featurette about sequences removed from the film
-Careless Love (Francine Winham, 1977, 10 mins): Rare and disturbing tale in which a woman (Jane Asher) takes drastic actions to keep the affections of the man she loves.
-Illustrated booklet featuring new sleevenote essay by David Thompson
Old 06-27-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BFI Flipside to release a 3-Disc Collector’s Edition of Deep End

BFI Flipside announces a 3-Disc Collector’s Edition of Jerzy Skolimowski’s Deep End that will be released alongside the standard Dual Format Edition on 18 July.

The 3-Disc Collector's Edition presents all of the contents of the standard Dual Format Edition along with an extra DVD of exclusive content, including footage of Jane Asher and John Moulder-Brown being interviewed onstage at BFI Southbank with BFI curators William Fowler and Vic Pratt in May 2011, and the Deep End 2011 reissue trailer.

Strictly limited to 1,000 units, the Collector’s Edition will be available from all retail outlets. The RRP is £22.99 (standard edition RRP is £19.99) and the cat. no. is BFIB1131.

Unseen for decades, and yet considered to to be one of the finest films directed by Polish filmmaker Jerzy Skolimowski (Essential Killing, Moonlighting), Deep End is an original, off-beat portrait of adolescent obsession set against a backdrop of London life in an era of uncertainty and changing sexual mores, starring Jane Asher, John Moulder-Brown and Diana Dors, with a soundtrack by Cat Stevens and legendary ‘Krautrock’ band Can.

3-Disc Collector’s Edition Special Features
• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition;
• Starting Out: The Making of Jerzy Skolimowski’s Deep End (2010, 74 mins): a comprehensive new feature-length documentary;
• Deep End: The Deleted Scenes (2010, 12 mins): short documentary exploring the scenes that never made the grade;
• Original theatrical trailer;
• Careless Love (Francine Winham, 1977, 10 mins): rare and disturbing short film in which a woman (Jane Asher) takes drastic action to keep the affections of the man she loves;
• Recalling Deep End (2011, 25 mins, bonus DVD only): Jane Asher and John Moulder-Brown interviewed onstage with BFI curators William Fowler and Vic Pratt;
• Deep End 2011 reissue trailer (bonus DVD only);
• Illustrated booklet featuring new essays by David Thompson, Yvonne Tasker, and Skolimowski expert Ewa Mazierska.
Old 07-03-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Digital Fix review of Requiem for a Village
Old 08-05-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Before the Revolution
Old 08-06-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Starting to think about another amazon.co.uk order. I like to wait until I have a couple of titles to order before doing so.

The two Schroeder films are definites. Can't believe More is coming to BD; I figured that had a snowball's chance in hell of seeing HD release. I do have the Home Vision DVD, but that is not anamorphic and has the missing audio at one point.

Less certain about Deep End; this has supposedly been rumored for Criterion also. But honestly, looking at the specs, I'm not sure Criterion could do better than the release we have here. May just take the plunge (pun intended) on the BFI.
Old 08-09-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

FYI, the riots in London destroyed a warehouse containing the DVD and Blu-ray stock for a number of British distributors, including BFI and Arrow.

http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/08/lond...-warehouse.php

I'd expect orders from the UK to be delayed, perhaps significantly.
Old 08-09-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
FYI, the riots in London destroyed a warehouse containing the DVD and Blu-ray stock for a number of British distributors, including BFI and Arrow.

http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/08/lond...-warehouse.php

I'd expect orders from the UK to be delayed, perhaps significantly.
Wow, that sucks. I wonder how badly shipments of anything (not just DVDs) out of the UK are affected.

Amazon supposedly has stock of the titles I'm considering. I wonder if it's worth it placing the order or if I'd end up with a charge on my card and not much else.
Old 08-13-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Deep End
Old 08-18-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com on Deep End
Old 08-19-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Little Malcolm - 10/24

French Cancan - 11/7
Old 08-21-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Voice Over - 10/24
Old 08-26-11, 06:25 AM

I did speak a couple of years ago to a lady at the British Film Insitute , which had just produced a crisp and restored new print of Hammers classic movie Dracula 1958 starring Peter Cushing , Christopher Lee and Michael Gough Melissa Stribling , she told me that the BFI were in talks to get the distribution rights to make a new DVD from the new print whether anything came of these talks I do not know? Also does anyone know if their DVD of Nosferatu is due out as a Blu Ray disc?
Old 09-16-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That BFI disc of Nosferatu has been superseded by the MoC disc, which won't be getting a Blu-ray as there is no HD master.
Old 09-17-11, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
That BFI disc of Nosferatu has been superseded by the MoC disc, which won't be getting a Blu-ray as there is no HD master.
What is the MoC disc please - please excuse my ignorance - I love the James Bernard score on the BFI DVD!
Old 09-19-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MoC is Masters of Cinema, a UK company. Their version of Nosferatu, released in 2007, is taken from the then-new restoration, as is the Kino disc in the U.S. Here's a comparison between the two. The MoC disc has an exclusive commentary and 80-page booklet. The score is the original Hans Erdmann one.
Old 10-26-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody have any idea why More is no longer available from amazon.co.uk? I was thinking about ordering it; then I go to the site and they don't sell it any more, except through third parties.

This was just released, so it can't be OOP already. I could try to get it from BFI, but amazon's prices are better.

EDIT: Never mind, it's reappeared. Unfortunately it now appears A Zed and Two Noughts has vanished also. Wonder what gives.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 10-26-11 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe they're reissuing all of their Blu-rays as combo packs, and discontinuing the pre-existing discs.
Old 11-08-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The re-issue of Deep End (2-disc only) just dropped to 9 pounds on Amazon UK.
Old 11-08-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a great film, with a very nice transfer.
Old 02-26-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shadows - 4/23
Faces - 4/23
The Black Panther - 5/14
Nightbirds (Andy Milligan) - 5/21
The Belly of an Architect (Peter Greenaway) 6/18
Revolution (1985) - 6/18
Old 02-26-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, a bunch of stuff I'd been wanting to order from the UK was finally all in stock at once, so I ordered five titles, including my first three BFIs. Order shipped in two packages, which arrived a little more than a week after I placed the order. Probably my fastest shipment from amazon.co.uk to date.

Got More, The Valley, and A Zed and Two Noughts. Mildly surprised to see that the latter came in a standard-thickness BD case rather than the typical UK thick-as-a-DVD variety.

Looking forward to watching them.