Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 12-01-18, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

Stoked for Climax, but Goddamnit will someone please release Irreversible and I Stand Alone already.
Old 12-01-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The last Robocop blu looked pretty damn good - unless it's a new 4K restoration, they'd have to really kcik up the extras in order to make it worthwhile.
Old 12-01-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

...and that Robocop release is already sourced from a 4K master, so it’d probably come down to extras, yeah. I’m curious if this might mark Arrow’s entry into Ultra HD Blu-ray.

FWIW, another label (not Arrow and not Kino either) licensed The Terminator. Everything must go at MGM! No reasonable offer will be refused.
Old 12-01-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Very excited about Audition. I held off on the Shout release when Arrow released the UK version in the hopes they'd eventually get it stateside.
Old 12-01-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Stoked for Climax, but Goddamnit will someone please release Irreversible and I Stand Alone already.
At this point I wonder who owns the rights.

Accent Film Entertainment in Australia released both films on Blu-Ray but both were 1080i Up-Scaled Transfers
Old 12-01-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Saw CLIMAX at TIFF Midnight a few months back. I think it deserved both the praise and the criticism it received. It’s pretty trippy and pretentious and ultimately pointless (which was probably the point, I suspect) but it was certainly never dull, and very much in keeping with Noe’s, uhh, traditions. Not sure I’d need to see it again but some thorough supplements by Arrow would easily sway me.
Old 12-13-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Farewell, Django (at least for now):

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FArrowVideo%2Fposts%2F2247973461903302&width=500" width="500" height="280" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Old 12-13-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty cutthroat move on Blue Underground's part to challenge Arrow's license at the last minute before Arrow's release. Some people got their pre-orders in and are attempting to sell their copies for hundreds of dollars on eBay. No movie is worth that much IMO.
Old 12-13-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

I bought my very first Arrow bluray today in Killer Klowns from Outer Space. I got the previous bluray for $4 at a used store. I'm excited to see what's on the new set.
Old 12-13-18, 07:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i'm looking forward to Waterworld. Not sure why, but am nonetheless. I guess i like the 3 cuts of movie part...
Old 01-21-19, 06:00 PM

Waterworld looks like another Arrow winner...
Old 01-23-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope to pickup Waterworld, I always liked the movie and feel it doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
Old 01-23-19, 09:25 PM

Me too. I always like Costner, in just about anything. Silverado, American Flyers (one of all time favs and I don’t think anyone knows it), Revenge, No Way Out, loved Open Range, Field, of course. Even though I liked it, my least fav is probably Dances
Old 01-24-19, 06:48 PM

really gorgeous looking set. gonna do the Ulysses 3hr cut...

Old 01-24-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Arrow Video are slated to issue a remastered collection of several essential works from cinematic mystic Alejandro Jodorowsky! According to his son Brontis Jodorowsky, the box set will contain new 4K restorations of the surreal shocker FANDO & LIS (1968), his midnight movie trailblazer EL TOPO (1970) and the allegorical masterpiece THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973). The actor also states he contributed a long interview to join an expected bounty of extras, and, “lots of memories came back!” Watch this space for more details as they become available!
Old 01-25-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In for that as long as they port over the excellent extras from the previous editions, particularly Jodorowski's commentaries.

Also announced a few minutes ago:

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (Blu-ray)
An archetypal giallo from the genre’s heyday, Freda’s film is presented here in a stunning new restoration with a host of newly produced extras. Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2UcUOti
Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2MuXEXV
Release dates: April 8/9

One of several ‘animal-in-the-title’ cash-ins released in the wake of Dario Argento’s box-office smash The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire is a gloriously excessive giallo that boasts a rogues gallery of perverse characters; violent, fetishized murders, and one of the genre’s most nonsensical, red-herring laden plots (which sees almost every incidental character hinted at potentially being the killer).Set in Dublin (a rather surprising giallo setting), Iguana opens audaciously with an acid-throwing, razor-wielding maniac brutally slaying a woman in her own home. The victim’s mangled corpse is discovered in a limousine owned by Swiss Ambassador Sobiesky (Anton Diffring, Where Eagles Dare) and a police investigation is launched, but when the murdering continues and the ambassador claims diplomatic immunity, tough ex-cop John Norton (Luigi Pistilli, A Bay of Blood) is brought in to find the killer…Benefitting from a sumptuous score by Stelvio Cipriani (Nightmare City, Death Walks on High Heels) and exuberant supporting performances from Valentina Cortese (The Possessed, Thieves' Highway) and Dagmar Lassander (The Frightened Woman, The Black Cat), The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire is a luridly over-the-top latter-day entry in the filmography of acclaimed director Riccardo Freda (Caltiki – The Immortal Monster, Murder Obsession). An archetypal giallo from the genre’s heyday, Freda’s film is presented here in a stunning new restoration with a host of newly produced extras.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• New 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Uncompressed mono 1.0 LPCM audio
• Original English and Italian soundtracks, titles and credits
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by giallo connoisseurs Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
• Of Chameleons and Iguanas, a newly filmed video appreciation by the cultural critic and academic Richard Dyer
• Considering Cipriani, a new appreciation of the composer Stelvio Cipriani and his score to The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire by DJ and soundtrack collector Lovely Jon
• The Cutting Game, a new interview with Iguana’s assistant editor Bruno Micheli
• The Red Queen of Hearts, a career-spanning interview with the actress Dagmar Lassander
• Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
• Image gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Andreas Ehrenreich

and

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Terra Formars (Blu-ray)
An action-packed space adventure brought to life by one of Japan’s most celebrated contemporary filmmakers
Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2WhL8zq
Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2MwDLzA
Release dates: April 1/2

The ever-prolific Takashi Miike, the director behind the likes of Audition, the Dead or Alive trilogy and Blade of the Immortal, returns with this intergalactic epic in which a team of space explorers find themselves pitched against a horde of oversized anthropomorphic cockroaches.In the mid-21st century, humankind has been forced to look to colonising other planets as a means of combating overcrowding on Earth – their first stop, Mars. With a population of cockroaches having been introduced on Mars some 500 years prior to help prepare the way for human colonization, a manned mission sets out to the red planet with the aim of clearing away the bugs. Upon arrival, however, they discover that the roaches have evolved to huge, vicious creatures capable of wielding weapons.Based on the popular Manga series of the same name, Terra Formars is an action-packed space adventure brought to life by one of Japan’s most celebrated contemporary filmmakers.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High-Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA options
• Newly-translated English subtitles
• The Making of Terra Formars - feature-length documentary on the film’s production featuring a host of cast and crew interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
• Extended cast interviews
• Footage from the 2016 Japanese premiere
• Outtakes
• Image Gallery
• Theatrical and teaser trailers
• Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet with new writing on the film by Tom Mes

and

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Scared Stiff (Exclusive Slipcase Edition)
Limited edition slipcase edition! Available exclusively via Arrow in the UK and DiabilikDVD in the US
Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2RO4YUj
Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2MxyS9F
Release dates: April 22/23
TV star Mary Page Keller (Pretty Little Liars) appears alongside Andrew Stevens (10 to Midnight, The Fury) as a couple terrorised by an age-old curse in this much-underrated late-80s offering from director Richard Friedman.Keller plays Kate Christopher, a singer who moves into an old colonial mansion with her son and psychologist boyfriend David (Stevens). But when they make a strange and gruesome discovery in the boarded-up attic, it soon becomes clear that the mansion carries with it a dark and blood-stained past – and one that is about to terrorise them in the present.The second feature helmed by Richard Friedman, who went on to direct such genre favourites as Doom Asylum and Phantom of the Mall: Eric’s Revenge, Scared Stiff (AKA The Masterson Curse) builds to an astonishing practical FX-laden climax sure to please fans of 80s horror.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
• Original uncompressed Stereo audio
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary with director Richard Friedman, producer Dan Bacaner and film historian Robert Ehlinger
• Mansion of the Doomed: The Making of Scared Stiff – brand new documentary featuring interviews with Richard Friedman, Dan Bacaner, Robert Ehlinger, actors Andrew Stevens and Joshua Segal, special effects supervisor Tyler Smith and special effects assistants Jerry Macaluso and Barry Anderson
• Brand new interview with composer Billy Barber
• Image Gallery
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring two original artwork options
• Limited edition slipcase featuring original Graham Humphreys artwork
• Fully illustrated collector’s booklet with new writing on the film by James Oliver

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Lk3Pvs0fXk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M6L3D4bwfj4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I8zNWkhKN98" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brian T; 01-25-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

That plot description for Terra Formars is very confusingly worded.

"In the mid-21st century, humankind has been forced to look to colonising other planets as a means of combating overcrowding on Earth – their first stop, Mars. With a population of cockroaches having been introduced on Mars some 500 years prior to help prepare the way for human colonization."

The story's set in the 21st Century but the cockroaches were brought to Mars 500 years earlier... so, in the 1500s?

The Wikipedia plot summary says that the bugs were deposited in the 21st Century and the rest of the story takes place 500 years after that, in 2599.
Old 01-25-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some more new stuff announced this morning:

NEW US/CA TITLE: Keoma (Blu-ray)

Truly epic in scope, Keoma is considered by many to be one of the greatest spaghetti westerns.

Pre-order via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2MyKjxu
Release date: April 2

A strikingly original spaghetti western with a unique elegiac tone, Keoma truly is a one-of-a-kind classic of its genre… The legendary Franco Nero (Django, The Fifth Cord) stars in the titular role as a half-breed gunfighter who returns from the killing fields of the civil war to find his hometown riddled with the plague, its inhabitants terrorized (with the help of Keoma’s own estranged half-brothers) by tyrannical gang leader Caldwell (Donald O'Brien, Zombie Holocaust). Keoma’s father (Willian Berger, Sartana in the Valley of Death) welcomes his prodigal son’s return, but when Keoma saves a vulnerable pregnant woman (Olga Karlatos, Zombie Flesh Eaters) from Caldwell's thugs, the stage is set for a violent confrontation. With the help of his father and his friend, the freed slave George (Woody Strode, Spartacus), Keoma prepares to take a savage revenge on Caldwell and his gang.Directed with immense flair and virtuosity by veteran Enzo G. Castellari (who channels Sam Peckinpah and Sergio Leone in equal measure), Keoma is an epic film of Shakespearean and biblical allusions, which boasts compelling performances and thrilling violent action. Truly epic in scope, Keoma is considered by many to be one of the greatest spaghetti westerns. The film is presented here in a stunning new restoration with a wealth of informative and entertaining new extras.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• New 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
• Uncompressed mono 1.0 LPCM audio
• Original English and Italian soundtracks, titles and credits
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by spaghetti western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry C. Parke
• The Ballad of Keoma, a new interview with the legendary star Franco Nero
• Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, a new interview with director Enzo G. Castellari
• Writing Keoma, a new interview with actor and writer Luigi Montefiori AKA George Eastman
• Parallel Actions, a new interview with editor Gianfranco Amicucci
• The Flying Thug, a new interview with actor Massimo Vanni
• Play as an Actor, a new interview with actor Volfango Soldati
• Keoma and the Twilight of the Spaghetti Western, a newly filmed video appreciation by the academic Austin Fisher
• An Introduction to Keoma by Alex Cox, an archival featurette with the acclaimed director
• Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
• Gallery of original promotional images from the Mike Siegel Archive
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Simon Abrams and Howard Hughes

and

NEW UK TITLE: Black Moon Rising (Blu-ray)

A fast-moving, hydrogen-fueled action thriller written by John Carpenter

Pre-order on Blu-ray: http://bit.ly/2HrXTEk
Release date: April 15

Buckle up for ride in the Black Moon, a sleek, high-tech supercar, powered by hydrogen and capable of speeds of over 300mph!

Tommy Lee Jones (Rolling Thunder, Under Siege) stars as Sam Quint, a master thief working for the government who hides a computer disc loaded with evidence of corporate crime in a prototype supercar, the Black Moon. When a gang of thieves steal the car, Quint seduces their leader, Nina (Linda Hamilton, Terminator), to get to the disc. But in order to reclaim his property, Quint and Nina must break into an impenetrable skyscraper and take down Ed Ryland (Robert Vaughn, The Delta Force), the head of a dangerous stolen car syndicate…A fast-moving, hydrogen-fueled action thriller written by John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing), Black Moon Rising has earned admiration from cult movie audiences for its thrilling chase sequences, pounding synth score, and slick direction courtesy of Harley Cokeliss (Battle Truck, The Glitterball)

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original 35mm interpositive
• Uncompressed PCM 2.0 stereo audio and alternative 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• New audio commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Show Me: The Making of Christine
• Black Moon Ascending, a new interview with director Harley Cokeliss
• Thief in The Night: Producing Black Moon Rising, a new interview with producer Douglas Curtis
• Sound of Speed: Composing Black Moon Rising, a new interview with composer Lalo Schifrin and film music historian Daniel Schweiger
• Carpenter’s Craft, a new video essay on co-writer John Carpenter’s screenwriting career by author and critic Troy Howarth
• Making Black Moon Rising, an archival documentary featuring behind the scenes footage and cast and crew interviews
• Alternative Hong Kong version scenes, a presentation of selected scenes from the Hong Kong theatrical version with a different score and sound effects
• Theatrical trailer and radio spots
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Haunt Love
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kieran Fisher

They also announced a small bit of censoring being made to the SISTER STREET FIGHTER collection, specifically to SISTER STREET FIGHTER: HANGING BY A THREAD. Their post suggests this is only on the UK sets and not the US sets.

***SISTER STREET FIGHTER: HANGING BY A THREAD UK RELEASE INFO + ARTWORK REVEAL***

We would like to take this opportunity to let UK fans know that our upcoming release of Sister Street Fighter: Hanging By A Thread, will be censored (not cut) in one scene. This is due to a potentially indecent image of a minor used as set decoration in the lair of one of the villains - visible in one shot for approximately 31 seconds which the BBFC advised breached the Protection of Children Act 1978.

As this scene features important expository dialogue, instead of cutting it out completely we have decided to zoom into the other half of the frame, cropping out the offending part of the image entirely. Apart from this, all four films in the set will be released for the first time in the UK in all their bloody, bone-snapping uncut glory, including the gore and weapons scenes cut from previous UK releases of the first film! The US edition will be unaffected.

On a more positive note, we also want to take this opportunity to reveal the brand-new art for the Collection by celebrated artist R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien!

The Sister Street Fighter Collection is available in the UK on March 4th and the USA and Canada on March 5th, and can be pre-ordered via the following links.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-25-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I wonder what's going to happen with Arrow's Django. It appears that Blue Underground is blocking its release.
Old 02-05-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumb question for anyone who owns the Waterworld set. Are the longer cuts of the movie presented unedited or as if they were edited for television?
Old 02-05-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not an answer to the question above, but a little motivator from a recent arrow tweet regarding the Waterworld set:

Time is running out! Our feature packed WATERWORLD LIMITED EDITION is selling fast in all territories, once it's gone, it's gone!
Old 02-05-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

I think a more honest wording of that announcement would say: "Once it's gone, you'll have to wait for the streamlined Special Edition, which will have all the same disc contents but without the fancy box, book, poster or postcards."
Old 02-05-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Ughhh, I'd like to get Waterworld, but $35 is so expensive. Actually now $32.70.

Decisions, Decisions. But these Arrow titles do go out of print fast. I got the Hellraiser set, Reanimator and Creepshow 2 sets before they went out of print.
Old 02-05-19, 04:43 PM

i'm so glad i preordered minute Amazon had it up. it was like $25 and change, then i had credits and stuff and paid $7.00 all told for this amazing looking set...

looking forward to Audition.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-05-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

If you want to check out screenshots and such...

Waterworld (Arrow Video) Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.