Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Old 11-22-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Jumped on this with Amazon when it hit $50. That was my point.
Old 11-22-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did too.
Old 11-22-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

I put in my order Sunday night and chose the free SuperSaver shipping. I didn't really expect it to show up until sometime after Thanksgiving, but I got it in the mail today (Tuesday). Can't wait to view them!
Old 11-24-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Going to do the whole trilogy tonight. I found it odd the cases are in reverse when you open it i.e top to bottom rotk ttt and fotr. I had to rearrange them back in proper order. I think i have ocd
I got my set today and had the same order. They actually are in the correct order standing up, left to right.
Old 11-29-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Ordered mine Black Friday night with SSS & it arrived today. Watching the bonus features discs until Dec. 7th when my new bigscreen & blu ray player are scheduled for setup & delivery. Then I watch the movies.
Old 01-08-12, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this thread searching for issues with LoTR EE code redemption, and I just thought I'd post my results: I went to the WBDigital support website, searched on the title (I wound up having to do this for each of the three), chose "What should I do if my Blu-ray Disc or DVD is missing the Digital Copy insert or the authorization code field is blank?", and clicked on the "here" link to submit a support request. I then got a very pleasant surprise, as after entering the information and clicking submit, a redemption code was actually given to me where I would expect a verification screen! They must know they had a huge problem with this set, and are sending out codes fairly freely (after some kind of automated fraud screening, I would think). I was quite surprised, especially considering how idiotic WB is being about trying to squeeze even more money out of that manufactured issue, the "rental window".
Old 01-08-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amazon has it for $48.49.
Old 01-08-12, 02:00 PM
Banned

does this set have the documentaries that were included in the 5 disk sets of these? )The ones with like statures and bookends and shit)?
Old 01-08-12, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

f it's from the extended cuts on DVD. Yes. Sadly...they're just DVDs. The same damn DVDs. Not worth 48.49 if you ask me. I'd go w/ 40 considering I'm still getting the same features on the previous DVD sets....on DVD.
Old 01-08-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
does this set have the documentaries that were included in the 5 disk sets of these? )The ones with like statures and bookends and shit)?
Only the bonus DVDs from the 4 disc EE sets, plus the 2nd DVD from the LE set.

The 5th DVD in the "Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Sets" are not included. However, those are either available separately, or specific to the set.
  • The FOTR PSSEECGS had a DVD of "National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", which is available separately, although the set claims its DVD is a newer version with additional footage and photo gallery.
  • The TTT PSSEECGS had a DVD specifically on Weta Workshop and the Gollum statuette that came with the set.
  • The ROTK PSSEECGS had a DVD "Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony – A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth". This wasn't release separately, but Amazon has some listings of people selling off this DVD.
Old 01-08-12, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Only the bonus DVDs from the 4 disc EE sets, plus the 2nd DVD from the LE set.

The 5th DVD in the "Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Sets" are not included. However, those are either available separately, or specific to the set.
  • The FOTR PSSEECGS had a DVD of "National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", which is available separately, although the set claims its DVD is a newer version with additional footage and photo gallery.
  • The TTT PSSEECGS had a DVD specifically on Weta Workshop and the Gollum statuette that came with the set.
  • The ROTK PSSEECGS had a DVD "Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony – A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth". This wasn't release separately, but Amazon has some listings of people selling off this DVD.
OH ok. Thanks. I have The Two TOwers set with the Gollum bonus DVD and statue but I was really hoping that the ""Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony " that was on Return...was included. Hmmm. I dunno if I still wanna buy this then I currently have the 2-Disk theatrical cuts on DVD, The 4 Disk Extended Cuts (5 disks for Two Towers) and the Limited Editions on DVD with the Exclusive Costa Botes DOcs.
Hmmm. I guess if no new content is on this and the Howard shore feature isnt included I pay have to pass on this. Will have to think on it.
Old 01-08-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
OH ok. Thanks. I have The Two TOwers set with the Gollum bonus DVD and statue but I was really hoping that the ""Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony " that was on Return...was included. Hmmm. I dunno if I still wanna buy this then I currently have the 2-Disk theatrical cuts on DVD, The 4 Disk Extended Cuts (5 disks for Two Towers) and the Limited Editions on DVD with the Exclusive Costa Botes DOcs.
Hmmm. I guess if no new content is on this and the Howard shore feature isnt included I pay have to pass on this. Will have to think on it.
You already have all of the bonus content that's on this blu-ray set, so the only thing you'd be getting is the extended cuts in 1080p.

I'm sort of in the same boat, only I don't have the Costa Botes docs. I might pick up this set if it's available for under $30 at some point.
Old 01-08-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm sort of in the same boat, only I don't have the Costa Botes docs. I might pick up this set if it's available for under $30 at some point.
The set is already at $50 so you won't have long to wait.
Old 06-18-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Bumping to mention that I got the set for Father's Day (suggested it when it was Amazon's Deal of the Week recently) and the digital copies expire on 6/26/12.
Old 06-18-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't redeemed mine yet.
Old 06-25-12, 09:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Via blu-ray.com:

Individual Blu-rays for The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions

This summer, New Line and Warner Home Entertainment will bring the individual extended editions of the three films in director Peter Jackson's Academy Award-winning The Lord of the Rings Trilogy to Blu-ray.

These releases mark the first time the extended cuts have been available separately on the HD format. The trilogy includes:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Each individual five-disc set presents the features in their 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track; Warner's press release has not specified if these new sets offer additional A/V upgrades from the previously available fifteen-disc extended edition trilogy. The packages also contain all of the bonus supplements that the earlier edition had.

The individual Lord of the Rings extended editions street on August 28th.
Old 06-26-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Via blu-ray.com:

Individual Blu-rays for The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions
I know lots of people will say "what's the point?" but I'll quote myself from many years ago on this forum:
Originally Posted by Myself
I know I'm in the minority, but I always preferred the theatrical cuts of FOTR and ROTK to their extended editions, which ranged from needless scene extensions (Fellowship) to excessively bloated (Return). The EE of Two Towers, however, is excellent, mainly because it felt like there were whole chunks of the film missing it its theatrical cut.
Add in the fact that the theatrical BD's are generally dirt cheap, and I'm quite looking forward to this release/reissue/whatever.
Old 06-26-12, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree. I'll pick up TTT: EE eventually when the price comes down. I prefer the theatricals for FOTR & ROTK.
Old 06-26-12, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's interesting to read how some people prefer the theatrical cuts for some of the films. I still remember the outrage a lot of folks had when they released the theatrical versions first.
Old 06-26-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
It's interesting to read how some people prefer the theatrical cuts for some of the films. I still remember the outrage a lot of folks had when they released the theatrical versions first.
And I remember a few people saying they preferred the theatricals back then. The internet's an echo chamber, and negative opinions are typically more strongly expressed.

That said, I do think that there are more people who prefer the extended editions to the theatricals (of those that have actually thought about a preference). Also, some of the outrage was not over the theatricals being released, but that the Extended Editions were being deliberately held back so as to maximize sales of the theatrical editions, then trying to get at least some to double-dip on the EEs. If the EEs had been released at the same time as the TEs, there would've been less complaints.
Old 06-26-12, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
And I remember a few people saying they preferred the theatricals back then. The internet's an echo chamber, and negative opinions are typically more strongly expressed.

That said, I do think that there are more people who prefer the extended editions to the theatricals (of those that have actually thought about a preference). Also, some of the outrage was not over the theatricals being released, but that the Extended Editions were being deliberately held back so as to maximize sales of the theatrical editions, then trying to get at least some to double-dip on the EEs. If the EEs had been released at the same time as the TEs, there would've been less complaints.
Like I said. There was outrage over the theatricals being released first. I would also assume more people prefer the EE but then when I usually say something like that they'll always be someone demanding hard facts to back it up. We can at least say the EE fans were more vocal about it. I wonder how they'll re-release these films when The Hobbit hits home video?
Old 06-26-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I get there are people that like part of the theatricals and part of the extended editions, but the trilogies for each have been cheap enough to buy both. I know I got my EE for a $35 WM deal and the theatricals have been under $20, IIRC. So $55 for both versions of the trilogy on BD is very reasonable. Even if you're only wanting one of each film that's under $20 for each. Probably cheaper than mixing & matching various solo releases.

Plus the market for people that want some of one trilogy and some of the other has to be minuscule. It's great and I'm happy for you guys, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's for those that don't have the scratch to drop on the entire trilogy at once.
Old 06-26-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been a while since I've watched the EEs (and even longer since the TEs) but I think there was really only one scene in the whole saga that I'd excise and that's the very first one coming out of the intermission on ROTK. The one that shows Aragorn and his ghost army taking over the corsairs. Unnecessary and completely ruins the surprise later.

Other than that, I don't have any problem with the EEs, that I can recall. It's hard to worry about pacing in movies that average four hours each.
Old 06-26-12, 11:29 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All this talk about LOTR. Might pull the set out and watch it
Old 06-26-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I get there are people that like part of the theatricals and part of the extended editions, but the trilogies for each have been cheap enough to buy both. I know I got my EE for a $35 WM deal and the theatricals have been under $20, IIRC. So $55 for both versions of the trilogy on BD is very reasonable. Even if you're only wanting one of each film that's under $20 for each. Probably cheaper than mixing & matching various solo releases.

Plus the market for people that want some of one trilogy and some of the other has to be minuscule. It's great and I'm happy for you guys, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's for those that don't have the scratch to drop on the entire trilogy at once.
I can afford both trilogies, but it doesn't make much sense to buy 6 films when I'm only going to watch half of it.

Just looking at Amazon now: both sets would be about $120 total, while the individual theatrical discs are $10 each (and a couple of dollars less if buying used). I'm not in any rush to get these, so when I'm finally ready to purchase LOTR (new PC parts and equipment for some home remodeling projects have put a temporary kibosh on buying BDs), I figure I'll be able to get what I want for around $30.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.