Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Old 03-06-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Originally Posted by joltman

I'm guessing that means that for each film, we get one Blu-ray disc and then discs 3 and 4 from the Extended Edition DVDs, and disc two from the Limited Editions.
If that's the case, then this is probably a "pass" from me.

I'll wait until they do a real special blu-ray edition for these movies, wait for a significant price drop, or wait until they're released as movie-only editions.

I know that there are still quite a few deleted scenes that haven't been seen yet, and I'd really like to see the Aragorn vs Sauron fight from ROTK completed and included.
Old 03-06-11, 07:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Quest Is Over: All 3 Extended Versions in Dazzling 1080p and DTS HD-MA 5.1 Audio. Deluxe Set Includes 9 Special Features DVDs with over 26 Hours of Spellbinding Behind-the-Moviemaking Material Including the Rare Costa Botes Documentaries.
well that's wrong... the DVD's had stellar DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 sound, the blurays better not have 5.1
Old 03-06-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Why not just pack the special features for each one on BDs? It would make a decent 6 disc set. I'm not interested in getting the same 3 dvds per movie that I already have from the first time around with these extended versions.
Old 03-06-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
well that's wrong... the DVD's had stellar DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 sound, the blurays better not have 5.1
Just noticed this. Hopefully that's a typo...

The theatrical BDs were 5.1 with the matrixed back channel, correct? My back speakers were definitely occupied with those.
Old 03-06-11, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Not really interested in these at any kind of high price if all the extras are the same. I bought the theatrical BDs when they were $7.99 at amazon during Black Friday. I have the extendeds on DVD and will keep them as such unless the BDs come down to some unbelievable price. I smell a super-duper boxed set including these plus The Hobbit films down the road. I'll wait for that.
hearing this news...makes me regret I didn't get each BD for that price. Fuck.
Old 03-06-11, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Just noticed this. Hopefully that's a typo...

The theatrical BDs were 5.1 with the matrixed back channel, correct? My back speakers were definitely occupied with those.
correct, the theatrical cuts were matrixed, the extended cuts: discrete, and had a much fuller and aggressive back surround soundscape. The difference between the two is dramatic and obviousily the discrete mix is noticeably superior to the matrixed version. A great test comparison of the two is the attack of the witch king between King Theoden and Eowyn - the discrete is tighter, louder and includes sound that is just not present in the matrixed mix.
Old 03-06-11, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.1 sound would great, but most people don't have huge, expensive 6.1 systems.
Old 03-06-11, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.

Also, the theatrcial cut of TTT actually drags quite a bit. Particularly any scene regarding Eomer. He comes across as a complete dick in the theatrical cut and his scenes grind the film to a halt. The extended cut actually fleshes him out a whole lot better and takes him from annoying asshole in boring scenes to intruigingly troubled man in an interesting moral dilemma.
Are you sure about that ? Wasn't Smeagol/Gollum explained ? I've never seen the extended cuts, nor do I ever care to even if you paid me, but I seem to remember a scene where it shows Smeagol before he became Gollum.
Old 03-06-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.
It's not shown the the theatrical cut of FOTR, but in TTT, Frodo says that Gandalf told him Gollum's true name. I think most of the audience that only saw FOTR TE just assumed Gandalf told him off screen.

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Are you sure about that ? Wasn't Smeagol/Gollum explained ? I've never seen the extended cuts, nor do I ever care to even if you paid me, but I seem to remember a scene where it shows Smeagol before he became Gollum.
The scene you're thinking of is the opening of the third film, ROTK. So that's shown after Frodo says Gollum's true name. Interestingly, that flashback was originally supposed to be shown in TTT when Frodo says the name, but was cut because it didn't quite work there. Then it was going to be added into the EE of TTT, but then they decided it worked as the opening for ROTK.
Old 03-07-11, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

correct, the theatrical cuts were matrixed, the extended cuts: discrete, and had a much fuller and aggressive back surround soundscape. The difference between the two is dramatic and obviousily the discrete mix is noticeably superior to the matrixed version. A great test comparison of the two is the attack of the witch king between King Theoden and Eowyn - the discrete is tighter, louder and includes sound that is just not present in the matrixed mix.
Cool! I didn't have surround the last time I played the extendeds. I'll have to pull 'em out and check out those much-vaunted DTS tracks. I thought the theatrical BDs had pretty much reference quality audio, all three of them, so I look forward to having my mind blown further with discrete 6.1.
Old 03-07-11, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
6.1 sound would great, but most people don't have huge, expensive 6.1 systems.
Maybe, but if the discrete mix was on the DVDs, why not carry it over to the BDs? People might upgrade their systems eventually and will then really appreciate it. No reason to downgrade the mix for BD.

Heck, I have a cheap 7.1 system, and I want the discrete mixes. I look forward to checking them out on the existing DVDs, as I thought the matrixed versions were really good.

As I said, hopefully the info we've been given is a typo, and the sound on these BDs will be lossless versions of the discrete 6.1 tracks the DVDs got.
Old 03-07-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched the extended edition of TTT, And the dolby ex track had more bass and was a more aggressive mix than the dts mix. But the dts mixes on fellowship and return were better than their dolby mixes. weird...
Old 03-07-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

PRODUCT ALERT:
"The Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions)" is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in 2011 or 2012.
Old 03-07-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not shown the the theatrical cut of FOTR, but in TTT, Frodo says that Gandalf told him Gollum's true name. I think most of the audience that only saw FOTR TE just assumed Gandalf told him off screen.

The scene you're thinking of is the opening of the third film, ROTK. So that's shown after Frodo says Gollum's true name. Interestingly, that flashback was originally supposed to be shown in TTT when Frodo says the name, but was cut because it didn't quite work there. Then it was going to be added into the EE of TTT, but then they decided it worked as the opening for ROTK.

I am pretty sure that Gandalf tells Frodo what Gollum's real name is in the theatrical version of FOTR.

Its the scene in Moria where Frodo tells Gandalf they are being followed. Gandalf says "i know, its Gollum". And at some point while they speak of Gollum and how Frodo wishes Bilbo had killed him, I think Gandalf mentions he was "once called Smeagol" to show Frodo that he was a normal "person" like everyone else and it was the ring that destroyed him.
Old 03-07-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I am pretty sure that Gandalf tells Frodo what Gollum's real name is in the theatrical version of FOTR.

Its the scene in Moria where Frodo tells Gandalf they are being followed. Gandalf says "i know, its Gollum". And at some point while they speak of Gollum and how Frodo wishes Bilbo had killed him, I think Gandalf mentions he was "once called Smeagol" to show Frodo that he was a normal "person" like everyone else and it was the ring that destroyed him.
He only says "Smeagol" in the extended cut, but Frodo does say it in the theatrical cut of the The Two Towers.
Old 03-07-11, 09:00 AM

the preorder is up:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy Limited Extended Edition

List Price: $119.98
(Sale) Price: $83.99

Last edited by Giles; 03-07-11 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

from theonering.net
Old 03-07-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek

from theonering.net
... and that'd be why this one's "limited". I'm in.
Old 03-07-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
... and that'd be why this one's "limited". I'm in.
"That" being what, exactly?
Old 03-07-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
"That" being what, exactly?
The map and the cards pictured, I believe, along with the digital copies.

I'd be in with or without the extra stuff, though (I wasn't voicing added interested in whatever the "limited" packaging will be).
Old 03-07-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "cards" are clearly the same booklets from the DVDs.
Old 03-07-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The "cards" are clearly the same booklets from the DVDs.
You're right (just checked out the sets to refresh my memory). WB/NewLine are apparently resizing them then, since they're too big to fit in Blu-ray sized cases. Including booklets is a break from what they've been doing, though, and I'm not sure they'd be in any kind of individual releases.
Old 03-07-11, 09:51 AM

So are the extras (docs and stuff) on blu ray? Or are they just a carry-over from dvd? Cause if they're dvd, I think that's kind of cheap.
Old 03-07-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
So are the extras (docs and stuff) on blu ray? Or are they just a carry-over from dvd? Cause if they're dvd, I think that's kind of cheap.
It appears they will be on DVD...probably the same DVDs from the original EE sets packed in with the BDs.

They did the same thing with the theatrical BDs--just packed in the same bonus disc that came with the theatrical DVDs.
Old 03-07-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Good news, but gonna miss the dvd packaging... kinda wish they would've kept that design.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.